Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mack Brown to possibly retire?

Started by Billy Bayou, December 01, 2011, 02:58:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Bayou

JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn
According to a source Texas Longhorn head coach Mack Brown will retire this Saturday after the game against Baylor

Remember the earlier rumor?

Divot

I'm giddy about even the rumor of Saban leaving the SEC. Not sure what I'd do if he left for Texas and Les left for the NFL. Fun to just think about even if it's not likely.

Hambunctious

I did read something about Les getting NFL offers.  Jacksonville maybe? That would be great for him.

I can't see Saban going to UT, and neither would BP.  The SEC is the place to be.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

Pa-Paw

I would seriously doubt an unnamed source. However, there would be a huge shake-up in the coaching community it this did indeed happen.

arkiehawg

Quote from: Billy Bayou on December 01, 2011, 02:58:34 pm
JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn
According to a source Texas Longhorn head coach Mack Brown will retire this Saturday after the game against Baylor

Satan, errr Saban will look good in Burnt Orange... ::hornsdown::

budcampbellfan

Funny, they try to hire Saban at $10,000,000/yr in an effort to break everybody else's bank in the market for great coaches. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

RAZORBACKER60

You know this might sound crazy but I have alway thought that Miles would be a good pro coach. The problem with him going is John Chavis would become the head coach, and Chavis who has built this defense!  Saban is not going anywhere, why would he?  Btw Texass is not the big bad ass it thinks she is!  Their tradition is great but she is not Bama!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on December 01, 2011, 03:09:03 pm
You know this might sound crazy but I have alway thought that Miles would be a good pro coach. The problem with him going is John Chavis would become the head coach, and Chavis who has built this defense!  Saban is not going anywhere, why would he?  Btw Texass is not the big bad ass it thinks she is!  Their tradition is great but she is not Bama!

It wouldn't fit Saban's SOP to stay at Bama much longer.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

nwarazfan

Quote from: Billy Bayou on December 01, 2011, 02:58:34 pm
JakeLebahn Jake Lebahn

"retire"  LOL

Sure.  He is "retiring" like Nutt "left" to take the Ole Miss job.

This is the best job in college football.  They haven't had an elite coach since Royal.  We'll see if they finally go after one this time. 

Ulysses_S_Grunt

I can see Saban going, he seems to like rebuilding.

In my opinion he'd be even scarier at Texas than he is at Bama

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 01, 2011, 03:18:04 pm
"retire"  LOL

This is the best job in college football.  They haven't had an elite coach since Royal.  We'll see if they finally go after one this time. 

Yes, I begrudgingly admit TX and probably USC are probably the programs best positioned to be dominant year in and year out with the right coach. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: anaxagoras on December 01, 2011, 03:20:16 pm

Exactly.  Rebuilding is his SOP.  And he'd probably be in the NCG 2 out of every 3 years with TX.  I imagine he'd like to win another NC with a 3rd team...unprecedented.

Billy Bayou

Quote from: anaxagoras on December 01, 2011, 03:20:16 pm

Somebody to jumpstart the LHN and finally pull the trigger on the B12's implosion.

The_Iceman

That coaching search would be very interesting.....

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on December 01, 2011, 03:09:03 pm
Saban is not going anywhere, why would he?  Btw Texass is not the big bad ass it thinks she is!  Their tradition is great but she is not Bama!
The burnt puke under the right guidance would contend for the title every year.  There is no excuse why they shouldn't.  They have #1 athletic budget in college football, a RIDICULOUS recruiting base, great football facilities, and Austin is a kick ass town if you're a college kid.

Saban and the burnt puke would dominate things.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Hawgon

Saban would be worth whatever they had to pay him in just the extra money they would make from the LHN if they hired him.

