Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V - ASU at tempe, arizona

Started by flippinhogmana, December 18, 2017, 03:27:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

The opposition.  They dont shoot nearly as many shots as us, I would thing they are similar to UTA in their over approach, but with a more complete roster and better players.  As you can see they have had three principal starters all year, their center JCC, Ibis, and Ekmark.  They are 7-3 at this point having lost to Miss State by 2, Green Bay in the next game by 13, and to FSU by 11.  The first two were in a tournament.   They have beaten some decent teams by wide margins (several 25-30)

Player                                 gmp-gms    ppg
42 Ibis, Kianna                     10-10        11.6  6-1 forward starter
03 Haines, Sabrina                 9-6          10.2  5-10 guard reserve, started six games
11 Ryan, Robbi                     10-4           9.4   5-9 guard started four games
52 Ruden, Jamie                    9-0           9.1   6-1 forward reserve, started no games, best 3 shooter, 50 %
33 Johnson-Chapman, Ch     10-10         8.7    6-3 center started all games, 7 boards a game
22 Ekmark, Courtney            10-10         8.1   6-0 guard forward started all games
21 Elenga, Sophia                 10-0          5.7    6-1 forward, reserve role all games, good offensive rebounder
01 Richardson, Reili               10-6          5.5    5-11 guard, started six games
04 Russell, Kiara                    10-4          3.7   5-8 guard, started four games
44 Rubin, Eva                         4-0           3.5   6-5 center reserve
24 Sanders, Bre'yanna             5-0          0.6    6-0 forward reserve
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

This will be our toughest test to date.  A victory here would be huge but not likely.

flippinhogmana

They operate at a considerably slower pace than them.  They dont turn the ball over much, about two more turnover per game than us at their pace.  If we can get them to quicken there pace to ours we might be able to negate their heights and better players.  If it was at home I would give us about a 40-60 ratio of a shot, on the road, it just depends on how well Cosper is healed, how hot RCB stays, how much Swenson contributes and how much our bigs can stay out of foul trouble and contribute (and hold them down).

Their forwards and center have started every game.  That is their strength.  It appears with shuffling lineups at the guard spot, they haven't found what they are looking for completely, or at least haven't early.  Our guards are our strong point and guards wins most games.  I would give us better than a twenty five percentage shot if my deductions are correct.  If they had solidified their guards by now, not quite so much.  Then it would probably be determined by how hot we were from the outside.  We probably arent going to shoot 50 per cent from the three line in this game or in the SEC on too many occasions. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

December 18, 2017, 09:28:51 pm #3 Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:20:33 pm by flippinhogmana
ASU is now 8-3, they beat Idaho tonight by over forty 77-33.

The Idaho team had 3 big girls (6-4/6-5), but they only put up 5 shots (1-5) between them despite playing a lot of minutes each.  ASU got 19 offensive rebounds off them, but Idaho got only five.  There was only 13 and 11 fouls respectively, statistically a weird game with that many big girls especially.  I would have to conclude that the Idaho big girls were slow and not very good. 

psycHOGlogist

Not to be nitpicky, but they lost to MSU by 8, not 2. Which is still pretty good! And Green Bay is one of the best, if not the actual best, mid-major in the country this year. No shame in a loss to them.

The Sun Devils lost one of their best guards to a knee injury a couple weeks ago, but they came out and made 9 threes the next game (the loss to FSU).

This will be a big test for us. CMN's UW teams were one game below .500 against ASU while he was in Seattle (I think).

I think we will lose this one by double figures, most likely, but if we shoot as well from distance as we did against UTA, we have a shot.

Birminghog

Many thanks for all of the insight. Who is RCB?

LadybackBBFan

LadybackBBFan

ASU is receiving votes for the AP top 25.  Our biggest test of the year.

beringer62

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on December 19, 2017, 08:23:46 am
Not to be nitpicky, but they lost to MSU by 8, not 2. Which is still pretty good! And Green Bay is one of the best, if not the actual best, mid-major in the country this year. No shame in a loss to them.

