Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garland & Hall are going to play out of position.(my opinion)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 12, 2017, 12:11:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Their traditional SF's with one being promised a opportunity to run the point and other going to get minute's at the PF.

Both can bring the ball up the court like a big guard.  Arkansas major weakness involving Offensive output was at the PF position.

We signed no PF's.  Brachen Hazen is far and above the best at Rebounding & Perimeter Shooting while Adrio Bailey is easily the most athletically gifted on the roster with CJ Jones running a close 2nd.

They desperately need to leapfrog Thomas & Cook by the time SEC schedule starts.

If neither of the above sequences of events take place 6'7 Hall is going inserted as a undersized 4. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Garland on the wing, Hall at the four, yes, I can see that.

Also can see Gafford and Thompson in the game together, with three guards.
[CENSORED]!

widespreadsooie

It would be a travesty to see Hall play the 4. It would really hurt him in maximizing his potential, which I think is very very high. NBA high.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: widespreadsooie on May 12, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
It would be a travesty to see Hall play the 4. It would really hurt him in maximizing his potential, which I think is very very high. NBA high.

Hall is likely to play a bit of every position except the 5 in his college career, if he develops into a reliable shooter from all levels.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Bionic_Pig

I agree but he may be "THE" most effective 4 on the current roster. 

Last season teams figured out Thomas & Cook presented very little threat on the perimeter or to dribble drive and simply cheated towards the closest Arkansas teamate. 

It was essentially 4 vs 5 defender's.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Given that college hoop has lots of teams playing with three guards, a combo forward and a post, or just four guards and a post, it's not really that big a deal.
[CENSORED]!

niels_boar

It's a stretch to say that Hazen is a better rebounder than Bailey, Cook, or Thomas given how little we have seen of him.  Bailey in particular has the potential to be a beast on the boards at both ends.  Cook and Thomas were both decent on the glass.  We need more points from the four.  It would be a welcome sight to see Hazen earn some minutes as a stretch four.

If Jones, Garland, and Hall can give us major production on the wing, a rotation of Thompson, Gafford, Bailey, Thomas, Hazen, and Cook at forward should be more than adequate.  Nonetheless, if Hall deserves minutes, CMA should get the best players on the floor however he can.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: niels_boar on May 12, 2017, 12:34:04 pm
It's a stretch to say that Hazen is a better rebounder than Bailey, Cook, or Thomas given how little we have seen of him.  Bailey in particular has the potential to be a beast on the boards at both ends.  Cook and Thomas were both decent on the glass.  We need more points from the four.  It would be a welcome sight to see Hazen earn some minutes as a stretch four.

If Jones, Garland, and Hall can give us major production on the wing, a rotation of Thompson, Gafford, Bailey, Thomas, Hazen, and Cook at forward should be more than adequate.  Nonetheless, if Hall deserves minutes, CMA should get the best players on the floor however he can.

I'm going off of last season's practice reports but as you mentioned a live game may produce different results...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dominicanhog

I think Thomas and Cook are both much improved this year.. We saw Cook get better as the year went on and Thomas actually looked good at tournament time.... as seniors, they'll get 25+ minutes at the 4...Trey gets some 4 but not much, AB gets the rest, along with a few minutes at the 3, as MA continues his development... Hall will play the 3 imo, though he may get some 4 time when the line-up goes small...

I think the wild card is Hazen.. does he make the court this year?  If Mike didn't see the potential, not sure he'd still be here...

azhog10

Disagree. Draymond Green had a ton of similar qualities as Hall in high school. Everyone said he would be and undersized four, the same was said in the NBA. But just like Green, Hall has an incredible IQ and handles for his size. He may be undersized but he can play any position on the floor.

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 12, 2017, 12:30:55 pm
Given that college hoop has lots of teams playing with three guards, a combo forward and a post, or just four guards and a post, it's not really that big a deal.
100% agree.

Hogimus Prime

I wouldn't be surprised. Garland and Hall are the 6'5"-6'7" versitile types MA wants and now has.  Hazen and Bailey really do need to take a big step forward.

HawgHeadCheese

It's not unusual for SF's to play the 4 in college. Really everyone plays out of of position in college besides maybe the PG or the C. Myles Bridges played the 4 most of the year for Michigan St. and he is a 3. Josh Jackson played the 4 a lot for Kansas and he is a 3. The college game is a lot different from the NBA game.

Paul

Johnson was disappointing during the regular season but had a good game(23 pts) in the NCAA tourney. Cook had some good games during the regular season but was a non factor in the postseason. They need to step up or move aside

Kevin McPherson

I've seen as much of Darious Hall as anybody outside of his coaches and a few others, and I'll be shocked if he sees many minutes as a 4. He's in the mold of Michael Qualls, who was always a 3 playing on the floor with Coty Clarke or Alandise Harris or Jacorey Williams playing that under-sized combo-4 role. How often was Qualls on the floor with 3 guards and a big? Not often. Expect a similar role for Hall.

Garland will help at all 3 spots -- 1, 2 and 3. It may take him awhile to help at the 1, OR he might be ready to help there sooner than I'm thinking. At some point, he'll be a nice utility player in the backcourt for the Hogs.

poloprince

Hall will not play the 4. No way no how and Orlando will be better.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: poloprince on May 13, 2017, 11:50:36 am

It's Arlando. And I agree for the most part.

But I can see Hall playing the 4 if we ever go with a small quick lineup. MA has done that with Watkins and Qualls in previous seasons. Not for long periods of time just when MA feels it gives us a match advantage.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 13, 2017, 11:59:28 am
It's Arlando. And I agree for the most part.

But I can see Hall playing the 4 if we ever go with a small quick lineup. MA has done that with Watkins and Qualls in previous seasons. Not for long periods of time just when MA feels it gives us a match advantage.
Quote from: poloprince on May 13, 2017, 11:50:36 am

As others have said, it all depends on production at the 4 spot from Thomas, Cook, Bailey, and Hazen. If they don't step up, Mike has no issues going small. I hope we don't have to do that, though, so we can really match up with bigger teams more effectively.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 12, 2017, 12:11:28 pm
Their traditional SF's with one being promised a opportunity to run the point and other going to get minute's at the PF.

Both can bring the ball up the court like a big guard.  Arkansas major weakness involving Offensive output was at the PF position.

We signed no PF's.  Brachen Hazen is far and above the best at Rebounding & Perimeter Shooting while Adrio Bailey is easily the most athletically gifted on the roster with CJ Jones running a close 2nd.

They desperately need to leapfrog Thomas & Cook by the time SEC schedule starts.

If neither of the above sequences of events take place 6'7 Hall is going inserted as a undersized 4.

I have been very disappointed in Mikes recruitment of PF spot. Mike is either sliding athletic 3s or men more suited for the 5 spot and playing them at the 4.  Hope our recruiting strategy changes.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on May 12, 2017, 04:42:11 pm
100% agree.

Sure you can win a lot games with a 4 guard line up but when you play the top 15 in the NCAAT  you better have some big boys or shoot a very high % or your going home.  To me if we are to win consistently against the top teams we need big physical players and not just rely on shooting a high %.

Hogberry Snortcake

May 16, 2017, 10:56:26 am #20 Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:15:37 pm by Hogberry Snortcake
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 16, 2017, 10:10:48 am
I have been very disappointed in Mikes recruitment of PF spot. Mike is either sliding athletic 3s or men more suited for the 5 spot and playing them at the 4.  Hope our recruiting strategy changes.

Yeah.  We need a 6'8", 240+ lb PF.