Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overtime with Matt Jones

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, July 24, 2017, 01:42:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

July 24, 2017, 01:42:32 pm Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:40:14 pm by Boss Hog in the Arkansas
The little rock radio show with Matt Jones and Trey Schaap ended about this time last year. It was replaced with a show called "Out of Bounds" with Big Dave and Sully. To those who still listen to 103.7 the buzz, what do you think of the new show after a year? Is it a step ahead of its predecessor or about the same?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Peter Porker

wow! It amazes me to find folks that listen to that station.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jmb1973

I think its total crap. Sully is an ignorant twit who just talks over people to try and make any trivial point and then cries like a schoolgirl when he doesn't get his way. I honestly feel sorry for Dave who has to share the show with him. I listened to a 20 minute argument the other day about Coach B's "pass" for this this year. It was the last time I will listen to that garbage. I wanted to punch the radio.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 24, 2017, 01:42:32 pm
The little rock radio show with Matt Jones and Trey Schaap ended about this time last year. It was replaced with a show called "Out of Bounds" with Big Dave and Sully. To those who still listen to 103.7 the buzz, what do you think of the new show after a year? Is it a step ahead of its predecessor or about the same?

I've tried to listen to it, it is abysmal.  It fit's right in with the show with no name which is a waste of space on a sports talk station and the crap you get in the evenings which is actually drive time sports. 

Big Dave and Sully have agenda's it appears

sowmonella

The show is two guys talking over the top of each other trying to be the funniest one. Dave is the worst. Just bad radio.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Seebs

I listen to it sometimes when commercials come on Bo's show. I almost invariably switch back to listening to the commercials.

Did you know that there are now more than 60 Slim Chickens locations across the US? Did you know it all started in Fayetteville?

Proof I listen to the commercials.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sowmonella on July 24, 2017, 02:06:31 pm
The show is two guys talking over the top of each other trying to be the funniest one. Dave is the worst. Just bad radio.

Which is exactly what 103.7 management just loves, look at their flagship shows.

AirWarren

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on July 24, 2017, 02:41:42 pm
its horrible

just like all other shows that take callers. The shows are only as good as the callers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on July 24, 2017, 02:48:57 pm
just like all other shows that take callers. The shows are only as good as the callers.
I dont particulary care for any of them But at least DTS talks about the razorbacks. The other 3 shows barely do. I live in arkansas, i want to talk about the hogs. I dont care about any other school. I dont wanna hear about em
WPS!!!

EastexHawg

pigture perfect

I don't care for that show particularly. I am one of those shameful DTS fans though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on July 24, 2017, 03:29:42 pm
I dont particulary care for any of them But at least DTS talks about the razorbacks. The other 3 shows barely do. I live in arkansas, i want to talk about the hogs. I dont care about any other school. I dont wanna hear about em

But really all that needs to be said most days can be done in 10 mins. I mean how many times do I need to hear jimbobscallywag call up, stumble through 45 andums, 25 ya knows, and 15 im just sayings before he gets around to whatever point he was trying to make, then ending with Go Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: AP85 on July 24, 2017, 02:16:16 pm
Another original thread.

Another DA response from the peanut gallery too.

Andrew Hogfan

I agree most callers are irritating. But, still, all i want to hear about is the hogs
WPS!!!

Wildhog

Haven't listened to the Buzz in ages
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sed76

Last time I regularly listened to Drive Time was in 2003. I recently turned it on and 14 years later it is exactly the same. Format, music and most of the same callers.

hogsanity

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on July 24, 2017, 03:43:09 pm
I agree most callers are irritating. But, still, all i want to hear about is the hogs

The listen to the 1st 10 minutes. ANYTHING Hog related that's newsworthy will be the headline.

AirWarren

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 24, 2017, 03:40:30 pm
Another DA response from the peanut gallery too.

You're so cool.

ifghog

I enjoy all the shows. You guys take yourselves way to serious. Lol. I have no vested interest...just get a kick out of them...

AirWarren

Quote from: ifghog on July 24, 2017, 04:37:03 pm
I enjoy all the shows. You guys take yourselves way to serious. Lol. I have no vested interest...just get a kick out of them...

That's what I'm saying. My gosh, lighten up.

No one wants to hear how we lost perry, lost to mizzou, Hokies, and why/why not bielema is on the hot seat 24/7 365. How much "razorback news" can there be in a day. None!

Bleacher report gives more than that bonehead bo mattingly.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

My bad guys, the show was overtime
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Potosihog

I try to listen to all of the shows from time to time.  I find it difficult to do in the off season.

onebadrubi

The morning show all they do is talk over each other and sometimes their informative guest.  They actually attract good guest at times and when they have something valuable to say, they just talk over them. 

Overtime isn't much better except they just talk over each other.

razorcash2

Does anybody know what Matt Jones is up to after leaving The Buzz?

Hope he is well...

