Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:03:10 pm
Gruden has no meaningful major college coaching experience.....tell me again why he's a slam dunk hire?

The guy knows enough to hire the right people, get out of their way and use them.

He would also take our recruiting up two notches at least.  Scary good.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Sivad on April 15, 2012, 03:50:42 pm
The fact that he hasn't speaks volumes about Long.

No one talks to anyone until the hire is official.  There is never an "official" offer until they are sure the other will accept.  That is just how they do it these days.

I'm not even talking about agents talking to agents.  There are people even further removed sometimes that don't "officially" represent either party. 

It is important for any University to show that they were able to get their first choice.  Of course the Coach coming in would like for people to think that he was the first choice.

Just because there has been no contact or call doesn't mean that third and fourth parties aren't talking and working on things.

That being said, I have no faith in Jeff Long to get a name that will be bigger than his. 

Jim Grobe.  Tommy Bowden.  Names Arkansas fans should never forget.  Grobe WAS offered the job.  Scary.
Retired Radio Host

hogs25

Chucky can operate the remote control as good as BP.  That's a telltale sign to me that he knows football.  I watch him on SC the man can break down game film with the best of them.  I say get him IF we can.

HF#1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2012, 05:05:31 pm
No one talks to anyone until the hire is official.  There is never an "official" offer until they are sure the other will accept.  That is just how they do it these days.

I'm not even talking about agents talking to agents.  There are people even further removed sometimes that don't "officially" represent either party. 

It is important for any University to show that they were able to get their first choice.  Of course the Coach coming in would like for people to think that he was the first choice.

Just because there has been no contact or call doesn't mean that third and fourth parties aren't talking and working on things.

That being said, I have no faith in Jeff Long to get a name that will be bigger than his. 

Jim Grobe.  Tommy Bowden.  Names Arkansas fans should never forget.  Grobe WAS offered the job.  Scary.

It's amazing to me how you can latch on to something that happened 4 years ago under completely different circumstances.   
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

justin2000m80

Gruden can recruit i bet.  You hire him now and he is smart enough to keep staff in place atleast for this season.  Im am looking forward to what Paul Haynes can do with defense and I think Paul Petrino can run a stellar offense.  So Gruden comes in lets the coordinators do their jobs and we go far or win BCS then Gruden be dumb to let them go.  I saw him talk to Mallett on ESPN and Gruden knows the game. 

Coondog Hog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 05:07:12 pm
It's amazing to me how you can latch on to something that happened 4 years ago under completely different circumstances.   
Concerning Long and football coaching searches it's the only real facts we have to go by.  Fans should approach this whole situation with some serious concern
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

justin2000m80

I agree!!! We are now a top ten job no doubt! Top ten team, top team facilities, with top ten PAY.$$$$ talks....

Iwastherein1969

Gruden would make Lord Sith Saban soil his proverbial DEPENDS....Gruden would take one look at Leslie Miles and laugh in his idiotic face....case close, Hogs dominate SEC West for years to come....we need to pay GRUDEN whatever he wants, because whatever he wants won't be even a fraction of what he would be worth to our program
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

McHogLovin

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm
he also has a record of 95 wins, 81 loses   .540 avg

that was dungy's team that won the superbowl.

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.

Impressed me.  If I remember correctly they beat the pants off the same team Gruden had built in Oakland.  Oakland looked absolutely impossible to stop 2 weeks before in the AFC championship game.  The Bucs came right out and shut them down.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 05:07:12 pm

Will you then stand shoulder to shoulder with me in the protest to fire Jeff Long if he goes for a Skip Holtz, Tommy Tuberville, Rich Rod type coach? 

I'm more than willing to proclaim that Jeff Long made a great hire if he does.  I'll apologize and say I was wrong about him.

Deal?
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 15, 2012, 05:16:55 pm
Gruden would make Lord Sith Saban soil his proverbial DEPENDS....Gruden would take one look at Leslie Miles and laugh in his idiotic face....case close, Hogs dominate SEC West for years to come....we need to pay GRUDEN whatever he wants, because whatever he wants won't be even a fraction of what he would be worth to our program
Retired Radio Host

Danny J

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2012, 05:18:30 pm
Will you then stand shoulder to shoulder with me in the protest to fire Jeff Long if he goes for a Skip Holtz, Tommy Tuberville, Rich Rod type coach? 

I'm more than willing to proclaim that Jeff Long made a great hire if he does.  I'll apologize and say I was wrong about him.

Deal?
I will stand beside you. That would make me very very angry.

