Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DamonBoost

Quote from: DadVader1 on November 07, 2013, 04:24:20 pm
Here's what I've done so far, 5 units each on:

Utah St. -13.5
AZ St. -6.5
TX -6.5
Fresno -9.5
MO -13.5
OM -17 
USCw -16

Also have nine 2-team parlays on the following teams for a total of 4.5 units:
TX -6.5
Utah St. -13.5
AZ St. -6.5
MO -13.5
Fresno -9

The spreadsheets also liked Syracuse +5 (I passed because MD gets their QB back for this game), and Hawaii +17 (I passed because of the long trip from Hawaii to East Coast), and Colorado +28.  I almost played Colorado.  For my final cut, it came down to taking Colo & getting a lot of points or taking USC and giving points to Cal.  It was a close call, but giving points to Cal has been a good move this year, and USC just got back their star receiver (who had a nice game last week).

Forgive me, I dont understand your parlays. 

How are you setting them up?  You list (9) 2-team parlays but only list 5 teams.  I don't get what the parlay "groups " are?  What are you actually betting?

DadVader1

Looking at it again, I did screw that up.  I normally do them all at once, and the site gives me the option of combining all of the selected teams into 2-team combos, covering all the combinations.  If you have 5 teams selected, you can cover all the 2-team combinations with 10 bets.  I did it piecemeal this time and didn't get it quite right.  By the time I got around to adding the last group, I wasn't quite as sold on Fresno, so I didn't play a Fresno/AZ State 2-team combo.  I have nine 2-team parlays:
1) USU/MO
2) USU/TX
3) USU/ASU
4) USU/Fres
5) TX/MO
6) TX/ASU
7) TX/Fres
8 ) MO/ASU
9) MO/Fres

widespreadsooie

Picks I like for Sat.

Bama -12.5 ***
ECU -16.5 **
UCF -10.5 **
MIZ -14 **
VT +7 *

WILL CLINTON

Added:

UConn +28  1*
Uconn under 51  1*
UNM -3  1*
UNM over 61  1*
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

widespreadsooie

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 08, 2013, 11:39:15 pm
Ha, wow. Hell of a night Will!

and Boy did I need it!! 12-4 on the week with the big day still to come tomorrow. I just hope and pray it keeps up. I'm combining my picks with a bookie's needs, and a couple of other guys I've been trailing, and when we all match up, it's been awesome.

Also, I hope I'm not buying the hype like I was with Oregon, but I am all over Bama with you.

WILL CLINTON

Jeff's plays today are:

Penn St +3  dime
Bama -12   dime
Houston +13   5 units
Colorado +28.5   5 units  *bought the hook

WILL CLINTON

November 09, 2013, 10:13:54 am #5557 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:28:34 pm by WILL CLINTON
Here's what I'm on so far today:

Penn St -3 3*
Az St -7 2*
Miami -5 2*
Bama -12.5 1*
UCLA +1 3*
Vandy +10  1*
Wake Forest +35  1*
Duke -10  2*
UNC -13  1*
Texas Tech -2.5  2*

bumped Duke to a 2*, and got Miami -5 instead of -7

Scrambled Hog

WKU -6
UF -11
PSU +2.5
ARK +17

We've got to cover sooner or later... it's expensive being a homer this year.

Jumping on TTech -2.5 also...

McKdaddy

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on November 09, 2013, 10:12:12 am
Jeff's plays today are:

Penn St +3  dime
Bama -12   dime
Houston +13   5 units
Colorado +28.5   5 units  *bought the hook

This, except Bama at -10 and CU +30 on my sites.

He's not banned again, is he?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Here's some road teams that I like a lot. 

TCU -7  @ Iowa St.
Illinois +8 @ Indiana
BYU +9.5 @ Wisconsin
Arizona St. 7 @ Utah
Texas -5 @ W. Virginia
Houston +11.5 @ UCF

And of course
Arkansas +17 @ Ole Miss

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

I'm getting a little bet-happy today....

Aub  -7  1u
HOGS  +17  1u

Teaser
HOGS & Aub  5u

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 09, 2013, 10:58:01 am
I'm getting a little bet-happy today....

Aub  -7  1u
HOGS  +17  1u

Teaser
HOGS & Aub  5u

I like Auburn -7, LSU +11, Texas -6 and I also like the Hogs +17 but I wouldn't bet on it, just too unpredictable as to which Hogs team is going to show up today.
Go Hogs Go!

