Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hammonds staying at receiver.

Started by PorkRinds, May 22, 2017, 02:49:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/22/hammonds-to-stay-at-receiver-despite-ba/

I know there had been some discussion about TJ playing TB after the Williams injury it CBB plans to leave him at WR. He did say he may line up out of the backfield a bit but will mostly be at WR. They must feel ok about RB.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2017, 02:49:42 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/22/hammonds-to-stay-at-receiver-despite-ba/

I know there had been some discussion about TJ playing TB after the Williams injury it CBB plans to leave him at WR. He did say he may line up out of the backfield a bit but will mostly be at WR. They must feel ok about RB.

Well, 10 carries a game would be more than Whaley averaged last year.

"I thought we might get him five or six carries at running back before Rawleigh was hurt," Enos said. "We were always going to use T. J. some at running back. And, we are still going to use T. J. in the slot. It just fits his abilities, his elusiveness. We want to get him the ball in the open field from the slot. But now, we probably will expand his role as a running back, maybe eight to 10 carries."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/22/hogs-wont-be-game-day-locker-room-2017/

Pigsknuckles

Yeah, sucks for RWIII, but I think we're OK. According to another thread we have a pretty fungible backfield.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

RazorWest

Much like when Kiero Small got moved to Line backer, I fear this may be more of a negative on our WR corp as opposed to a positive on our RB crew.  I'm a pessimist though

PorkSoda

Quote from: RazorWest on May 22, 2017, 03:40:55 pm
Much like when Kiero Small got moved to Line backer, I fear this may be more of a negative on our WR corp as opposed to a positive on our RB crew.  I'm a pessimist though
lots of unproven talent at WR right now.  by the end of the season, they won't be "no names" anymore.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Heck I don't remember Kiero ever moving to LB.

RazorWest

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2017, 03:53:34 pm
Heck I don't remember Kiero ever moving to LB.

Might have just been for spring one year.  We all told ourselves it was because he was such a stud, turns out our LBs were just not where they needed to be.

Youngsta71701

Yep, just like Bell was staying at TE. ::)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

bennyl08

Quote from: RazorWest on May 22, 2017, 04:06:25 pm
Might have just been for spring one year.  We all told ourselves it was because he was such a stud, turns out our LBs were just not where they needed to be.

It was, and even then, just for things like goal line jumbo defense.

However, he was that much of a stud. FB's rarely get drafted, but he was.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

31to6

I actually think is mostly a positive about TJ Hammonds and the incoming freshmen. Clearly the staff see him as a threat in the open field and are scheming to get him the ball there several times per game.

He is dangerous with the ball in his hand, so maybe it is better for the team for him to get 10 touches in open space than to try and be part of the 1-2 punch when it wouldn't showcase his best attributes.

Wildhog

I'm pretty pessimistic myself and I love the move.  I've thought he was a WR ever since we offered him.  Took quite a bit of grief for it, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

How does this reflect negavtive on our WR?  We saw his explosiveness last year in space, because we want to put the kid where he will use his skills best says something negative?  I don't think that is quite accurate on your part.  He has some size along with speed that is elite and not found in many athletes.  His style is being used all around the NFL at the slot position. 

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2017, 05:32:16 pm
How does this reflect negavtive on our WR?  We saw his explosiveness last year in space, because we want to put the kid where he will use his skills best says something negative?  I don't think that is quite accurate on your part.  He has some size along with speed that is elite and not found in many athletes.  His style is being used all around the NFL at the slot position.

I think the idea of that poster might have been it's a bad sign for our RB's and a sign the coaching staff doesn't have faith in them if he moves Hammonds back to RB. But it's a bad sign for the WR's if given the loss of RW3, coach doesn't move him back to RB and feels that the WR group needs him there.

