Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas v A&M

Started by idahodian, January 06, 2013, 10:54:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

idahodian

So what happened against A&M, I thought we would do better than that at home?

Westcoasthog

The better coach coach Gary Blair and the better players - Texas A & M was the key to the victory.  Had Gary Blair had his contract renued at Arkansas - the  Arkansas Ladybacks women would have had a National Championship at
Arkansas.  The direct blame is on Bev Lewis and past Chancellor John White for not reneuing Gary Blairs Contract who did not want to leave the University of Arkansas.

Ironhawg

I was surprised to hear Gary Blair still maintains a home in northwest Arkansas and I believe his wife still works in NWA. I realize it is early in the season, but I don't think Collen can get it done at Arkansas.

HogSkinsDisease

Yea- never understood why Blair was let go. He is a good coach and well liked by players, fans and media. Good thing those who made that decision are not making those kind of decisions any longer.

Arkiebarkie

His contract was about to come up and Bev did not add years to it, it was in the $150,000 range.  Texas AM offered him $300000 and longer contract.  It was reported this week he now makes 700K, he made the right call, Thanks Bev!!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Westcoasthog on January 07, 2013, 12:50:00 am
     The better coach coach Gary Blair and the better players - Texas A & M was the key to the victory.  Had Gary Blair had his contract renued at Arkansas - the  Arkansas Ladybacks women would have had a National Championship at
Arkansas.  The direct blame is on Bev Lewis and past Chancellor John White for not reneuing Gary Blairs Contract who did not want to leave the University of Arkansas.
Blair is an elite coach, no doubt, but even he will admit that his job got a lot easier once he got to college station. Recruiting to CS is so much easier. He once told me that there are 9X's more high schools in Houston than in the entire state of Arkansas. He's 2 hours from Houston, Dallas, and Austin. It's just easier to get kids to come to a place 2 hours from home vs. 8-10.

Would we have been better off keeping Blair? Heck yes...
Would he have a NC here?  I'm not sure.

Hogtied85

I think Tom Collen has signed a 4 or 5 year deal so he is not going anywhere anytime soon so everyone need to stand by him. He has accomplished things at Arkansas that Blair never has. Yes Blair went to the final 4 at arkansas and has won a national championship at Texas A&M but Collen has also had success here. Now Blair did go to the final 4 here so Arkansas can be successful here Tom Collen can be successful here.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 07, 2013, 10:56:59 am
I think Tom Collen has signed a 4 or 5 year deal so he is not going anywhere anytime soon so everyone need to stand by him. He has accomplished things at Arkansas that Blair never has. Yes Blair went to the final 4 at arkansas and has won a national championship at Texas A&M but Collen has also had success here. Now Blair did go to the final 4 here so Arkansas can be successful here Tom Collen can be successful here.

Lolwut
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hogtied85

Hopefully Jessica Jackson will keep her commit to Arkansas. The only thing that really makes me shake my head is the fact that Tom Collen is can't sign a 6'5 kid. We need size

Rocket23

We wouldn't definitely have been better off, but much better, I doubt it.  Blair only finished above .500 one time (7-4) in SEC play (94-95).  He finished below .500 six times and at .500 three times.  He wasn't never able to get a post player while here and thus never could get over the hump in the SEC.  At A&M he has a very large and solid recruiting base as the poster noted above.  Colleen was his top assistant for four years and has been successful at his two previous stops as a head coach.  But Blair is still as classy as they come and he definitely got jobbed by BL and JW.

Sueie

How many BIG players did Blair have at Arkansas?  He had 2 of them yesterday.

hoggish88

My thoughts exactly.  Thank you Bev and John, for nothing.

TexomaRazorback

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 07, 2013, 02:48:04 am
I was surprised to hear Gary Blair still maintains a home in northwest Arkansas and I believe his wife still works in NWA. I realize it is early in the season, but I don't think Collen can get it done at Arkansas.

Gary Blair's wife was head of the UofA nursing department when he left.  She is still a professor in that department.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 07, 2013, 11:48:47 am
Hopefully Jessica Jackson will keep her commit to Arkansas. The only thing that really makes me shake my head is the fact that Tom Collen is can't sign a 6'5 kid. We need size
Jessica Jackson is a Guard/Forward type. She's not a big by any stretch. Also, I'd say that when a kid doesn't want to sign with you in the fall, its unlikely that they will in the spring.