Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas vs Longwood Observations

Started by RazorAg, November 19, 2012, 11:49:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

As with exhibition games, sometimes, it's risky drawing conclusions, as it relates to future success, from this type of game, so I'll just throw out some observations instead.

> If our opponent doesn't have a good PG or ballhandler, we will be in a great position to win the game. Our trapping and rotations have improved greatly already.
> Mardracus Wade is making a point to penetrate as much as possible. He's passing up open perimeter shots, his bread and butter, to do this, and I'm hoping that he adjusts his approach as we begin to play stiffer competition. We need around the same volume of makes and 40% or more from the three point line from him this year. Not enough evidence to be worried yet, IMO, but again, I'm hoping to see some adjustment.
> Kikko Haydar has been the main difference off the bench these two games. I'm interested to see if he can translate that to better competition. I have no doubt he'll play, but right now, he looks really good with that second unit.
> Really liked Rickey Scott off the bench; he had a great game. Played harder than I've ever seen and that has to have a little to do with him wanting to show Coach A something and work his way back into the starting line-up.
> Mickelson was a little less frustrating yesterday. I think if he stays in his lane, he's a solid player for us this year. Needs to not reach and get too anxious when he's playing post defense. Face up as much as possible on offense and crash the boards
> It's getting to a point that you believe every shot Ant Bell takes is going in. Surprise of the early season so far. You expect to see some newcomers to fade as we get more into the season, but he has a role and I think he'll contribute nicely, especially if Wade doesn't start doing what he should on the offensive end.
> Qualls showed his lack of polish with ball skills yesterday; this is why he will hover around the lane most of the time this year. He's a one, two dribble type of driver at best right now, and that's okay.
> I thought Ky played his role well yesterday. He's the best at getting the ball and looking up the court after a defensive board. His awareness is great. There will be a time where we need him to score more, so I hope he uses that hard drive to the FT line area, spin and fade away more.
> Dee Wagner is impressing. Total confidence in him off the bench for some minutes.
> I haven't pointed it out yet, but Coty Clarke is a really good passer. He'll need to watch the balance of being too unselfish, though.
> Another positive step for Marshawn yesterday; needs to watch the cheap fouls, though b/c he's really, really important to our halfcourt offense.
> Potential oozing from JaCorey Williams. The greatest value he will bring this year is energy and activity. By next year, we should see a productive skill player. As I told someone one last week, think this guy (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrance-Henry-18703/stats/) .

My first point was the main factor in the game yesterday. They just couldn't handle the pressure. I thought it was interesting how we didn't start off the game pressing. And, when we did, it was like the other team started messing their shorts. They just didn't have the ballhandlers.

We did what were were supposed to do yesterday. Good to have BJ back. He did what he did last year, just better. Need to do the same to Florida A&M and then give a great effort against a different Arizona State team. They have a nice little point guard in Jahii Carson, so we'll see how they handle the pressure.

The_Iceman

I compared Jacorey Williams to Terrance Henry since he committed. He isn't quite the shooter Henry was, but I believe he can get there.

widespreadsooie

I can, tell, you are, a fan, of commas.

hawgchill

Quote from: RazorAg on November 19, 2012, 11:49:27 am
As with exhibition games, sometimes, it's risky drawing conclusions, as it relates to future success, from this type of game, so I'll just throw out some observations instead.
You're one of the BEST at this RazorAG...

Thanks very much Sir
> If our opponent doesn't have a good PG or ballhandler, we will be in a great position to win the game. Our trapping and rotations have improved greatly already.
> Mardracus Wade is making a point to penetrate as much as possible. He's passing up open perimeter shots, his bread and butter, to do this, and I'm hoping that he adjusts his approach as we begin to play stiffer competition. We need around the same volume of makes and 40% or more from the three point line from him this year. Not enough evidence to be worried yet, IMO, but again, I'm hoping to see some adjustment.
> Kikko Haydar has been the main difference off the bench these two games. I'm interested to see if he can translate that to better competition. I have no doubt he'll play, but right now, he looks really good with that second unit.
> Really liked Rickey Scott off the bench; he had a great game. Played harder than I've ever seen and that has to have a little to do with him wanting to show Coach A something and work his way back into the starting line-up.
> Mickelson was a little less frustrating yesterday. I think if he stays in his lane, he's a solid player for us this year. Needs to not reach and get too anxious when he's playing post defense. Face up as much as possible on offense and crash the boards
> It's getting to a point that you believe every shot Ant Bell takes is going in. Surprise of the early season so far. You expect to see some newcomers to fade as we get more into the season, but he has a role and I think he'll contribute nicely, especially if Wade doesn't start doing what he should on the offensive end.
> Qualls showed his lack of polish with ball skills yesterday; this is why he will hover around the lane most of the time this year. He's a one, two dribble type of driver at best right now, and that's okay.
> I thought Ky played his role well yesterday. He's the best at getting the ball and looking up the court after a defensive board. His awareness is great. There will be a time where we need him to score more, so I hope he uses that hard drive to the FT line area, spin and fade away more.
> Dee Wagner is impressing. Total confidence in him off the bench for some minutes.
> I haven't pointed it out yet, but Coty Clarke is a really good passer. He'll need to watch the balance of being too unselfish, though.
> Another positive step for Marshawn yesterday; needs to watch the cheap fouls, though b/c he's really, really important to our halfcourt offense.
> Potential oozing from JaCorey Williams. The greatest value he will bring this year is energy and activity. By next year, we should see a productive skill player. As I told someone one last week, think this guy (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrance-Henry-18703/stats/) .

My first point was the main factor in the game yesterday. They just couldn't handle the pressure. I thought it was interesting how we didn't start off the game pressing. And, when we did, it was like the other team started messing their shorts. They just didn't have the ballhandlers.

We did what were were supposed to do yesterday. Good to have BJ back. He did what he did last year, just better. Need to do the same to Florida A&M and then give a great effort against a different Arizona State team. They have a nice little point guard in Jahii Carson, so we'll see how they handle the pressure.

Mrcoolhog55

I think the Hogs will have a good team this year. I also think the Hogs will Win more games ,then they lose. NCAA-YES-NIT ? YES. i THINK WE CAN SEE 22 WINS, OR MORE THIS YEAR- AT LEAST 20 WINS this year.....