Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike can you check on the rumor

Started by soso, July 24, 2006, 08:41:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

soso

that Robert Johnson's mom inquired about Robert transferring to Baylor.  Bart Byrd the academic coordinator who is taking a similar position at Baylor is a close personal friend of the family and they want Robert to transfer to stay closer to Mr. Byrd.

mikeirwin

That rumor is out there. I am told that Robert considered it but is planning to stay at Arkansas.

Smithian

People may dislike him(Not myself.), but a backup with that experience is downright amazing in the SEC. I think that Alex Wood had made him nothing but better.

GuvHog

Quote from: Smithian on July 24, 2006, 09:36:40 am
People may dislike him(Not myself.), but a backup with that experience is downright amazing in the SEC. I think that Alex Wood had made him nothing but better.

You're right, RJ could be a lot better than some people think. I actually heard one person
say the Following: "I am going to the first game in Fayetteville. If RJ is the starter, I will
get up walk out of the stadium and never return". it saddens me how some people people
refuse to give RJ the chance to greatly improve. That type of behavior is totally Improper.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Conway Cool Daddy

RJ can't handle the pressure of starting. My hope is that HDN will bring him off the bench, kind of like Shockley at Georgia.
I hate the two QB system, but we may see several QBs in the first several games until someone proves they deserve the job full time.

WILL CLINTON

Well, Im of the opinion that if Alex and Gus deem him to be capable as the starter, then they see something that we don't.  We are supposed to be trusting them and putting the offense in their hands. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

GuvHog

Quote from: dubyacee on July 24, 2006, 10:37:58 am
Well, Im of the opinion that if Alex and Gus deem him to be capable as the starter, then they see something that we don't.  We are supposed to be trusting them and putting the offense in their hands. 

Agree totally, But when it comes to RJ, some people just won't do it.

Theolesnort

July 24, 2006, 10:43:12 am #8 Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:17:55 pm by Theolesnort
Guv you have to understand why some people might say such a thing. They stayed way to long with Robert last season when it was apparent that he was melting instead of getting stronger. Robert had much more than a fair chance to establish himself and to some to go back and move him to the front of the line once again will  only promote chagrin on the part of many. The only way it works is that a miracle happens and he plays lights out from the get go then some of the critics will calm down. I don't think you and I or anyone else really thinks that will happen although strange things do happen at times.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HogSportsLover

well he has always been able to show off his skills in practice! that is probably why last year nutt waited so long to pull his starting job b/c he was so effective in practice.  and he could do that again this year and then choke when he plays...i pray to God he doesn't choke b/c i know him personally but there is always that worry that he will show up in practice then not bring all that to the field! personally i think he is a great qb and deserves another chance...he wouldn't be playin college ball if he wasn't good enough to...if all else fails throw him out there at receiver...he has the speed and knowledge, use his skills in his feet.  we are short at receiver so why not test him out there!

Dubs

GuvHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2006, 10:43:12 am
Guv you have to understand why some people might say such a thing. They stayed way to long with Robert last season when it was apparent that he was melting instead of getting stronger. Robert had much more than a fair chance to establish himself and to some to go back and more him to the front of the line once again will  only promote chagrin on the part of many. The only way it works is that a miracle happens and he plays lights out from the get go then some of the critics will calm down. I don't think you are I are anyone else really thinks that will happen although strange things do happen at times.

Who knows, AW could be just the miracle that RJ needs.

Cornhogio

Johnson's rep seems to be that he's great in practice, not so much in the game.  I expect that if he does earn the start, he'll be on a fairly short leash. 
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

WILL CLINTON

Guv you have to understand why some people might say such a thing. They stayed way to long with Robert last season when it was apparent that he was melting instead of getting stronger. Robert had much more than a fair chance to establish himself and to some to go back and more him to the front of the line once again will  only promote chagrin on the part of many. The only way it works is that a miracle happens and he plays lights out from the get go then some of the critics will calm down. I don't think you are I are anyone else really thinks that will happen although strange things do happen at times.

