Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes

Started by The Realist, March 04, 2008, 10:03:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

Is it just me or does he have no clue about our style of basketball? 
He keeps talking about how Arkansas is playing right into Ole Miss' hands because we are running with them when we want to slow it down.  But we are pushing the ball up the court faster than they are and that is the style we want to play.

He also has trashed our half court offense like we are losing by 20.

All of this seems weird considering he coached at Arkansas, Arkansas State, and at UALR
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

oldfart

i think jimmy has to say something even if its wrong....

eminem

Jimmy probably has more knowledge than you and me about hog ball...Just sayin

The Realist

I understand he graduated from the U of A.  But he has been dead wrong on our style of basketball saying we do not want to push the ball.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

eminem

There are times to push the ball...we had very few opportunities in the first half.

ballhog™

Quote from: oldfart on March 04, 2008, 10:04:42 pm
i think jimmy has to say something even if its wrong....

does he like to hear himself talk?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

ballhog™

jimmy's getting angry.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hawgfan80

I'd say Jimmy Dykes knows more about Razorback basketball than any announcer on national TV.

Pigonometry

Jimmy is by far my favorite ESPN announcer.  he is very good.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 04, 2008, 10:23:41 pm

Jimmy IS really good. And he's even better when the Hogs are playing worth a $#%&.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

canadianrazorback

Quote from: The Realist on March 04, 2008, 10:03:39 pm
He keeps talking about how Arkansas is playing right into Ole Miss' hands because we are running with them when we want to slow it down.  But we are pushing the ball up the court faster than they are and that is the style we want to play.

All of this seems weird considering he coached at Arkansas, Arkansas State, and at UALR

Looking at the score now, maybe he does know something.

HogCard

I agree, I just wish he would quit saying "Valentine".

jsimpso3

jimmy dykes knows a whole hell of a lot about hog ball. he is also smart enough to know that the players on this team aren't built for pel's style of ball. we don't want to run with most teams THIS year. next year and the year after will be a different story

BigSexyHog

Agree. Just seems like people are trying to kick the wrong dog on this.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

The Realist

I like Jimmy too but was puzzled by his comments on our style of play wanting to slow it down.
Childs, Gregory.

HogMavFan

I know a lot of guys in here have man crushes on Jimmy but he annoys the crap out of me. He has weird phrases such as "Valentine" instead of heart and he says "the bigs" constantly.

dunnhead

I generally like him, but he does have some dumb sayings.  The other day he said a team needed some "pound your chest plays" at least a half-dozen times.

Pigonometry

Quote from: HogMavFan on March 04, 2008, 11:15:20 pm
I know a lot of guys in here have man crushes on Jimmy but he annoys the crap out of me. He has weird phrases such as "Valentine" instead of heart and he says "the bigs" constantly.

He also says "off the bounce" too many times.  But he is still the best.

The Realist

He also says grill.  I hate when an older announcer tries to say "get in his grill" or anything like that. 
Childs, Gregory.

Desperate Hog

Quote from: The Realist on March 05, 2008, 01:09:16 am
He also says grill.  I hate when an older announcer tries to say "get in his grill" or anything like that. 
It doesn't matter how old the announcer is, it still sounds dumb.  Like Jim rome language.  Always sucking up to his guests!
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

hei5manhog

I thank god everytime i watch college basketball and don't have to listen to Billy Packer. Thats the only thing i don't enjoy about march madness.  His awkward awkard sayings that he says in that freaky voice "WITH THE KISS"
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

PorkFryRice

Jimmy's gonna get you, Kramer!!!

Razorback88

Hahaha!  Excellent reference.  Jimmy's down!

navyhog24

not meaning to be rude razorback88 but you need to change your avatar pic from mr. 2 days to someone else

fineswine

I may have liked him when he was a walk-on years ago, but he annoys me to no end as an announcer.  He's not as bad as Vitale and Packer, but still...

Pigonometry

Quote from: hei5manhog on March 05, 2008, 02:16:12 am
I thank god everytime i watch college basketball and don't have to listen to Billy Packer. Thats the only thing i don't enjoy about march madness.  His awkward awkard sayings that he says in that freaky voice "WITH THE KISS"

That's not Packer.  Bill Raferty is the one who says "with the kiss".

GO

I can tolerate Jimmy just fine and think he does a good  job, but the Raycom idiot that keeps saying "a little string music" I swear I would love to choke the living $h**t out of him everytime he yells that crap....

GO

Boarcephus

Let's look at this way, when we're running up and down the court playing the style "we" want to play, who generally has the ball in their hands? Yep, Ervin.  What does Ervin do when the game turns into a helterskelter style?  Yep, frick up.

IMO, Dykes was right on.  Get the ball to Townes, pound inside for points because when he's got a shorter man on him, he's tough to handle.  9/13 is salty.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

preach33

Jimmy is like the rest of the HOG nation - dissapointed and discusted

rljjr

Yeah, I think Jimmy finds it hard not to totally criticize the jekyll and hyde seniors. You can almost hear him muttering under his breath "rebound! Block out! No! No! Make a free throw!" But it comes out as, "boy, these guys can play great at home, but are not a good road team."

