Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lady'Backs changes . . .

Started by TorsinAHog, March 02, 2006, 06:09:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

drake kim is bigtime , she has dusted off tenn. and georgia several times lately she is as good as anyone out there . we just need to pay her price . womens basketball can be self supporting here just as it is in several sec schools . wins and good teams will draw the fans .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

wacohog

Quote from: drakehog on March 02, 2006, 05:31:04 pm
Quote from: stillahog on March 02, 2006, 04:30:24 pm
Foley is a great coach.  He would be a great hire WHEN Susie gets fired.   We will never have a ladys program like Tennessee so going after a "big name" is the wrong thing to do.  The Ladybacks need someone that can coach.

How many really big name coaches are there in womens' college basketball? Three? Summitt, Geno and ????. What is the name of the Duke coach? I follow basketball more than the average person, but I can't remember her name. I remember the fired Fresno babe better than the Duke coach.
I don't think anybody is going to even try and say, unlike in men's ball, hire a big-name women's coach.
How about just hiring Kim Mulkey-Robertson. Besides winning the national championship at Baylor, no less, she has relatives in Arkansas and is from our region, understands recruiting in the region, came with a great coaching pedigree, and then proved it last year. Can we pay a little more than Baylor? Probably not.

She's pulling down 750k at Baylor, but has really energized an otherwise dead campus. The word around here is that she won't look at a job until the Texas gig is available.

rok-dog

Fire HDN...no....no,  Fire Heath.....wait....no...no,  Fire Gardner.........yeah,yeah,  thats it..........Fire Gardner!
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

hogman64

Let hire the Baylor coach and tell her to bring the Allison girl from Jonesboro with her,,, the one  Susie couldnt recruit and who has had a great freshman year at Baylor............

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: rightrev82 on March 02, 2006, 04:52:16 pm
Foley also got Tech to the finals of the NCAA division II tournament as well.

Esully, when did you play at Tech?

Well I better be honest - I "SAT ON THE BENCH" there back in 94-97!!! Now when I did get in... I was launching the 3's at a rapid fire pace!!!!!!!!!!!

ESully

chiefsfan

Quote from: MCPeePants on March 02, 2006, 03:55:40 pm
Wow, that's impressive. This Suzy Gardner lady must be one heck of a rising star in the coaching world.

Maybe now the LadyBacks can go play Arkansas State in the NIT again and Arkansas State can act like it's the biggest thing in the history of sports again and make another video.

Actually, I have no idea if the Ladybacks (or ASU) even qualify for the WNIT this year since I don't give two sh!ts about women's basketball, but it still kinda sucks to see them act as hosts for this tournament and then promptly go get blown out in such a foul manner in the very first game.

Ladybacks will not qualify for the WNIT this year.  ASU needs to win 2 sun belt games to get a chance at getting in.  3 to clinch a spot...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: fineswine on March 02, 2006, 05:06:39 pm
If most were honest, very few people care how the Ladybacks do.  If anyone really cared, there would be more than 2,000 people at the games (and this is when they were good).  I hate to sound like a male chauvinist, but it's the truth.

Well I know of 20 former supporters (family's) who will never return until we have a real coach (Male or Female). I'm one of the twenty.  I know of a great assistant coach in women's BB today.  Vic Shaffer at Texas A & M, he would have done a better job, also Amber Shirey would have.  That's just two and there are many more.  FIRE Susie and Bev and start all over.

Congratulations Gary Blair for the job at Texas A & M.  Who would have ever thought that A & M would be in the big dance?  Men or Women's

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hogman64 on March 02, 2006, 05:58:25 pm
Let hire the Baylor coach and tell her to bring the Allison girl from Jonesboro with her,,, the one  Susie couldn't recruit and who has had a great freshman year at Baylor............

Susie still has a lot of issues with Arkansas HS coaches.  Some will will not even let her on Campus.

Drake -How many really big name coaches are there in women's' college basketball? Three? Summitt, Geno and Huh?. What is the name of the Duke coach? Duke coach Gleason or something like that.

hogman64

Quote from: Hog1961 on March 02, 2006, 06:08:24 pm
Let hire the Baylor coach and tell her to bring the Allison girl from Jonesboro with her,,, the one  Susie couldn't recruit and who has had a great freshman year at Baylor............

