Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Top Football Players per School Spanning the Arkansas Era

Started by jbcarol, June 25, 2015, 03:02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Woody Paige: Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset
According to two sources, Manning will acknowledge his retirement decision by the end of this week

QuoteHis Bronc riding days are over; the last rodeo is done.

Peyton Manning is saying goodbye; it's been lots of fun.

According to two sources, Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.

These sources also say that Peyton, who will turn 40 on March 24, is leaving the Broncos and retiring from the game he has played competitively for 29 years.

It's implausible that Manning would opt to sign with another team for one season.

Manning's final play for the Broncos was a handoff to C.J. Anderson for 5 yards with 1:22 remaining in Super Bowl 50. Manning's first play with Denver was a handoff to Willis McGahee in the opening moments of a September game in 2012.

In between, Manning threw for 151 touchdowns and 19,062 yards.

With Manning, the Broncos won four consecutive AFC West titles. The Broncos played in two Super Bowls, winning one.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 29m29 minutes ago

Peyton Manning wants to keep playing, but teams aren't interested, per report http://sec.news/1QJ3D4c

QuoteOn ESPN's Mike & Mike radio show, Schefter said that Manning would "like to continue playing if given the choice," but he also implied that there aren't many teams ready to sign the 14-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

"In a perfect world, he'd like to keep playing. The question is who is going to give him that opportunity?" Schefter told ESPN's Mike Golic. "It's tough to identify that team right now that's willing to sign him to a deal that makes it worthwhile to him, that allows him to keep playing. Does he want to move to another city? Because I think everyone accepts and understands that he won't be back in Denver, so the question is where does he go and play?"

Schefter said that quarterback-needy teams like the Houston Texans and Los Angeles Rams aren't interested in Manning, who will turn 40 this month.

"There are a couple of other opportunities that he'll have," Schefter said. "TV has expressed interest in him and my understanding is one network would like him to be a color analyst during games and could potentially put together something. I don't know if he'd want to do that, but there are multiple teams that have already expressed interest in him working in a front office capacity. Eventually I think he winds up doing that, but not before he exhausts all options, and I think he'd like to continue playing if given the choice."

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 21h21 hours ago

Chris Low Retweeted Robert Klemko

Always heard there were two sides to every story.

Robert Klemko Verified account
‏@RobertKlemko

From Jackson to Knoxville to Lakeland, my dive into the 20-year-old Manning-Naughright saga, incl. a new witness: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-jamie-naughright-1996-incident-greg-johnson-voicemail ...

jbcarol

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 53m53 minutes ago

Broncos will have a press conference Monday to announce and honor Peyton Manning as he retires. John Elway, others will weigh in.

jbcarol

Spotrac@spotrac
Peyton Manning walks away having earned $248.7M over 18 seasons w/ the #Colts & #Broncos; the all-time leader.

jbcarol

Mark Inabinett ‏@AMarkG1 2h2 hours ago Daphne, AL

Who rivals Peyton Manning as an all-time MVP in the U.S. major pro sports? http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/03/who_rivals_peyton_manning_as_a.html ...

This guy.

P. Manning, 5-time, 5-time NFL MVP

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 19h19 hours ago

AJ McCarron tells radio show he almost transferred to #OleMiss http://ow.ly/Zbe5e 

QuoteMcCarron said he came closer to playing for Oklahoma than he previously indicated. The night before committing, he told his parents it would be the Sooners.

"Then I changed the next day," he told the Yahoo audience.

Five years later, McCarron's final collegiate game was a Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma.

McCarron, who went on to win two national championships as a starter, almost never made it to that position.

"When I got there, I thought about transferring to Ole Miss when, towards the end of my freshman year," McCarron said. "I really thought about transferring. I had to talk that over and I ended up staying and everything worked out."

No follow-up questions were asked on the radio show, but McCarron responded via Twitter when asked by AL.com why he considered leaving Alabama.

"Same reason every young kid goes through when he gets to college you just want to play right then. Nothing big at all," McCarron said.

McCarron redshirted his first season in which Alabama won the 2009 national championship. He became the primary backup to Greg McElroy in 2010 before taking over the top job from 2011-13. Top recruit Phillip Sims was set to arrive in Tuscaloosa the spring of 2010 to begin the competition that was resolved more than a year later.

Ole Miss was then coached by Houston Nutt.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2h2 hours ago

Former Mizzou QB Chase Daniel inks deal with new NFL team http://sec.news/1TLN9PS

Adam Schefter Verified account@AdamSchefter

Eagles and QB Chase Daniel agreed in principle on multi-year deal, per @caplannfl and me. Daniel reuniting with Doug Pederson.