WILL CLINTON

November 09, 2013, 01:23:55 pm #5564 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:41:55 pm by WILL CLINTON
Adding:

Miss St +19  1*
Miss St +20  1*
Miss St +21.5  1* in-game line
ECU -16  1*
USC -17  1*
2nd Half Wake Forest +7.5  1*
2nd half UNC -6.5  2*
Penn St +13.5  1* in-game line

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 09, 2013, 10:38:01 am
This, except Bama at -10 and CU +30 on my sites.

He's not banned again, is he?

Last I heard from him, yes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 09, 2013, 11:57:34 am
I like Auburn -7, LSU +11, Texas -6 and I also like the Hogs +17 but I wouldn't bet on it, just too unpredictable as to which Hogs team is going to show up today.

Hogs are 2-7 vs spread this season...that's been predictable, ugh.

Which is why I should have the other way, ha.

WILL CLINTON

WILL CLINTON

this should be my last update tonight.

Pitt +4
Houston +13
Wyoming +8.5
Colorado +29

all 1*

4-4 so far today with 12 games remaining pushes my weekly record to 16-8.

This may be the most games I've ever invested in, in one weekend

DadVader1

The spreadsheets had a week that was well below average, but Fresno came through and bailed me out to stay on the positive side of the ledger for the weekend.  I ended up going 4-3 ATS for +5 (before juice) and 3-6 on parlays for -0.7 after juice for a +4.3 weekend. That puts me at 49-30-3 ATS (62%) and 29-16 on parlays (64%) for +62.4 units on the season. 

ATS:
Utah St. -13.5 L
AZ St. -6.5 L
TX -6.5 W
Fresno -9.5 W
MO -13.5 W
OM -17  L
USCw -16 W

2-team parlays:
TX -6.5 W
Utah St. -13.5 L
AZ St. -6.5 L
MO -13.5 W
Fresno -9 W

widespreadsooie

Gotta love AUB -3.5 vs. UGA in Auburn next week.

McHogLovin

DadVader1

I'm waiting until a bit later in the week to get in more data before doing much in-depth analysis, but I'm going to try something a little different this week.  In addition to my usual selection process, I'm going to tail a trend or two without trying to weed out a few plays (other than for significant recent injuries).  More times than not, I've decreased the sheets winning percentages by weeding out relatively more winners than losers.  I've found a couple of trends with large enough sample sizes and good enough records ATS, that I'm going to tail them for smaller plays. 

One grouping with 96 picks has hit 72.9% and has not had a losing week this season.  It's picks for this week are:
W.VA -7
Houston +16
Mich +3
Stanford -3.5. 

The other grouping with 91 picks has hit 71.4% and has not had a losing week this season.  It's picks for this week are:
Houston +16
Mich +3
Purdue +21.5
FAU -17
C. Mich -3.

I'll do my usual plays (to be determined later in the week) but also plan on tailing these for smaller amounts.  Of course, now that I've picked them, they're probably due for a losing week kinda like my knack for picking the slow check-out lane at the store.

widespreadsooie

Lines that look good to me:

CMU -3
ISU +25
UMASS +7.5
NW -3
AUB -4
OK St. -3
S. Bama +9

Hawgndaaz

McHogLovin

November 12, 2013, 02:44:29 pm #5576 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:10:58 pm by McHogLovin
Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 12, 2013, 02:25:43 pm
just paid my guy for the 3rd week in a row :(

For the life of me I can't figure out why you fellas just don't follow all of Jeff's wagers and forget your own.  I know he lost this weekend but the man has proven he can pick em year in, year out.  Not dissing you guys but not many on here turn a profit.  The most common problem is a lot of you just love the action so much you bet games you don't have a great feeling for just to feel that rush on a Thursday or Friday night.  Hold that money and wait til Saturday and place it on games you (or Jeff) feel are much closer to a sure thing.   

PS Hawgndaaz,  this message isn't directed at you.  You're a good poster and you may be a winning player too, Idk.  Your post just set it up for me to reply because a lot of guys seem to be paying out a lot more than they bring in.  3 weeks is nothing. 

WILL CLINTON

Here's my ridiculous action last week. Bet an insane 39 games. Paid off as I nearly doubled my bank roll, and gained 5% on my overall percentage. Still have a long way to go just to break even this year. But overall, I'm still up for the past 3 years I've been posting here.

