Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early start time, bye week, and hot weather gives Hogs an edge

Started by The OTR, September 18, 2017, 08:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

I believe an early start time alway favors the visiting team.  Less time to sit around and good around waiting on the game.  It should be hot on Saturday and that usually works in our favor as well especially against an undisciplined coach and team such as a & m. 

The bye week gave our coaches extra time to prepare and game plan and work out some of the issues we had in the TCU game. 

I believe we win 37-23 and set the tone for he rest of the year.  As bad as some of the SEC teams have looked at time this year I think a lot of these games everyone has penciled in as a loss as toss ups and we may end up having a really good season. 

Of course one more thing could definitely give us an edge.  Not sure if some of you here could help with it or not.

Bubba's Bruisers

Have there ever been conditions that didn't favor the Hogs? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The OTR

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

The OTR

If some can get Johnny football to Dallas this week and get him a suite at the same hotel the Aggies are staying I think we will have another advantage. We just need to make sure his suite has a couple of cases of jack daniels, two kegs, and a a couple of grocery sacks full of black cat firecrackers and I'll guarantee half the team won't be worth a crap Saturday and Sumlin may not even wake up in time for the game. 

Some of you guys with more money than sense could make this happen if you put your minds to it.

MuskogeeHogFan

September 18, 2017, 08:23:18 pm #5 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:34:37 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 18, 2017, 08:02:15 pm
I believe an early start time alway favors the visiting team.  Less time to sit around and good around waiting on the game.  It should be hot on Saturday and that usually works in our favor as well especially against an undisciplined coach and team such as a & m. 

The bye week gave our coaches extra time to prepare and game plan and work out some of the issues we had in the TCU game. 

I believe we win 37-23 and set the tone for he rest of the year.  As bad as some of the SEC teams have looked at time this year I think a lot of these games everyone has penciled in as a loss as toss ups and we may end up having a really good season. 

Of course one more thing could definitely give us an edge.  Not sure if some of you here could help with it or not.

Before this season, even to some degree before last weekend, I saw this as being a 34-27 Arkansas win.

I love the Hogs and want to see them win but after last weekend and the poor offensive showing especially with regard to the passing game (and no, it wasn't the O-Line's fault), I'm not sure what to expect this coming weekend.

A&M is going to load the box, pass blitz and run blitz and dare us to throw with a bevy of young receivers who last weekend, couldn't seem to find a way to break off and bend routes to get open quickly. Has that changed in the span of one week? I certainly hope so. We have some very talented receivers but they are just young and inexperienced. Still, they are teachable.

You can't run effectively between the tackles when the other team is committed to 7 to 8 in the box and run blitzing into every gap. There are just too many people to block and they are going to make plays, which makes you appear to be inept or incapable when in truth, you will rarely spring big plays because they are winning the battle of numbers at the LOS.

But then when you can't hit quick slants off of play action to back off the LB's and Safety, well you are going to be very sluggish offensively. Does that sound like us last weekend?

Got news for you, no one, not a visiting team or the hosting team enjoy early games. It throws off your rhythm and normal progress of game day. I hated early games. Most players do. No advantage in that regard to either team.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 18, 2017, 08:03:58 pm
Have there ever been conditions that didn't favor the Hogs?

I recall something about the weather or an early start time favoring the Hogs over TCU

Martygit

The problem is that an 11:00 AM start time means that the break at halftime is also the lunch hour - if PB&J are on the lunch menu again at half, you might as well take A & M even though they're giving points  ::)
RIP OTR, REV

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Are you not worried about the pb&j sandwiches spoiling in that hot weather pillow? You need to investigate this a little more. This could be the cause of the second half let downs these last several games. I know some are going to say it was cooler weather in the mizzou and va tech games but there could've been a couple fat girls sticking those sandwiches lord knows anywhere to warm them up.  Might want to do a little digging there.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Hoggish1

This is what is the edge/  The rest of your post is BS

The OTR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2017, 08:23:18 pm
Before this season, even to some degree before last weekend, I saw this as being a 34-27 Arkansas win.

I love the Hogs and want to see them win but after last weekend and the poor offensive showing especially with regard to the passing game (and no, it wasn't the O-Line's fault), I'm not sure what to expect this coming weekend.

A&M is going to load the box, pass blitz and run blitz and dare us to throw with a bevy of young receivers who last weekend, couldn't seem to find a way to break off and bend routes to get open quickly. Has that changed in the span of one week? I certainly hope so. We have some very talented receivers but they are just young and inexperienced. Still, they are teachable.

