Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Rhoads is on Fire on the Recruting Front!

Started by FraggleHog, March 16, 2017, 08:35:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 16, 2017, 08:48:29 am
???

Kam Curl, Chevin Calloway, Byron Hanspard. Big time DB commits... Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific.

ricepig

Reggie Mitchell and Michael Smith are listed as his recruiters, fwiw.

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 08:54:44 am
Reggie Mitchell and Michael Smith are listed as his recruiters, fwiw.

Correct, however in Hanspard's recruitment tweet he tagged Rhoads and his position coach will be Rhoads.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: FraggleHog on March 16, 2017, 08:57:21 am
Correct, however in Hanspard's recruitment tweet he tagged Rhoads and his position coach will be Rhoads.

Hargreaves should be included too.

lumphog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 16, 2017, 11:22:06 am
Hargreaves should be included too.
That's good to hear......I'm pullin for Coach Hargreaves

rljjr

Quote from: lumphog on March 16, 2017, 12:57:00 pm
That's good to hear......I'm pullin for Coach Hargreaves

Hargreaves is a great coach and recruiter. He is wrongly maligned IMO.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: rljjr on March 16, 2017, 01:48:21 pm
Hargreaves is a great coach and recruiter. He is wrongly maligned IMO.

Seems a little much but we should all be pulling for him as long as he is the coach.  Him failing isn't good for the team or the fans. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: FraggleHog on March 16, 2017, 08:50:12 am
Kam Curl, Chevin Calloway, Byron Hanspard. Big time DB commits... Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific.
And don't forget Montaric Brown.he was one of the top S in the country.beat schools like Alabama and OU for him.

dqhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 02:39:47 pm
And don't forget Montaric Brown.he was one of the top S in the country.beat schools like Alabama and OU for him.
If it wasn't for Coach Rhoads at the U of A then Buster Brown wouldn't be here.  Apparently at least one other highly rated recruit said the same thing to Buster.  They really like him.

lumphog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 16, 2017, 02:21:35 pm
Seems a little much but we should all be pulling for him as long as he is the coach.  Him failing isn't good for the team or the fans. 
Agree, I think he's much a better coach than given credit on here

Pork Twain

Quote from: FraggleHog on March 16, 2017, 08:50:12 am
You would think it would not be needed, since this is the recruiting forum, you would hope people in here at least had an idea of how our recruiting has been going recently.  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SamBuckhart

WOOO PIG, to our hard working recruiters. GHG!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 02:39:47 pm
Damn, Joe. I have wanted this for decades. We almost got there with Batman and Lawrence Richardson and Marvin and those dudes. I WANT THE BEST SECONDARY in the SEC. Looks like we will be at least in the conversation. Even the "3rd best" would be so fun to have (LSU and Bama's secondaries are always so good).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 21, 2017, 01:49:18 pm
Damn, Joe. I have wanted this for decades. We almost got there with Batman and Lawrence Richardson and Marvin and those dudes. I WANT THE BEST SECONDARY in the SEC. Looks like we will be at least in the conversation. Even the "3rd best" would be so fun to have (LSU and Bama's secondaries are always so good).

Florida??

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 21, 2017, 04:33:51 pm
aren't they an east team?  are they even considered power 5?

If you can't win at a high level in the SEC with the talent that they have had at their disposal (at least that the NFL thinks they have had), you've got a major problem with coaching. So yeah, I'd say they qualify as P-5.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2017, 03:02:16 pm
Florida??
only b/c of Boom and he's gone. That secondary will come back down to Earth.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 21, 2017, 06:07:14 pm
only b/c of Boom and he's gone. That secondary will come back down to Earth.

We'll see. They have historically done really well. Them having a good secondary is like us having a good qb, te, or rb.