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 24, 2017, 01:42:32 pm
I commented on this after a few weeks of the new show last year.
Those comments were: Dave and Sully are sharp and know sports well. No complaint there. They're Arkies, so that's good. They know the state and the Hogs. My pet peeve was they talk too much...talking over each other, around each other, on top of each other. No one ever shuts up. Joe is another good voice, and I like his take on things most of the time. But that's a third voice in the ring. But at least he doesn't interrupt the others.
To me, the best shows have a 'ying and yang' give and take, similar to a play-by-play man and a color commentator. They take turns talking. The PBP guy will drive the broadcast and setup the color guy. The previous show, yea Matt would seem like he just woke up sometimes, but he had good comments and obviously a Hog legend. But in one sense that show was better as Trey Schapp would direct traffic and Matt would make his comments, or Joe. ONE PERSON TALKED AT A TIME and they didn't seem to be always trying to out-cute the other.
Listening to all the non-stop blather on the new show is really annoying. I still listen sometimes at lunch, but I can't say it's pleasing to the ear all the time.

Uncle Remus

I actually think the show is an improvement.  I loved Matt Jones as a player, but the radio thing just did not suit him.  With he and Schaap, you had two low energy guys who would rock you to sleep each afternoon.  You could tell that Matt was not real motivated to get the radio profession down as it really didn't suit his personality.  He struggled with commercials and other tasks that the job demanded and I commend him for stepping away and saying it just wasn't for him.  While Schaap is a good sidekick or a fact checker, he just was too dull and didn't carry the host job very well.

Big Dave and Sully are both made for radio.  They have energy, charisma, and the ability to cover more than just local and statewide sports.  I think they fit the spot well and have brought much more to the table than did their predecessors.  They are loud, they are boisterous, but they are good at their jobs.  Give them a listen if you haven't...they made the afternoon spot much better IMO.

Mike Irwin

Create a Hogville post on Arkansas sports radio shows:

(name of host) and (name of host) really (a) suck (b) stink (c) bite butt) on (name of show). They (a) talk over each other (b) talk too much about themselves (c) laugh at their own jokes plus they (a) don't know crap (b) must be smokin' dope (c) are clearly drunk.

Listening to them makes me want to (a) puke (b) shoot myself in the head (c) trash my (1-a) radio (1-b) computer with a baseball bat. I can't figure out why they are still on the air. The people who listen to that show must be (a) brain dead (b) complete jackasses (c) Gus Malzahn fans.

I stopped listening to that show (a) last year (b) after their first show (c) before I was born.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Uncle Remus on July 25, 2017, 01:02:13 pm
I actually think the show is an improvement.  I loved Matt Jones as a player, but the radio thing just did not suit him.  With he and Schaap, you had two low energy guys who would rock you to sleep each afternoon.  You could tell that Matt was not real motivated to get the radio profession down as it really didn't suit his personality.  He struggled with commercials and other tasks that the job demanded and I commend him for stepping away and saying it just wasn't for him.  While Schaap is a good sidekick or a fact checker, he just was too dull and didn't carry the host job very well.

Big Dave and Sully are both made for radio.  They have energy, charisma, and the ability to cover more than just local and statewide sports.  I think they fit the spot well and have brought much more to the table than did their predecessors.  They are loud, they are boisterous, but they are good at their jobs.  Give them a listen if you haven't...they made the afternoon spot much better IMO.
The funniest Matt Jones moment was a time Dave Van Horn was a guest two years ago. Matt was trying to ask a question about a certain player who had won the NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR award...and couldn't recall his name! He was saying 'what's his name--'. Van Horn even had a chuckle and they finally just said the name. 'You mean Andrew Benintendi'.

Yea, Matt wasn't exactly doing a lot of preparation. But then at other times he would offer some neat insights, opinions, background, and recollection that only a guy like him could give. All in all, I had no troubles listening to him on the air. After all, he was Matt Jones.

AirWarren

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 25, 2017, 03:11:19 pm

(name of host) and (name of host) really (a) suck (b) stink (c) bite butt) on (name of show). They (a) talk over each other (b) talk too much about themselves (c) laugh at their own jokes plus they (a) don't know crap (b) must be smokin' dope (c) are clearly drunk.

Listening to them makes me want to (a) puke (b) shoot myself in the head (c) trash my (1-a) radio (1-b) computer with a baseball bat. I can't figure out why they are still on the air. The people who listen to that show must be (a) brain dead (b) complete jackasses (c) Gus Malzahn fans.

I stopped listening to that show (a) last year (b) after their first show (c) before I was born.