BG ov 48  1*  Push
Buffalo -4  2*  W +$28
Buffalo u54  1*  W +$14
CMU +21  W +$14
CMU under 58  L -$15
Oregon -10  1*  L -$15
Oregon -11  1*  L -$15
Oregon v Stanford u60  1*  W +$14
Oregon v Stanford u61.5  1*  W +$14
Oregon -4 in game line  1*  L -$15
2h Baylor -7  3*  W +$57
Got a OU +30.5 in-game line  1*  W +$14
UConn +28  1*  W +$14
Uconn under 51  1*  W +$14
UNM -3  1*  W +$14
UNM over 61  1*  W +$14
Penn St -3 3*  L -$62
Az St -7 2*  L -$30
Miami -5 2*  L -$30
Bama -12.5 1*  W +$14
UCLA +1 3*  W +$57
Vandy +10  1*  W +$14
Wake Forest +35  1*  L -$14
Duke -10  2*  W +$28
UNC -13  1*  W +$14
Texas Tech -2.5  2*  L -$30
Miss St +19  1*  W +$14
Miss St +20  1*  W +$14
Miss St +21.5  1* in-game line  W +$14
ECU -16  1*  W +$14
USC -17  1*  W +$14
2nd Half Wake Forest +7.5  1*  L -$15
2nd half UNC -6.5  2*  W +$28
Penn St +13.5  1* in-game line  L -$15 (only lost this one because you can't buy the hook on in-game lines...ARGHHH)
Added BYU +9.5  1*  L -$15 (just forgot to buy the hook on this one)
Pitt +4  1*  W +$14
Houston +13  1*  W +14
Wyoming +8.5  1*  L -$15
Colorado +29  1*  L -$15

Weekly Record
24-14-1  (63%)

Overall Record:
77-84-7 (48%)  $449  -85% ROI

Hawgndaaz

McLovin, none taken. I did well last year but this year has been a disappointment despite putting more time in it. I think my betting units are inconsistent and I tend to play poorly on the early saturday games.

I follow jeff almost pick for pick, fyi. Just not the same units. I also screw off on thursday nights too much.

McKdaddy

I began following Jeff's picks this season to attempt to be wise w/ the small units I'm betting, but I also enjoy placing some of my own picks. Yes, I lose more than I win on my picks, but I have fun trying to pick winners and as you said, I enjoy the action during the game. But I only bet money I can afford to lose. That way I'm not mad or upset about the losses I pile up, because frankly I didn't expect to win. My win % over the last 4-5 years is about 39%, so why would I get upset! ha/ha. Similar to golf....I suck at golf, usually shooting 104-110. No reason to have expectations of success....just have fun chasing it around a pretty course.

It's like going to the horses. I don't have any misconceptions about leaving with more money in my pocket that what I arrived with, but it provides 5 hours of fun, drinks, and food. I tail some picks of others that do better than me w/ the ponies, but I enjoy doing my own thing too....so long as it is money I can afford to lose.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 12, 2013, 09:44:02 pm
I began following Jeff's picks this season to attempt to be wise w/ the small units I'm betting, but I also enjoy placing some of my own picks. Yes, I lose more than I win on my picks, but I have fun trying to pick winners and as you said, I enjoy the action during the game. But I only bet money I can afford to lose. That way I'm not mad or upset about the losses I pile up, because frankly I didn't expect to win. My win % over the last 4-5 years is about 39%, so why would I get upset! ha/ha. Similar to golf....I suck at golf, usually shooting 104-110. No reason to have expectations of success....just have fun chasing it around a pretty course.

It's like going to the horses. I don't have any misconceptions about leaving with more money in my pocket that what I arrived with, but it provides 5 hours of fun, drinks, and food. I tail some picks of others that do better than me w/ the ponies, but I enjoy doing my own thing too....so long as it is money I can afford to lose.

I love going to the races as well but rarely bet. if I am with someone who does it regularly I will tail but other than that I have no idea what I am doing so I just stick to beers and babes.

DadVader1

I like to tail Jeff's picks from time to time, but it's also fun trying to learn to pick games on my own.  I like learning new things, and I like a challenge.  I'm having fun learning how to use Excel to manipulate data, and I'm having fun with the challenge of trying to "beat Vegas."  Luckily, with college football, you don't really need to beat Vegas (b/c that ain't gonna happen); you just need to be a little above average as compared to the masses wagering on college football.  Enough folks make money on college football to make me think that I can be one of those guys ... and I'm enjoying the journey & playing with entertainment dollars.

McKdaddy

Quote from: DadVader1 on November 13, 2013, 11:18:40 am
I'm enjoying the journey & playing with entertainment dollars.

This. A lot of fun to look at the numbers over the week, then commit to some picks on Friday night/Sat morning.

