Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question is it cheaper to grill or to go out and eat.

Started by DeltaBoy, May 02, 2014, 09:22:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ImHogginIt

Quote from: 1highhog on December 02, 2014, 10:57:17 pm
Yyeppp, see, that's just the problem, its just personal preference.  I wouldn't eat a piece of meat from Walmart or Krogers, and it sure wouldn't be just 16oz.  Tell me, how thick was that cut of meat?

It was fairly thick. Damn good steak. Better than I ever get at a restaurant.  That includes Bob's Steak and Chop House and Chamberlains here in the DFW area.

1highhog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 02, 2014, 11:01:15 pm
It was fairly thick. Damn good steak. Better than I ever get at a restaurant.  That includes Bob's Steak and Chop House and Chamberlains here in the DFW area.

Well, like I said in an earlier post, I'm used to getting all my own beef butchered, so when your used to eating your meat and getting your steaks that way, its almost impossible to get a good steak anywhere to measure up.  So then you go to a butcher that you know through other friends that use him to get meat.  I usually get 2 24oz. steaks, and no, we don't eat them in one night, my wife usually makes twice baked potatos plus a salad and usually a dessert.  I'd love for her to be able to make her twice baked potato's for anyone on here that likes them, I've never had one as good as hers, its huge and is a meal in itself.

PorkRinds

I go to an it her shop as well.  I can get two bone in rib eyes 1.5 inches thick for about $40. For my family I usually just get a massive  sirloin and slice it up after its cooked.  I can feed them a darn good steak dinner for about $30 total. I could get two nice sized filets for probably 40 bucks as well. I usually wait for steak to go on sale and it even cheaper.

1highhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 02, 2014, 11:58:43 pm
I go to an it her shop as well.  I can get two bone in rib eyes 1.5 inches thick for about $40. For my family I usually just get a massive  sirloin and slice it up after its cooked.  I can feed them a darn good steak dinner for about $30 total. I could get two nice sized filets for probably 40 bucks as well. I usually wait for steak to go on sale and it even cheaper.

I most of the time order filet mignon in various sizes and cuts. I get the prime cut, which is essentially the best cut there is. Another option is the cut from Angus cattle, which is what we have slaughtered each year. We feed ours strictly vegetarian feed and by doing so they produce the highest quality beef that can be found. We researched all of this before we started looking at having our own beef to slaughter, instead of buying store bought meats. 

There is also the option of purchasing an entire filet mignon roast.  At the butcher, for a 32 oz. cut, the average price will run you somewhere between $110-$130.  When choosing the cut of filet mignon, it's best to opt for the cut with a bit of marbling in the center, I know people don't like to see that in their steak, but it adds greatly to the taste of their steak.  A lot of people I talk to don't like filet, but it's because they've had it in a Restuarant and you have to have filet cooked either rare or medium rare, if it's cooked any longer than that, it can get as tough as a boot.

If I do it at home, I wrap it with bacon, and let it sear a little longer that way, because I'm not a guy that loves eating a steak that is still moving.  By adding the bacon to it, not only does it add flavor, but it allows it to cook a hair longer without getting tough and it keeps your steak juicy.  Makes my mouth water, just thinking of it.  Have that, twice baked tater, a salad to make myself think I'm eating healthy, finish that off with a http://allrecipes.com/video/4187/chocolate-cookie-cheesecake/detail.aspx?prop24=VD_RelatedVideo

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on December 03, 2014, 07:19:45 am
I most of the time order filet mignon in various sizes and cuts. I get the prime cut, which is essentially the best cut there is. Another option is the cut from Angus cattle, which is what we have slaughtered each year. We feed ours strictly vegetarian feed and by doing so they produce the highest quality beef that can be found. We researched all of this before we started looking at having our own beef to slaughter, instead of buying store bought meats. 

