Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Hogville Annual Home Grown Mater Thread.

Started by LSUFan, April 26, 2015, 05:45:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

All things Mater go here, recipes, pics, favorite/best tasting.

I got 6 big boys in the ground this year, starting to bud.

What ch'all got?

Cue Pharmhog to come along and post pics of his three acres of tomatoey goodness >:(
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Boarcephus

Finished planting mine this weekend.  Got 4 Jet Stars and one each of the Cherokee Purples, Better Boys, Bradley Pinks, Juliet and Mortgage Lifter.  Pop told me the Mortgage Lifter was all his mother planted when he was growing up on the farm and thought I'd try them.  Story goes where the guy who developed it sold 6,000 of the plants for a dollar apiece and paid off his mortgage.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Won't be planting any since I am paying off a Hospital bill and for a new HVAC system.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Getting ready to try something different this year.  Not sure about the rest of you guys but the tomato blight has eaten me up the last several years.  At the end of last year I scraped out all of the old mulch I had in the garden and had it hauled off.  Dead leaves and everything.  This year I plan on putting down a layer 6-7 pages thick of newspaper around my tomatoes, soaking it with water and covering it with sand and dropping my tomato cage over it.  I was told the sand is basically sterile (ie, no diseases) so that will act as a disease barrier and should keep my plants from getting the blight.  We will see and if it works and if it does it will solve my problem.  I know the County Extension Office says to use Daconil to stop it but that does not work.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Too much rain. I have my garden disked, chiseled, fertilized, and tilled but cant get it dry enough to re-till and make my rows. I do have a flat of pink girls just begging to be planted. Hopefully this ten day forecast with no rain will make it possible.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

LSUFan

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 28, 2015, 07:28:13 pm
Too much rain. I have my garden disked, chiseled, fertilized, and tilled but cant get it dry enough to re-till and make my rows. I do have a flat of pink girls just begging to be planted. Hopefully this ten day forecast with no rain will make it possible.
I will find you. And I will steal your maters.

:)

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 28, 2015, 07:08:16 pm
Getting ready to try something different this year.  Not sure about the rest of you guys but the tomato blight has eaten me up the last several years.  At the end of last year I scraped out all of the old mulch I had in the garden and had it hauled off.  Dead leaves and everything.  This year I plan on putting down a layer 6-7 pages thick of newspaper around my tomatoes, soaking it with water and covering it with sand and dropping my tomato cage over it.  I was told the sand is basically sterile (ie, no diseases) so that will act as a disease barrier and should keep my plants from getting the blight.  We will see and if it works and if it does it will solve my problem.  I know the County Extension Office says to use Daconil to stop it but that does not work.

I did this one year without the sand, my cages are home made and held the paper down good.
Worked well as far as keeping weeds down.
This year I rolled out that fabric that is used under flower beds, 4 ft wide, covered the edges
with dirt, and made a small cut to plant my tomato plants then
stabbed my cages down through the fabric. It was quicker and
easier than newspaper but we'll see how good it works.

Put out about 22 plants, and maybe 18 pepper plants.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on April 29, 2015, 08:41:54 am
I did this one year without the sand, my cages are home made and held the paper down good.
Worked well as far as keeping weeds down.
This year I rolled out that fabric that is used under flower beds, 4 ft wide, covered the edges
with dirt, and made a small cut to plant my tomato plants then
stabbed my cages down through the fabric. It was quicker and
easier than newspaper but we'll see how good it works.

Put out about 22 plants, and maybe 18 pepper plants.

Surely you put a soaker hose under the fabric? 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HawgWild

I planted 11 different types (3 of each), 9 heirloom and 2 hybrid cherry, a couple of weeks back - Oaxacan Jewel, Amana Orange, Aunt Ruby, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Garden Peach, German Johnson, White Beauty, Vintage Wine and Cherry Honeybee & Super Sweet. I started them from seed the weekend after the Super Bowl. Many have blooms on them. Got a variety of peppers in the ground as well.