WILL CLINTON

Tonight I took

Ball St +9
Ball St v NIU under 73.5
Miami Ohio +18.5
Miami Ohio v Kent St under 48.5

Also had 4 on last night, but didn't get them posted quick enough last night. Went 1-3 and took

Ohio over 52.5
Buffalo +9.5 (another in-game line that I couldn't buy a hook on)
Buffalo +4.5
Bowling Green -9.5

WILL CLINTON

All NIU had to do was take a knee. Instead, they call a QB draw with 1:26 left and it goes for a TD. That's why it's betting I guess.

2-2 for the night, for a weekly total of 3-5. Dead even and only down juice. I'm sure I'll have some more tomorrow night.

Edit: They Ball St throws an unbelievable pick six to take away the under also. Wow. But last week on Duke they returned 2 pick six's to end the game and give me the 10 point win I needed, so you win some, you lose some.

DadVader1

November 13, 2013, 11:07:17 pm #5585 Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:45:39 pm by DadVader1
Here's what I've done so far:

FAU -16.5 @ S. Miss  5 units
Houston +15.5 @ Louisville  5 units
Mich +3 @ Northwestern  5 units
Colo St. -6.5 @ N. Mex  5 units
Ark St. -6.5 v. TX St.  5 units

I added the following to tail the rest of the picks in the two trends mentioned above:

W. VA -6.5 @ Kan  2.5 units
Stanford -3 @ USC  2.5 units
Purdue +21.5 @ Penn St.  2.5 units
C. Mich -3 @ W. Mich  2.5 units

To wrap it up, I did 2-team parlays for a total of 7.5 units boxing:
Houston +15.5
Mich +3
FAU -16.5
Colo St. -6.5

nughaud

November 14, 2013, 08:39:18 am #5586 Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:18:09 am by nughaud
Been out of town for a few weeks... still getting back on schedule.

Central Michigan -2.5 @ Western Michigan (
Stanford -4 @ USC (Line opened at -3 and is now at -4, I can see this line continuing to move maybe to -5.5)
N.C. State +7.5 @ Boston College (Remember Brandon Mitchell, well he's been back for a few games and they are a better team)
Houston +16 @ Louisville. (Line should come back down, but could hit +16.5 first. +17 would be a gift)
Vanderbilt -12.5 vs Kentucky (Vandy is a much better team and this line should be closer to -17)

Other games to look @:
SDSU -5.5 @ Hawaii
UTEP -6 vs FIU
CSU @ New Mexico - Was a great line when it opened at -4, now it's too high at -6.5/-7
Virginia Tech vs Maryland - Another great line at -13.5 when it opened and now at -16.5 (Possible play up to 17)
ULL -21 @ Georgia St
Miami -3 @ Duke

Will update if I add more.
Also, who's this Jeff guy and why aren't his posts out here until Saturday?

DadVader1

I'm glad that our picks are largely aligned. 

Jeff is one of our seasoned veterans and resident gurus who wins consistently season after season and who tries to teach us rookies good practices for consistent, long-term winning.  Learning from his experience (and tailing his dime plays) has been very profitable over my short time in this.  I don't think he makes his plays until Friday night or Saturday morning (in part because of the risk of 18-20 year-old college kids doing stupid college things and getting in trouble/suspended or hurt before game day).  I would typically just let him respond, but I think he may be serving a bit of a suspension himself. 

nughaud

Quote from: DadVader1 on November 14, 2013, 09:13:45 am
I'm glad that our picks are largely aligned. 

Jeff is one of our seasoned veterans and resident gurus who wins consistently season after season and who tries to teach us rookies good practices for consistent, long-term winning.  Learning from his experience (and tailing his dime plays) has been very profitable over my short time in this.  I don't think he makes his plays until Friday night or Saturday morning (in part because of the risk of 18-20 year-old college kids doing stupid college things and getting in trouble/suspended or hurt before game day).  I would typically just let him respond, but I think he may be serving a bit of a suspension himself. 

Thanks, but plays should at least be laid out, with "Final" plays to come out later if that's the case.
This way, people can possibly get on the weaker lines earlier.
We all know anyone can get hurt or suspended. The same thing happens in the NFL, and everyone knows a player can get hurt, or suspended.

DadVader1

I understand your point and would love to have information sooner rather than later, but I take more of a "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" approach.  If someone is willing to share their picks, they get a pass on their decision about when they feel comfortable sharing them (as long as it's before kick-off).

Hawgndaaz

i'll also add that Jeff has backed off posting his picks a bit due to getting banned. There's a mod on here that has a thing for banning him for petty things, mainly his openness about BB being a bad hire. He actually said it before the season started but now he gets banned for doing so lol.