2016: first round safety and corner
2014: 4th round cb
2013: 1st and 6th round safeties
2012: 2nd round* (had to play his senior year elsewhere due to legal trouble)
2011:  5th round corner
2010: 1st round corner
2007: 1st round safety, 6th round cb

So, over the last 10 years, 5 first round picks, 1 2nd round, and four 4th round or later for a total of 10. Plus, Florida's secondary players have gone on to have more success than Bama's players which seem to underperform quite a bit in the NFL.

Looking at LSU which from my memory should be the undisputed DBU in the SEC
2016: 4th and 7th round CB
2015: 2nd round cb
2013: 1st round safety, 3rd round DB, 5th round cb
2012: 1st round CB, 3rd round S, 4th round cb
2011: 1st round CB
2010: 3rd round S
2009: 7th round S
2008: 3rd round CB, 4th round S,
2007: 1st round S

total of 4 first round picks, 5 2-3 round picks, and 6 4+th round picks for a total of 15. So, Florida has had a few more first round picks, but LSU has had much more depth.

Finally, Alabama:
2016: 2nd round cb
2015: 2nd round S
2014: 1st round S, 5th round S
2013: 1st round corner
2012: 1st round S and corner, 5th round corner
2010: 1st round corner, 2nd round dB, 7th round DB
2009: 3rd round cb
2008: *no selections whatsoever, which is crazy
2007: 7th round cb

total: 5 first round picks, 4 2-3 round picks, four 4+ round picks for a total of 13. Bama has been a bit more safety oriented than CB, particularly in the early rounds. More total picks than Florida, fewer than LSU.

None of Bama's picks by wikipedia have made the pro bowl, LSU has had 8 pro bowls and 5 all pros, Florida has had 5 pro bowl and 0 all pros.

Compare that to us, who have had 3 DB's drafted in the last 10 years, with 2 of them being 2007. However, if this recent class of DB's live up to half of their expectations, then we will have an embarrassment of riches in the secondary for several years to come.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pig in the Pokey

i mean, if we finish 4th behind those three schools it'll still be one of the greatest in school history.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 21, 2017, 08:34:42 pm
i mean, if we finish 4th behind those three schools it'll still be one of the greatest in school history.

No doubt, our recruiting has vastly improved in the secondary, hopefully it shows on the field.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2017, 08:36:09 pm
No doubt, our recruiting has vastly improved in the secondary, hopefully it shows on the field.
it's one of the more exciting things going on in Razorback Nation right now. Our recruiting in basketball and football has definitely picked it up a notch in the last year or so.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2017, 08:11:28 pm
We'll see. They have historically done really well. Them having a good secondary is like us having a good qb, te, or rb.

2016: first round safety and corner
2014: 4th round cb
2013: 1st and 6th round safeties
2012: 2nd round* (had to play his senior year elsewhere due to legal trouble)
2011:  5th round corner
2010: 1st round corner
2007: 1st round safety, 6th round cb

So, over the last 10 years, 5 first round picks, 1 2nd round, and four 4th round or later for a total of 10. Plus, Florida's secondary players have gone on to have more success than Bama's players which seem to underperform quite a bit in the NFL.

Looking at LSU which from my memory should be the undisputed DBU in the SEC
2016: 4th and 7th round CB
2015: 2nd round cb
2013: 1st round safety, 3rd round DB, 5th round cb
2012: 1st round CB, 3rd round S, 4th round cb
2011: 1st round CB
2010: 3rd round S
2009: 7th round S
2008: 3rd round CB, 4th round S,
2007: 1st round S

total of 4 first round picks, 5 2-3 round picks, and 6 4+th round picks for a total of 15. So, Florida has had a few more first round picks, but LSU has had much more depth.

Finally, Alabama:
2016: 2nd round cb
2015: 2nd round S
2014: 1st round S, 5th round S
2013: 1st round corner
2012: 1st round S and corner, 5th round corner
2010: 1st round corner, 2nd round dB, 7th round DB
2009: 3rd round cb
2008: *no selections whatsoever, which is crazy
2007: 7th round cb

total: 5 first round picks, 4 2-3 round picks, four 4+ round picks for a total of 13. Bama has been a bit more safety oriented than CB, particularly in the early rounds. More total picks than Florida, fewer than LSU.