BR

Ready to Tomatoes in the ground this week. Up here in NW Missouri, May 1st is the day...  Should HOPEFULLY have all the frost past us...  Dirt is already to go, got Taters, Lettuce, Beets and onions in the ground now...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 29, 2015, 10:05:17 am
Surely you put a soaker hose under the fabric? 

No my garden is usually pretty wet, kind of low and gets a lot of shade.
If have to water I can, by pumping some pond water to it, and letting it soak in
around everything.
May not work, but I thought it would be worth a try, beats trying to
pull weeds from inside the cages I hope.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on April 29, 2015, 12:47:12 pm
Ready to Tomatoes in the ground this week. Up here in NW Missouri, May 1st is the day...  Should HOPEFULLY have all the frost past us...  Dirt is already to go, got Taters, Lettuce, Beets and onions in the ground now...

Good looking Garden Spot!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on April 29, 2015, 02:15:00 pm
If have to water I can, by pumping some pond water to it, and letting it soak in
around everything.

Yeah I hope. i used plastic last year with soakers but it rained so much it didnt matter. Ive got extra mulch leftover from the flowerbeds so I think Im putting down soaker hose and then mulch on top of that. We'll see. Should be able to get plants in the ground by the weekend.

HawgWild

I've got a jar of green tomatoes that I canned up in some leftover Mrs. Wages last summer after using up all the jalapenos. I need to open it up and see how that went. May want to do more this summer if it turned out well.

Hog-Corleone

1:  Cherry - for the wife...
1: Roma - for me
1: Early Girl
1: Celebrity
1: Heinz heirloom Classic - wanted to try this one
1: Super Fantastic

5 different pepper plants, Onions sets, home grown garlic hanging and braided, ready for salsa....(the rest of the recipe will have to be bought....)
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: woodrow hog call on April 29, 2015, 02:15:00 pm
around everything.

I've done this for years, works great.  no problem with watering, the fabric i use will let moisture through.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

toshortrock

got 48 mater plants,,12  squash,,12 cucumbers,,4 egg,,,8 jalpeno,,,row of okra,,,and d rain today just wat i needed
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HawgWild

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HawgWild on May 09, 2015, 11:17:08 am
The tomatoes are liking this rain.

Looking good. Mine are a little late this year but finally got everything in this week. Everything is loving this cool drink its getting. Hoping we dont get hail and it beats everything flat.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgWild

What do you guys use to support your tomato plants? I've got mine in 54" cages. They're up past the top rung already and I haven't harvested the first tomato. I looked at the Texas Tomato cage but who wants to pay $30 a cage. Help!

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on May 17, 2015, 02:44:04 pm
What do you guys use to support your tomato plants? I've got mine in 54" cages. They're up past the top rung already and I haven't harvested the first tomato. I looked at the Texas Tomato cage but who wants to pay $30 a cage. Help!
It's a vine, most commercial growers just let them crawl.

Mine are at the top of the cage and are just starting to make. They love this rain though, they are so green they are almost blue.

DeltaBoy

Dad planted Early Girls, and Beef eaters with Cherry ones.

woodrow hog call

I made my own cages from the wire they use in concrete,
5 foot wide roll, cut off what you want for a circle.
Then cut the bottom strand off so you have 4 inch spikes around the circumference
Of the bottom to jab down into the ground.

Better than any I have bought or seen for sale.

Just looked on Lowes website, 150X5 foot roll for $107.00.
Probably about 4 feet per cage, depending on how big you want

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on May 18, 2015, 01:27:59 pm
It's a vine, most commercial growers just let them crawl.

Mine are at the top of the cage and are just starting to make. They love this rain though, they are so green they are almost blue.

Mine look HORRIBLE.  Rain is killing me. 

LSUFan

It must be the corn dog in the air down here  :D

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on May 19, 2015, 01:37:43 pm
It must be the corn dog in the air down here  :D

We had a lot of rain last year, too.  My vines grew big and dark.  Looked good, just never would bloom.  Had some pretty vines, though. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2015, 01:42:48 pm
We had a lot of rain last year, too.  My vines grew big and dark.  Looked good, just never would bloom.  Had some pretty vines, though. 