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 47m47 minutes ago

.@MSpear96 on Dak Prescott: He's the best player to ever don the @HailStateFB uniform. I'm a firm believer of that.

Peter Burns ‏@PeterBurnsESPN 2h2 hours ago

Hosting @HailStateFB Pro Day on @SECNetwork starting at 10am EST with @mspear96 & @KevinW_ESPN...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3h3 hours ago

Nick Saban's 50 Best Players: All-Saban Team http://sec.news/1U1TW8h

QuoteQuarterback (beat out John Parker)

AJ McCarron, Alabama (starter)
    Greg McElroy, Alabama

Running back

Derrick Henry, Alabama (starter)
    Trent Richardson, Alabama
    Mark Ingram, Alabama

Wide receiver

Amari Cooper, Alabama (starter)
    Josh Reed, LSU (starter)
    Plaxico Burress, Michigan State (starter)
    Julio Jones, Alabama
    Michael Clayton, LSU

Tight end

O.J. Howard, Alabama (starter)
    Robert Royal, LSU

Defensive end

Marcus Spears, LSU (starter)
    Julian Peterson, Michigan State (starter)
    Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
    A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama

Inside linebacker

C.J. Mosley, Alabama (starter)
    Rolando McClain, Alabama (starter)
    Reggie Ragland, Alabama
    Ike Reese, Michigan State

Kicker

Paul Edinger, Michigan State (starter)
    Leigh Tiffin, Alabama

jbcarol

Former LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne selling SEC Championship ring on eBay

QuoteClaiborne's 2011 SEC Championship ring is for sale, according to NOLA.com's Jim Kleinpeter. The fifth-year pro is selling his ring for $100,000 on eBay.

Claiborne completed his fourth season with the Dallas Cowboys. He was drafted sixth overall by Dallas in the 2012 NFL Draft after winning the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back in 2011. His NFL career hasn't lived up to the potential thus far.

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 7h7 hours ago

Voting in our #SECQBs bracket starts today! Who is the best @SEC QB of all time?

jbcarol

jbcarol

BATON ROUGE – NFL Hall of Famer Brett Favre along with former LSU all-America Marcus Spears will be two of the headline speakers at this year's LSU Football Coaches Clinic, which takes place March 31-April 2 on the LSU campus.

QuoteSpears, who helped LSU to the 2003 national title and later went on to become a first round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys, opens the clinic on Thursday night when he addresses the coaches at 7:30 at the Maravich Center. LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda follows Spears on stage...

SEC Network Studio and Game Day Analyst.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 19m19 minutes ago

Indianapolis Colts will erect statue of Peyton Manning http://sec.news/1RraNdK

jbcarol

Coming home:

Michael Casagrande ‏@ByCasagrande 19h19 hours ago

Former Alabama lineman @ThaMonstar Jesse Williams at practice today.

Michael Casagrande ‏@ByCasagrande 19h19 hours ago

Derrick Henry came out to watch some Alabama football practice.

jbcarol

Jay Cutler goes into Vanderbilt's Hall of Fame during spring game

QuoteCutler, 32, is one of only two Vanderbilt players since 1986 to be selected in the first round of the NFL draft. While with the Commodores, Cutler started 45 games and was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year as a senior, despite playing for a 5-6 team (robbed down in Gainesville).

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks 14h14 hours ago

Jay Cutler inducted into Vandy Hall of Fame

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 3h3 hours ago

When you talk #Alabama's top @NFL rushers, it's Shaun Alexander and then everyone else: http://ow.ly/Yuzob

Rk                           G      GS      Att    Yds ▾   TD   Y/A   Y/G
1    Shaun Alexander123    96    2187 9453    100    4.3    76.9
2    Wilbur Jackson    94    74    971    3852    13    4.0    41.0

jbcarol

Alabama Crimson Tide All-Time NFL Draft Team

QuoteQB – Joe Namath, 1965, New York Jets, 1st round, 1st pick overall
RB – Shaun Alexander, 2000, Seattle, 1st round, 19th pick overall
WR – Julio Jones, 2011, Atlanta, 1st round, 6th pick overall
TE – Ozzie Newsome, 1978, Cleveland, 1st round, 23rd pick overall
OL – John Hannah, 1973, New England, 1st round, 4th pick overall

DL – Marcell Dareus, 2011, Buffalo, 1st round 3rd pick overall
LB – Cornelius Bennett, 1987, Indianapolis*, 1st round, 2nd pick overall
LB – Lee Roy Jordan, 1963, Dallas, 1st round, 6th pick overall
LB – Derrick Thomas, 1989, Kansas City, 1st round, 4th pick overall

