Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Neighbors Officially Named new UA Women's Basketball Coach(Merged)

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 24, 2017, 08:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

March 28, 2017, 06:04:39 pm #100 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:12:44 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 27, 2017, 08:28:40 pm
Here's a more recent one:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/12/23/razorback-athletics-make-top-20-dollar-wise

$3.5M Expenditure

$65,000  Revenue !!!!

IF Geno was interested what would you want  to pay him...................

We know it hasn't broke even but that doesn't mean it can't with the right coach. If you want the top coaches you have to pay and hold your breath that it works out. IF they are willing to pay as much as has been speculated on here I'm fine with it since that means they are finally TRYING to get in the big leagues with all the women's sports.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hog Grandpa has spoken

[tweet]846803180549681152[/tweet]
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

The authoritative sources are coming out of the woodwork!!!

Funny part as, as non-credible these guys may be, they are both probably correct! lol

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 28, 2017, 06:40:43 pm
The authoritative sources are coming out of the woodwork!!!

Funny part as, as non-credible these guys may be, they are both probably correct! lol

I'm holding off on following until it comes true.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

Prudent.

At least that guy claims to have known Neighbors personally for 24 years.

psycHOGlogist

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 28, 2017, 07:18:05 pm
Interesting read.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/mike-neighbors-finds-a-home-at-washington/

Why not just quote Saban. "I will not be the coach of Alabama".

IF there one think anyone needs to know about coaching moves is no matter what is thought to happen or not, anything can happen and anything will be said.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogtied85

To me it doesn't make sense to wait this long unless your new coach is still in the tournament.

flippinhogmana

March 29, 2017, 12:35:45 pm #109 Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:55:34 am by flippinhogmana
at least from what I hear.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Dwight_K_Shrute

It worked out pretty well bringing another Mike home.  Let's go 2 for 2.

psycHOGlogist

8 lb 6 oz baby Jesus approves this message! :-)

psycHOGlogist

And if whoever it might be doesn't satisfy you, at least we're not getting a high school coach with no college experience:

http://www.wkdzradio.com/Turner-Tapped-to-Lead-Murray-State-Women-s-Hoops/23050105

Ironhawg

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 29, 2017, 02:43:52 pm
And if whoever it might be doesn't satisfy you, at least we're not getting a high school coach with no college experience:

http://www.wkdzradio.com/Turner-Tapped-to-Lead-Murray-State-Women-s-Hoops/23050105

At least she has some experience coaching women, unlike other people who need not be named.

mbgrulz

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 29, 2017, 02:43:52 pm

OU got Sherri Coale in a similar situation. I know high school coaches who could coach circles around some of these college coaches.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 29, 2017, 04:38:43 pm
OU got Sherri Coale in a similar situation. I know high school coaches who could coach circles around some of these college coaches.

True but for everyone of those there area also several Jerry Fausts out there.  Most of the time that a jump like that happens (HS, or JC to Div 1) its because the coach has either a star player or more that they are bringing with them.  For example, I doubt that Nolan Richardson would have gotten his shot at TU if he hadnt just won the national junior college championship and wasnt bringing five D-1 (including Mike Anderson) players with him.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 29, 2017, 04:38:43 pm

That's a fair enough point, I suppose, Sherri was hired 20 years ago. There's been a lot of development in the coaching ranks since then. But ... as Ironhawg so subtly pointed out, not enough to stop us from hiring an announcer three years ago. 

PonderinHog

Impatience comes to those who have to wait. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 29, 2017, 07:05:31 pm
That's a fair enough point, I suppose, Sherri was hired 20 years ago. There's been a lot of development in the coaching ranks since then. But ... as Ironhawg so subtly pointed out, not enough to stop us from hiring an announcer three years ago.
Haha. Very true, and I know there are probably plenty of examples of high school coaches not succeeding in college.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've been stalking Mike Neighbors twitter account and have a few observations.

1.  He has tweeted since 3/21.  His tweet frequency ranges from a few days to a week or so, so this isn't too far out of the ordinary but still a bit odd if you ask me.

2.  Their last game was on 3/24.  No tweets after that, no proud of the team, thanking the Sr's etc.  Now again no big deal and I'm sure he thanked them and told them how proud he was in person, but still.

When I take all the data and run it through the algorithm I have developed it says their is an 85% chance that Mike Neigbors is our new coach.  Margin of error is  +/- John Pelphrey. 

Hogtied85

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 29, 2017, 08:26:39 pm
I've been stalking Mike Neighbors twitter account and have a few observations.