Susie still has a lot of issues with Arkansas HS coaches.  Some will will not even let her on Campus.

Drake -How many really big name coaches are there in women's' college basketball? Three? Summitt, Geno and Huh?. What is the name of the Duke coach? Duke coach Gleason or something like that.

How do you start pissing off home state  high school coaches in three years?  that is quite a feat.......

SiriusHog™

i was gonna pay attention to the ladybacks this year, but i had to rearrange my sock drawer and re-lace all my shoes..  :D

Sonofahog

Quote from: drakehog on March 02, 2006, 05:31:04 pm
Quote from: stillahog on March 02, 2006, 04:30:24 pm
Foley is a great coach.  He would be a great hire WHEN Susie gets fired.   We will never have a ladys program like Tennessee so going after a "big name" is the wrong thing to do.  The Ladybacks need someone that can coach.

How many really big name coaches are there in womens' college basketball? Three? Summitt, Geno and ????. What is the name of the Duke coach? I follow basketball more than the average person, but I can't remember her name. I remember the fired Fresno babe better than the Duke coach.
I don't think anybody is going to even try and say, unlike in men's ball, hire a big-name women's coach.
How about just hiring Kim Mulkey-Robertson. Besides winning the national championship at Baylor, no less, she has relatives in Arkansas and is from our region, understands recruiting in the region, came with a great coaching pedigree, and then proved it last year. Can we pay a little more than Baylor? Probably not.

Good point Drake.  I guess in women's b-ball there are only a few big names.  I personally think Bev should just fire Susie, hire Joe Foley and then re-do Barnhill and play the games there.  How many women's teams have their own arena?  And two thousand in the Barn would seem like 6 thousand in BWA. 
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Porquemada

Quote from: Hog1961 on March 02, 2006, 06:08:24 pm

Gail Goestenkors

cubbie

The team is short and slow, but the main reason they lost today is there loft factor. 
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

Bill_Smith

March 02, 2006, 07:25:16 pm #63 Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:48:32 pm by The Gimp
. . . not to expect:

Susie Gardner to be fired.  Bev Lewis walked the press room today at Alltel to make sure all the media know.

Lady'Backs to play permanently in Barnhill.  Kiss of death recruiting, just ask Kentucky that struggled for years playing in the "old gym."  Before pointing to Mickey DeMoss' success, look at how many games on their schedule are now played in Rupp.

Those items are no-starters, but feel free to banter about potential replacements.

At the same time, there is absolutely no sugar coating to this game -- we were BAD.  Coach Gardner's quotes said as much -- "It was embarrassing"

This season is over, and done.  Time to do some spring recruiting.
"Trust the people" -- Winston Churchill

chiefsfan

Quote from: Bill_Smith on March 02, 2006, 07:25:16 pm
. . . not to expect:

Susie Gardner to be fired.  Bev Lewis walked the press room today at Alltel to make sure all the media know.

Lady'Backs to play permanently in Barnhill.  Kiss of death recruiting, just ask Kentucky that struggled for years playing in the "old gym."  Before pointing to Mickey DeMoss' success, look at how many games on their schedule are now played in Rupp.

Those items are no-starters, but feel free to banter about potential replacements.

At the same time, there is absolutely no sugar coating to this game -- we were BAD.  Coach Gardner's quotes said as much -- "It was embarrassing"

so Bev enjoyed her trip to LR I guess...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Broken Trigger

I'm not normally a darksider, but in Suzie's case, i have stepped out of the light.  Nine straight losses.  Stop the bleeding already. 

Broken Trigger

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on March 02, 2006, 06:10:42 pm
i was gonna pay attention to the ladybacks this year, but i had to rearrange my sock drawer and re-lace all my shoes..  :D

I was alternately dating Roseanne and Ellen during that time.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: MCPeePants on March 02, 2006, 03:55:40 pm
Wow, that's impressive. This Suzy Gardner lady must be one heck of a rising star in the coaching world.

Maybe now the LadyBacks can go play Arkansas State in the NIT again and Arkansas State can act like it's the biggest thing in the history of sports again and make another video.

