Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-2018 Hogs

Started by redleg, March 30, 2017, 09:16:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Looking at the roster, hoping that Macon returns for next season (I believe he will, and Barford has already said he will be back), and adding in the current incoming freshmen, I wanted to speculate on what the 2017-18 season might hold for the Hogs, who will be the leading scorer, rebounder, etc., and where this team could end up.
First of all, I think a solid starting five might be: Beard, Macon, Barford, Thompson, Gafford.
Beard will be the only true PG on the team, although Macon and Barford have shown that they can fill in at that position for stretches.
I see Macon being the second leading scorer, and the leader in 3-point shooting and free throw shooting.
I will not be surprised to see Barford average around 17 or 18 points per game, to lead the team, and maybe even be a 1st Team SEC selection.
Thompson's scoring will improve, but I see his rebounding and assists per game being more significant next year. He'll be the other true big man on the team, which might mean he may not start in order to give him more minutes in the paint in relief of Gafford. If that is the case, look for Thomas to be the starter.
Gafford is a future NBA player, and will be Arkansas' leader in rebounds and blocks per game. I will not be shocked if he averages a double-double as a freshman, say 12 ppg and 10 rpg, along with 3 or 4 blocks. An SEC All-Freshman Team selection is in order for him next year.
With 9 players returning, 6 seniors, and 3 highly touted incoming freshmen, the is no reason why next year's squad can't be a few games better than this past team. Depending on the non-conference schedule, I see a regular season of 25-6, 14-4 in SEC play, with the potential to get to 29 or 30 wins and the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tourney.
What say you, with your own ridiculously early, but fun, predictions? I am really looking forward to next year's season!!!  ;D
WPS  :razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.