I think the difference this year is that we actually have a QB coach and OC who could teach, instill or change something that would make him effective.  Do I think he can based on what I've seen, no.  Do I trust Gus and Alex to make the correct decision, and, more importantly, the decision to put us in position to win, yes. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

bigred7987

He would have one year to play at Baylor? That doesn't make sense, He has already used his redshirt

Theolesnort

Yes, but why hope for a miracle when you probably have sure money in Mitch and in Casey you have one tough hombre who if he develops a little more accuracy and touch could play for almost anyone?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

chshog

Who really knows what he is capable of. Look at the past leadership.

Sao Ming

July 24, 2006, 11:26:31 am #16 Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:25:55 pm by Sao Ming
GJ Kinne of Gilmer, TX just verbal'd to BAY last week - Robert better know what he is doing.  Baylor, it's been discussed, is adopting a hybrid of Leach's offense at Tech.  GJ Kinne, although a true frosh in the fall would be a better fit to run it than RJ.  Gilmer runs the spread AND HUNH which is fairly new to GJ having transferred from Canton...but...GJ is with the best system in East Texas now and will be prepared to run an offense from the get go.

GorillaJMonsoon

July 24, 2006, 11:28:16 am #17 Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:50:43 am by GorillaJMonsoon
I was in the stadium a couple years back and was talking to an employee within the athletic dept. about QBs.  This was when Matt Jones was still here and I asked him about RJ, and he said if MJ went down, he wouldn't be suprised to see Dowell Loggains out there before RJ.  He only said it half jokingly and when asked about his comment, he replied that RJ is great in practice and has all the physical tools (including a stronger arm than MJ) but that the mental part is not there.  "Lost" was a word that he used.  Not able to look at any receivers other than the first.  Not able to concentrate, etc.  I watched RJ last year and everything the guy said seemed to be dead on. I hope the new coaches can help him with this aspect of his game because he has potential.  And no GUV, I am not revealing names.  Sorry.

PigKahuna

If injuries strike we'll be extremely thankful to have Robert Johnson on the sidelines to fill in.

LA HAWG

Quote from: PigKahuna on July 24, 2006, 12:20:38 pm
If injuries strike we'll be extremely thankful to have Robert Johnson on the sidelines to fill in.

Really?

PigNewton

i'm not ready to give up on rj just yet. after seeing travaris jackson go from nothing under nutt to a 2nd rounder under someone else, i'm giving rj the benefit of the doubt. lets see what gus and alex can do with him.

jap66

Quote from: PigNewton on July 24, 2006, 12:40:10 pm
i'm not ready to give up on rj just yet. after seeing travaris jackson go from nothing under nutt to a 2nd rounder under someone else, i'm giving rj the benefit of the doubt. lets see what gus and alex can do with him.

Sometimes we forget that these are young players. They mature at different rates.
Who knows with last year under his belt, he might be a much better player. Jr and Sr do have a better understanding of the game than the rookies. 

Maybe it wasn't all on the coaches. Maybe T. Jackson and M Cherry just grew up.

This is one reason I like our OL. I don't like our debth but I do like the experience.

hogman64

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 24, 2006, 10:36:27 am
RJ can't handle the pressure of starting. My hope is that HDN will bring him off the bench, kind of like Shockley at Georgia.
I hate the two QB system, but we may see several QBs in the first several games until someone proves they deserve the job full time.

Did you just compare robert johnson to D.J. Shockley?

RazorHawg16

Quote from: hogman64 on July 24, 2006, 01:02:10 pm

who knows what Rojo is capable of. SEE T.Jack!

Conway Cool Daddy

Not directly, just the situation they are/were both in.

PulledPork

It's a good thing we all don't have to live by the Guv's standards..... :-\

Pulled out...

TulsaHogFan

I am not defending nor suggesting RJ start, however Drake brought a very interesting similarity to light with the issue of Campbell in Auburn a few years ago when they brought in a new OC and QB coach after he looked terrible the year before. 

The change was pretty dramatic. 