Actually, I have no idea if the Ladybacks (or ASU) even qualify for the WNIT this year since I don't give two sh!ts about women's basketball, but it still kinda sucks to see them act as hosts for this tournament and then promptly go get blown out in such a foul manner in the very first game.

I don't think we're going anywhere after losing 9 straight to end the season.  Especially considering the lopsided nature of many of them.

Lanny

Quote from: Bill_Smith on March 02, 2006, 07:25:16 pm
. . . not to expect:

Give me a call when you have the chance.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Jerry Swinefeld

Anyone know today's attendance?
Did the fans bother to show up after Suzie didn't bother to bring her team to the practice session Wednesday?

1836hog

Who cares.  We showed everyone that we didn't care about that program when we let Gary leave town.  Expect nothing more out of Ms. Bev Lewis at this point.

cmevere1027

what positive things has bev lewis done for the lady athletic dept.?

1836hog

Quote from: cmevere1027 on March 02, 2006, 09:36:02 pm

The gymbacks are nice to look at!

Sonofahog

I agree with most all of this Bill,  except that I always wished they would play in Barnhill.   Truthfully,  the program can't get much worse than it is.  And our "old gym" is The Barn.  I will attend some more Ladyback games to get to see a game in Barnhill.   But,  I wish Bev would pull the trigger and fire Susie. 
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

cmevere1027

i guess i just dont understand why she wouldn't be fired? why as a recruit would you want to come play here?  (i should say an sec caliber recruit) the only way you get anyone decent players would be to tell them they would get immediate playing time

hogman64

Well that is good news for the other 11 SEC coaches....So someone will enjoy hearing we still arent serious about having a  womens bball team...........

Broken Trigger

Quote from: 1836hog on March 02, 2006, 09:37:43 pm

The gymbacks are nice to look at!

I can't disagree with that.  My favorite women's sport. 

Jim Harris

they lost by THIRTY [CENSORED] POINTS to the eighth-place team in the league, the same team that beat them by seven on Sunday in Oxford. Chalk it up to a bad day, I guess.
No, she sat on her ass for two years trying to decide who she should recruit. We hired yet another coach from the Ohio Valley Conference who is in over their head.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

heathshogs

A spointed out she started the Gymbacks and got quality coaches to lead that, and it is a solid top 25 program through it's first 4 years of existence.
I like Dever-Boaz, but I have feeling Pinky may actually have been a right choice to get the softball team back on track
The Volleyball team consistently wins the SEC West (just can't get by Florida from the east)
Lance Harter has the Track program moving up the rankings.
They built the Bev Lewis Training center which has to be one of the best (only) in the country designed specifically for the women's programs..
I don't know much abouit the Tennis, Swiiing/Diving, or Golf teams.
But I do know all the Ladyback athletes have done well in the classrooom over the past few years.

It seems Bev Lewis has done many good things as AD. I just think the last choice for women's basketball coach was not one of them. Maybe I'll be wrong someday.

A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Lt.Dangle

We are Arkansas since Nolan we fine NOONE

riccoar

Maybe I missed the take on Lewis and Blair.  Did Bev insist on a woman coach?  I believe though that Pat Summitt is who recommended Gardner in the first place.

V B Porkers

What womens's programs are successful under this so called AD?

NEAHAWG

Quote from: V B Porkers on March 03, 2006, 06:16:55 am
What womens's programs are successful under this so called AD?
Be carefull about saying that, Dr. John White wanted to replace Frank with Bev and Jim Lindsey steped in to stop it.

In a roundabout way it saved Dale's job.

hogblade

Seriously, Suzie is way worse than Stan could ever dream of being. She has been a complete disaster and for some reason that I probably don't want to know about Bev Lewis won't crticize here or fire her.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogman64

Because of her pathetic performance as a Hog Coach Susie deserves a Fire Susie thread for at least another day.  She doesnt know how to explain  the loss according to quotes in the Demo this morning.  I think  we could all take a stab at  it............How about" you are a horrible coach, you just got beat by 30 in your home state by the team next to you in the standings."  Add to that Susie Gardner has to be one of the WORST coaches of all time from a PR standpoint and what do you have?  I would say you have a coach at a school that doesnt give a flip about the sport in question..Makes me wish I was giving money to the women's program so I could stop.  I know that some of my ticket money and contribution money must flow that direction to some extent and whatever that figure is , it is too much.

arkbadger

I could really care less about out women's hoops team, but seeing a 30 point loss to Ole Miss in anything is embarrasing.  It's time for her to go.
You can keep that skoal baby.

