Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beyer Speed Figs from FG Saturday

Started by $2towinon7, February 25, 2013, 03:14:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

$2towinon7

These figs seem a little all over the place and I don't quite understand how they match up with the times the horses ran.  Not saying they aren't right, but just looking for an explanation... I understand that class of the race is involved and the track record.

All 3 races at FG Saturday at 1 and 1/16th mile.

Mark Valeski raced at 3:59 PM. Time 1:44.82 Beyer = 97
Unlimited Budget raced at 4:32 PM. Time 1:45.38 Beyer = 86
Ivestruckanerve raced at 5:03 PM. Time 1:44.52 Beyer = 95

I just didn't see how a 3 yo filly posts a time witin 3/5s of a second of older male horses and gets 11 figs less or how an hour later the Risen Star final time is faster and gets a lower fig. Here's a link to the figs: http://www.drf.com/slideshows/weekend-stakes-winner-feb-23-24

cbhawg03

Drying out track had something to do with the numbers, but I can't explain more than that

Horse racer

The Beyer numbers have confused me for years, I have always thought Andy has a bias for some tracks.

songofthesword

Quote from: Horse racer on February 25, 2013, 08:07:19 pm
The Beyer numbers have confused me for years, I have always thought Andy has a bias for some tracks.
beyer has a bias against races.  you will be in the poor house if you are using his numbers as antyhing other than a very large gauge.

i remember when rachel was at the fair grounds and ran the fastest 8.5F race of the day and I believe it was freisen fire ran later that day slower and got like a 6 point higher speed figure.  needless to say who was the faster horse.

there is no world where beyer gives the rachel alexandra stakes winner a higher speed figure than then Risen Star winner, because beyer works for DRF and the DRF won't make as much money if the derby is full of "slow" horses.

Unlmited Budget is easily the best 3YO i've seen so far. not rachel good. but better than this crop of 3YO's. so far. she's really really good. and she wasn't even asked to run the last furlong of the race she was galloping.

$2towinon7

http://www.drf.com/news/dick-jerardi-beyer-figures-not-always-based-just-final-time

Sound like the figure came back low and because Randy Moss didn't feel the pace scenerio helped Valeski and because he typically achieves a better Beyer number, he bumped it up higher.  Sounds fishy to me...

songofthesword

Quote from: $2towinon7 on February 27, 2013, 02:44:56 pm
http://www.drf.com/news/dick-jerardi-beyer-figures-not-always-based-just-final-time

Sound like the figure came back low and because Randy Moss didn't feel the pace scenerio helped Valeski and because he typically achieves a better Beyer number, he bumped it up higher.  Sounds fishy to me...
see that's bull.

the original premise of the Beyer speed figure is simply to equate a raw time into a easy to understand number.   for instance, how can the novice compare a 8F race and a 6F race as far as speeds and raw times? not even taking into account track conditions. they can't.  that's what the beyer is for.

the beyer is not supposed to in any way, shape or form, take into account ability, how easy they did it, and antyhing of the like. that's for the horse player to figure out on their own. you give me the number and it's my job to figure out how we came to this number, it's not your job to calculate that for me.

ghostzapper

March 06, 2013, 06:34:16 pm #6 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:18:34 pm by ghostzapper
SOS, a slow pace always presents a predicament for the Beyer boys.  It prevents a horse from ever running a final time that reflects his true ability.  So, do you post a final number that you know is not representative of the horse's ability, or do you post a projected number that you can justify if it matches with what other horses ran?  They opt for the latter, believing it to be better info from which to make a gambling decision, and I agree with them.