Make no mistake, Texas almost HAS to make a big move like this.  Having the LHN to support and being in the position they have put themselves in, they simply do not have the luxury of allowing their success to taper off under a coaching sliding towards retirement.  They can't afford to go the way of Florida State under Bowden of Penn State under Paterno.  I would not be surprised at all if Brown is pushed out the door to a happy "retirement" after this year.

nwarazfan

Texas may be too easy for Saban.  Although recruiting to LSU and Bama aren't exactly hard either. 

oldman1015

i don't know nick saban so i can't say what he will do. i would coach texas for 10 mill a year and have a cupcake schedule. 
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Incrediboar on December 01, 2011, 03:01:07 pm
I'm giddy about even the rumor of Saban leaving the SEC. Not sure what I'd do if he left for Texas and Les left for the NFL. Fun to just think about even if it's not likely.

If that's the case, why don't we just join the Big East?  If we are so pitiful that we can NEVER beat Bama and LSU as long as they have Saban and Les, I say we just tuck our tails and change conferences.  I'm sick of the loser mentality.  We have Bobby freaking Petrino and we are on our way up.  I hope Les and Saban stay there forever.  Our day is coming. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Dropkick

I have always worried about the Texas job coming open. It is one job I don't think Petrino could turn down. I don't care what the buyout is those bassterds have the money if they wanted him badly enough.

thirrdegreetusker

Not surprising, if true. The UT faithful are not pleased with these last two seasons.

hogsanity

Lets see back to back sub par years after playing for the bcs title.  Pretty much going to have the same players next year, and now the ONLY rival to hang his hat on beating is OU, which is not likely to happen with the current crop of players both teams have.  The only reason there is a question is that yet again A&M only played the 1st half of their game and lost at the end.  So it is easy to see why Mack might "retire"

As for Saban.  Why not.  Start out ranked highly every year, have all the recruits anyone would ever need within a 3 or 4 hour drive ( like he drives anywhere ).  Only one other "power" team in your league, and YOUR OWN FREAKING TV NETWORK.  Or I can stay at Bama in a division where at one point this year the #1 and #3 teams in the nation were also located.  Oh, and they will pay me 6mil more per year too? 

This looks like a no brainer.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Dropkick on December 01, 2011, 03:58:11 pm
I have always worried about the Texas job coming open. It is one job I don't think Petrino could turn down. I don't care what the buyout is those bassterds have the money if they wanted him badly enough.

Maybe it's just me, but BP doesn't fit the TX culture...at all.  I don't see him being truly interested in that job.  That said, I'd be shocked if he wasn't on their short list.

Dropkick

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 01, 2011, 04:01:35 pm
Maybe it's just me, but BP doesn't fit the TX culture...at all.  I don't see him being truly interested in that job.  That said, I'd be shocked if he wasn't on their short list.
Please be right about his interest or lack of same.

ur

I would rather play saban and texas for the nc every year than saban and bama for the sec west championship every year. Go saban. Make this a two horse division.

rljjr

Not worried. I don't think it's a good fit for BP. He's found his fit. He can win here with us and it will be far more satisfying.

nwarazfan

Petrino does not fit the teasippers image.  Don't worry about that.  Petrino wouldn't be anymore welcome in Austin than he would Waco. 

Roadrunner

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 01, 2011, 03:14:27 pm
It wouldn't fit Saban's SOP to stay at Bama much longer.

he has said that he hates not being able to go out to dinner or go anywhere without being swarmed by the redneck nation.  guy can't even put gas in his car without a mob. he's also said the fans need to get a life.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Hawgon

Another thing that figures against Petrino going to Austin is the LHN.  They pretty much have 24/7 access to the program including coach's meetings, player position meetings, and everything else.  Can anyone here imagine Petrino dealing with that kind of media presence well and being happy with it?  I can't.  And remember, it isn't an option for the next Texas coach.  It is a contractual obligation.  The school and the coach MUST provide that kind of access.  I really don't think Mack Brown has been happy with it either from some things I've heard and it may be a factor in his "retirement".  It may be more voluntary than some of us believe.

