Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slingbox

Started by MDH, June 25, 2008, 09:31:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDH

Before I moved out here to San Diego, I bought a Slingbox and set it up at a friends house in Fort Smith.  It basically allows me to watch local Fort Smith Cable over the internet.  The picture quality isn't the best, but it definitely is good enough to watch a game on if you can't get it through other means.  I would recommend it if both you and the person you are going to set it up with have good fairly high speed broadband connections.

I log in quite a bit to catch the local news back there too.

Only one person can log into it at a time.

There are no monthly fees beyond what you normally pay for your internet.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

JaxFlaRazorback

An FTA satellite system would also be a good way to keep in touch with Razorback news back in Arkansas.  Both Ku and C band (unscrambled) digital signals can be watched.  I watch KATV everyday, just as I did before I moved to Florida.  There are several other Arkansas low power stations on FTA (Free To Air).  They're the RTN stations that are uplinked in Little Rock.  My dish is a .9 Meter, which is about 40"x36".  Dish, receiver, and actuator cost about $150.00.  Google FTA or log onto http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/ to learn more.

dc10x1103

FletchLives

Does it really work that easy?  The FTA I mean, Slingbox I get.

JaxFlaRazorback

Quote from: FletchLives on July 20, 2008, 03:07:00 am
....Does it really work that easy?  The FTA I mean....

FTA is the acronym for Free To Air, which are the unscrambled satellite signals that can be viewed (unscrambled).  Since KATV's antenna fell, their programming has been transmitted FTA.  There's no guarantee how long it'll be there, but as long as it is, it's there for viewing.

Installation of the FTA system can range from very simple (dish fixed on a single satellite) or complex (motorized dish able to view all satellites).  Both installations can be easily accomplished by most anyone that's "handy" with tools.  Prices range from about $100.00 for a fixed dish to about $150.00 for a motorized dish.  Some installers for Dish Network type systems also install FTA systems.

On any given college football Saturday, nearly all the televised games are available to view unscrambled.  Only problem is that they can be on any one of about eight different satellites.  It's usually hard to know in advance which satellite a particular game will be on, but there are message boards that post that information in "real time", and broadcasters tend to use the same satellite every week.