Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gene Chizik is right...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, September 23, 2017, 11:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

On SEC nation,  he said Arkansas' biggest problem is not protecting Austin Allen.  He said a quarterback can't be good on his back.  He is right.  Austin was running for his life almost every play. How many sacks did he suffer, five or six? Ridiculous.  When I watched some of the other games today,  the quarterbacks had much better protection.  I think if Bielema can fix that one problem,  it will improve the team greatly. Sure, there are some other issues, like receivers not catching some balls,  but the protection from the offensive line has to be fixed. 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

RazorbackAlways

Letsroll1200

He had all off-season to fix the line. It's worse than it was last season.

Dr. Starcs

But I thought Kurt Anderson was an expert technician. Lol

jst01

These insane posts about fixing 10% of the problem are funny. It's not even a matter of in game action!! The problem is the architect!

go hogues

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 23, 2017, 11:04:17 pm
And from a guy who puts the oline in first class and on the cover of the media guide.

Pathetic and inexcusable.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

regi

That's a problem,  but we gave up 507 yards and 50 points. This team has a lot of problems.  The offense sucked  against TCU,  the defense sucked today,  against a Fr QB and an OL that had started 10 different players in 4 games.

GunnerHawg70

I glad it's being noticed and said in the big scheme of things - AA or any other QB needs to have a chance to perform or it's doom and gloom!!! I watched quite a few games today including Hogs and the difference is damn near every QB had a semi-clean to clean pocket. AA had better protection in the 4th and look what happened. The OT pick was just a poor decision on AA and shouldn't have been called in the first place by CDE.

Now the defense...78pts in two games is terrible :puke:🤢

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: regi on September 23, 2017, 11:08:05 pm
That's a problem,  but we gave up 507 yards and 50 points. This team has a lot of problems.  The offense sucked  against TCU,  the defense sucked today,  against a Fr QB and an OL that had started 10 different players in 4 games.
Dude, Freshman QB didn't beat Hogs...Christian Kirk did. Why can't anyone call that out?!?! That dude torched the Hogs for 3 TDS!!!

code red

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 23, 2017, 11:02:23 pm
What about the defense?
no doubt everybody claimed it was so much better after TCU. I was laughing the whole time.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HardCore

I thought you was going say it is better to pay the $250,000 for the quarterback.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

jst01

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 23, 2017, 11:13:26 pm
Dude, Freshman QB didn't beat Hogs...Christian Kirk did. Why can't anyone call that out?!?! That dude torched the Hogs for 3 TDS!!!

What is your point? It's always someone. The other team was better. The other team has been better 23 out of 33 games now in conf play. Rough

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 23, 2017, 11:01:24 pm
On SEC nation,  he said Arkansas' biggest problem is not protecting Austin Allen.  He said a quarterback can't be good on his back.  He is right.  Austin was running for his life almost every play. How many sacks did he suffer, five or six? Ridiculous.  When I watched some of the other games today,  the quarterbacks had much better protection.  I think if Bielema can fix that one problem,  it will improve the team greatly. Sure, there are some other issues, like receivers not catching some balls,  but the protection from the offensive line has to be fixed.
That position will be the downfall of Bielema and it wont be because the problem isnt fixable. When Pittman left it got ugly between him and Bielema. Bielema said that it wasnt a big deal because he could easily replace pittman. Getting rid of anderson would be the equivalent to saying he was wrong, and thats not gonna happen
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

razorbackred1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 23, 2017, 11:04:17 pm

This ..... a lot worse!!!!!

moses_007

AA was sacked 6 times, rushed about two dozen more times.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: jst01 on September 23, 2017, 11:16:11 pm
What is your point? It's always someone. The other team was better. The other team has been better 23 out of 33 games now in conf play. Rough
Well since you want to answer for someone else then let's do this...The response was for "regi" saying a freshman QB beat the Hogs. I'm just saying if the boys would've locked down Kirk, we would've had a different outcome. Now I do agree 23L out of 33 games is sh*tty and that is a hard pill to swallow. Thx for asking me my point👍🏽😒

azhog10

Austin also held the ball A LOT!!! I liked what Kelly brought to the game.

