Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 games in what are your impressions of the 3-4?

Started by Al Boarland, September 24, 2017, 07:08:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: daprospecta on September 25, 2017, 04:00:04 pm
This is how I feel.  When I watch this defense, I see improvements across the board but the big plays hurt us.  As a whole, I think we are a better defense but we still have a ways to go.
I can agree with that. I think it's time to show a little more confidence in our corners. Curl and Toliver isn't playing too bad. The soft scheme is holding them back.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

thebignasty

Doesn't cover up the lack of athleticism or playmakers on defense when pitted against a team with SEC offensive talent.

until we get better on D, I think we should just keep 15 men on the field on D and limit the offense to 5 yards per play.  Forcing the offense to 5 yards per play and taking a chance on them hitting  a big play against 15 defenders is a pretty good strategy.

hawgon

They haven't played anybody yet, but Minnesota has given up about 24 points in three games so far.

IronHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 25, 2017, 03:54:21 pm
The alignment doesn't matter if we're gonna keep on using the same soft scheme.

True.

Smith was ultra agressive and slowly got soft the longer he was at Arkansas.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ShadowHawg

Exactly where I thought we would be at this point in the season.

31to6

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:08:49 am
Is it what you thought it would be?
Scheme is irrelevant if your defense is passive and lacks fundamentals.

Should just send them out there and have them match up like pop warner. Would be just as effective.

Porkchop#1

A 5-2, 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, 2-7, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 or even the gap 8....it doesn't matter as long as we are struggling so turrible badly with the safety position.

Idahog

Typical slow start and unprepared look to the team.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

secfan30

It's had its moments where it looked good. Some good stops, 3 and outs. Then we gave up 5-6 huge plays against a$m.

LRHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 25, 2017, 09:57:56 am
Pretty much. Im rewatching the game right now and the defense was able to slow A&M's run game and defended their short passes pretty well. A&M absolutely wrecked our secondary. I don't think we have a defensive back with enough speed to properly defend someone like kirk

I have no issues with the scheme. I would like to see us blitz more. It's hard to blitz when Pulley and K Rich are both out, though. Those two were sorely missed, Saturday.

Cletus

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 25, 2017, 03:54:21 pm
The alignment doesn't matter if we're gonna keep on using the same soft scheme.

Right on.
See, what had happened was........

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 25, 2017, 03:54:56 am
For whatever reason the strategy has been to keep everything in front of them and for the A&M game to keep Mond in the pocket.

In short, we have a bend, but don’t break philosophy.

And we've had some great defenses over the years using that philosophy. But it doesn't work well when the problem with our bend but don't break philosophy is that it breaks often.

The defense looked good against TCU. We broke again and again against Texas A&M.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 26, 2017, 05:04:20 am
And we've had some great defenses over the years using that philosophy. But it doesn't work well when the problem with our bend but don't break philosophy is that it breaks often.

The defense looked good against TCU. We broke again and again against Texas A&M.

TCU missed several opportunities that had nothing to do with the D.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LRHawg on September 26, 2017, 01:25:45 am
I have no issues with the scheme. I would like to see us blitz more. It's hard to blitz when Pulley and K Rich are both out, though. Those two were sorely missed, Saturday.
I would like to see us TIMELY blitz a little more also. But you don't have to blitz to play aggressive in your face defense with at least one safety to help over the top.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 26, 2017, 06:21:59 am
Yep. They were self inflicted.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 03:51:13 pm
50 points to a very bad A$M team wit a freshman qb.

The overwhelming majority of A&M's points came on 4 big plays where either someone didn't stay home and cover the backside of the play (Mond's long run) or there was a blown coverage in the secondary. Other than those 4 plays, the defense played pretty well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 26, 2017, 06:21:59 am

That's where you're wrong. The intent of the defense in the TCU game was to keep Hill in the pocket and limit his short passing game forcing him to throw long which he's very poor at doing. Under Rhoads game plan, the defense gave him some deep opportunities knowing that he wouldn't complete them.

hawgon

Quote from: GuvHog on September 26, 2017, 08:29:23 am
That's where you're wrong. The intent of the defense in the TCU game was to keep Hill in the pocket and limit his short passing game forcing him to throw long which he's very poor at doing. Under Rhoads game plan, the defense gave him some deep opportunities knowing that he wouldn't complete them.

He hit is receiver in the hands in the endzone and it was dropped and they fumbled a snap on the two.  If those were part of Rhodes' game plan then why doesn't he put his psychic abilities to use elsewhere and start getting us some wins?

nwahogfan1

This is the same old CBB defense in a different package.  CBs 7 yards off the ball even when its 3rd and 2.  Not much if any blitzing.  Giving up a butt load of yards and points.  Nothing new.

YARN!

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 26, 2017, 08:33:42 am
He hit is receiver in the hands in the endzone and it was dropped and they fumbled a snap on the two.  If those were part of Rhodes' game plan then why doesn't he put his psychic abilities to use elsewhere and start getting us some wins?