You can't run effectively between the tackles when the other team is committed to 7 to 8 in the box and run blitzing into every gap. There are just too many people to block and they are going to make plays, which makes you appear to be inept or incapable when in truth, you will rarely spring big plays because they are winning the battle of numbers at the LOS.

But then when you can't hit quick slants off of play action to back off the LB's and Safety, well you are going to be very sluggish offensively. Does that sound like us last weekend?

Got news for you, no one, not a visiting team or the hosting team enjoy early games. It throws off your rhythm and normal progress of game day. I hated early games. Most players do. No advantage in that regard to either team.

Got news for you....an early start time levels the playing field for the visiting team.  The visiting team is always at a disadvantage due to travel and throwing everything off.  But in this case the early start time throws off the home team, or in this case the team with the least amount of travel time.  So in essence by both teams schedule and normal game day rhythm being thrown off it gives the visiting team an advantage by giving the home team the same disadvantage as the visiting team.

Hate to have to point that out as it should be clear as a bell but sometimes I just have to educate you guys and I don't mind doing it. I certainly have the time.

lstewart

The game is in Texas, but otherwise both teams are traveling. Both will be in hotels, so the early start time advantage does not apply to either team. It is hotter in College Station that Fayetteville, so high game time temps would favor the Aggies. Later in the season I would agree a week off to prepare would be an advantage. At this point in the season, and after the performance the Hogs had against TCU, I would say it is a disadvantage. The Aggies had another real game to work out their issues, while we just went back to the drawing board working against ourselves. We might beat the Aggies, but I don't see any of these factors as advantages to us.

yraciv

Quote from: lstewart on September 19, 2017, 08:33:25 am
The game is in Texas, but otherwise both teams are traveling. Both will be in hotels, so the early start time advantage does not apply to either team. It is hotter in College Station that Fayetteville, so high game time temps would favor the Aggies. Later in the season I would agree a week off to prepare would be an advantage. At this point in the season, and after the performance the Hogs had against TCU, I would say it is a disadvantage. The Aggies had another real game to work out their issues, while we just went back to the drawing board working against ourselves. We might beat the Aggies, but I don't see any of these factors as advantages to us.

This. We are coming off a bye. That is really the only minor advantage, and it might be countered out by the fact A&M played a great 2nd half of football last weekend.

HognotinMemphis

Both teams are visitors but I guess Ark moreso than is A&M. Dallas close to College Station. As for bye week helping Arkansas, we had 9 months to prep for TCU not including the extra days they had before TCU game due to playing 1st game on Thurs of week before.

Ark can certainly win this but Sumlin has Arkansas' number. And if Ark's coaches cannot figure out how to score in 2nd half, either on special teams or defense if not on offense, no way they can win vs A&M.

In any case, I do not see the Hogs holding A&M to 23. If we win, it will be because our offense gets untracked.Then it will be a race to the end of them game and see who scores last. If Arkansas wins, it will likely be a score along lines of 41-38. If A&M wins, the score could be similar to TCU game but A&M will not get half of their points in the last 2 min of the game. This game will be over by middle of 3rd Q with Arkansas scoring little to nothing and Aggies with 25+ points.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Redhogs

Isn't Jerry's World air conditioned and a constant 74 degrees.....seems i've heard that somewhere.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

razorcash2

Quote from: Redhogs on September 19, 2017, 08:47:25 am
Isn't Jerry's World air conditioned and a constant 74 degrees.....seems i've heard that somewhere.
This post is rather ignorant...just like it's predecessor two weeks ago.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

For all the newbies who thinks that Pillowhead is being serious, HE's NOT!

There is a history of posts on MMQB explaining why the weather will favor the Hogs and he's just playing off of that.  Some of you apparently don't recognize a silly post when you see one, so please for the love of everything that is good, stop posting why PHJ is wrong and just have some fun with this thread.

/rant

-phil

razoredge178

Yah that hot weather in Jerry World should favor us.

OP-- miss

hoghearted

since half time will be roughly at lunch time, I think BB should consider changing those pb&j sandwiches to pb&banana. More potassium to ward off any nasty cramps from the heat.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

PORKULATOR

The Pillow-headed Prognosticator...
I like it.. It sings.
Should be here every week, but more ridiculous.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Redhogs

Quote from: razorcash2 on September 19, 2017, 09:04:39 am
This post is rather ignorant...just like it's predecessor two weeks ago.
Piss off idiot....  https://www.tripadvisor.com › ... › Arlington - Things to Do › AT&T Stadium........Now you are on ignore where you belong.