SwinerBock

With "the bigs" that we have, this team is "Stan Heath built" with the potential for a dominating inside game.  We do not have the quickness, the "floor general", or the consistent spot up shooters that would make for a great running team.

BCShogs

Quote from: GO on March 05, 2008, 08:55:02 am
I can tolerate Jimmy just fine and think he does a good  job, but the Raycom idiot that keeps saying "a little string music" I swear I would love to choke the living $h**t out of him everytime he yells that crap....

GO

LMAO!!

ConwayHog

Since when has this team been able to run and not have excessive turnovers?  It's rare.  Face it, there is not a style of basketball this group can execute.

They can't even win in Alltel Arena. 

razorhead94

I love it when he talks about "valentine" and "pound your chest".  He is just trying to mix things up and say different things.  He is not trying to be like everybody else.  That's why he is where he is now, doing prime time ESPN games.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Razorback88

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 05, 2008, 03:58:29 am
not meaning to be rude razorback88 but you need to change your avatar pic from mr. 2 days to someone else

My avatar is making fun of Dana Altman.  It's not a show of support for him.  BTW, please leave your avatar the way it is...

rpoe

I think Jimmy Dykes has tons of basketball knowledge, and left alone, could be a great analyst/sportscaster. He has something most don't, he knows the game from being there, not just watching and listening. I've noticed this year, with his presence on ESPN, a much more scripted version of himself. He is being "schooled" by broadcast experts to be more dynamic and catchy with his comments. He talks of "his strength is his strength" and "valentine" and "jump off the bump," and has all kinds of prepared visuals and twists on situations. I like him best when he's just being himself. Hopefully a lot of this schtick with fade away and he'll emerge as a big-time announcer. I think he definitely has the potential. Let's just give him some time.

40MINSOFHELL

Jimmy Dykes is a traitor, talks about the other team more than his alma matter...TRAITOR

HatfieldHawg

I would be willing to bet he knows more about it than you do.  He lives in NWA and knows more about the Hogs than anyone.

HogNuttz

Quote from: GO on March 05, 2008, 08:55:02 am

GO

I absolutely can not stand Rafftery of Rafferty or whatever the hell his name is.  Hearing "a little string music" sounds like sweet music compared to that assbag.  Packer is about 1/2 a notch better.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HotlantaHog

March 05, 2008, 05:24:06 pm #39 Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:40:16 pm by HotlantaHog
I like Bill Raftery, think he is fun to listen to, so I guess this is very much in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. He has enthusiasm and energy. I think Jimmy Dykes knows much more about basketball, and Hog basketball, than I will ever know. My own criticism is sometimes he tends to hold back, on ARSN broadcasts or national broadcasts, from criticizing Arkansas. I am sure he is a great guy in person and wants to be liked, but he goes out of his way not to be controversial (to the official interests of UofA). I'm thinking here about, for example, coaching changes or coaching controversies (in the past, not now.)

HogNuttz

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 05, 2008, 05:24:06 pm
I like Bill Rafferty, think he is fun to listen to, so I guess this is very much in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. He has enthusiasm and energy. I think Jimmy Dykes knows much more about basketball, and Hog basketball, than I will ever know. My own criticism is sometimes he tends to hold back, on ARSN broadcasts or national broadcasts, from criticizing Arkansas. I am sure he is a great guy in person and wants to be liked, but he goes out of his way not to be controversial (to the official interests of UofA). I'm thinking here about, for example, coaching changes or coaching controversies (in the past, not now.)

Feels like the only thing in my ear is an ice pick when I listen to Raftery.  And I'm pretty sure Raftery is correct after using google, although it is often found incorrect.

But to each his own I guess.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HotlantaHog

You are correct, sir. Raftery, it is. Fixing my earlier post. ... Former Seton Hall coach, so he too knows a little about basketball, whatever you think of his style.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: The Realist on March 04, 2008, 10:05:53 pm
I understand he graduated from the U of A.  But he has been dead wrong on our style of basketball saying we do not want to push the ball.

Why do we want to push the ball, and do we also want to full court press after made baskets like last night? 

hogman64

March 06, 2008, 12:30:44 am #43 Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:32:54 am by hogman64
Jimmy Dykes is very knowledgeable and can give alot of good insight into a game I think.  However, I hope he doesnt turn into  or get turned into a Joe Morgan.........Jimmy sometimes shows signs of that.......Morgan has to analyze every damn movement on a baseball field......everything that happens in a baseball game he acts like he knew it would happen before it did and the exact reason it happened........there is alot of strategy in baseball but Morgan wants to try to over analyze everything...drives me crazy to watch a game with Morgan as an anouncer, ever tho I really do like the startegy of a major league game he is just to much.............every once in a while i see that in Dykes........that being said, I still think he is the best college basketball guy around........

SwinerBock

Quote from: Razorback88 on March 05, 2008, 12:50:54 pm
  BTW, please leave your avatar the way it is...
Amen.  Avatars as a rule should be small in size, but there are a select few on this site that should fill up the entire screen.

jbcarol

I like the Nessler and Dykes team.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net