1.  He has tweeted since 3/21.  His tweet frequency ranges from a few days to a week or so, so this isn't too far out of the ordinary but still a bit odd if you ask me.

2.  Their last game was on 3/24.  No tweets after that, no proud of the team, thanking the Sr's etc.  Now again no big deal and I'm sure he thanked them and told them how proud he was in person, but still.

When I take all the data and run it through the algorithm I have developed it says their is an 85% chance that Mike Neigbors is our new coach.  Margin of error is  +/- John Pelphrey.

Dwight do you think an announcement will come tomorrow.

psycHOGlogist

snf6278

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 29, 2017, 08:26:39 pm

so your saying if it's a no go then we'll have to lay down and have a good bleed?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 29, 2017, 09:06:31 pm
Tomorrow or Friday is my guess.

Need to get it done tomorrow. Not sure they would announce on Friday since semis start then

bhager357

I searched for MN name under leaving Washington and did  not find any Washington gossip or speculation on such a move. This doesn't necessarily say anything, but I would think if there any concerns about him jumping ship, there would be some online gossip of such. My guess is Jeff will have some interesting conversations this weekend

bhager357

Just exchanged tweets with Doug Feinbetg of Seattle times. I asked if it was possible MN, might take UA. Job He responded it was possible. So here's hoping.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bhager357 on March 29, 2017, 10:43:09 pm
I searched for MN name under leaving Washington and did  not find any Washington gossip or speculation on such a move. This doesn't necessarily say anything, but I would think if there any concerns about him jumping ship, there would be some online gossip of such. My guess is Jeff will have some interesting conversations this weekend

My guess is he had those interesting conversations last weekend and into Monday and Tuesday.  I am told there are some last minute small things to yet be resolved. I once didnt take a job over one such small detail.  It is standard to pay moving expenses for a city manager.  When it came right down to it they announced they didnt do that sort of thing.  I took another job elsewhere a few months later.

ImHogginIt

Dwight_K_Shrute

Twitter update:  Mike Neighbors tweeted yesterday.

[tweet]847220220796305408[/tweet]

So I'm guessing CalSwish_Nike is AAU/Nike affiliate in California.  Nice that they know Coach Neighbors well enough to wish him happy birthday.

More interesting is his reply.  He is looking forward to catching up with them in Dallas.  I think it would be in Arkansas's best interest to get deal announced today so he can be in Dallas representing the Razorbacks.  Would be kind of awkward if he goes repping Washington then that Monday is announced as the Arkansas coach.

psycHOGlogist

Well, he had to get on also to follow back Macy Weaver. I think he's coming out of self-imposed exile somewhat.

But either way, it won't be long now before we know. I tend to agree with you that it would be aawwwk-wwwarrrdddd for him to go to Dallas decked out in purple/gold and then be announced as Ark coach. Unless he packs a lot of red stuff in his suitcase, too.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 30, 2017, 09:51:17 am
Well, he had to get on also to follow back Macy Weaver. I think he's coming out of self-imposed exile somewhat.

But either way, it won't be long now before we know. I tend to agree with you that it would be aawwwk-wwwarrrdddd for him to go to Dallas decked out in purple/gold and then be announced as Ark coach. Unless he packs a lot of red stuff in his suitcase, too.

With that being said we need to also jump on Destiny Littleton 2017 McDonald's All-American she decommitted from USC. She would be a great addition.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/202647/destiny-littleton

hawg1221

Putting an exclamation point after "Dallas" is a sign. He's referring to his excitement of coming home, being that Dallas is right down the road.. Just random deciphering.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 30, 2017, 10:05:12 am
With that being said we need to also jump on Destiny Littleton 2017 McDonald's All-American she decommitted from USC. She would be a great addition.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/202647/destiny-littleton

If it's Mike, he has recruited San Diego effectively from UW, but I'm just not sure that these Cali kids want to come to Arkansas (at least for basketball - for softball, it seems to be working reasonably well, but that's a different kind of kid sometimes).

hawg1221

If he were able to recruit California well, it would be solely on his name recognition and not the Razorback program. I can't imagine many California players wanting to leave the state for Arkansas.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 30, 2017, 10:36:12 am
If he were able to recruit California well, it would be solely on his name recognition and not the Razorback program. I can't imagine many California players wanting to leave the state for Arkansas.

Well, Deifel is doing it pretty well. A lot of the suburban (Orange County, for example) kids love the rural, spacious, pretty aspects of Fayetteville.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm wondering if the gun issue is effecting the hire.  I'm thinking on a couple fronts. 

1.  Jeff Long & company have to monitor the situation closely due to far reaching and long lasting ramifications so it could be taking them away from focusing on the hire. 

