Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PREPAREDNESS

Started by 12247, June 04, 2013, 09:30:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipping channels last night, I once again, came upon College Womens Softball.  Seems they have a deal with a real channel on real TV and you can see them often.  I immediately see the excitement in the game and learn its the 11th inning of the first of 3 for the National Title, OU and TENN. 

TN has just scored 3 on a homer with 2 on in the top of the 11th.  To that point its been a 1 hitter for the OU pitcher.  OU comes to bat trailing 0-3 with 3 outs to do something.  With 1 out pircher Ricketts pops up in foul territory behind first.  The wind moves the ball around and back into fair territory and the play on the ball is missed.  Ricketts, who has been schooled properly on what to do, didn't return to the dugout dejected on what appeared to be an easy out.  Instead Shes standing on 2nd base, safe.

The OU hitters gain a stance for hitting, not one you could run a 600 pound boar hog through without touching either side.  They dig in, they gain tunnel vision, they never give up.  Twice they are down to their last strike and are facing a great pitcher.  Twice they come through.  One batter streches a double into a triple at the waving of their coach.  They end the inning tied.

TN doesn't score in the top of the 12th.  OU comes to bat and the leadoff hitter gets a double.  Up comes a power hitter, Chamberlain, who, believe it or not, isn't asked to bunt the runner to third.  Hell no, Shes expected to do her job She has been trained for.
She puts one in the stands and OU wins 5-3, in 12 innings.

I realized that although I am not nesessarily a softball fan, I still enjoy just about anything competitive if the contenders have fire in their bellies, appear to have been trained, know and actually do what they have been shown to do.  We won't see any of these girls in the majors but it won't be because they didn't have heart, fire, desire, and great coaching when in college.  Both TN and OU gave everything they had trying to win. Both had success last night.  Neither deserved to lose.  It was worth watching.

Dr. Starcs

Softball is more boring than college baseball. There's virtually no offense in the world series because every game is pitcher dominated. If they'd make a rule change to allow more offense, it would greatly benefit the sport.

BigSexyHog

Some of the girls are hot.. Most are not..The hot girls are the only thing to watch especially when they have a nice brisket.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TikiHog

GM2 should be a good one tonight

dotnet

Quote from: 12247 on June 04, 2013, 09:30:26 am
Flipping channels last night, I once again, came upon College Womens Softball.  Seems they have a deal with a real channel on real TV and you can see them often. 

The CWS has every game on ESPN too and has for a number of years.  I'm not really sure your point.  Its really hard to find regional games on any espn network for womens softball.

I receive ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox Sports SW and I get from 1 to 3 ladies softball games weekly.  I haven't seen even one local college baseball game all season.  Did see part of an SEC game and 2 or 3 far west games this season.  For some reason these ladies games are on TV a lot around here and not just the OKklahoma teams.  I live in Tulsa.  The regional was offered per the newspaper on channel 253 in this area but I don't get that channel.  I guess I think it is unusual to get lots of ladies softball and zero mens baseball at the college level on what is considered an upgraded TV package.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: 12247 on June 05, 2013, 04:25:58 pm
I receive ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox Sports SW and I get from 1 to 3 ladies softball games weekly.  I haven't seen even one local college baseball game all season.  Did see part of an SEC game and 2 or 3 far west games this season.  For some reason these ladies games are on TV a lot around here and not just the OKklahoma teams.  I live in Tulsa.  The regional was offered per the newspaper on channel 253 in this area but I don't get that channel.  I guess I think it is unusual to get lots of ladies softball and zero mens baseball at the college level on what is considered an upgraded TV package.
You must not be looking very hard.  Lots or Razorback games were on TV. 

Anon2

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 04, 2013, 10:16:52 am
Softball is more boring than college baseball. There's virtually no offense in the world series because every game is pitcher dominated. If they'd make a rule change to allow more offense, it would greatly benefit the sport.

How about making them throw it overhand instead of underhand.  That way their best pitcher couldn't throw every game.