Again not defending RJ, just sharing something that interested me that Drake said.

hogman64

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on July 24, 2006, 01:03:38 pm

I am not saying Tarvaris didnt get his chances at Arkansas but in comparison  to RJ  the reps he had in practices and games was minimal.............I hope every player on our team exceeds all expectations that coaches and fans have of him including RJ , but to think that RJ is going to come on and be a quality SEC QB just seems like a huge stretch to me.........

bigred7987

QuoteDid you just compare robert johnson to D.J. Shockley?
Yes, People in Georgia hated DJ Shockley in the beginning, much like RJ here.  But with developing his talent and gaining confidence he turned into what we see him as now.  All RJ needs is confidence.  Do you people ever think as to why teams have a quarterbacks coach??? To develope their talent and help them understand their role and their job.  Alex Wood has alot of experience and I'm sure he has seen a QB with a problem such as RJ.  Just give it time before you start bad mouthing the guy, lets think about who his coach was last time and the situation he was put in. 

tbhogfan

Not everyone is a superstar their freshman year.   RJ may well develop into a solid QB at Arkansas.   He certainly has the physical tools. 

Tavaris is a perfect example of someone who looked lost earlier in their career, but worked hard and developed into a pretty decent QB as a Senior. 
Go Hogs!

mikeirwin

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 24, 2006, 01:09:35 pm
Do you people ever think as to why teams have a quarterbacks coach??? To develope their talent and help them understand their role and their job.  Alex Wood has alot of experience and I'm sure he has seen a QB with a problem such as RJ. 
Roy Wittke came in with very good credentials. I don't think Robert's problem was his position coach but we'll see.

hog caller

he had a rough time last year because there was no plan for sucess. he a roll out kind of QB that can run and has a pretty good arm if he has someone to throw to. there was no plan for that last year and the line didn't know how to pass block by their own admission. so i'm waiting to see what comes off. i think Casey deserves to start the first game. we'll know by then if he deserves the second. get rasorback mean Go Hogs.

Donald Miller

Quote from: dubyacee on July 24, 2006, 10:55:04 am

I think the difference this year is that we actually have a QB coach and OC who could teach, instill or change something that would make him effective.  Do I think he can based on what I've seen, no.  Do I trust Gus and Alex to make the correct decision, and, more importantly, the decision to put us in position to win, yes. 

Nutt couldn't put RJ in a position to succeed.  When you run on 1st and 2nd down every series and then try to throw on 3rd and long w/2 receivers in the pattern, it's hard to be successful.  Nutt hung RJ out to dry last yr, he's as much to blame for the poor performances as anyone.

EastexHawg

What...is RoJo going to transfer to a school in a conference where he plays against competition just above the Texas AA high school level?

The SWAC is not even a decent Div 1-AA conference.  If you don't believe it, check to see how long it has been since a SWAC team even won a 1-AA playoff game.

I think I'll wait to see TJack...and RoJo...do it on the field against big time competition before I fall for that hype again.

PigNewton

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 24, 2006, 01:58:37 pm

What...is RoJo going to transfer to a school in a conference where he plays against competition just above the Texas AA high school level?

The SWAC is not even a decent Div 1-AA conference.  If you don't believe it, check to see how long it has been since a SWAC team even won a 1-AA playoff game.

I think I'll wait to see TJack...and RoJo...do it on the field against big time competition before I fall for that hype again.

you won't have to wait long to see tjack doing it. all indications from the vikings workouts are tjack is better than daunte culpepper. they feel they got the steal of the draft.

EastexHawg

Maybe so.  I still think I'll wait to see it, though.

I remember all the fantastic predictions and glowing reports about TJack in the spring and fall of 2002.  We all saw how that turned out when the lights came on in the fall and the live ammunition started flying around.

Holy City Hog

Yes, People in Georgia hated DJ Shockley in the beginning, much like RJ here.  But with developing his talent and gaining confidence he turned into what we see him as now.  All RJ needs is confidence.  Do you people ever think as to why teams have a quarterbacks coach??? To develope their talent and help them understand their role and their job.  Alex Wood has alot of experience and I'm sure he has seen a QB with a problem such as RJ.  Just give it time before you start bad mouthing the guy, lets think about who his coach was last time and the situation he was put in. 

