Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holiday Ham

Started by gijoejd, November 21, 2013, 01:01:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gijoejd

I figured I would share this here.  I smoked a ham last hear for Thanksgiving instead of doing a turkey.  It was amazing!  I am cooking on a Big Green Egg but I am sure you could adapt this recipe and instructions. 

Ingredients

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
Cherry and Apple Chunks

Maple-Bourbon Paste
2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
1 Tbls. Bourbon
1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbls. Paprika
1 Tbls. Onion Powder
2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Instructions

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it). Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid.

Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Notes
If cooking a large ham, or, two or more butts or shanks you can omit the raised grid if you're experiencing a "fit" problem and just cook on the regular grid.

DeltaBoy

I just get a Smithfield from the Owner and call it done. I get a sprial cut one and make a Brown sugar glaze for it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.