My guess is that he's just going to be one of those jack of all players on offense. An all purpose weapon kind of like a Percy Harvin though I wouldn't rate him that highly. Also, if he's getting 10 carries a game, that'd be a huge departure from how we've seen carries be split in the past.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bacons Rebellion

Line him up at WR and fake the end around.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 22, 2017, 05:54:58 pm

Was lethal with Felix Jones and DMC in the wildcat.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Wildhog on May 22, 2017, 05:25:36 pm
I'm pretty pessimistic myself and I love the move.  I've thought he was a WR ever since we offered him.  Took quite a bit of grief for it, too.

The way I remember it, you took the grief for freaking out about BB not recruiting enough RBs and people kept trying to tell you we had a good one committed in TJ. Then Devwah committed and the sky was no longer falling.

Wasn't a big deal, I just remember getting several good chuckles during that whole manufactured crises.

Mike_e

This is good news AFAIC.  The kid was made for the slot position. 

He can get the ball without having to fight through the line- or block blitzing DEs- and use his elusiveness one on one against a linebacker or a safety.  Three or four yards per touch from the backfield to 10 or 12 in the slot.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

onebadrubi

You have to establish it for a fake to work.  But if you establish it then get the fake to work, then it basically removes 1 from the "box" and that is not something teams want to be doing against us... 

bennyl08

Line him up at WR and let him run the end around.

No, line him up at WR and fake the end around.

No, line him up at WR and fake faking the end around. Have him fake faking. He doesn't fake... oh god, the rooms getting smaller...

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on May 22, 2017, 05:55:56 pm
Was lethal with Felix Jones and DMC in the wildcat.
dont you mean the "wildhog", wildhog?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RebelW

I think the main reason he's staying at reciever is because Dan Enos has already made a special package for him at that position and for that still to work he has to stay at reciever

jgphillips3

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 22, 2017, 07:23:57 pm
dont you mean the "wildhog", wildhog?

Nah.  The Wildhog was HDN's feeble attempt to duplicate the wildcat and it took him 8 freaking games to figure out that it takes fast motion to make it work. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RebelW on May 22, 2017, 08:17:25 pm
I think the main reason he's staying at reciever is because Dan Enos has already made a special package for him at that position and for that still to work he has to stay at reciever

Can he be our scat back who can catch a swing pass and take it to the house????   

Me Like Hogs

Since he committed I have always hoped that he would have a role similar to what Christian McCaffery had at Stanford. Similar in size and open field allusiveness. Get him the ball any way that you can and let him do his thing. I think him staying at receiver is a sign the staff wants to get him the ball where he can be that kind of a playmaker.

East TN HAWG

Play him enough at RB, so the defense does not know if he is coming in to be RB or WR.  Use him to put pressure on the defense adjusting to our personnel on the field. 

RazorWest

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2017, 05:32:16 pm

My thought was simply that we don't have enough good receivers so we are taking a good running back and making him a receiver to add depth.  I'm going to try and believe, though, that he is just a better WR than a RB and trust the coaches. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: 31to6 on May 22, 2017, 05:23:46 pm
I actually think is mostly a positive about TJ Hammonds and the incoming freshmen. Clearly the staff see him as a threat in the open field and are scheming to get him the ball there several times per game.

He is dangerous with the ball in his hand, so maybe it is better for the team for him to get 10 touches in open space than to try and be part of the 1-2 punch when it wouldn't showcase his best attributes.
I hope this doesn't become an issue for Hammonds. 

hogsanity

Just because you are listed as a WR does not mean they can't run plays where the QB hands you the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorWest on May 23, 2017, 08:32:39 am
My thought was simply that we don't have enough good receivers so we are taking a good running back and making him a receiver to add depth.  I'm going to try and believe, though, that he is just a better WR than a RB and trust the coaches.

We are taking a playmaker in open space with elite speed and putting him at a position that can put him in space.  I don't think it reflects negatively upon any position that he will be at EVERY position the playbook has to offer for a back or receiver. 

31to6

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 23, 2017, 08:46:28 am
I hope this doesn't become an issue for Hammonds. 
Sorry if I was unclear.

What I meant was that he was a threat in the open field.

I was not implying ball security issues.

My bad.

HogHomer

Quote from: 31to6 on May 23, 2017, 02:54:08 pm
Sorry if I was unclear.