EastexHawg

No one has asked the most important question of all...

Does Susie Gardner know Jim Lindsey?

psycHOGlogist

Bill - how much of this is an attempt at face-saving on Bev's part? I suppose it would really be an admission of stupidity on her part to fire Susie when Gary is doing so well at TAMU.

I'm all for giving people a chance, but there's a phrase about a silk purse and a sow's ear that comes to mind.

12under

Quote from: 1836hog on March 02, 2006, 09:32:37 pm
Who cares.  We showed everyone that we didn't care about that program when we let Gary leave town.  Expect nothing more out of Ms. Bev Lewis at this point.
you hit it right on the head.

bdutt

[/quote}
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

hogman64

Whether or not the U of A cares about the women's basketball program was settled when they let ASU host the WNIT game...The fact that we dont give a rat's butt is not even in question IMO.........keeping SG is just further proof , if anyone needs it............

RealSmartGuy

Hey sounds good, lets let her go.  I am in.  Seriously, has anyone heard of Susies 110 page rule book?  that is hysterical.

12under

heathshogs

She's been AD 16 years. Prior to that she was the Ladyback track coach. 

From her Bio:
Lewis orchestrated the addition of four sports at the University. The first phase of expansion came in the mid-1990s. Volleyball took the court in 1994, with golf hitting the links in 1995 and softball taking the field in 1996-97. After building these three teams into NCAA tournament participants, Lewis has moved forward again. Her selection of gymnastics to become the 11th Lady Razorback sport resulted in Arkansas immediately becoming a major player in the sport, ranking fourth in the nation in attendance.

A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

heathshogs

Quote from: riccoar on March 03, 2006, 04:21:10 am
Maybe I missed the take on Lewis and Blair.  Did Bev insist on a woman coach?  I believe though that Pat Summitt is who recommended Gardner in the first place.

I don't think Bev LEwis specifically looked for a Woman coach although there was specualttion of that at the time. Gardner was reccommended by Summitt and Georgia's Andy Landers where she played. Susie did have 1 good year making here a hot pick like Stan Heath. The difference is that while that was Stan's only experience being head coach, Susie Gardner had several years experience with a record just over .500.

psycHOGlogist

Umm.. you're posting near the bottom of a second page of one of several threads about the LadyBacks and Gardner.

Yes, people care. If you don't why are you even reading this thread and posting here?

cmevere1027

did anyone see the democrat this morning?   Quote from susie  "its embarrassing. To be in Little Rock, for the city of lr to work so hard to bring this tournament to arkansas and to have the fans behind us, its really, really, ... i dont know how to explain it, in all honesty"

for one the first two teams yesterday that lost were the ONLY 2 that did not partake in the 45 min practice session the day before, maybe that explains the 25 percent shooting.

I usually could careless about the womens program but damn this is embarassing!!!

oh well we lost out last 9 sec games, first in tournament by 30, and our coaches winning percentages are as follows for the last 3 seasons.571, .548, .479  but hey you get to keep your job

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: heathshogs on March 03, 2006, 10:59:10 am
Quote from: riccoar on March 03, 2006, 04:21:10 am

I don't think Bev LEwis specifically looked for a Woman coach although there was specualttion of that at the time. Gardner was reccommended by Summitt and Georgia's Andy Landers where she played. Susie did have 1 good year making here a hot pick like Stan Heath. The difference is that while that was Stan's only experience being head coach, Susie Gardner had several years experience with a record just over .500.

I've always wondered about that. I know that Summitt and Landers have integrity and want to see the sport succeed and have excellent coaches within their own conference. But ... wouldn't there be just a little part of you that wanted your opposing schools NOT to hire the best, hottest coaches out there (i.e. Mulkey Robertson)?. In Landers' case, Susie played for him, so I can see his loyalty. But .... c'mon - don't you have to figure that in? Do you think Summitt ever lost any recruits to Gardner when she was at Austin Poop?