DJ Shockley was never "hated" in Ga. He's an ATL product & his Dad is a very well-respect ATL HS coach.  DJ sat until his Sr year because 1) He had nagging ankle/foot injuries & couldn't stay healthy for a full season 2) He played behind the most successful QB in NCAA history in terms of W's.

Shockley was one of the area's most highly regarding QB's out of HS.  If David Green's not at UGa during the same time Shockley would've played sooner.  He wasn't being "developed', he was waiting his turn behind a better college QB.  RJ is a great kid, but he doesn't have near the talent of Shockley.

The fact is RJ had his chance to produce last yr.  He was a 3rd yr JR who'd been in the sys.  He took all of the Spring reps.  He had no competition for the starting job.  Blame the coaches all you want, but RJ couldn't hit the open WR.  I'm afraid he needs much more than confidence.  Watch the '05 Bama game.  He continually hits their LB's with the ball. If they catch half of those it's not a close game.

Theolesnort

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 24, 2006, 01:49:34 pm
Do you people ever think as to why teams have a quarterbacks coach??? To develope their talent and help them understand their role and their job.  Alex Wood has alot of experience and I'm sure he has seen a QB with a problem such as RJ.
Roy Wittke came in with very good credentials. I don't think Robert's problem was his position coach but we'll see.
It is not the lack of execution that turned me off of Robert but the bonehead mistakes in his third year on the Hill. Running out of bounds when you are trying to run the clock out. Needing a first down desperately and flushed from the pocket he makes it by at least two yards then he reverses his field and is tackled back beyond the marker and other stuff. This guy is truly one of the absolute best athletes on the team but with the pressure that a qb has to carry you can not play in a panic mode. Few are made that can carry that kind of load when the lights come on. I have seen evidence that Robert is not one of the few.

Swiles2122

I still think that Richard Smith is still trying to chase down the pass that TJack flung up in the Boise Game. Richard is fast but not that fast.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Rookie on July 24, 2006, 02:44:49 pm

DJ Shockley was never "hated" in Ga. He's an ATL product & his Dad is a very well-respect ATL HS coach.  DJ sat until his Sr year because 1) He had nagging ankle/foot injuries & couldn't stay healthy for a full season 2) He played behind the most successful QB in NCAA history in terms of W's.

Shockley was one of the area's most highly regarding QB's out of HS.  If David Green's not at UGa during the same time Shockley would've played sooner.  He wasn't being "developed', he was waiting his turn behind a better college QB.  RJ is a great kid, but he doesn't have near the talent of Shockley.

The fact is RJ had his chance to produce last yr.  He was a 3rd yr JR who'd been in the sys.  He took all of the Spring reps.  He had no competition for the starting job.  Blame the coaches all you want, but RJ couldn't hit the open WR.  I'm afraid he needs much more than confidence.  Watch the '05 Bama game.  He continually hits their LB's with the ball. If they catch half of those it's not a close game.

RJ was a So. last season.  And I watched the Bama game.  What I saw was our OL unable to pass protect and their CB playing in our backfield all day long. It was the most unimaginative, worst offensive gameplan I can remember.  NO QB would have successful that day behind that line in that offense. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2006, 02:50:19 pm
It is not the lack of execution that turned me off of Robert but the bonehead mistakes in his third year on the Hill. Running out of bounds when you are trying to run the clock out. Needing a first down desperately and flushed from the pocket he makes it by at least two yards then he reverses his field and is tackled back beyond the marker and other stuff. This guy is truly one of the absolute best athletes on the team but with the pressure that a qb has to carry you can not play in a panic mode. Few are made that can carry that kind of load when the lights come on. I have seen evidence that Robert is not one of the few.

So give up on him with two years left and a new system and new coaches? 

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 24, 2006, 10:32:12 am
Quote from: Smithian on July 24, 2006, 09:36:40 am

You're right, RJ could be a lot better than some people think. I actually heard one person
say the Following: "I am going to the first game in Fayetteville. If RJ is the starter, I will
get up walk out of the stadium and never return". it saddens me how some people people
refuse to give RJ the chance to greatly improve. That type of behavior is totally Improper.

