Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate Alabama

Started by Wayne Watson, May 27, 2017, 03:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

Quote from: LZH on May 29, 2017, 12:52:04 pm
I think a lot of people like or dislike a team for how many games they win versus their own home team. And, people who don't normally go to games are probably more apt to dislike the better teams in our conference just because they beat us more often than not, as opposed to those who do go to games and dislike a team due to how that team's fans treat them/us (ie the Baton Rouge thread).

Admittedly I like Alabama because of Bear, so pulling for them all but one weekend of the year is just how it's been for me since I was a kid. As for other teams in our conference, even though I agreed with someone who said they hate so and so, I'm not sure I hate those teams as much as I enjoy seeing some of them fail miserably. A lot of that probably has to do with the enormously insufferable peckerheads that they have for a fan base.
I don't understand Arkansas people liking Bear Bryant. Yes he's from there but turned his back as a player and a coach on the natural state.

The Boar War

What is the reasoning for those who hate Texas but don't understand the hate for Alabama?  I was alive for and remember the last years of the SWC.  Texas was down during that time but most of the complaints about Texas are the arrogance, the privileged calls on the field and preferential treatment off of it, the excess of resources, and the ability to break the rules with impunity.

Doesn't Alabama do this in spades?  Bama fans (even the ones I like outside of football) are insufferable when it comes to talking about Saban and his process.  Oh and they always know just how to fix your team. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 29, 2017, 07:11:31 pm
I don't understand Arkansas people liking Bear Bryant. Yes he's from there but turned his back as a player and a coach on the natural state.

Actually, we were poised to hire Bryant and then a little thing called Pearl Harbor happened and everything got scuttled.  It could be viewed that we turned our back on him first.

Birminghog

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 29, 2017, 07:06:29 pm
I have never met a fan of ATM, Baylor, SMU or Tech tht did nything less than HATE Texas. And I know a TON of them and work with many. So not sure where you found these lovers of the horns.

I lived there. Have you? You may have known a ton. I have lived with many, many more. Many of them hated Texas UNTIL they played Arkansas, then it was a Texas thing. You can believe it or not, but that's how it was.

Birminghog

Quote from: The Boar War on May 29, 2017, 09:46:02 pm
What is the reasoning for those who hate Texas but don't understand the hate for Alabama?  I was alive for and remember the last years of the SWC.  Texas was down during that time but most of the complaints about Texas are the arrogance, the privileged calls on the field and preferential treatment off of it, the excess of resources, and the ability to break the rules with impunity.

Doesn't Alabama do this in spades?  Bama fans (even the ones I like outside of football) are insufferable when it comes to talking about Saban and his process.  Oh and they always know just how to fix your team.

About a week after I moved from Texas to Alabama, my wife took a car to the shop. The mechanics knew she was a new customer, and they asked her "Are you for Alabama or Auburn?". She said, "I'm for Arkansas." They seemed perfectly satisfied with that, and no more was said. That has been our experience, about 99% of the time, since we have lived in Alabama. The only time we have caught any grief is the week of a game - sometimes. Usually the encounter is very friendly. I live two doors down from an Auburn fan who goes to every Auburn home game and tailgates extensively. I have friends who drive RVs to Auburn or Alabama games. There is no general, widespread disdain of Arkansas. Most, especially Bama fans, like our style of play and think that we do things the right way.

In Texas, it was not that way. A previous post of mine explains my experience with fans inside the state of Texas. Teams within that state might hate one another, but when their rival played Arkansas, they rooted for the rival, because the rival was from a school within the state of Texas.

My experience in Birmingham is that if Bama fans hate another team, it's Auburn, Tennessee, or both. For Auburn fans, it's Alabama, although they don't like Tennessee, either. My Mississippi State friends here dislike Ole Miss, but that's about it. Everybody wants to beat Bama, but if somebody else were on top, they would want to beat them. Ole Miss is pretty widely disliked right now because of the shadiness of the program.

Everybody wants to defend their own. One of the true face-palm bumper stickers I saw during the aftermath of Auburn paying players and Wimp Sanderson hitting his secretary was on an Auburn fan's car. It read, "At Auburn, we may pay our players, but we don't beat our women." Are you kidding me? You can't do better than that?

Hog fans have long-standing, established reasons to hate Texas. A lot of that was a reaction to hatred sent our way. There's simply not the vitriol from Bama fans for us to push back against.

LZH

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 29, 2017, 07:11:31 pm

He was my great uncle.....

jkstock04

Quote from: Birminghog on May 29, 2017, 10:42:47 pm
About a week after I moved from Texas to Alabama, my wife took a car to the shop. The mechanics knew she was a new customer, and they asked her "Are you for Alabama or Auburn?". She said, "I'm for Arkansas." They seemed perfectly satisfied with that, and no more was said. That has been our experience, about 99% of the time, since we have lived in Alabama. The only time we have caught any grief is the week of a game - sometimes. Usually the encounter is very friendly. I live two doors down from an Auburn fan who goes to every Auburn home game and tailgates extensively. I have friends who drive RVs to Auburn or Alabama games. There is no general, widespread disdain of Arkansas. Most, especially Bama fans, like our style of play and think that we do things the right way.

