Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Second Half problems

Started by tigerinhogtown, May 24, 2017, 10:12:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 25, 2017, 09:51:16 am
Right. There is no reason why we can't anticipate the adjustments our opponents are going to make at the half to stop what we just did to them and have a second half game plan ready to go that attacks that adjustment.
the coaches are paid a lot of money to do just that. Yet....
This is fun, isn't it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 24, 2017, 10:21:49 am
Stop playing not to lose/conservative in the second and keep the foot on the pedal/throat of the other team. Also, make second half adjustments like the other teams did against us. 

Right. There is no reason why we can't anticipate the adjustments our opponents are going to make at the half to stop what we just did to them and have a second half game plan ready to go that attacks that adjustment.
Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 03:10:16 pm
I was thinking about making a thread analyzing the 2nd half collapses in the last two games but I think that will fit in well here.

First, the methodology. I'm strictly looking at the 2nd half of the last two games last year. While we have had 2nd half problems in other games, these were both full on collapses. I'm looking at the 2nd half only because that's when the collapses started. I'm using espn's box score. Limitations of that include not knowing if an incomplete pass was due to a drop, a bad throw, or pressure from the defense among other limitations. The goal of this analysis is to see if the offense or the defense was more an issue and if possible, what the issue was.

Mizz: 2nd half starts 24-7, arkansas has been cruising. Mizzou gets the ball to start the half. Our defense opens with forcing a 3rd and 11. However, Lock completes a 48 yard pass. Our defense gets sack and then tackles a quick pass for no gain forcing again a 3rd and 15. Missouri converts with first and goal at the 3. Our defense gives up the td but not before again forcing them to do it on third down.

Our offense moves the ball down the field to answer, but Austin throws a pick on 3rd and goal.

Ensuing drive, our defense stops them at third down. It is 4th and 7 at their own 7. They convert the 4th down on what I think was a fake punt which was an insane play call. 2 plays later the defense gives up a 67 yard td pass. It is now 24-21.

Austin has 3 pass attempts, 3 incompletions and punt.

Next Mizz drive, our defense again forces them to go three and out, but instead of out, they again convert on a fourth down. The next set of downs, missouri gets a 49 yard pass play and eventually gave up another td. 28-24 mizz, but 13 minutes left.

Arkansas has 3 straight run plays. Punts at 4th and 2, but Baker hit one for 60 yards downed at the 1. Mizzou gets a couple of first downs but we force a punt and get the ball back at our own 34. We march the ball down the field again. end up with 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line. RW3 loses a yard. Allen then loses 3 yards. Then he throws an int on 4th down.

We force a 3 and out, get the ball back again. Again, we march the ball all the way down to a 1st and goal from the 9. 4 straight passing plays and no points. Mizzou gets the ball back on downs and takes a knee ending the game.

Verdict: confidence and inexperience killed us this game. Our defense overall pretty well. 4th and long from inside your own 10, nobody should expect the other team to fake a punt there. The three td's that they scored in the 2nd half required 6 third down conversions, two of them 3rd and 11+, and 2 4th down conversions. After giving up the 2 long third down on the first drive, the 4th down on the 2nd, thats when the big plays started to happen. On the third td drive, the big play again happened shortly after giving up another 4th down conversion. On offense, the play calling was mostly fine. We marched the ball to having first and goal on 3 drives, two of them ending on 4th down. Their defense wasn't doing a great job of stopping us moving the ball down the field and by the 4th quarter, they weren't moving the ball on offense any more. Had we kicked a FG on the last two drives rather than going for the td on 4th down both times, we could have won. This game, the collapse was started by the defense, but the offense had it's faults as well.

VT: We are coming into the 2nd half up 24-0. A penalty and a sack put us in 3rd and long. Morgan fumbles the ball giving the defense a short field on which they quickly score. 24-7.

Our next drive is full of offensive mistakes as well with the only real movement a penalty by the defense. To start the 2nd half, a false start and 2 sacks from the OL. However, the defense forces VT to punt on their ensuing drive.

An offensive holding penalty puts at first and 20 after getting a first down the next drive. Austin runs 10 yards himself on 2nd down, but makes a bad interception, trying to force a play on third down. Defense forces a 3rd and 10 on VT's drive, but then gives up a 33 yard pass before scoring a td. 24-14.

Austin feels more pressure to score but Cantrell tips the pass for a VT int. 1 play and 5 yards later, VT scores. 24-21.

Arkansas gets a first down but has to punt. VT then has it's first real drive of the entire game, marching 76 yards and converting two 3rd downs to get a td.

Both teams trade punts before Austin throws a third INT which basically seals the game as VT then scored another td.

Verdict: This one was definitely more on the offense. Of the 35 unanswered points, only 1 of them came from drive that VT didn't start on their half of the field. 2 of Austin's 3 int's were bad reads from him. Morgan's fumble was largely Morgan's own fault as well. Austin was sacked 6 times that game, not to mention the numerous OL penalties.

Good work, Benny.

The O-line needs to protect the QB, open holes and not have false starts.

Those last two games caused us to go from 9-4 and continuing our progression to 7-6 and taking a step backwards.

A cohesive and effective O-line will get us moving forward again in year five.  We can't have Allen feeling pressure to do everything all by himself.

I have no doubt that Rhodes will improve our defense!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on May 24, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
in theory it sounds right. Keep the ball for long drives. Keep your defense on the sideline and their offense off the field, minimizing the opponents opportunity to score. The disconnect has been the Razorbacks  inability to finish drives with scores.

Talent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 24, 2017, 10:14:39 pm
I think it's a depth and talent issue as much as anything.

Yes, it's always about talent, first and foremost.  Always.

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 25, 2017, 05:08:43 am
You wonder? Look at the recruiting rankings. Where we come in year after year screams lack of quality depth. You can't sign a few 4 stars every cycle and build quality depth.

I'm fully aware and agree.  I've made this point over and over.  Tis my point now.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on May 25, 2017, 10:46:40 am
You think Randy is talented? He's OK, but......
Too slow...

LZH

PonderinHog

LZH

Well, I think quicker after 5:00, so there's that....

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 25, 2017, 11:20:47 am
Well, I think quicker after 5:00, so there's that....

Since when has 5:00 mattered?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2017, 11:39:06 am
Since when has 5:00 mattered?

You make a damn fine point.....but ever since that spill I took after the Masters last month, I've behaved myself quite well.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on May 24, 2017, 10:12:04 am
What has to happen to stop the 2nd half implosions? Last year 2nd half points allowed:
LSU 17
Mizzou 21
TCU 28
aTm 28
MSU 28
Auburn 28
VT 35

It wasn't just an issue in the last 2 games, it happened all season.

Control more of the clock with long sustained drivers and putting points on the board.

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.