There is also the option of purchasing an entire filet mignon roast.  At the butcher, for a 32 oz. cut, the average price will run you somewhere between $110-$130.  When choosing the cut of filet mignon, it's best to opt for the cut with a bit of marbling in the center, I know people don't like to see that in their steak, but it adds greatly to the taste of their steak.  A lot of people I talk to don't like filet, but it's because they've had it in a Restuarant and you have to have filet cooked either rare or medium rare, if it's cooked any longer than that, it can get as tough as a boot.

If I do it at home, I wrap it with bacon, and let it sear a little longer that way, because I'm not a guy that loves eating a steak that is still moving.  By adding the bacon to it, not only does it add flavor, but it allows it to cook a hair longer without getting tough and it keeps your steak juicy.  Makes my mouth water, just thinking of it.  Have that, twice baked tater, a salad to make myself think I'm eating healthy, finish that off with a http://allrecipes.com/video/4187/chocolate-cookie-cheesecake/detail.aspx?prop24=VD_RelatedVideo

The butcher I go to sells prime beef pretty much exclusively.  I guess maybe the difference is in the size of the steaks we buy?  I wouldn't ever buy a 32 oz cut of meat or even two 16oz cuts.  That's just way too much meat for my family.  That said though, if we aren't talking about steak, but any other meal, would eating at home not be cheaper for you?  I Can't take my crew (myself and three girls) out to dinner for less than $50.  On average, I'd say meals I cook at home range about $20-25, with some being cheaper and some being more expensive.  But I go all out, and really buy good ingredients.  I'm just surprised to hear anyone who can eat out cheaper.  For you, is that only steak dinners, or everything?  Beyond that, the older I get and more experienced I get at cooking, the more I feel like I can usually make it better at home.  ;)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1highhog

Its only steak dinners Delta.  And let me try and clear myself up a bit.  I think I said in and earlier post in this thread, I've got some timers as old as I'm gettin, but my wife and I slaughter all our own beef, hog, and deer, then add along with that your rabbit and squirrel, we've got the met department covered, oh, forgot bout fish, but hell, we're in the South, doesn't every ody fish and hunt?  So anyway, our meat department is covered, we have 3 1/2 freezers at home that's completely stocked with meat every year plus what peas, corn, butter beans, we stuff in there.  Then we can our tomatoes, jams, juices, peaches, and what not.  I've been procastanating the last few years telling my wife I was going to build a smokehouse, and a potato shed or potato bin as some called it.  Now we just keep all our potatoes under the house on plastic. 

But what I was referring to was that IF I went to the Butcher I usually end up spending about a $100, by the time you get you meat, which I get as I mentioned filet, and I get a good amount, it actually is just for the two of us but we always have plenty leftovers for another meal the next night.  So I guess you could say spend a $100 but it ends up feeding us for two nights, which is really good.

1highhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 03, 2014, 09:04:25 am
wrapping anything in Bacon makes it better.

All this talk is making me hungry, bacon is making me want breakfast tonight for supper.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 1highhog on December 03, 2014, 04:15:19 pm
Its only steak dinners Delta.  And let me try and clear myself up a bit.  I think I said in and earlier post in this thread, I've got some timers as old as I'm gettin, but my wife and I slaughter all our own beef, hog, and deer, then add along with that your rabbit and squirrel, we've got the met department covered, oh, forgot bout fish, but hell, we're in the South, doesn't every ody fish and hunt?  So anyway, our meat department is covered, we have 3 1/2 freezers at home that's completely stocked with meat every year plus what peas, corn, butter beans, we stuff in there.  Then we can our tomatoes, jams, juices, peaches, and what not.  I've been procastanating the last few years telling my wife I was going to build a smokehouse, and a potato shed or potato bin as some called it.  Now we just keep all our potatoes under the house on plastic. 

But what I was referring to was that IF I went to the Butcher I usually end up spending about a $100, by the time you get you meat, which I get as I mentioned filet, and I get a good amount, it actually is just for the two of us but we always have plenty leftovers for another meal the next night.  So I guess you could say spend a $100 but it ends up feeding us for two nights, which is really good.