The Sun Devils lost one of their best guards to a knee injury a couple weeks ago, but they came out and made 9 threes the next game (the loss to FSU).

This will be a big test for us. CMN's UW teams were one game below .500 against ASU while he was in Seattle (I think).

I think we will lose this one by double figures, most likely, but if we shoot as well from distance as we did against UTA, we have a shot.

I stand corrected,  I think if we can offensively rebound, shoot from the three well, and turn them over, we have a shot.  But we have to get a lead, we cant play from behind this time.  Us having a lead puts more pressure on them, especially their guards.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: beringer62 on December 19, 2017, 10:59:22 am
I think it's RNB, no?

it might be but RCB types better.  As long as you know who I am giving credit too!

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: beringer62 on December 19, 2017, 10:59:22 am
I think it’s RNB, no?
You are correct.  Raven Norcross Baker.  Sorry!

psycHOGlogist

They call her "RnB" -- or "R & B" like "rhythm & blues" -- on the team, per Coach Neighbors. Gotta love a good nickname!! :-)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on December 19, 2017, 02:20:47 pm
They call her "RnB" -- or "R & B" like "rhythm & blues" -- on the team, per Coach Neighbors. Gotta love a good nickname!! :-)

I will conform if my fingers can remember

flippinhogmana

The broadcast tomorrow (including RnB's play, practicing) will be on Pac 10 tv and doesn't even show any live stats to be broadcast.  Usually you can log in to the visitor site of the host schedule and pic up at least live stats that way, but does anyone know if we can log onto Pac10 tv if we have SEC tv?  in other words does anyone know if the conferences have a reciprocal agreement for such circumstances?

LadybackBBFan

We have cox tv and the Pac 12 network is part of my tv package.  That is all I know.

flippinhogmana

December 20, 2017, 11:22:30 pm #17 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:41:41 am by flippinhogmana
I live in Tulsa, so that doesnt work for me, but thanks for both of your input

I looks like I can log onto the ASU site through my Uverse (AT&T) internet account.

flippinhogmana

I am not able to pickup the broadcast (have to chew on my AT&T bundle again for that) but I am listening to the radio broadcast and have the stat feed up.  Cosper is not in the starting lineup RnB is starting.

flippinhogmana

But then Spangler and Swenson are also shown as starting, I dont know exactly what that means, maybe its just a matchup thing, maybe a reward?  Spangler shown starting is the most curious.

flippinhogmana

seven or eight minutes away from tipoff

flippinhogmana

the listed starting lineup wasnt right (maybe a joke), it is the usual staring lineup

flippinhogmana

hogs get the ball first, asu in a man to man, they play full court press, monk hits a jumper 2-0 hogs

flippinhogmana

asu misses, but hogs turn it over on a travel, asu misses and williams gets her second board, still 2-0 monks misses a three, asu misses again and then mason throws it away trying to hit a fast break
asu has it with 9 seconds on the clock, and then fail to score.  still 2-0 hogs with two gone.

flippinhogmana

monk with a turnover, asu misses but gets the offensive board and russell scores inside with a layup, 2-2
cosper with an offensive foul
6:31 to go, Asu hits a three 5-2

flippinhogmana

hogs miss another three
asu with the board
monk steals the ball, and then lose it out of bounds
hogs with five turnovers so far
offensive foul on asu
cosper misses a three
and asu hits another three, 8-2 asu
Kiara with a moving screen foul

flippinhogmana

hogs make there seventh turnover (five minutes without scoring in that stretch).  Going to be a long game if the hogs dont settle down. 