Forcing TCU to throw long was part of the Hog defensive game plan because they knew Hill was poor at throwing the deep ball.

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on September 26, 2017, 08:20:43 am
The overwhelming majority of A&M's points came on 4 big plays where either someone didn't stay home and cover the backside of the play (Mond's long run) or there was a blown coverage in the secondary. Other than those 4 plays, the defense played pretty well.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on September 26, 2017, 08:47:01 am
Forcing TCU to throw long was part of the Hog defensive game plan because they knew Hill was poor at throwing the deep ball.
Come on Guv. Give it up. No defense game plan is to let anyone wide open. Deep or not.

Yer right.  TCU wasn't a very good team when we played them and neither were we.  TCU is better now and will continue to get even better.  We will improve some over time.  The 3-4 or any scheme won't work well until we have played it enough to understand it and we aren't there yet.  The scheme that needs the most work is mental attitude.  Only after we have an attitude adjustment will anything work well.

It is my opinion that the biggest difference in our D is that the NEW COORDINATOR  is coaching them.  He hasn't bee totally BBed yet and these Guys seem to want to play for him.  They have a little spirit that hasn't sapped out by BB yet.  The formation really doesn't matter, not that one may be better than another.  This D is currently playing on attitude and trying  as best they've been taught to run the scheme the coaches want run.

As for second team help, we don't have any because we haven't trained any.  At any given time we have from 74 to maybe 90 players on the sideline when one of our teams is on the field.  Please don't tell me there isn't some of them that could sub in with a little training.  Lazy coaching, un-informed coaching.

jm

Quote from: bcdeputy on September 24, 2017, 08:00:00 am
complete lack of any pass rush.  If the other qb has all the time he wants a receiver will get open no matter how good your defensive backfield is (ours isn't).  going to be a really long season in Fayetteville....

Complete lack of plan to rush the passer. We allow it to become 7 on 7 where the offense has the advantage.

311Hog

Quote from: jm on September 26, 2017, 01:41:06 pm
Complete lack of plan to rush the passer. We allow it to become 7 on 7 where the offense has the advantage.

^ this

If you blitz and give up a big play because you didnt get home i can live with that, but giving up 40+ yard gashes all while playing it "safe" on D should never happen.  I mean why in the world would you rush 3 and drop 8 only to let the QB run it 50 yards?  Bring the house and he hits the hot? so be it you tip your cap.

HognotinMemphis

My impression of the 3-4? This is a good impression of it:

Arkansas could run a 4-4-4 and still not defend against A&*M.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

31to6

Quote from: 311Hog on September 26, 2017, 01:56:39 pm
^ this

If you blitz and give up a big play because you didnt get home i can live with that, but giving up 40+ yard gashes all while playing it "safe" on D should never happen.  I mean why in the world would you rush 3 and drop 8 only to let the QB run it 50 yards?  Bring the house and he hits the hot? so be it you tip your cap.
In today's football your defense has to be disruptive. Even the definition of a "good defense" is evolving toward more emphasis on disruptive plays: TFL, sacks, QB hurries and, of course, turnovers. Good offenses are unstoppable. They are going to score. So the question, along with fundamentals like tackling, etc, is will your defense *force* mistakes? Will it score? Will it generate momentum-swinging big plays for you?  Will it steal possessions or flip the field?

The offenses are too good to just "make them earn it".

Every single good defensive game we have had under CBB has featured one key element: a bad opposing QB. A defensive philosophy predicated on your opponent sucking is just not going to win any championships. Apparently it won't even go .500.

Since spread offenses are so heavily focused on the abilities of the QB, both as a passing and running threat, you MUST HIT HIM.

Unless CBB changes *his* philosophy about defense, we are going to get to sit through more 4th quarter collapses.

Sed76

No rush on the QB. Can't consistently stop the run or pass. Still give up huge plays. Tackling is still an issue. On that long QB run the A&M guy had he pretty much just abused the last guy who was supposed to stop him. So pretty much exactly the same garbage we saw last year. Call it the 3-4 or whatever but so far it's not any better. Didn't expect to suddenly have a top 10 defense but expected some noticeable improvements but no so far.

IronHog

Quote from: 31to6 on September 26, 2017, 02:08:32 pm
In today's football your defense has to be disruptive. Even the definition of a "good defense" is evolving toward more emphasis on disruptive plays: TFL, sacks, QB hurries and, of course, turnovers. Good offenses are unstoppable. They are going to score. So the question, along with fundamentals like tackling, etc, is will your defense *force* mistakes? Will it score? Will it generate momentum-swinging big plays for you?  Will it steal possessions or flip the field?

Every single good defensive game we have had under CBB has featured one key element: a bad opposing QB. A defensive philosophy predicated on your opponent sucking is just not going to win any championships. Apparently it won't even go .500.