I wouldn't take it that far, but I would be disappointed if RJ were named starter.  He's already had a shot.  Some people have said that same thing about Mitch, and he hasn't even been given a chance yet.  How fair is that?
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

press ham

RJ was a So. last season.  And I watched the Bama game.  What I saw was our OL unable to pass protect and their CB playing in our backfield all day long. It was the most unimaginative, worst offensive gameplan I can remember.  NO QB would have successful that day behind that line in that offense. 
[/quote]
exactly, no one wants to talk about pass protection. its got to be better this year or mm won't do well either.  :razorback:

Theolesnort

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 24, 2006, 03:11:56 pm
Quote from: Theolesnort on July 24, 2006, 02:50:19 pm

So give up on him with two years left and a new system and new coaches? 
Somehow I think if TJ had been given the chances Robert has been given he would have been throwing passes to Matt. Well probably not but the point I am making is that Robert got more than a fair shot.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 24, 2006, 03:11:04 pm

I meant to say he was a 3rd yr Soph. Either way you put it he'd been on the Hill 3 yrs.  I agree about the playcalling.  Just watched that Bama game last week & "unimaginative" is the perfect word to describe it. 

However those near int's were on 3-step drops. His inability to deliver the ball had nothing to do w/ a pass-rush.  It's a accuracy/timing issue.  I suppose you could blame the WR's on that, you could blame the former QB coach, the former WR coach, the OL, etc.  At some pt you have to say it's up to the QB to make a play. Unfortunately RJ couldn't do it.  I think he's a classy kid but he's had his chances.  You don't give up on him but you have no choice but to move him to the back of the line & give reps to other QB's.

EastexHawg

I'm afraid he needs much more than confidence.  Watch the '05 Bama game.  He continually hits their LB's with the ball. If they catch half of those it's not a close game.

Exactly right.  If the 'Bama defenders hadn't apparently been eating buttered buttered toast dipped in STP oil treatment between series, that game would have been a blowout and RJ may have set a new Arkansas record for interceptions thrown in one game.

bigred7987

I also remember our WR's dropping plenty of balls and people complaining about our offense giving him no help. 

RazorRooter

Quote from: Cornhogio on July 24, 2006, 10:54:40 am
Johnson's rep seems to be that he's great in practice, not so much in the game.  I expect that if he does earn the start, he'll be on a fairly short leash. 

I tend to agree with you. RJ shows great promise in practice. But, when you turn on the lights and the real pressure is on, It seems he has a hard time making quick decisions and can't pull the trigger.

Another year of maturity may make a big difference here. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It requires a person with a different mindset to want to be put in that position as a very young man. Most 18-21 year-old men can not handle that kind of pressure well.
It is ALWAYS Hog Tyme!

Corkscrew Johnson

RJ was just a sophomore last year.   clint stoerner looked like a sheep amongst wolves his sophomore year.  he didn't start playing good ball until he was a junior, and we all know how that year turned out...

sometimes it just takes time.  i would rather have him on campus and find out, rather than write him off for good

Holy City Hog

Look I'm not here to bash RJ, he's a model citizen & a team player. He could've cried & moaned when he got pulled but he didn't. And the fact that he hasn't transfered shows he's competive.  But this is classic Rzbk fan thinking that "things will be better next yr" - why - b/c it's next yr.

How many times last seson did Ark run a play-action left, roll-out right with WR or TE running 15 yrd out & the FB curling in the flat? It seemed like our only pass play, but nevertheless it was often open due to the success of the ground game.  How many times did RJ choose to hit the FB when the WR was open downfield?

Here's a fun fact to illustrate my pt: In the 3 games following RJ's poor performance vrs Bama he became dependant on the FB in the flat. Hillis lead the team in rec's all three of those games.  Against Auburn RJ complete 17 pass . . . 7 to Hillis. At UGa RJ completed 11 . . . 5 to Hillis.  In the 4 games after RJ was pulled Hillis did not lead the team in rec's once & avg'd only 3 recs per game.  Dick found WR's open downfield on the same plays that RJ couldn't.