MOM and Dad are just like you  3 Freezers and 3 refrigerators packed full. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

alwaysnextyear

Why do you need a 24 oz steak? Sounds like heart disease is in your future

DeltaBoy

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on December 11, 2014, 03:47:12 pm
Why do you need a 24 oz steak? Sounds like heart disease is in your future

Why not unless your doing it 2-3 times a week once of twice a month should be fine.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

alwaysnextyear

Depends on what you are going out for. There's a lot more fast casual healthy choices that are relatively cheap now. I'd rather cook my own steak at home than eat some crappy place like Outback. Much cheaper too.

DeltaBoy

Good Steaks are pretty much a sure deal at home , eating out I get it as I want about 85% of the time.

alwaysnextyear

Probably gonna grab a couple filets to grill tomorrow night. Fried okra coated in almond flour fried in coconut oil and pick up a pint of whole hog potato salad. Nom nom.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Momma and me finally said to heck with it.  We did a dinner bill study during the Break and now we are straight Water drinkers when we go out.  One place had charged us $3:25 for Sweet Tea and Cokes.  Most are at the $2:25-2:50 range.

LSUFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 25, 2015, 12:17:47 pm
Momma and me finally said to heck with it.  We did a dinner bill study during the Break and now we are straight Water drinkers when we go out.  One place had charged us $3:25 for Sweet Tea and Cokes.  Most are at the $2:25-2:50 range.
Squeeze a few lemons in it, add a little sweetner
Free lemonade
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LSUFan on February 25, 2015, 03:47:43 pm
Free lemonade

That's exactly what I do. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: LSUFan on February 25, 2015, 03:47:43 pm
Free lemonade

we've done this for years.  Just two people eating out and ordering tea or soft drinks adds roughly $5 plus tax plus tip to the total bill and I'm just too cheap to pay that. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 26, 2015, 09:18:46 am
we've done this for years.  Just two people eating out and ordering tea or soft drinks adds roughly $5 plus tax plus tip to the total bill and I'm just too cheap to pay that. 

That what we are doing it saves us 5-8 bucks plus we only get an appetizer if we have a coupon for a free one on our phones.

PorkRinds

I had a waiter friend tell me his boss HATES for people to order lemon water and add sweetener to it because he feels like they are "cheating the restaurant" out of buying a drink.  He told his waiters to add $1 surcharge for anyone doing it.  None of them do, because people would be really mad, but the manager wants them to.  I told him that I felt like his boss was cheating me by charging me $2.50 for a soda that he pays like less than five cents for.  I worked in restaurants through high school, and at one time did the ordering from coca cola.  They paid $9 for a box of syrup that made like 1000 drinks, and the CO2 tanks were like $5 to refill.  So we are talking less than a cent per drink, but that was back in the 90's.  I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the price has gone way up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 09:31:25 am
I had a waiter friend tell me his boss HATES for people to order lemon water and add sweetener to it because he feels like they are "cheating the restaurant" out of buying a drink.  He told his waiters to add $1 surcharge for anyone doing it.  None of them do, because people would be really mad, but the manager wants them to.  I told him that I felt like his boss was cheating me by charging me $2.50 for a soda that he pays like less than five cents for.  I worked in restaurants through high school, and at one time did the ordering from coca cola.  They paid $9 for a box of syrup that made like 1000 drinks, and the CO2 tanks were like $5 to refill.  So we are talking less than a cent per drink, but that was back in the 90's.  I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the price has gone way up.

Know what you mean.  I worked for Cain's Coffee years ago and the restaurants had roughly 30 cents in a gallon of tea and half the glass was ice so they had, give or take, a nickle in a glass they were selling for $2.  I just felt like I was getting ripped off and haven't bought tea or soda in many, many years.