The OTR

Quote from: Redhogs on September 19, 2017, 09:54:23 am
Piss off idiot....  https://www.tripadvisor.com › ... › Arlington - Things to Do › AT&T Stadium........Now you are on ignore where you belong.

Well now let's all just take a deep breath and simmer down.

There's lots of reasons we will win. Not the least of which is Johnny Football and Sumlin trying to drink a case of Jack Daniels by themselves and then running around the hotel lighting firecrackers and hollering around which will hopefully keep the players from getting a good night's sleep.

Some of you need to focus and get serious and quit messing around trying to argue in this thread.  This is the official Arkansas is gonna win thread and all the negative nellies can post their next coach at Arkansas posts and we're so bad this year it's ruining my life in other threads.  This one is all about talking UP the hogs instead of running them down.

Yes the hot weather will favor us because if it's really hot they will turn on the air conditioning and make it cool in there...cool temps = ADVANTAGE HOGS! 

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 08:45:42 am
Both teams are visitors but I guess Ark moreso than is A&M. Dallas close to College Station. As for bye week helping Arkansas, we had 9 months to prep for TCU not including the extra days they had before TCU game due to playing 1st game on Thurs of week before.

Ark can certainly win this but Sumlin has Arkansas' number. And if Ark's coaches cannot figure out how to score in 2nd half, either on special teams or defense if not on offense, no way they can win vs A&M.

In any case, I do not see the Hogs holding A&M to 23. If we win, it will be because our offense gets untracked.Then it will be a race to the end of them game and see who scores last. If Arkansas wins, it will likely be a score along lines of 41-38. If A&M wins, the score could be similar to TCU game but A&M will not get half of their points in the last 2 min of the game. This game will be over by middle of 3rd Q with Arkansas scoring little to nothing and Aggies with 25+ points.

I respectfully disagree. This A&M team is not as good as TCU. If the Hogs offense gets on track, stays there, and manages to keep the Hog defense rested, A&M will find it difficult to score points.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jst01

Aren't the Hogs the home team this year?  Does that mean they get to use the home Cowboy locker room?? That would have to be a big advantage. I bet Jerry has hot tubs in front of each locker and the toilets are probably made of polished marble as opposed to the visitor locker rooms that have those weird toilets with the wood toilet seat and the carpeted toilet seat cover. Huge advantage.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 19, 2017, 10:43:10 am
Yes the hot weather will favor us because if it's really hot they will turn on the air conditioning and make it cool in there...cool temps = ADVANTAGE HOGS!

Eternal optimist.  I like it.  No way we can lose because the conditions favor the hogs, no matter what they are.  WPS!

-phil

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 10:57:15 am
I respectfully disagree. This A&M team is not as good as TCU. If the Hogs offense gets on track, stays there, and manages to keep the Hog defense rested, A&M will find it difficult to score points.

I think this A&M team is more TALENTED than TCU but have not been able to put it together. It would be our luck that this is the week that they play good for 4 qtrs....but I hope not. I say the Hogs win

Sumlin is not good at 11am - he's better later in the day when he's got a solid buzz going
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MJ2

Sumlin and CBB are good friends.   They're both racing to huge buyouts.  Probably have a side bet on who gets theirs first.

twistitup

Quote from: MJ2 on September 19, 2017, 11:04:15 am
Sumlin and CBB are good friends.   They're both racing to huge buyouts.  Probably have a side bet on who gets theirs first.

They will meet for a drink after the game - no doubt. I bet they both drink single malt scotch

jst01

Quote from: twistitup on September 19, 2017, 11:10:11 am
They will meet for a drink after the game - no doubt. I bet they both drink single malt scotch

BB likes the vodka. I tended bar on Dickson his first year here, I personally poured him 4 double Goose & sodas one evening in about an hour...and my pours were closer to triples. Dude can toss them back.

PonderinHog

No, Jerry had to choose between paying the utility bill and buying us them there new unis.  Please try to keep up.

Redhogs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 19, 2017, 10:43:10 am
Well now let's all just take a deep breath and simmer down.