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 1h1 hour ago

Highest Drafted Players in @OleMissFB History:

*Tunsil projected to go No. 1 overall in 2016 NFL Draft.

jbcarol

jbcarol

LSU Football ‏@LSUfootball 2h2 hours ago

Imagine @mspear96 as the lead blocker for @_fournette. They teamed up for a demo that will air on @SECNetwork

jbcarol

Former Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy said he was innocent in the case regarding the assault of his ex-girlfriend Nicole Holder

Quote"I've never put my hand on any women," Hardy said in the interview. "In my whole entire life, no sir. That's just how we we're raised. As you can tell, like I said again, it's the Bible belt. It's just something that's, I wouldn't even say frowned upon, just something that's nonexistent in most southern homes."

Hardy was convicted on charges of domestic violence in 2014, but the case was thrown out during the appeals process in February 2015 when Holder stopped cooperating with authorities.

During the interview, Schefter asked Hardy to explain how he did nothing wrong when there are pictures of Holder, which seem to indicate that foul play was involved.

"I will stop you there and say that I didn't say that I didn't do anything wrong," Hardy said. "That situation occurred and that situation was handled, but saying that I did nothing wrong is a stretch. But saying that I am innocent is correct. Yessir."

Schefter looked to clarify things further by asking, "Did you ever put your hands on her?"

"No sir," Hardy said.

He is currently a free agent.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 1h1 hour ago

Daniel Carlson had a banner sophomore year. Here's what he's focused on now: http://ow.ly/10kIll

QuoteAuburn's returning placekicker set a pair of school records and was named one of three Lou Groza Award finalists. Where would the Tigers be without him?

Carlson feels little pressure and is focused more on the mental side of his game than the physical side. While Carlson made 27 kicks last year and only missed four, two of them were inside the 20-29 yard range.

"A lot of fundamentals," Carlson said. "I missed two short kicks. Muscle memory will clean those up. A lot of it is mental. I need to be focused. I'm just trying to mature in that sense."

Carlson and his teammates are taking of advantage of the increased reps they have this spring to work out the kinks.

"(I can) kick my leg out a little bit extra because I don't have a game I'm trying to be fresh for," Carlson said. "I'm happy with where I'm at right now. The snap, hold and kick is nice and smooth and the line's doing a great job blocking up front. I think we're learning a lot, improving and hopefully it will pay off next season."

Carlson isn't ruling out the possibility of kicking professionally. He's curious to see how Florida State's Roberto Aguayo fares in the NFL Draft after becoming the first kicker in 16 year to forego his senior season. Carlson has also remained in touch with former Auburn kicker Cody Parkey.

"He's had a difficult journey," Carlson said of Parkey. "The first year he was a Pro Bowler and then he gets hurt. Now he's on IR (injured reserve.)

"I'm just going to get my degree, I'm graduating this summer and then hopefully I'll get an MBA here or something. If football works out, it works out, but I'm going to try and have four solid years playing here and hopefully break some records along the way, you never know. I'm just going to do what I can to help the team. I'm really enjoying it here. I'm happy to be here."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 8h8 hours ago

NFL Draft: The SEC's greatest draft steals since 2000 http://sec.news/22gNxp5

1) Hillis was a member of Arkansas' three-headed monster backfield from a decade ago, featuring Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

2) With the Browns in 2010, Hillis incredibly tallied 1,654 total yards (1,177 rushing) and 13 touchdowns — a breakout campaign for the former seventh-round pick.

3) The following summer, Hillis made the cover of the popular "NFL Madden 12"

jbcarol

Could the recently-retired Peyton Manning be on his way to the broadcast booth? If he heeds the advice of longtime broadcaster John Madden, the answer will be no.

QuoteMadden advised Manning to "get a piece of ownership or go the Elway route"...

[Manning] is reportedly considering an offer from CBS Sports to be an analyst alongside play-by-play man Jim Nantz.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 12h12 hours ago

Jalen Hurd could have a career-worst season this fall as a junior and still break #Vols' career rushing record.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 16h16 hours ago

That crazy Percy Harvin state title game: http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-school/harvin-still-cherishes-landstown-state-title/article_9305c278-a6c1-5c8a-8d47-6183def3ba09.html ... Won Pop Warner national title, state title, two BCS titles, Super Bowl.

He's been a winner at every level.

QuotePercy Harvin already was a sought-after football recruit by the time his Landstown High team entered University of Richmond Stadium for the Group AAA Division 6 championship game.