Boarsnest

Quote from: code red on September 23, 2017, 11:15:03 pm
no doubt everybody claimed it was so much better after TCU. I was laughing the whole time.

Those of us that mentioned the defense after TCU got ridiculed. If you watch the game again, TCU left a lot of points on the field because of their mistakes not because of our stellar defensive play. Yes the offense played much worse in the TCU game but the defense was porous in that one to, TCU should have had 3 more scores in that game. It seems in the past if we were weak on offense that we could depend on defense and special teams play or if defense was weak we had good offensive play. Bret's teams are the worst overall prepared teams of any coach that we have had since JFB ended his coaching career.

I have pulled for Bret the whole time he has been the coach, but the MO and VT game last year soured me. I started the year like most here did, optimistic that maybe this was Bret's year, I hate it but it is time for a change. I hate it for Bret but he will be fine, Arkansas paid the man well and thanks to Jeff we are not done paying him. It is time to cut our loses at the end of the season and move on.

MushroomCloudHog

How many times has Bert cried at  the podium? I sure would like to see him cry after some big wins.

Al Boarland

How many of you thought their would be sig improvement on the line leading up to the season?

Boarcephus

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 23, 2017, 11:02:23 pm
What about the defense?

Yep.  You'd think scoring 43 in regulation ought to be enough to win.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2017, 07:25:01 am

Wait until we play a D with a pulse.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2017, 11:48:28 pm
AA was sacked 6 times, rushed about two dozen more times.

I feel bad for Austin Allen..Kid loves the Razorbacks and is playing for a coach who hasn't helped him in anyway. I watch a lot of football and haven't seen any other oline allow their QB to be hit so easily and often. We are NOT losing because of Austin it was the defense yesterday but it will be another reason next time.

Winners win and losers lose..BB is a loser.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:27:26 am
Wait until we play a D with a pulse.

Had high hopes for Rhodes but he plays the BB soft hope they make a mistake defense. We should have blitzed that QB and forced mistakes.

hogcard1964

Quote from: code red on September 23, 2017, 11:15:03 pm

The D is worse this season than last year.  We've given up 78 points to two FBS schools so far this season.  One of those teams is awful.  The one that lit the Hogs up for 50.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 07:45:21 am
The D is worse this season than last year.  We've given up 78 points to two FBS schools so far this season.  One of those teams is awful.  The one that lit the Hogs up for 50.

Impossible.

"It can't be worse than last season"

Signed,

Hogville

Al Boarland

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on September 24, 2017, 07:36:58 am
I feel bad for Austin Allen..Kid loves the Razorbacks and is playing for a coach who hasn't helped him in anyway. I watch a lot of football and haven't seen any other oline allow their QB to be hit so easily and often. We are NOT losing because of Austin it was the defense yesterday but it will be another reason next time.

Winners win and losers lose..BB is a loser.

I personally think his lack of composure hurts the team. To what degree, I don't know. I just know it doesn't help.

Hawgphish

Coach B, in his post game presser called the O line a hodge podge unit.  Why is that?  Can we not find the best 5 and let them develop chemistry.  When he makes comments like that, it makes them appear like they don't know what they are doing.

DeltaBoy

It all on our Great Oline Head Coach who failed over 5 years to maintain a consistent Oline!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hawgphish on September 24, 2017, 07:51:23 am
Coach B, in his post game presser called the O line a hodge podge unit.  Why is that?  Can we not find the best 5 and let them develop chemistry.  When he makes comments like that, it makes them appear like they don't know what they are doing.

You don't think they are playing who they think the best 5 are?

jimmur74

The REAL problem is TALENT!! You can not "fix" anything when you are working with sub par talent to you opposition. Why would anyone think that this team could or would be better on both sides up front verses last year? They are the same players basically. 3/4 4/3 whatever doesnt matter. Its TALENT. This is the definition of insanity folks. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

TDHawgs

Quote from: Hawgphish on September 24, 2017, 07:51:23 am
It's not an appearance.. they really don't know what they are doing it looks like.