See if you can get a Bee Keeper to put a hive on your property.  My Parents did and it helped a ton.

HawgWild

See that white box in the back of the picture I posted? That's my bee hive.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on May 19, 2015, 02:31:35 pm
See that white box in the back of the picture I posted? That's my bee hive.
We goin to yo house to steal/borrow maters  ;D

address? please?

PharmacistHog

We have plenty of bees. My fruit trees are loaded. The rain is just hard on the garden. Rained so much last year it knocked the blooms off or rotted them.

PharmacistHog

But all five cherry tomato plants look great.

LSUFan

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2015, 02:42:15 pm
We have plenty of bees. My fruit trees are loaded. The rain is just hard on the garden. Rained so much last year it knocked the blooms off or rotted them.
Try any bloom rot spray?

Would seem melons and squash would do well with the high water content.

HawgWild

FWIW, even though I have a hive or two I really don't recall ever seeing a bee on my tomato blooms. Apples, melons, berries, beans, stuff like that, for sure.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on May 19, 2015, 02:59:52 pm
FWIW, even though I have a hive or two I really don't recall ever seeing a bee on my tomato blooms. Apples, melons, berries, beans, stuff like that, for sure.
Would lead me to think tomatoes cross pollinate with wind.

Makes sense if Pharm's been getting a lot of rain and no maters.

BR

Our Plants up here in NW Missouri are looking great.  About 3-4 weeks behind you all, but have 8 different types of Heirlooms planted this year with about 5 types of Beef Steaks, Yellow and a few cherry's...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2015, 01:05:42 pm
Mine look HORRIBLE.  Rain is killing me. 

Mine too, I'm starting to think that they will never recover from all the water.
Lower leaves just turning brown and shriveled up.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on May 20, 2015, 09:24:25 am
Mine too, I'm starting to think that they will never recover from all the water.
Lower leaves just turning brown and shriveled up.

Exactly. I hit mine with a side dressing of epsom salt.  We'll see.

HawgWild

Mine are looking really good. They're in a raised bed that I built a couple of years ago. I incorporated about 20 yards of "grower's base" that I purchased in bulk from Good Earth Horticulture in Menifee into the soil. It drains really well.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 20, 2015, 09:55:53 am
Exactly. I hit mine with a side dressing of epsom salt.  We'll see.

I'm using Spray-n-grow, but if it doesn't dry up soon I think they're done for.
In dry weather mine will thrive, not so much this year.

DeltaBoy

All of Dads are on top of his Raised Beds the rest drowned.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgWild on May 17, 2015, 02:44:04 pm

Make your own out of fence wire. The ones with the large square openings. There are youtube videos as to how to make em.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PharmacistHog

I just drive t-posts and tie them with mater string. 

HawgWild

Some of mine are approaching 6 feet already. I think all heirlooms are indeterminate, so they'll continue to grow.

LSUFan

I have about 20 on one plant, they are really putting out like Michelle Wall in the 9th grade.

As an aside, I have a HUGE cucumber plant, blooms all over it, the cucumbers get to about 1/2 inch long, turn yellow, then brown, then fall off.

Any ideas?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on May 26, 2015, 03:28:12 pm
I have about 20 on one plant, they are really putting out like Michelle Wall in the 9th grade.

As an aside, I have a HUGE cucumber plant, blooms all over it, the cucumbers get to about 1/2 inch long, turn yellow, then brown, then fall off.

Any ideas?

Too much rain. 

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

Mom said they are waiting and going to plant a fall garden since most of the Spring one drowned even after replanting 3 times.  Just too much Rain.

HawgWild

Sorry to hear that. All things considered, mine are looking pretty good. I'm guessing I'll start harvesting some next week.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on May 29, 2015, 01:40:19 pm
Sorry to hear that. All things considered, mine are looking pretty good. I'm guessing I'll start harvesting some next week.
Bragging about mater sammiches before my maters are ripe is grounds for a bant  >:(

Just keep that in mind