Yet, those same people are faithful hogville readers who come here for all the "great news". It's madness I tell you!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Oh my Lawd.!? That's a big ol bowl of trooffffffffffffff.!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LRHawg

Matt was great during hoops/NBA season. Great insight. The bad moments from him were balanced out by the info/stories only he would have.

sowmonella

Is this a joke? All of the answers are obviously C.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Uncle Remus on July 25, 2017, 01:02:13 pm

I originally felt this way about their show but over time (no pun intended) I realized their show is just a 3 hour pissing contest. Just yesterday danny west was on to talk about recruiting. These two went on a tangent talking over danny for most of his segment. It was disrespectful and hard to keep listening to. Overtime definitely had its slow days, but when they were on their stuff jones and schaap were a baaaaad combo. Personally I would like to see joe franklin get a show soon. He's always shown himself to be knowledgeable on a variety of topics and hes repectful to everyone

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 26, 2017, 09:26:30 pm
I originally felt this way about their show but over time (no pun intended) I realized their show is just a 3 hour pissing contest. Just yesterday danny west was on to talk about recruiting. These two went on a tangent talking over danny for most of his segment. It was disrespectful and hard to keep listening to. Overtime definitely had its slow days, but when they were on their stuff jones and schaap were a baaaaad combo. Personally I would like to see joe franklin get a show soon. He's always shown himself to be knowledgeable on a variety of topics and hes repectful to everyone
Joe clearly knows his stuff. He's knowledgeable on a lot of topics and it seems he watches everything on TV, because he knows something about it.
And I find myself agreeing with most everything he says. He's a 'voice of reason'.
However he's probably not radio friendly enough to host his own show. Truthfully, you need a 'talker' to drive the show, and a more low-key guy like Joe to be the sidekick. You can't have two talkers or two low-key guys. Balance is what works. Dave and Sully are both talkers and that's the problem.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 27, 2017, 12:37:32 pm
Joe clearly knows his stuff. He's knowledgeable on a lot of topics and it seems he watches everything on TV, because he knows something about it.
And I find myself agreeing with most everything he says. He's a 'voice of reason'.
However he's probably not radio friendly enough to host his own show. Truthfully, you need a 'talker' to drive the show, and a more low-key guy like Joe to be the sidekick. You can't have two talkers or two low-key guys. Balance is what works. Dave and Sully are both talkers and that's the problem.
agreed 100%

Hawgndaaz

I wish we could have a combo of Mike, Acri, Pat, Vickery, and Bo throughout the day. I wouldn't ever change the station. Brains, experience, humor, and talent.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 27, 2017, 01:01:12 pm
I wish we could have a combo of Mike, Acri, Pat, Vickery, and Bo throughout the day. I wouldn't ever change the station. Brains, experience, humor, and talent.

I wish more like mike were on too.  More actual info and history than fluff. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

sprinkle in a little rainwater in there too. A lot of people don't care for him, but he's been around for a long time and knows his stuff

hawganatic

Quote from: sowmonella on July 24, 2017, 02:06:31 pm

With the exception of Bo Mattingly, this pretty much describes every local sports talk show in the state.   

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 27, 2017, 01:15:27 pm
sprinkle in a little rainwater in there too. A lot of people don't care for him, but he's been around for a long time and knows his stuff

Disagree with that about Randy 100%. I hop over there after 5 to listen to the daily hog update. Randy seems like he's reading straight off  news articles with little to no research. Doesn't bring anything compelling, like, ever.

HognitiveDissonance

Rainwater is the local version of Yogi Berra, with a history of famous malapropos. I have a print-out that is hilarious.
Such as: "Write down this number: Colonel Glenn Road"
Or: "Darrell Walker, originally from Chicago, but now an Arkansas native."
Or: "Springdale defeated Van Buren 10-9 in a heartburner."

But, I will listen to him anytime. I know he's a good guy. He's not a smart aleck. He's not trying to be cute. He's an Arkie. He knows the Hogs. He lets people talk, which is refreshing, compared to most radio hosts who lets a caller speak two sentences before cutting them off, or brow-beating, or correcting them.

hobhog

That's funny right there.......

LRrazorback

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 27, 2017, 02:53:55 pm
Rainwater is the local version of Yogi Berra, with a history of famous malapropos. I have a print-out that is hilarious.

But, I will listen to him anytime. I know he's a good guy. He's not a smart aleck. He's not trying to be cute. He's an Arkie. He knows the Hogs. He lets people talk, which is refreshing, compared to most radio hosts who lets a caller speak two sentences before cutting them off, or brow-beating, or correcting them.

The best was him reading an email from a "fictitious " name that had the first name "Jack". Trey Biddy struggled to stay on with the original question.  It's on YouTube.  Hilarious

Hog_Swanson

And this is why I love having you around.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 27, 2017, 02:53:55 pm

Yep. He is who he is and doesnt try to be anything else. I can appreciate the realness

Rocket23

Dave is horrid at sports.  Just terrible. Sully can be knowledgeable, but he is so in love with himself.

Randy does ZERO show prep.  It shows!!!

East Clintwood

. . . and 17,842 commercials.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 27, 2017, 01:15:27 pm

You high?  The guy can't remember crap about the hogs, mid season can't pronounce starters names, and just is awful on air.  He is so dumb he didn't even understand when he got trolled on air by Jack Me off from
Blah blah Arkansas with a question.