Since spread offenses are so heavily focused on the abilities of the QB, both as a passing and running threat, you MUST HIT HIM.

Unless CBB changes *his* philosophy about defense, we are going to get to sit through more 4th quarter collapses.

Agree 100%

Good offenses are going to get yards.  Can you force TO, FGs, and the occasional punt?

Bend but don't break is going to get abused

hawgon

Quote from: 31to6 on September 26, 2017, 02:08:32 pm

Everything about Bert's philosophy is as if he plans and plays football like he wishes it was instead of how it actually is.  Even Saban has modified both his offensive and defensive philosophy but not Bert.  No, we'll just plodding away trying to play like some piss poor replica of the 1985 Bears or whatever the last team was that Bielema thought played "real American football" was.

lstewart

With the 3 - 4, we have more team speed on the field. So when we give up those 70 yard plays, our guys are only running 5 yards behind the player going in to score, instead of 10 yards behind him!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 03:51:13 pm
50 points to a very bad A$M team wit a freshman qb.

I think you are wrong about the pretty bad part...

johnny cash

311Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 26, 2017, 04:02:47 pm

also the defense didn't stupidly kick the ball to Kirk for that lovely kick off return so it was only 43 points

Smashmouth2004

You can't have Agim stunting 2 gaps to his right, NT stunting to his right and then having the right end stunting to fill Agim's gap without the LB's filling! Yes, it's the scheme that caused the defensive break downs.

31to6

Quote from: IronHog on September 26, 2017, 02:28:54 pm
Bend but don't break is going to get abused
These days "bend but don't break" is pretty much "losing less quickly".

31to6

Quote from: hawgon on September 26, 2017, 02:34:07 pm
Everything about Bert's philosophy is as if he plans and plays football like he wishes it was instead of how it actually is.  Even Saban has modified both his offensive and defensive philosophy but not Bert.  No, we'll just plodding away trying to play like some piss poor replica of the 1985 Bears or whatever the last team was that Bielema thought played "real American football" was.
It is not really even his fault. The meta-game has changed. Smash-mouth defense is now *against the rules*. You just cannot physically punish the offense (esp the WRs and QBs) like you could even just 10 years ago. Offenses running the RPO are essentially running a scheme that is borderline cheating (illegal receiver downfield almost every play), but by convention it rarely gets called so defenses are back on their heels and cannot release their coverage and crash down on the RB/QB just because an OL is blocking 5 yards downfield. PI calls are getting more and more arbitrary and touchy-feely. And so on.

But when the meta-game changes, you have to be willing to change your guiding principles. He seemed to indicate that he had adjusted, by moving to a scheme that puts a bit more speed on the field. But he is still allowing or forcing his DC to call gutless, conservative plays even in close games.

Also, the days of a 10 point lead with 5 minutes go go in the 4th quarter being almost guaranteed are over. With offensive proficiency, even 21 point 4th quarter comebacks seem to happen all the time.

Wildhog

The 3-4 fits our personnel better.  We just can't recruit 4-3 linebackers at an SEC level.  We do, however, sign a ****load of LB/DE tweeners that are perfect for the 3-4.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Quickdraw

I like a 3-4 scheme. In order for it to work effectively  in the SEC you gotta have speed which is what we are missing.

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 06:12:00 pm
The 3-4 fits our personnel better.  We just can't recruit 4-3 linebackers at an SEC level.  We do, however, sign a ****load of LB/DE tweeners that are perfect for the 3-4.

That's why they need to run 4-2-5

IronHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 26, 2017, 04:02:47 pm

ATM and TCU are just teams

Watched part of ULL vs ATM.  ULL was giving ATM fits

hehawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 25, 2017, 03:54:56 am
For whatever reason the strategy has been to keep everything in front of them and for the A&M game to keep Mond in the pocket.

In short, we have a bend, but don't break philosophy.

To be honest I along with others are tired of hearing that philosophy. Play sound defense...is that to much to ask?
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ballz2thewall

doesn't matter if she's blond, brunette, red or raven.

if the body is crap, she's a 4 a.m. pickup and dump.
The rest of the frog.

Sed76

If I remember correctly A&M only punted once in the second half. That's not good defense no matter how you spin it.

code red

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:08:49 am
Is it what you thought it would be?
Scheme be dammed.  It the jimmies and the jacks that make a defense. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Al Boarland

Quote from: code red on September 28, 2017, 03:02:49 pm
Scheme be dammed.  It the jimmies and the jacks that make a defense.

It was stated the roster better fit the 3-4 many times in the offseason on HV.

carolinahogger

It's a distraction.  The defense is not up to SEC levels in talent and coaching.  Now that the novelty of the 3-4 is wearing off, and we are racking up the losses...       BEHOLD!!!   THE STEAMBOAT PACKAGE!!!