Qui Gon Jinn

Its not just talent.  You can overcome some talent issues with scheme, conditioning, and motivation.  Notice I didn't say you can overcome all talent issues.  Nutt was famous for his ability to motivate a team to play above its talent level.  I'm not saying I have the answers, because I don't.  And I hate to say anything about the coaches.  My dad was a coach and he was a good one.  I can remember when he didn't have any talent to coach though.  There were some tough times.  But he changed tactics to fit the talents of his team and they were always the best conditioned team on the court. I think this is a cornucopia of problems, coaching and talent included.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

razorsharptusk

Some of Allen's sacks are on him.  Not all Oline.
GO HOGS!!

HognotinMemphis

It was 6 sacks allowed yesterday. And that after giving up a SEC leading 35 sacks last year. I think the O line allowed 6 sacks against TCU too. So 12 in 2 games already. They will exceed the number allowed last year easily.

It always goes back to the head coach. Bielema said he was going to make Arkansas O line U. He said he was going to control the lines, which is what starts everything. Here in year 5, and last year, the O line is arguably the worst in the SEC and the program is the furthest thing from O line U. It's closer to "Embarrassing O line U" than anything else.

Did anyone else notice how much time the A&M QB had? He was rarely hurried. May have been sacked 1 time...do not recall it though.

If Bielema could correct the O line problem, he would have done so after last year's debacle that was the O line. He is no more capable of correcting the O line problems via coaching and recruiting than he is capable of beating A&M.

By the way, it the O line was better, the offense would obviously be better. Less 3 and outs, etc. And if the offense is better, the defense automatically gets better.

Bielema can get emotional at post-game pressers, and say the kids are working hard, and that they will correct in game errors during practice next week, but it never seems to make any difference in the games. They still play badly, give up big plays, too many 3 and outs, cannot protect the QB, and on and on. Example: gave up a kick off return for a TD yesterday. That was the first KO return for a TD by A&M in 7 years. Of course, we allow it and it can be argued that was a direct cause of Ark losing this game.

If I were the AD, I would already have my mind made up on what to do with Bielema after the last game in November...unless I do not care about putting notches in the W column.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FineAsSwine

Austin Allen needs some blocking and a couple more playmakers at receiver. Kid is a really good quarterback who is getting beat up every game.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogcard1964

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 24, 2017, 09:17:35 am
Some of Allen's sacks are on him.  Not all Oline.

True

But I rewatched the game and the entire right side of the line has to be replaced. And I hate to say it, but Ragnow was beaten several times yesterday also. 

But there's so many other issues that have to be addressed. Rhoads has to go along with his 3-4. Agim has no help, the special teams are a mess, we now have no wide receivers...  Too many more to mention...

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2017, 07:25:01 am
Yes defense keeps them under 43. Win.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

MuskogeeHogFan

He also said that when we passed utilizing play action, he had better protection.
Go Hogs Go!

KennyForAD

Reality is opposite of your position.   When everything is great - good protection, open receivers, It makes Allen APPEAR to be a good qb, but he is NOT.  Yes, the line is horrible, and receivers run poor routes... but Allen is just as bad as they are.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 24, 2017, 09:42:55 am
Yes defense keeps them under 43. Win.

5 big plays for 287 yards that scored or led to most of their points. Aside from those 5 big plays the defense game up 214 yards. 3.3 yards per play except for those 5 plays. They played good enough for us to win on 92.8% of the plays they defended. It's that other 7.2% of plays that sealed our loss.

Of course giving them the ball at our own 49 with a failed pooch kick on a KO late in the game when we were trying to protect a 3 point lead, didn't help.

Add in a ST's break down for a 100 yard KO Return for another 7 points.
Go Hogs Go!