Fast, flashy and elusive, he had shown glimpses of superstardom throughout his junior season and was on just about every college's most-wanted list.

But on that December afternoon - 10 years ago this week - Harvin cemented his stature as a high school football legend.

He piled up 476 all-purpose yards, including 292 on offense, scored five touchdowns and intercepted three passes in a 47-20 victory over James Robinson.

His remarkable game - on Dec. 11, 2004 - capped a 14-0 season for the Eagles and gave the Beach District its first football state champion.

While Harvin has since won two NCAA national titles and a Super Bowl, he holds fond memories of one of his earliest championships.

Virginia's Shabazz

jbcarol

Former Alabama star RB Eddie Lacy returns to Packers after intense weight-loss program

QuoteLacy disappointed many Packers fans and fantasy owners last season. In addition to his performance decline, Lacy faced questions about his weight and conditioning, even publicly from Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

After an offseason training with Tony Horton, founder of the popular workout system "P90X," Lacy may be back to his old self.

"I was going to crack a joke, but I won't. He looked good," Packers receiver Jordy Nelson said Monday.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

SEC Football Colour by Numbers; NFL Draft Edition

Quote4 Consecutive NFL drafts have included at least one Alabama linebacker, with Reggie Ragland expected to continue the streak this year. Alabama has had a streak of five drafts with a linebacker picked, from 1979 through 1983 when Rich Wingo, Barry Krauss, Wayne Hamilton, E.J. Junior, Thomas Boyd and Robbie Jones were selected. In the current streak, Courtney Upshaw, Dont'a Hightower, Nico Johnson, C.J. Mosley and Xzavier Dickson have been drafted.

7 SEC players have been the first offensive interior lineman selected in an NFL Draft, an honor that could go to Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil in 2016. The SEC players who have been the first offensive linemen selected in a draft are Auburn OT Greg Robinson (drafted second overall by the Rams in 2014), Alabama OT Chris Samuels (third by the Redskins in 2000), Georgia T Bernard Williams (14th by the Eagles in 1994), Tennessee T Charles McRae (seventh by the Buccaneers in 1991), Tennessee T Steve Delong (sixth by the Bears in 1965), Ole Miss T Jim Dunaway (third by the Vikings in 1963) and Alabama C Vaughn "Cisco" Mancha (fifth by the NY Yanks in 1948).

8 NFL drafts have passed since an Auburn linebacker was picked. This is the longest position drought on the defensive side of the ball in the SEC...

9 SEC players have been the first wide receiver selected in an NFL Draft, an honor that could go to Ole Miss' Laquon Treadwell in this year's draft. The SEC  players who were the first WR selected include Alabama's Amari Cooper (chosen fourth in 2015 by the Raiders), Georgia's A.J. Green (fourth in 2011 by the Bengals), Tennessee's Donte Stallworth (13th in 2002 by the Saints), Florida's Ike Hilliard (seventh in 1997 by the Giants), Auburn's Alexander Wright (26th in 1990 by the Cowboys), Tennessee's Willie Gault (18th in 1983 by the Bears), Tennessee's Anthony Hancock (11th in 1982 by the Chiefs), Florida's Wes Chandler (third in 1978 by the Saints) and Tennessee's Stanley Morgan (25th in 1977 by the Patriots).

12 Consecutive NFL drafts have included an LSU defensive lineman – a streak that is likely to end this year. LSU defensive linemen who have been drafted during the streak are Marcus Spears, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams, Melvin Oliver, Chase Pittman, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Ricky Jean-Francois, Al Woods, Drake Nevis, Lazarius Levingston, Michael Brockers, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery, Lavar Edwards, Bennie Logan, Ego Ferguson and Danielle Hunter.

12 Players from the SEC have been the first center selected in the NFL Draft, an honor expected to go to Alabama's Ryan Kelly this year. Florida's Maurkice Pouncey in 2010, Ole Miss' Chris Spencer in 2005, LSU's Kevin Mawae in 1994, Kentucky's Dermontti Dawson in 1988, Tennessee's Robert Shaw in 1979, Auburn's Lee Gross in 1975, Tennessee's Bob Johnson in 1968, Kentucky's Irv Goode in 1962, Georgia Tech's Larry Morris in 1955, Ole Miss' Ed Beatty in 1954, LSU's George Tarasovic in 1952 and Alabama's Vaughn "Cisco" Mancha (Yankees) in 1948 are the SEC players who were the first centers selected in their draft years.