There's lots of reasons we will win. Not the least of which is Johnny Football and Sumlin trying to drink a case of Jack Daniels by themselves and then running around the hotel lighting firecrackers and hollering around which will hopefully keep the players from getting a good night's sleep.

Some of you need to focus and get serious and quit messing around trying to argue in this thread.  This is the official Arkansas is gonna win thread and all the negative nellies can post their next coach at Arkansas posts and we're so bad this year it's ruining my life in other threads.  This one is all about talking UP the hogs instead of running them down.

You should have addressed this to the idiot the called me out for posting that ATT had a/c, which of course it does...and you don't need to tell me or anyone else what we should address.

twistitup

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 11:13:11 am
BB likes the vodka. I tended bar on Dickson his first year here, I personally poured him 4 double Goose & sodas one evening in about an hour...and my pours were closer to triples. Dude can toss them back.

Wow, sounds about right- he is a big dude. I be he's so stressed in year 5 that intake has increased even more. I personally don't mind...Drink all you want coach - just mix it with some wins.

Boardon Hamsay

September 19, 2017, 12:47:55 pm #33 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:00:17 pm by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 19, 2017, 08:19:48 am
Got news for you....an early start time levels the playing field for the visiting team.  The visiting team is always at a disadvantage due to travel and throwing everything off.  But in this case the early start time throws off the home team, or in this case the team with the least amount of travel time.  So in essence by both teams schedule and normal game day rhythm being thrown off it gives the visiting team an advantage by giving the home team the same disadvantage as the visiting team.

Hate to have to point that out as it should be clear as a bell but sometimes I just have to educate you guys and I don't mind doing it. I certainly have the time.

Well said. Have to agree with this and everything in the OP.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

DeltaBoy

I hope so I want to wear my Hog Hat to work on Monday.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

007 License To Squeal

1.  Early start time makes no difference when neither school is playing on campus.
2.  Bye weeks help only when there are injuries...imo
3.  It's hotter in Texas than NW Ark.......believe me.

just my opinion.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

The OTR

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 19, 2017, 12:53:09 pm
1.  Early start time makes no difference when neither school is playing on campus.
2.  Bye weeks help only when there are injuries...imo
3.  It's hotter in Texas than NW Ark.......believe me.

just my opinion.

1.  Nope.  Sumlin is used to sleeping it off on game day. No way he's going to be alert or ready to coach especially if he gets together with Johnny.  CBB is used to getting up early on game day, firing up the John Deere, icing down the falstaff, and mowing the yard the better part of the morning. Advantage Arkansas just on coaches being prepared alone.

2.  Bye weeks help when you lose a game and all you've had to do is get on hogville and read about how terrible you are.  Gives them extra motivation to show some of you numskulls that you're wrong.  Advantage Arkansas

3.  That is very debatable.  I'd like to see your data if you don't mind.  At best I'll call this a push until you can give me something more than just your opinion, which is wrong in at least two our of three of your arguments. 

hoghearted

I still say we should substitute bananas for jelly in those peanut butter sammiches
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

The OTR

Rudy Baylor

is your avatar at Harps or Neighborhood Market?

ghostzapper

Based on nothing other than flawed recollection, haven't Hogs performed well at this time slot under Bielema?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The OTR

Quote from: ghostzapper on September 19, 2017, 08:07:04 pm
Based on nothing other than flawed recollection, haven't Hogs performed well at this time slot under Bielema?

You are correct.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pigsknuckles

Yeah, maybe the OP was thinking about the wind.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BroyledNutts

We never play well in early start time games.
Brett is 3-3 in bye week games.
Stadium is air conditioned.
Add to that the past few years A&M fans have dominated attendance (May not be the case this year, though)

See nothing that favors the Hogs.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The OTR

September 20, 2017, 08:42:01 pm #47 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:23:41 pm by Pillowhead Jackson
Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 20, 2017, 07:48:56 pm
Any updates on this critical game factor, Pillow?

No.  License to squeal comes in here and gives his half baked opinion and disappears. 

I've never seen so much bellyaching and so many people giving up on this season.  I think we're gonna win a bunch of games started my Saturday. 

Just about the time everybody simmers down some nut case posts another article or another statement from some internet or tv windbag and fans the flames in here.

Anyone who posts in this thread needs to talk up the hogs and quit messing around with talking about how bad we are.

PonderinHog

I'm gonna overlook our performance in our last three P5 games and call those Hogs!

WPS

PonderinHog