Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oaklawn question?

Started by SquidBilly, April 09, 2013, 11:14:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

Why does oaklawn only run races in the winter/early spring?  It seems to me there would be a lot of interest in a fall session as well to have some two year old maiden races and to give the southern trainers and owners another venuw to run their younger horses.  Even if it was an abbreviated meet I could see a lot of interest in having an October or November meet.

PIGmalion

Don't want to go head to head with LA Downs and Midwest tracks, comes down to available horses and trainers.  Would love to see it, but that is the reason.  However, if they continue to offer bigger purses they would compete to get them here.

SquidBilly

After I posted this I did some research and apparently the owner of Oaklawn is on record as saying he will never have 2 year olds running on his track so I guess that settles that.

Horse racer

No way would you run a 2 yo this time of year, at least we wouldn't, there is almost no racing in this part of the world in October. I have always thought a short fall meet would be awesome

husker71

when I was in Cali they would run 2 furlong maiden 2 year races.  Mike Harrington won a bunch of those out of Swiss Yodeler.  I think they now run 4 1/2 furlong 2 year old races 1st.

showhimthewhip

I think the 4 1/2s for juvies is just a flaw in the sport. It doesn't do much for the horse'a career. It does nothing for the handicapper because when will you be able to view that performance and use it as a gauge in the longer races to come? Just my opinion, I think it's just an economic move that displays the impatience of the sport.