McHogLovin

Bowden even scarier.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: hogfan2000 on April 15, 2012, 04:52:00 pm
Anyone that considers John Gruden a bad hire is an absolute idiot.  We are some 3 or 4 months before fall practice starts and we have no football coach.  There aren't many solutions to this fiasco petrino created but hiring a super bowl winning, quarterback show hosting, monster name guy they has z nickname chucky is as good a candidate as possible. It would heal the fanbase, make a national impact as far as recruiting is concerned, and most importantly give this team someone that they would immediately respond to as a whole. There are very few hires that fall in this category.

What he said.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

HF#1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2012, 05:18:30 pm

Deal?

If he hires Holtz or Tuberville, you can have my Hogville account deleted and yes I will join you in calling for his head.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

BartIV

Quote from: Redhogs on April 15, 2012, 04:53:30 pm
BART'S BACK!! Where you been man?? You missed a hell of a day. Still simmering.
Birthday party, so I guess our beloved AD Jeff Long is about to hire Gruden.  Forget it people. But at least someone tried (John Daly). Maybe he should be the new AD. Just kidding.
As always, In Jeff Long We Trust.

McHogLovin

Quote from: silverandbluedc on April 15, 2012, 04:08:21 pm
I'll take 3-4 good years. If he does the job well enough to get an NFL gig, we are set up nicely to get any coach we want after him.

IDK about any coach, but we'd be a very attractive job.

str8volfan

this was taken not long ago, sorry guys, he already has his eye on a job.

JethroB.

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm
he also has a record of 95 wins, 81 loses   .540 avg

that was dungy's team that won the superbowl.

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.

That was Dungy's team that won the super bowl, but, wasn't it Gruden's team that Bill Calahan took in Oakland??

McHogLovin

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 05:28:02 pm

then he saw the ass whoopin we laid on you guys and changed his mind.  he's a hog now.

justin2000m80

Iwastherein69.....Love the Pink Ping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Bubba.

Gruden built a team in Oakland that made it to the Superbowl.  Even though Gruden beat Oakland embarassingly with Dungy's team the Bucs.  I like Gruden he is still known and could recruit.  Dungy is an outstanding person so no need to worry about scandals or mistresses on the side. 

HF#1

I hope Dooley wins 10 games this year and keeps his job.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Just throwing out possible situations.

What if we could convince Jon gruden to become the head coach but not to coach this season. Allowing him to continue to do Monday night football for this year. He could collect two checks.

He would only be recruiting until Monday night football ends. The current staff would coach this season. Him doing Monday night football with everyone knowing he will be the hc for 2013 will bring a great amount of positive attention to the Arkansas football program and attract recruits.

Also keeping the current staff together gives us the best chance to win in 2012

justin2000m80

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 05:20:49 pm
If he hires Holtz or Tuberville, you can have my Hogville account deleted and yes I will join you in calling for his head.

AMEN! God i hope not.  I could name ten better.  Best hire is Chris Peterson from Boise State.  Had good teams was not allowed in the BCS title game because he was at small school and small conference.  Come to Arkansas...most powerful conference in college football, stadium holds twice as many people and we will pay you twice as much!  I think I just gave Long his sales speech......

str8volfan

you guys do know that Gruden's wife was a Vol cheerleader and is from Knoxville, right?

Redhogs

Yea...you already  have a brilliant head coach troll...... enjoy your success and get the hell off our board you tool.......
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Iwastherein1969

April 15, 2012, 05:35:23 pm #126 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:37:03 pm by Iwastherein1969
if Long contacts HIS usual crew, the Wannstedts, the Bowdens, the Grobes, etc....I'm personally going to do this to his contact book....

thebignasty

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 05:33:51 pm
you guys do know that Gruden's wife was a Vol cheerleader and is from Knoxville, right?

Arkansas is a better job right now.  First time in a long, long time that can be said without feeling like a homertroll.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Redhogs

Then why did he not take the job 2 years ago when you begged him to take?? Yea....thought so.

str8volfan

Quote from: Redhogs on April 15, 2012, 05:34:22 pm
Yea...you already  have a brilliant head coach troll...... enjoy your success and get the hell off our board you tool.......
you have a great day, sir.

Redhogs

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 15, 2012, 05:35:23 pm
if Long contacts HIS usual crew, the Wannstedts, the Bowdens, the Grobes, etc....I'm personally going to do this to his contact book....
If he does...I see riots in the street!!  He would never survive that.

Redhogs

socalhogcaller

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:34:29 pm
So basically I will feel the dame
That's kinda what got us into this mess.

str8volfan

TaylorMade7Degree

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 15, 2012, 05:16:55 pm

There is a lot of truth in this statement ...