13 SEC players have been the first defensive lineman selected in an NFL Draft, an honor that could go to Alabama's A'Shawn Robinson or Jarran Reed. The SEC players who have been the first defensive linemen selected in a draft are Kentucky's Bob Gain (drafted fifth overall in 1951 by the Packers), Tennessee's Doug Atkins (11th in 1953 by the Browns), LSU's Earl Leggett (13th in 1957 by the Bears), Kentucky's Art Still (second in 1978 by the Chiefs), Alabama's Mike Pitts (16th in 1983 by the Falcons), Alabama's John Copeland (fifth in 1993 by the Bengals), Florida's Kevin Carter (sixth in 1995 by the Rams), LSU's Anthony McFarland (15th in 1999 by the Buccaneers), Florida's Gerald Warren (third in 2001 by the Browns), Kentucky's Dewayne Robertson (fourth in 2003 by the Jets), LSU's Tyson Jackson (third in 2009 by the Chiefs) Alabama's Marcell Dareus (third in 2011 by the Bills) and South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney (first in 2014 by the Texans). That list contains only players designated as DT or DE by their drafting teams. Three more SEC players can safely be added to the first-defensive-lineman-to-be-drafted list even though they were designated only with a T for tackle on draft day -- Kentucky's Lou Michaels (fourth in 1958 by the Rams), Ole Miss' Jim Dunaway (third in 1963 by the Vikings) and Tennessee's Steve DeLong (sixth in 1965 by the Bears).

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling Apr 28

Nkemdiche is the first Ole Miss defensive lineman to be drafted since Jerrell Powe went to Kansas City in 2011.

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling Apr 28

Treadwell is first Ole Miss wide receiver taken in first round. The previous highest: Dexter McCluster in 2010 (36th overall pick).

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 4m4 minutes ago

One last time, @15_DakP makes @HailStateFB history.

Dak Prescott: The 1st Mississippi State QB drafted since 1979.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  39m39 minutes ago
Former UGA offensive lineman Cordy Glenn signs $65 million contract with Buffalo Bills

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
‏@wesrucker247

Former #Vols star Willie Gault, who is 55 YEARS OLD, broke the 55-up 100m (11.30 secs) and 200m (23.24) world records. Dude can still fly.

jbcarol

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago

An ACL hasn't changed the plans: #AZCardinals are deep in negotiations for an extension for Tyrann Mathieu, soon to be highest paid safety

jbcarol

Debating the SEC's best quarterbacks in the past decade

QuoteGreg Ostendorf: I can make a case for Dak Prescott as one of the five best quarterbacks. He broke every record in school history and made a middling Mississippi State program relevant in the SEC. If you put Aaron Murray or AJ McCarron in Prescott's shoes, do they have the same success? Probably not.

My biggest gripe might be the order of those five quarterbacks. Obviously, Tim Tebow belongs at No. 1. Nobody is arguing that. But Johnny Manziel over Cam Newton? I realize that Manziel played two seasons to Newton's one. I get that they both won Heisman Trophies. Newton won a national championship, though.

David Ching: Oddly enough, I appeared on a radio show in Arkansas last week to discuss my quarterback rankings and one of the hosts was former Razorbacks quarterback Tyler Wilson. My heart sank as soon as I heard his name because I nearly included him on the "just missed the cut" list -- his SEC-high 3,638 yards in 2011 certainly deserved a mention -- before ultimately leaving him off. Thankfully he didn't take it out on me on the air. My apologies, Tyler, if you read this.

We discussed another valid criticism of my top five on that radio show, however: Matthew Stafford's exclusion from the list. Stafford was one of two No. 1 overall NFL draft picks who I left off (the other was LSU's JaMarcus Russell). Obviously if you go only by pro-caliber talent, players like Tebow, Murray and McCarron don't measure up to quarterbacks whose overwhelming abilities made them the first picks in their respective drafts.

Ostendorf: I love the story about Wilson. And I agree that he probably should have been on the "just missed the cut" list. He led the SEC in passing yards per game in both 2011 and 2012, finishing ahead of guys like McCarron and Murray.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/733669902507233280

QuoteLou Groza Award finalist will try to improve on his exception (sic) sophomore campaign in 2015, during which he made four field goals of 50-plus yards.

After a year of showcasing long range, Carlson focused on short kicks in the spring due to two misses last season, though one was due to a bad hold.

Daniel Carlson (6-foot-4, 213 pounds, junior)
Carlson was 23 for 27 on field goals and ranked fifth nationally in touchback percentage (71.01 percent) on kickoffs.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/734054429951987712

QuoteOn May 10, "Jason Campbell" tweeted that he was ready to make his NFL return in 2016. Many media outlets saw the tweet and reported the news. One problem: th...