In Texas, it was not that way. A previous post of mine explains my experience with fans inside the state of Texas. Teams within that state might hate one another, but when their rival played Arkansas, they rooted for the rival, because the rival was from a school within the state of Texas.

My experience in Birmingham is that if Bama fans hate another team, it's Auburn, Tennessee, or both. For Auburn fans, it's Alabama, although they don't like Tennessee, either. My Mississippi State friends here dislike Ole Miss, but that's about it. Everybody wants to beat Bama, but if somebody else were on top, they would want to beat them. Ole Miss is pretty widely disliked right now because of the shadiness of the program.

Everybody wants to defend their own. One of the true face-palm bumper stickers I saw during the aftermath of Auburn paying players and Wimp Sanderson hitting his secretary was on an Auburn fan's car. It read, "At Auburn, we may pay our players, but we don't beat our women." Are you kidding me? You can't do better than that?

Hog fans have long-standing, established reasons to hate Texas. A lot of that was a reaction to hatred sent our way. There's simply not the vitriol from Bama fans for us to push back against.
It's because they enjoy whipping us each and every season and we take it with a smile and pat on the head. This post is the epitome of what I'm talking about with our fans culture. As a whole, Hog fans envy Bama and turn a head the other way to them paying players. But Ole Miss is disliked because of "shadiness of the program."

Let's think about this a second. "Most Bama fans like our style of play and think we do it the right way." This makes me want to puke. That's about as cliche of a statement as you can get. They like us because they beat us each and every year and we don't challenge them. If we challenged them this would be a different story. Im gonna assume they extremely dislike Ole Miss...funny how that works.

Isn't it interesting that disliked or hated coaches are usually almost always the ones that are experiencing successl? Funny how that works too. Once again, I don't get the Bama worship among our fans.

On another note, the Bear Bryant to coach Arkansas football has been proven urban legend/myth. It's a really cool story, but it's not true. The timeline of it doesn't add up...someone on Hogville proved this a few years back.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Birminghog

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 30, 2017, 02:15:38 am
It's because they enjoy whipping us each and every season and we take it with a smile and pat on the head. This post is the epitome of what I'm talking about with our fans culture. As a whole, Hog fans envy Bama and turn a head the other way to them paying players. But Ole Miss is disliked because of "shadiness of the program."

Let's think about this a second. "Most Bama fans like our style of play and think we do it the right way." This makes me want to puke. That's about as cliche of a statement as you can get. They like us because they beat us each and every year and we don't challenge them. If we challenged them this would be a different story. Im gonna assume they extremely dislike Ole Miss...funny how that works.

Isn't it interesting that disliked or hated coaches are usually almost always the ones that are experiencing successl? Funny how that works too. Once again, I don't get the Bama worship among our fans.

On another note, the Bear Bryant to coach Arkansas football has been proven urban legend/myth. It's a really cool story, but it's not true. The timeline of it doesn't add up...someone on Hogville proved this a few years back.

I'm not likely to convince you, so I won't try. However, they don't hate us in baseball, and we beat them pretty consistently. On the contrary, they are frustrated with their team and hope to beat us when they can. They don't hate us in basketball, or track, or anything else we beat them in, as far as I can tell. They don't seem to hate Ole Miss. For nearly all of them, it's Auburn, Tennessee, or both.

You and others say that they pay players. Outside of what seems like an inordinate affinity among their players for Dodges, I don't see it. OM's indiscretions are blatant and public. I was in Birmingham when both Bama and Auburn were hit for violations. I deplore cheating by anyone at any level. We seem to be doing things the right way, and I'm very proud of that.

I am not a Bama apologist; "worship" is beyond hyperbolic. I tend to root for them when they are playing anybody but us because my wife's doctorate is from there and my daughter is a student there. However, everyone who knows me knows that when the chips are down, a good Hog always roots.

I don't like losing to anybody, Bama or anybody else. If they or anybody else, even us, are shown to be dirty, I will decry that with no hesitation. If a team's fans are the part of the horse that goes over the fence last or if they show some sort of irrational disdain for us, I'm likely to reciprocate. However, I'm not going to dislike someone out of envy of their success. I know a lot of people who make more money than I, and I don't dislike them as long as they come about it honestly.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 28, 2017, 01:36:52 pm
Coming from a Vol fan, that's _________________________.

(fill in the blank time....)

a "courtesy call"
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 28, 2017, 01:40:49 pm
This is hilarious and the epitome of what he is talking about. They cheat the smartest and most professionally, so the rest of the SEC and college football turns their heads the other way and pay "respect." Ole miss try's to get out of the cellar a little bit and all hell breaks loose.

Allvol is right. It never ceases to amaze me how Hog fans cheer on Alabama to national championships every year.

I actually don't believe Alabama has to cheat that much. Maybe they cheated there way to the top but I'd wager they have reached and passed the tipping point at which the sustained success and national stature is such a great selling point that they many great recruits believe that they need Bama more than Bama needs them.

See also: Kentucky's basketball coach/program and the myth that it is Coach Cal that is putting his players in the NVA and not their own talent and elite athletic abilities
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.