Honestly kind of aggravates me when we take family out and they know we plan on picking up the check and every damn one of them orders coke or tea.  4 extra people adds $10-15 to the total tab in a hurry just in drinks alone.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 09:31:25 am

Yep and working at St Vincent's in College Chips were 15-20 cents each at cost and we sold them for 50-75 cents each.   I feel no pity for the manager or any of them cause even today the cost of tea or coke for them is still less than 70 cents from what I can gather. So they are ripping me and you the consumer off. A girl at our Cotton Patch Restaurant said they make 50-70 gallons of tea per a day.

For me and you a 400 count of Tea bags is 26 bucks and that would make.  4 bags per a gallon That would make 100 gallons of Tea for 26 bucks minus the sugar you added to 50% of it for sweet tea.  They pay way less whole sales so they are running a racket on Tea and cokes.

jacobp

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 26, 2015, 10:02:59 am
Yep and working at St Vincent's in College Chips were 15-20 cents each at cost and we sold them for 50-75 cents each.   I feel no pity for the manager or any of them cause even today the cost of tea or coke for them is still less than 70 cents from what I can gather. So they are ripping me and you the consumer off. A girl at our Cotton Patch Restaurant said they make 50-70 gallons of tea per a day.

For me and you a 400 count of Tea bags is 26 bucks and that would make.  4 bags per a gallon That would make 100 gallons of Tea for 26 bucks minus the sugar you added to 50% of it for sweet tea.  They pay way less whole sales so they are running a racket on Tea and cokes.
True, but at the same time that's why they are able to charge less for food.
Most restaurants run a pretty thin margin on food sales and rely on beverage/bar sales to make their money.
The only difference you would see if they started charging you 50 cents for a coke instead of $2 is your $15 entree would probably go up to close to $20

PorkRinds

Quote from: jacobp on February 26, 2015, 10:27:09 am
True, but at the same time that's why they are able to charge less for food.
Most restaurants run a pretty thin margin on food sales and rely on beverage/bar sales to make their money.
The only difference you would see if they started charging you 50 cents for a coke instead of $2 is your $15 entree would probably go up to close to $20

I dunno dude.  I don't see how a Mexican joint can't make money off of a place of beans, rice, and a couple of enchiladas that maybe cost them a dollar for food costs, and a dollar for labor.  They sell it for $8-$10.  When I worked at a local tex mex joint they had their entire menu "costed out" for lack of a better term.  The most expensive menu item was $5 and they charged $11 for it...

BR

A lot of places in bigger cities are only serving Bottled Water to customers.. Overseas in Central America that is all you can get...  I look at it, if a Business owner takes a chance spending his money.  Why wouldn't he want to maximize all profits he can...  I have many friends that own Bars & restaurants that are packed. They are switching over to Bottled Water to help out their bottom line...

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Food-Cost   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PorkRinds

Quote from: BR on February 26, 2015, 03:02:58 pm
A lot of places in bigger cities are only serving Bottled Water to customers.. Overseas in Central America that is all you can get...  I look at it, if a Business owner takes a chance spending his money.  Why wouldn't he want to maximize all profits he can...  I have many friends that own Bars & restaurants that are packed. They are switching over to Bottled Water to help out their bottom line...

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Food-Cost

Sorry, but the second a restaurant starts charging me for a drink when I order water, that's the day they lose my business.  Just for the principle of the matter.  I can see charging a small fee, like ten cents or a quarter, but anything more than that is just not something I'm willing to do.

BR

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 03:15:04 pm
Sorry, but the second a restaurant starts charging me for a drink when I order water, that's the day they lose my business.  Just for the principle of the matter.  I can see charging a small fee, like ten cents or a quarter, but anything more than that is just not something I'm willing to do.
I understand that, but I see it coming more and more in the future. Except for your Chain Places.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/restaurants-charging-for-water-the-culinary-equivalent-of-a-baggage-fee-2014-10-02

https://www.restaurants.com/blog/can-restaurants-charge-for-water/#.VO-PLS6rFgs
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

Bottled water is a racket to start with and when places I got to get start doing what these links say they are going to then I will eat somewhere else or bring my own bottled water.