My bad.
I know when people bring up comparisons it can open a can of worms placing high expectations on players. But I really believe Hammonds is the closest thing to Joe Adams that we've seen since him graduation. Like you said he is dangerous in the open field and the fluidity he makes cuts and the way he pulls away from players without seemingly blazing speed just screams Adams to me

sickboy

bennyl08

Quote from: sickboy on May 23, 2017, 04:59:32 pm
Wait -- this says Hammonds is moving to RB. And it was published the exact same day.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/22/hogs-wont-be-game-day-locker-room-2017/

No it doesn't.

From your link (which was already posted here)

"I thought we might get him five or six carries at running back before Rawleigh was hurt," Enos said. "We were always going to use T. J. some at running back. And, we are still going to use T. J. in the slot. It just fits his abilities, his elusiveness. We want to get him the ball in the open field from the slot. But now, we probably will expand his role as a running back, maybe eight to 10 carries."

Still staying at receiver primarily. Just a handful more carries at RB.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 23, 2017, 05:15:05 pm
No it doesn't.

And that certainly makes sense to give him a few more carries each game.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Quote from: 31to6 on May 23, 2017, 02:54:08 pm
Sorry if I was unclear.

My bad.
The only reason I somewhat jokingly made that comment was because several on here expressed concern about the way he carried the ball last year.

tophawg19

I'd compare him more to a Gary Anderson than Joe Adams
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

sickboy

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 23, 2017, 05:15:05 pm
No it doesn't.

Same article...

"We did like what we saw of T. J. at wide receiver and we want to use him there," Bielema said. "But we did bring him back to running back at the end of the spring and we'll need to use him there in the fall with Rawleigh out. T. J. was always going to play some running back."

That sounds like he'll be listed as a RB.

I mean, splitting hairs. He's going to run and catch the ball either way.

jgphillips3

I think there were mostly positive, and one primary negative, for him remaining at WR.  The positives are that when you look at film of him he looks like an elite slot receiver.  He has the perfect combination of skills, size, quickness and speed to excel in that position.  Being in space with his skills makes him a much greater threat.  That said, he would also make a good change of pace back and giving him 3-6 carries out of the backfield plus packages that he motions from RB to slot and others from slot to RB gives defenses even more to think about.  The one negative is I feel personally, he was not strong in pass pro and had that issue with swinging the ball around like a loaf of bread last year that would limit carries from the backfield.  Also, at 6'0" and 197 pounds, he really wouldn't be physicially ideal to combat 240 pound linebackers coming on a blitz.

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 23, 2017, 11:03:05 pm
I think there were mostly positive, and one primary negative, for him remaining at WR.  The positives are that when you look at film of him he looks like an elite slot receiver.  He has the perfect combination of skills, size, quickness and speed to excel in that position.  Being in space with his skills makes him a much greater threat.  That said, he would also make a good change of pace back and giving him 3-6 carries out of the backfield plus packages that he motions from RB to slot and others from slot to RB gives defenses even more to think about.  The one negative is I feel personally, he was not strong in pass pro and had that issue with swinging the ball around like a loaf of bread last year that would limit carries from the backfield.  Also, at 6'0" and 197 pounds, he really wouldn't be physicially ideal to combat 240 pound linebackers coming on a blitz.

From a personal standpoint, I agree. From a personnel standpoint, I think that he has a bigger impact at RB than WR. Namely, depending on what Chase shows, Hammonds gives an opportunity for Chase to RS since they have a similar skill set and Bielema in the past has only given about 20-40 total carries over the course of a season to that style back. Something like 200/200 for Whaley and Williams. another 100 for Hammonds and then 30 or so for Hayden/Cantrell with Whaley and Williams easily able to give a bit more than 200 each. Conner will will probably get a few more carries as well, particularly in some blowouts.

