Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rewatched the LSU game

Started by Chief Mac, November 17, 2014, 07:35:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

I noticed Allen hitting his targets on game night.  LSU has a good secondary, so I'm sure it wasn't easy for our receivers, but the drops were not on Allen this time.  I'm sure the cold had a lot to do with the drops, because LSU's receivers couldn't catch anything, either.

There is something we saw again that I'd really like to see fixed, though.  Something's off with the timing on deep balls, because Allen's throw is ALWAYS late.  It's often said that he underthrows the ball, but the receivers have often stopped, and are waiting with db's on their back, before Allen's even let go of the ball.  When the snap is from under center, I can't tell that Allen is wasting any time getting rid of the ball, so I'm not sure it's his fault.  But I'm not a coach and only know enough to see that something's not right with the timing here.

Chief Mac

Quote from: redeye on November 18, 2014, 01:20:28 pm
I noticed Allen hitting his targets on game night.  LSU has a good secondary, so I'm sure it wasn't easy for our receivers, but the drops were not on Allen this time.  I'm sure the cold had a lot to do with the drops, because LSU's receivers couldn't catch anything, either.

There is something we saw again that I'd really like to see fixed, though.  Something's off with the timing on deep balls, because Allen's throw is ALWAYS late.  It's often said that he underthrows the ball, but the receivers have often stopped, and are waiting with db's on their back, before Allen's even let go of the ball.  When the snap is from under center, I can't tell that Allen is wasting any time getting rid of the ball, so I'm not sure it's his fault.  But I'm not a coach and only know enough to see that something's not right with the timing here.

I was surprised Morgan and Hollister dropped three very catchable balls.  Very unlike them
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 18, 2014, 02:44:49 pm
I was surprised Morgan and Hollister dropped three very catchable balls.  Very unlike them

It was very cold. Ball feels like a stone coming in at that temp. Still, you gotta catch those.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 18, 2014, 02:44:49 pm

The only one that really bothered me was the third down pass in the 3rd Q. Beautiful pass, good route, put it right where it needed to be, and dropped. One of those " oh crap here we go again moments ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Chief Mac

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 18, 2014, 03:01:53 pm
It was very cold. Ball feels like a stone coming in at that temp. Still, you gotta catch those.

I can understand and appreciate playing receiver in the cold (I did back in my day) but the gloves they have nowadays are WAAAY better than what I had.  As you said, gotta catch those
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2014, 03:17:16 pm
The only one that really bothered me was the third down pass in the 3rd Q. Beautiful pass, good route, put it right where it needed to be, and dropped. One of those " oh crap here we go again moments ".

That was Hollister wasn't it?  Bootleg right for BA and hit Hollister in the hands on the sideline?

elksnort

I believe Drew Morgan dropped one right in his hands on one play.

Wildhog

Quote from: elksnort on November 18, 2014, 05:01:08 pm
I believe Drew Morgan dropped one right in his hands on one play.

It was two wasn't it?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2014, 03:17:16 pm

Henry missed one in the endzone on the first drive.  I think the guy covering him blocked his view some, but it looked like the ball sailed right through his hands, so we settled for a FG.  I'm sure everyone was blaming Allen, but the ball was there.

elksnort

Quote from: Wildhog on November 18, 2014, 05:01:26 pm
It was two wasn't it?
Don't know. It was one too many.

I try not to 'bash' players. Not sure what 'bash' is in a quantitative sense.

But, some of our receivers should be playing in a lower tier of football. If you can't knock the top off of the defense with separation speed, then you darn well need to catch just about everything thrown to you.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wildhog on November 18, 2014, 05:01:26 pm
It was two wasn't it?

He dropped two and Hollister 1.....or vice versa. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 18, 2014, 05:32:28 pm
He dropped two and Hollister 1.....or vice versa. 

I thought Drew dropped two, Hollister dropped one, and Sprinkle dropped one.

Michael Smith needs to get these guys on a damn jugs machine.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: redeye on November 18, 2014, 05:02:53 pm
Henry missed one in the endzone on the first drive.  I think the guy covering him blocked his view some, but it looked like the ball sailed right through his hands, so we settled for a FG.  I'm sure everyone was blaming Allen, but the ball was there.

Haven't seen anyone blaming Allen for that one.  Was a tough catch, though.  The other drops in the game were easy catches.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wildhog on November 18, 2014, 05:37:18 pm
I thought Drew dropped two, Hollister dropped one, and Sprinkle dropped one.

Michael Smith needs to get these guys on a damn jugs machine.

I'm not overly impressed with the product on the field from Smith. The three areas I felt we were low in top talent going into the season where WR, LB, and DBs. Two of those three areas have improved exponentially. Jennings and Shannon are coaching some kids up.  Where's the improvement from Smith??

Wildhog

Look at Smith's history as a coach.

Coaching History
2013 -           Wide Receivers Coach   Arkansas
2009 - 2012   Running Backs Coach   Kansas State
2008 - 2008   Wide Receivers Coach   Arizona
2007 - 2007   Running Backs Coach   Arizona
2006 - 2006   Running Backs Coach   Rice
1997 - 2005   Running Backs Coach   Kansas State
1995 - 1996   Graduate Assistant   Kansas State

As far as I'm concerned, you can move him to RB coach and get rid of Thomas.  Bring in George McDonald as WR coach.  He's a stud recruiter in S Florida, and may not get another OC offer anytime soon.

Staff upgraded.  You're welcome, guys.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: Wildhog on November 18, 2014, 05:38:55 pm
Haven't seen anyone blaming Allen for that one.  Was a tough catch, though.  The other drops in the game were easy catches.

I blamed Allen for it at first and others were during the game thread, as well.  Then I looked at the replay and saw the ball go right through Henry's hands.  As I said, I think his view was blocked, so you could say it was a tough catch, but the ball was right there.

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on November 18, 2014, 06:52:22 pm
I blamed Allen for it at first and others were during the game thread, as well.  Then I looked at the replay and saw the ball go right through Henry's hands.  As I said, I think his view was blocked, so you could say it was a tough catch, but the ball was right there.

I agree, I believe his view was blocked, or partially blocked, he was late getting his hands up.

DeltaBoy

We got some breaks to go our way and the LSU QB is horrible !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.