Iwastherein1969

and you still had to hire the real Coach, Vince Dooley's baby boy ?

bhuie

Absolutely.  "Go big or go home" has to be Long's motto for this hire.  Lars Anderson wrote in the April 16, 2012, issue of SI (which came out before CBP was fired) that "Arkansas is not an elite job."  I want to see him eat those words when we hire a big name coach.  Gruden would certainly fit that criteria...

jfisdirtybird

"yea, hello jon?....this is John"

justin2000m80

1. Chris Peterson 2. John GRuden  3. TOny Dungy 4. Bill Cowher  5. Gary Patterson  6.  Herman Edwards  7. Jimmy Johnson 

RackJobber

Why would anyone in their right mind take less money and work 10 times as hard?  Gruden isn't stupid.  He just signed a 5 year contract with ESPN, works 1 or 2 days a week, travels and talks football for more money than what Petrino was making.  Go ahead and waste your breaths on this one, he aint coming to UA.  Unless he is that dumb.

justin2000m80

It is in the blood maybe he misses it.  I dont know what ESPN pays him. 

jry04

Quote from: RackJobber on April 15, 2012, 05:54:07 pm
Why would anyone in their right mind take less money and work 10 times as hard?  Gruden isn't stupid.  He just signed a 5 year contract with ESPN, works 1 or 2 days a week, travels and talks football for more money than what Petrino was making.  Go ahead and waste your breaths on this one, he aint coming to UA.  Unless he is that dumb.

Maybe he is not as lazy as you? Some people actually enjoy coaching. Steve Lavin was making a ton of money at espn and took a job at SJU, a program that was not in very good shape.

BloodRedHog

The Gruden contract does not kick in with ESPN until Sept....

As for replacements, the #1 concern is recruiting therefore you must get a big name....

The first choice is Carroll because he has proven success in college and every recruit remembers watching USC win it all in 03 and 04...

#2 is Gruden because every recruit sees him on ESPN all the time....he's #2 because no proven college success....

#3 is maybe Mariucci because he is a name and when he wasn't throttled by Matt Millen's stupidity, he won in the NFL
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

justin2000m80

We could market Chucky dolls with Hog hats on them.

ADinWaiting

Alright, Ched, when Grobe was offered he had just gone 20-7 over a two year period at Wake Forest. I would compare them to Vandy but the ACC has Duke so I will compare them to Ole Miss, Mississippi St. or Kentucky. I will say that Grobe has since declined. However, at the point in time he was offered he has just gone 20-7 and gone to a BCS bowl at Wake Forest. So in reality, at the time, it wasn't that bad of a choice. Don't talk about the years before because all we heard about Petrino lately was 21-5. I will agree Bowden was a terrible choice.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

justin2000m80

Didnt Pete Carroll leave USC when NCAA troubles began?  He left knowing that they would be penalized.  Kiffin had a good record but didnt get to play in PAC title game due to violations under Carroll.  I say no to Carroll, Davis, and Tressel due to prior NCAA troubles.  Mariuchi would be ok. 

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:48:13 pm
It's tough to win in the NFL for a long period of time.  Imagine him walking into the living room of recruits.  He would have an impact that Saban only wishes he had.  Every 18 year old kid knows who Jon Gruden is and would jump at the opportunity to play for him. 

It would be like hiring Calipari in basketball without the cheating.   He would be a pipeline to the NFL and at the end of the day, that is what the elite players want.

Ditto. +1.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: justin2000m80 on April 15, 2012, 06:09:20 pm
We could market Chucky dolls with Hog hats on them.

How about Gruden's Razorback shirts with "Bobby who?"
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

BartIV

Quote from: RackJobber on April 15, 2012, 05:54:07 pm

How much does J. Gruden make at ESPN$$$

And coaches always want to get back on the field and coach. Its an itch they can never scratch.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:48:13 pm
It's tough to win in the NFL for a long period of time.  Imagine him walking into the living room of recruits.  He would have an impact that Saban only wishes he had.  Every 18 year old kid knows who Jon Gruden is and would jump at the opportunity to play for him. 

It would be like hiring Calipari in basketball without the cheating.   He would be a pipeline to the NFL and at the end of the day, that is what the elite players want.

And with his QB specials where he is critiquing Heisman winners and finalists, every big time HS QB in the nation knows who he is as well. I'm not sure how he would do at Arkansas...I hope he would do very well, but I know he would be very impressive in the living rooms of prospects/recruits.
Go Hogs Go!