At WR, Hammonds would be good no doubt. However, we also have Cornelius, Stewart, Pettway, Jones, Martin, Nance, as well as Cantrell, O'Grady, Patton... There's a lot of balls to go around and a lot of talented guys to catch them. RB is now a lot more thin than WR.

bennyl08

For example, with the Harvin comparison

Harvin had 194 collegiate carries to 133 receptions. Compare that to the NFL where he had 353 receptions to just 146 carries (along with 152 KR's).

WR's won't miss much of a beat without Hammonds IMO. Not to say that he wouldn't be the starting slot guy, but the dropoff behind him wouldn't be terrible. Contrast that to RB where if you remove Hammonds from the equation, you force Hayden to play and if any of the backs gets injured, we would only have walk-ons to fill in after.

The_Iceman

We were running the end around with Hollister, Hatcher , and Cornelius. TJ is way faster than those guys. Would to see him get 3 of those a game, mixed in with some screens.

theshiva

Quote from: RazorWhacker on May 22, 2017, 06:02:23 pm
The way I remember it, you took the grief for freaking out about BB not recruiting enough RBs and people kept trying to tell you we had a good one committed in TJ. Then Devwah committed and the sky was no longer falling.

Wasn't a big deal, I just remember getting several good chuckles during that whole manufactured crises.

In his defense a good bit of luck went into getting Devwah. For a large part of that recruiting cycle it looked like we were going to miss on White and Whaley. Good thing Georgia got rid of Ritch.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 24, 2017, 08:28:04 am
We were running the end around with Hollister, Hatcher , and Cornelius. TJ is way faster than those guys. Would to see him get 3 of those a game, mixed in with some screens.
If he's not too busy, I'd like to see him at safety a few times per game.

DeltaBoy

At least we know if we get in a jam we can move him back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Pessimism is not good for your health.  Be an optimist and live longer; at least, for sure, happier...

hogcard1964

He reminds me a bit of Gary Anderson.  He could be a real good one.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 24, 2017, 09:12:23 am #46 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:31:35 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on May 23, 2017, 11:26:59 pm
From a personal standpoint, I agree. From a personnel standpoint, I think that he has a bigger impact at RB than WR. Namely, depending on what Chase shows, Hammonds gives an opportunity for Chase to RS since they have a similar skill set and Bielema in the past has only given about 20-40 total carries over the course of a season to that style back. Something like 200/200 for Whaley and Williams. another 100 for Hammonds and then 30 or so for Hayden/Cantrell with Whaley and Williams easily able to give a bit more than 200 each. Conner will will probably get a few more carries as well, particularly in some blowouts.

At WR, Hammonds would be good no doubt. However, we also have Cornelius, Stewart, Pettway, Jones, Martin, Nance, as well as Cantrell, O'Grady, Patton... There's a lot of balls to go around and a lot of talented guys to catch them. RB is now a lot more thin than WR.

We can cut it up anyway we want but we are most likely going to run the ball about 31-32 times a game on average.

Fortunately last year, with the departure of Collins, we had a somewhat experienced RB in RWIII coming back with a new freshman running mate in Whaley. RWIII got 47.4% of all rushing carries and 63.7% of the yards. Whaley got 21.3% and 28.2% of all yards. Other RB's, WR's and TE's accounted for almost another 16% of all carries but just 10% of the yards. Hammonds was an exception gaining 5.9 YPC on 15 carries.

The year before (2015) with an injured J-Will we had an experienced RB in Collins coming back and a freshman in RWIII as well as Kody Walker. Of course we lost RWIII in the Auburn game so Kody Walker found himself carrying the ball more than he normally would averaging about 7 touches p/gm. But it was Alex Collins who became the workhorse with our other 2 top RB's out and he accounted for 52.9% of all carries and 61.5% of all rushing yards.

2014 was a pretty ideal year for the run game given that J-Will and Collins shared the load with J-Will accounting for 37.9% of all carries and 42% of the yards. AC had 36.6% of all carries and 39% of all yards.