flippinhogmana

monk 1-3, cosper 0-1 on shots
monk with two TOs, mason with three and williams with one (offensve foul moving screen)

flippinhogmana

Rnb and Taylah Thomas in
ASU scores inside 10-2, Mason hits to bring it back to 10-4
ASU hits outside again, 13-4 asu

flippinhogmana

Mason scores inside 13-6
asu scores inside again (6-3 girl) 15-6
monk scores low, 15-8 with three to go in the quarter

flippinhogmana

foul on TT
Swinson checks in
hogs with the ball now with two to go, Swinson loses the ball
hogs with 10 turnovers in the first quarter, thats what they average for a whole game

flippinhogmana

ASU hits another three hogs behind by 10 and have just committed their 11th turnover
ASU hits another three 21-8

flippinhogmana

monk misses again
layup inside 23-8 asu
mason shoots and airball
bout a minute to go still 23-8, and another three, 26-8

flippinhogmana

swinson travels 12th turnover (we still have a lot of work to do to be a good team apparently)
26-8 at the end of the first quarter

dbhog

Wow losing 50-14 in the second quarter with 18 turnovers.  Cannot win like that especially on the road.

flippinhogmana

obviously I gave up, hogs down 52-14 at half

flippinhogmana

sometimes you have games like this.  Hope they salvage something in the second half.

LadybackBBFan

We are on Christmas break already.  I think we needed this type of game.  I remember scheduling top teams to show us we were not that good and what we needed to work on.  Too bad we have a Christmas break.  We really have to work on the pressure that they have been putting on us.

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 21, 2017, 04:46:44 pm
burn the film
coach said the same thing on the radio post game report.  All of our weaknesses were exposed today.  This will not be the only game that we will be blown out this year, but we can compete against the bottom half of the conference if we keep the faith and keep learning from our mistakes and weaknesses.

nwahogfan1

Hard to believe that we are 50 points worse than a top 20 team. 

Basketball fan

Outlplayed...out coached..tail kickin..can't remember last time we lost by that margin..this team not even ranked !!!!!!!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Basketball fan on December 21, 2017, 06:50:17 pm
Outlplayed...out coached..tail kickin..can't remember last time we lost by that margin..this team not even ranked !!!!!!!

relax Jimmy, it didnt mean anything

BWS

As was said before, these are the type of games you need sometimes. It may sound strange, but I rather take a loss like this then play a weak non-conference schedule like we did last year. About a year ago, we were playing Houston Baptist, who we beat by 61 points. Then, went 2-14 in conference play.

MoHog74

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 21, 2017, 06:51:14 pm
relax Jimmy, it didnt mean anything

Perfect post.  Thanks for making me chuckle. 

We'll see where we're at 3 years from now with the players he recruits, and the results of his coaching.  We all know the results we had with the last coach in year 3.  WPS

Basketball fan

Time will tell...gonna get kicked by lots of better teams here in next few months....when u all kick little teams like Uta u think we should be in top 25..when they play someone good all areas exposed and tonite it was..you guys will be talking about how great they are when they beat up little grambling state next week...their defense is horrible !! Get a reality check..this year's preseason as weak as last years..you all just trying to justify embarrassing loss...btw..why do you keep throwing out jimmy name flippinhogman...get over him...quit being a hater..he has obviously moved on from  u guys..do the same

Basketball fan

I doubt jimmy even looks at these stupid posts from the likes of those that have never played a minute in a basketball game !! You need to move on flippinhogmana....I'm sure he has...espn much more well known than lady hawgs ball !! Quit being a hater...apparently you can dish it out but can't the constructive criticism about hawgs or make that truth !!

hawgrunner

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Basketball fan on December 21, 2017, 08:43:10 pm
I doubt jimmy even looks at these stupid posts from the likes of those that have never played a minute in a basketball game !! You need to move on flippinhogmana....I'm sure he has...espn much more well known than lady hawgs ball !! Quit being a hater...apparently you can dish it out but can't the constructive criticism about hawgs or make that truth !!

Let's keep it a little more calmed down Basketball Fan.  JD is gone.  Mn needs time.  I do remember many years ago when a Blair coached team lost at LSU by more than 30 or 40 points and turned around and beat that team later that year at home.  Let's see what we do with ASU next year when they play at our place.  We should also have Nebraska and Kansas at home next year.  That could show us the progress.