McHogLovin

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 14, 2013, 10:17:46 am
i'll also add that Jeff has backed off posting his picks a bit due to getting banned. There's a mod on here that has a thing for banning him for petty things, mainly his openness about BB being a bad hire. He actually said it before the season started but now he gets banned for doing so lol.

Jeff and I are on the same side of that fight.  I could be right behind him if not supporting the hiring of CBB gets a guy banned. 

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: nughaud on November 14, 2013, 08:39:18 am

Stanford -4 @ USC (Line opened at -3 and is now at -4, I can see this line continuing to move maybe to -5.5)
N.C. State +7.5 @ Boston College (Remember Brandon Mitchell, well he's been back for a few games and they are a better team)
Houston +16 @ Louisville. (Line should come back down, but could hit +16.5 first. +17 would be a gift)
Vanderbilt -12.5 vs Kentucky (Vandy is a much better team and this line should be closer to -17)

Other games to look @:
SDSU -5.5 @ Hawaii
UTEP -6 vs FIU
CSU @ New Mexico - Was a great line when it opened at -4, now it's too high at -6.5/-7
Virginia Tech vs Maryland - Another great line at -13.5 when it opened and now at -16.5 (Possible play up to 17)
ULL -21 @ Georgia St
Miami -3 @ Duke

I'm Jeff.  I have occasionally made a play early in the week if I felt it was too good to pass up.  Generally there was a reason it was too good and bit me in the behind.    Sometimes you bet early and the line shifts in your favor and sometimes not.

I use my info for starting a big board early in the week and trim it as the week goes based in many variables.  I may start on Tuesday with 30 games.

I take my info and compare it with some other people around the country that are very good in their region, Atlantic City, Carson City, Reno, Vegas, Youngstown Ohio.  I will not bug these people 5 days a week.  They don't bug me 5 days a week.  We all share similar philosophies, and have some fairly significant longevity in the pick game. 

You will rarely if ever see me post a nickel or time play on a Tuesday for Saturday or Sunday action. I won't apologize for that.  I have my reasons.

Actually was on the phone with a poster here a couple weeks ago and mentioned a dime play I was about to make.  I was off an hour and the game had started like two minutes after we started talking.  I called around and got a bet because it was so early, but didn't post it because it had kicked off. Irish not only covered as a dog but won outright.   

Everyone has their own thing.  I try to post on here my picks at least an hour before kickoff of a game if I play it.  However if I get a call ten minutes prior and place a bet that's when I post it.

I'm not gonna spend the time to post 30 leans on a Tuesday.

Good luck to all this week!
Let's make some waves.

Here are a couple nuggets for you Nughaud

Tonight Clemson -10 bought the hook / 5 units

Tomorrow Wash Huskies +3.5 bought the hook / 5 units

Saturday Miami 3.00 / dime play.
Let's make some waves.

Hawgndaaz

thanks jeff!

that Miami line looks low. -3.5 at duke, and duke isn't exactly a huge homefield advantage.

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 14, 2013, 02:24:58 pm
thanks jeff!

that Miami line looks low. -3.5 at duke, and duke isn't exactly a huge homefield advantage.

Playing Devils advocate Duke is vastly improved. Not sure how much it has to do with them or that conference. Miami just got beat by Va Tech.

One of two things will happen. Canes will lay it down and lose to Duke, or strap it on and beat them handily.  I am going with the latter based on talent alone.
Let's make some waves.

McHogLovin

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 14, 2013, 02:36:09 pm
Playing Devils advocate Duke is vastly improved. Not sure how much it has to do with them or that conference. Miami just got beat by Va Tech.

One of two things will happen. Canes will lay it down and lose to Duke, or strap it on and beat them handily.  I am going with the latter based on talent alone.

Definitely a brains vs brawn matchup indeed. 

Just a heads up. Probably about to be banned again :(

Jeez the double standards on this thing depending the side of the argument you are on.

Some can actually curse curse, not even substitute letters and they don't get banned.

Sucks
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 14, 2013, 04:50:33 pm
Just a heads up. Probably about to be banned again :(

Jeez the double standards on this thing depending the side of the argument you are on.

Some can actually curse curse, not even substitute letters and they don't get banned.

Sucks

Other than this thread, I've generally stayed out of mmqb.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: nughaud on November 14, 2013, 08:39:18 am

Other games to look @:
SDSU -5.5 @ Hawaii
UTEP -6 vs FIU
ULL -21 @ Georgia St
Miami -3 @ Duke

Man, NC St has been pretty awful lately