None of Bama's picks by wikipedia have made the pro bowl, LSU has had 8 pro bowls and 5 all pros, Florida has had 5 pro bowl and 0 all pros.

Compare that to us, who have had 3 DB's drafted in the last 10 years, with 2 of them being 2007. However, if this recent class of DB's live up to half of their expectations, then we will have an embarrassment of riches in the secondary for several years to come.
Now if that doesn't show the talent disparity then I don't know what will. And people wonder why we struggled so much against the pass the last 10 years. 3 DBs drafted in last 10 years and these schools have 4 times that many plus many first rounders.  Good job Benny.  Thanks for the breakdown. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 21, 2017, 11:13:51 pm
Now if that doesn't show the talent disparity then I don't know what will. And people wonder why we struggled so much against the pass the last 10 years. 3 DBs drafted in last 10 years and these schools have 4 times that many plus many first rounders.  Good job Benny.  Thanks for the breakdown. 

I only count 2 DB's from the 2007 NFL Draft through the 2016 NFL Draft, but the point is still made. And the fact that we have only had 1 LB drafted from 2007-2016 (Martrell Spaight) is just another reason that has contributed to our lack of a better defense.

We are competitive with a team like Alabama in that we have had similar numbers of offensive personnel drafted from 2007-2016 (27-Ark, 28-Ala) but when you look at the defensive side of the ball, it is easy to see the difference (10-Ark, 30-Ala).

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/colleges/a
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2017, 06:01:16 am
I only count 2 DB's from the 2007 NFL Draft through the 2016 NFL Draft, but the point is still made. And the fact that we have only had 1 LB drafted from 2007-2016 (Martrell Spaight) is just another reason that has contributed to our lack of a better defense.

We are competitive with a team like Alabama in that we have had similar numbers of offensive personnel drafted from 2007-2016 (27-Ark, 28-Ala) but when you look at the defensive side of the ball, it is easy to see the difference (10-Ark, 30-Ala).

Chris Houston, Michael Coe, Tevin Mitchel. Coe transfered his senior year, but spent the vast majority of his playing career at Arkansas, so in the same way that I count Janoris Jenkins as a Florida product and Tyrann Mathieu as LSU, I count Coe as Arkansas.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2017, 06:01:16 am

That's because you teach offense but you recruit defense. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 22, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
Chris Houston, Michael Coe, Tevin Mitchel. Coe transfered his senior year, but spent the vast majority of his playing career at Arkansas, so in the same way that I count Janoris Jenkins as a Florida product and Tyrann Mathieu as LSU, I count Coe as Arkansas.

Wasn't aware you were doing that and yes, Coe and Jenkins did transfer for their Senior years. Mathieu on the other hand, never played for any other team but LSU. But yes, that makes sense now that I know how you were accounting for players. As I said above, your point was still made whether it has been 2 or 3.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

When was the last time we had a very good teacher/coach and also a very good recruiter?   If this is the case I see our first $1 million dollar assistant head coach.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 23, 2017, 08:05:19 am
Wasn't aware you were doing that and yes, Coe and Jenkins did transfer for their Senior years. Mathieu on the other hand, never played for any other team but LSU. But yes, that makes sense now that I know how you were accounting for players. As I said above, your point was still made whether it has been 2 or 3.

Whats your opinion on Collins adding to that list? Top 10 CB in terms of measurables. Not top 10 production, but led the SEC in breakups in 2014 and has been our best pure cover corner (including Pulley) since then. Do teams look at his potential at the next level (i.e. his pro day) and take into account how long he was having to cover the other team's receivers, or do you think he gets hurt by being on a team that gave up a lot of passing yards in general?