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 09:42:50 am
True

But I rewatched the game and the entire right side of the line has to be replaced. And I hate to say it, but Ragnow was beaten several times yesterday also. 

But there's so many other issues that have to be addressed. Rhoads has to go along with his 3-4. Agim has no help, the special teams are a mess, we now have no wide receivers...  Too many more to mention...

It is a disaster.  Told people we were a disaster after the first game.  No one wanted to hear it.  Got called all kinds of things for it.   Where are those people now?    The truth is... this team played better yesterday than it did against Florida A&M.   Yesterday was an improvement, believe it or not.

KennyForAD

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 10:03:54 am
5 big plays for 287 yards that scored or led to most of their points. Aside from those 5 big plays the defense game up 214 yards. 3.3 yards per play except for those 5 plays. They played good enough for us to win on 92.8% of the plays they defended. It's that other 7.2% of plays that sealed our loss.

Of course giving them the ball at our own 49 with a failed pooch kick on a KO late in the game when we were trying to protect a 3 point lead, didn't help.

Its way worse than just that.  We kicked it straight to the 12th man.  Do you know what the 12th man means to TAMU?  If the 12th man ever gets the ball, he's going to fight like he is fighting for his life, and give the Aggies all the inspiration they'd ever need --- and we kicked it right at him just like the darned fools we are.  He's not hard to spot.  He's wearing no. 12 for Pete's sake!  How can you BE dumb enough to kick it straight to him? 

And nearly as dumb as that is saying, "But for the big plays we only gave up x no. of yards."   Guess what!  If they had not gotten 82 yards in ONE play, they would have gotten it in 6 or 7 plays.   If it were reversed, would you say, "If you take away the Hogs 5 biggest plays, we only gained 250 yards instead of 500."  Come on.  You're better than that.

EastexHawg

Quote from: jst01 on September 23, 2017, 11:16:11 pm

This is it in a nutshell.  I don't want Bielema spending another year or two trying to fix anything.  We've seen what he can do and it's not good enough.  I just want him to go away.

IronHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 09:42:50 am
True

Gibson is their best lineman

But when they keep jerking him around he can't settle in

Put Wallace at OT.  They'd be 3-0 if they'd played Wallace
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 10:03:54 am

Sts have lost how many games under BB?

KennyForAD

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 24, 2017, 10:16:41 am
This is it in a nutshell.  I don't want Bielema spending another year or two trying to fix anything.  We've seen what he can do and it's not good enough.  I just want him to go away.

And who can Long hire to replace him?  Gotta get Long out first.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 24, 2017, 10:14:27 am
Its way worse than just that.  We kicked it straight to the 12th man.  Do you know what the 12th man means to TAMU?  If the 12th man ever gets the ball, he's going to fight like he is fighting for his life, and give the Aggies all the inspiration they'd ever need --- and we kicked it right at him just like the darned fools we are.  He's not hard to spot.  He's wearing no. 12 for Pete's sake!  How can you BE dumb enough to kick it straight to him? 

And nearly as dumb as that is saying, "But for the big plays we only gave up x no. of yards."   Guess what!  If they had not gotten 82 yards in ONE play, they would have gotten it in 6 or 7 plays.   If it were reversed, would you say, "If you take away the Hogs 5 biggest plays, we only gained 250 yards instead of 500."  Come on.  You're better than that.

I know everyone is ticked, me too. I'm just presenting facts that aren't tarnished with emotion the morning after the game.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 24, 2017, 10:14:27 am

He looked like a girl

gangstaback

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 24, 2017, 10:00:05 am
Reality is opposite of your position.   When everything is great - good protection, open receivers, It makes Allen APPEAR to be a good qb, but he is NOT.  Yes, the line is horrible, and receivers run poor routes... but Allen is just as bad as they are.

Thank you.

If you watched any other major game on Saturday, our QB was the slowest to get a play off, the slowest to snap the ball, and the one getting sacked when the play has completely fallen apart. If he doesn't throw it away it almost looks like quitting on that drive.