2.  Could the issue actually be a cause of concern for MN or any other top candidate?  It could affect recruiting, their could be penalties, a whole host of negative outcomes.  So if you are an established successful coach, leaving to take on Arkansas, the rebuild is already a tough sell.  Adding these issues on top of it makes it even more difficult.  May Mike or whoever it is, is sitting back and waiting to see how this plays out.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 30, 2017, 10:36:12 am
I live in Bella Vista and we have many people retired here from California.  We have a daughter in California and I hate to go there - way too many people and traffic.  I would never live there.

hawg1221

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 30, 2017, 11:25:46 am
   I live in Bella Vista and we have many people retired here from California.  We have a daughter in California and I hate to go there - way too many people and traffic.  I would never live there.

Well, that is a good point. Since I came to NWA in 1991 to go to college, I have met more people from California that have moved here than any other place and it's not even close. I don't know if young athletes that are still in high school think the same about coming here, but yes there are a lot of Californians here.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 30, 2017, 11:35:01 am
Well, that is a good point. Since I came to NWA in 1991 to go to college, I have met more people from California that have moved here than any other place and it's not even close. I don't know if young athletes that are still in high school think the same about coming here, but yes there are a lot of Californians here.

I keep trying to get people to use "The 49" "The 71-B", "The 412" "The 62" but it hasn't caught on yet.

Hogtied85

March 30, 2017, 12:13:52 pm #139 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:39:49 pm by Hogtired10
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 30, 2017, 11:41:49 am
I keep trying to get people to use "The 49" "The 71-B", "The 412" "The 62" but it hasn't caught on yet.

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/845033665885175809

Anything is possible. She has the ability to be special and if Mike is the one, then she will be in great hands....I think a lot of people will come here if it's done right. Tennessee has several players from the state of Oregon on their team and has one coming in. Lets remain hopeful that everything is done right this time. Jeff Long can not afraid to screw this up or he will be out.

psycHOGlogist

FWIW - she didn't look good at all in the McD's game, but then, that was sort of a jungle ball clown show. No objection to signing her! :-)

ETA - here's the box score: http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/aag/en/MediaCenter/2017/2017-game-materials/GirlsResults.html

jackflash

I would like this done a soon. But at the same time building Arkansas is a major deal. will be some more leans years before good time. Any coach taking this job will have to consider this. We as a fan base must know it will take time no matter who we hire

psycHOGlogist

Am hearing that Neighbors is already in Dallas for Final Four, so it'd be unlikely that he'd have an announcement/press avail until next week.

If it's him.

Good news is, it's just a quick hop from Dallas to the 'ville on Monday.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 30, 2017, 02:04:57 pm
Am hearing that Neighbors is already in Dallas for Final Four, so it'd be unlikely that he'd have an announcement/press avail until next week.

If it's him.

Good news is, it's just a quick hop from Dallas to the 'ville on Monday.

Just a got feeling, but with the way the state is looking right now would not be surprised if this does not happen.  If I was a coach wouldn't want any part of guns on campus or in stadiums and arenas, going home or not.  Not worth it if I can get a bump from my current employer and keep on keeping on.

hawg1221

If it doesn't happen, I'd say it's because of small issues at the last minute that can't get worked out. When I look at some of the people he's following on twitter, it makes me think he's serious about being the coach here. I'm not a twitter guy, so maybe I'm wrong.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 30, 2017, 02:29:36 pm
If it doesn't happen, I'd say it's because of small issues at the last minute that can't get worked out. When I look at some of the people he's following on twitter, it makes me think he's serious about being the coach here. I'm not a twitter guy, so maybe I'm wrong.
Wow, you're right ... his most recent follows include Macy Weaver, Grayce Spangler, Destiny Salary, Aaliyah Wilson, and Coriah Beck.  I say that is a big, big sign!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 30, 2017, 03:01:05 pm
Wow, you're right ... his most recent follows include Macy Weaver, Grayce Spangler, Destiny Salary, Aaliyah Wilson, and Coriah Beck.  I say that is a big, big sign!

I have adjusted my algorithm accordingly. 

NWAHog479

Mike would be insane to leave Washington and come here. We passed on him before and now he's making more $ than we would probably want to pay him. He's already been to a Final Four there, why come here? He already has been on the record of saying that he regretted saying the Arkansas job was his dream job because now Washington is his dream job.

NWAHog479

How much is his buyout? How much do we actually make, if any off of women's hoops?

hitman warrior23

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 30, 2017, 03:01:05 pm

Yes Agreed!!!!