Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brisket question

Started by theFlyingHog, May 01, 2015, 11:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I put a 12 pounder on the smoke hollow at 8 this morning. Start temp was 55 and it was at 133 at 1030. I put the probe right in the middle of the thickest part of the flat. This increase seems too fast to me. It's been a couple years since my last brisket so I can't remember. Chamber has been running right at 235 all morning

RazorWild

Even though I monitor temps on my briskets, I really don't care what it is.  A brisket is done when u probe it and it slides in like butter.  More times than not, the packers I do take a good 24 hrs at 250

theFlyingHog

Quote from: RazorWild on May 01, 2015, 11:47:57 am
Even though I monitor temps on my briskets, I really don't care what it is.  A brisket is done when u probe it and it slides in like butter.  More times than not, the packers I do take a good 24 hrs at 250
Good advice. I've smoked enough I know better than to rush it.

Do you wrap yours at any point? I usually don't but am thinking about wrapping it up when it hits 160

baitshop

I wrap mine after the first 6 or 7 hours of smoke and cook to an internal temp of 205. To me it keeps the flat from drying out and give me a more even cook.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

theFlyingHog

Finished after 18.25 hours and 50lbs of Kingsford. May need to invest in a BGE. Just got done making burnt ends, may never eat steak again

RazorWild

I never foil.  Glad it turned out well.  U will never regret buying a BGE

bigstyx

Big Green Egg will be among the best investments you will ever make. It's a life changer.

DeltaBoy

95% of BGE users never foil but on a stick burner , weber ect I do.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.