Hoggish1

IT's not about the $ with Petrino.  He wants to do it at Arkansas in the best conference.  Saban won't go there either. less miles might.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 01, 2011, 04:22:19 pm
Another thing that figures against Petrino going to Austin is the LHN.  They pretty much have 24/7 access to the program including coach's meetings, player position meetings, and everything else.  Can anyone here imagine Petrino dealing with that kind of media presence well and being happy with it?  I can't.  And remember, it isn't an option for the next Texas coach.  It is a contractual obligation.  The school and the coach MUST provide that kind of access.  I really don't think Mack Brown has been happy with it either from some things I've heard and it may be a factor in his "retirement".  It may be more voluntary than some of us believe.

and say what you will, Saban fits into this category as well. He isn't a media darling....he tolerates them.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Ftsmithmike

If Texas pays a coach ten million the faculty should go OWS on their campus. No way CFB should be that damn important.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

Billy Bayou

For the record apparently the TX admin has stated this doesn't even deserve a response and the chipper stated he's been told Mack doesn't plan to retire anytime soon.

Obviously both statements are very loosely stated but could mean the story is bogus.  Who knows?

Mo_Better_Hogs

It's a real bitch when your good quarterback graduates. Ask Urban Meyer.

popcornhog

Quote from: nwarazfan on December 01, 2011, 03:18:04 pm
"retire"  LOL

Texas is the best job in college football? Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame would beg to differ.
WPS

GoBucks

I'm sure this will get me flamed but Petrino would be insane not to consider (if not take)the Texas job if it was offered to him.  Saban too.  Actually, any coach in the country.   

El Puerco

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on December 01, 2011, 04:30:33 pm
If Texas pays a coach ten million the faculty should go OWS on their campus. No way CFB should be that damn important.

Saban is worth 10 million a year.  Do you think Alabama wants a refund on the 5 or so they're giving him now?
Imagine Texas with a coach who knows what he's doing.  A coach that knows exactly who he wants to recruit.

popcornhog

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on December 01, 2011, 04:30:33 pm

Coaches salaries come primarily from donors. It's not tax money. It's not the same pot(s) that professors draw their salaries from.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: El Puerco on December 01, 2011, 04:43:45 pm
Saban is worth 10 million a year.  Do you think Alabama wants a refund on the 5 or so they're giving him now?
Imagine Texas with a coach who knows what he's doing.  A coach that knows exactly who he wants to recruit.

I haven't seen the hard numbers, but I would guess that Saban could generate enough additional revenue to cover $10 million/year. Saban is maybe the only coach that would be worth the gamble though.
WPS

Hawgon

Quote from: TxRzrbak on December 01, 2011, 04:29:53 pm
and say what you will, Saban fits into this category as well. He isn't a media darling....he tolerates them.

Yeah, except that Saban hasn't been slapped down by reality yet.  Sure, he wasn't that successful at Miami but he wasn't fired and he wasn't hated.  He left on his own terms.

BP on the other hand, endured so much and was so roundly and unfairly criticized after he left Atlanta, that he is very aware and appreciative of how well he has things now and I think, would be extremely leery of jumping into another situation that could backfire like Atlanta did for him.

Blue35

Mack needs to go to a nursing home.

Calling All Hogs

If Saban bolts I hope their is a Shula offspring to take his place. Maybe Bill Curry has a kid?  :)

I would hope Bama hires someone good enough to beat Auburn every year of course.

Cartoon Man

I hope they don't come looking at BP.  They could afford the buyout.

popcornhog

Quote from: GoBucks on December 01, 2011, 04:42:22 pm
I'm sure this will get me flamed but Petrino would be insane not to consider (if not take)the Texas job if it was offered to him.  Saban too.  Actually, any coach in the country.

Correct on both counts.
WPS

board

Saban would go simply for the challenge of beating the SEC at it's own game and he could likely do it. One last go around before retirement...

Blue35

Quote from: GoBucks on December 01, 2011, 04:42:22 pm
Money talks.

Hawgon

And Austin would be far more "normal" than Tuscaloosa.  All those things that Bama fans think are so cool, like falling down on their knees in his presence, kowtowing and backing away from him when leaving the room, and tugging their forelocks in obeisance to CNS, well, most people think they are creepy.  So, he might actually be looking to get out of the redneck fishbowl and get to a place that is a bit more laid back and cosmopolitan.

TeufelHog

Bet Muschamp is a little PISSED about that if true.

GoBucks

Quote from: Blue35 on December 01, 2011, 05:03:21 pm
Money talks.

You seriously think money is the only reason he or any other coach would consider it?