I'm not sure how they are going to break it out this season at RB but I bet it looks a lot like a repeat of 2015 where we leaned heavily on AC. Whaley will probably carry the ball around 55% of the time, around 18 carries p/gm. Maleek Williams will probably get another 9-10 and We will probably see Hammonds getting 5-7 touches each game on average. Let's hope that Whaley is going to be able to take the beating that goes along with 18-20 carries each game.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 24, 2017, 08:28:04 am

Hollister and Hatcher yeah. Don't know if I'd say Hammonds is faster than Cornelius and if he is, he definitely isn't "way faster".

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 09:12:23 am
We can cut it up anyway we want but we are most likely going to run the ball about 31-32 times a game on average.

Fortunately last year, with the departure of Collins, we had a somewhat experienced RB in RWIII coming back with a new freshman running mate in Whaley. RWIII got 47.4% of all rushing carries and 63.7% of the yards. Whaley got 21.3% and 28.2% of all yards. Other RB's, WR's and TE's accounted for almost another 16% of all carries but just 10% of the yards. Hammonds was an exception gaining 5.9 YPC on 15 carries.

The year before (2015) with an injured J-Will we had an experienced RB in Collins coming back and a freshman in RWIII as well as Kody Walker. Of course we lost RWIII in the Auburn game so Kody Walker found himself carrying the ball more than he normally would averaging about 7 touches p/gm. But it was Alex Collins who became the workhorse with our other 2 top RB's out and he accounted for 52.9% of all carries and 61.5% of all rushing yards.

2014 was a pretty ideal year for the run game given that J-Will and Collins shared the load with J-Will accounting for 37.9% of all carries and 42% of the yards. AC had 36.6% of all carries and 39% of all yards.

I'm not sure how they are going to break it out this season at RB but I bet it looks a lot like a repeat of 2015 where we leaned heavily on AC. Whaley will probably carry the ball around 55% of the time, around 18 carries p/gm. Maleek Williams will probably get another 9-10 and We will probably see Hammonds getting 5-7 touches each game on average. Let's hope that Whaley is going to be able to take the beating that goes along with 18-20 carries each game.

Disagree. Cut it up any way we want, but we've averaged about 40 carries a game under Bielema. 32 carries a game would put us at only 416 total carries when the past two seasons had about 100 more total carries. 2014 had about 560 carries, and even 2013 when we weren't sustaining too many drives still had about 470 carries.

Bielema likes power at the RB position and that is Maleek more than Whaley. Given that he was here in the spring, how much the coaches have praised him, and his fitting into what Bielema seems to like a lot in a back, I'd be surprised if it ended up with Whaley as 1 and Williams as a 2 for anything more than the first couple of games before it becomes a 1a/1b scenario.

The biggest question on how many carries people gets depends, IMO, mostly on the passing game. Austin Allen is a stud of a qb and a RsSr. If the receivers are half as good as we think they will be, feeding the studs could mean more passing than we'd otherwise like just because when you have somebody like Austin, you use him. The other question becomes who the coaches want to use behind Whaley and Williams. Hammonds will get some touches but how often did we hear about them wanting Nate Holmes, and then Korliss Marshall touches in the off-season but then that simply never materializing in season. As I showed earlier, a majority of the carries behind the major players went to power backs like Small and then Walker. How well can Hayden Johnson carry the football? Is Kendrick Jackson a threat to run the ball? Conner got some carries last year and in the scrimmages this spring, he had 14 carries to Williams/Whaley/Williams 18 and 19 carries. How much does McPherson do this fall?

Lastly, with you projecting Whaley to have twice as many carries as Williams, Whaley was in the reverse of that last season. In 2013, we had a true sophomore who had some experience and a true freshmen with both being 1a/1b pretty quickly on the season. 2016, we had a sophomore with some experience and a true freshmen, but the sophomore, who was a power back was the clear 1 to the speed back freshmen who was a clear 2. Now in 2017, we  have a sophomore with a good amount of experience and is a speed back, with a power back freshmen who went through spring and has already picked up things like pass blocking.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 24, 2017, 08:52:02 am
If he's not too busy, I'd like to see him at safety a few times per game.

No no, it's LB'er around here