Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou basketball and transfers

Started by exit19, March 10, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 17, 2013, 03:40:08 pm
transfers suck as a way of building a team...once you start into that process it keeps your recruting numbers screwed up...AU is and used to doing the same thing and they can never develop young talent
It wasn't what was wanted, but what was needed.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 17, 2013, 04:15:33 pm
I didn't say anything about building a team with transfers. I said "retool." He's filling in gaps with transfers while he gets it going with prep players. I think it's worked out fairly well for them so far. It doesn't work out for a lot of coaches, which is why I gave credit to Haith. Logically, it stands to reason that bringing in players with college experience would be beneficial. Just have to find the right guys and make it work. Fred Hoiberg does the same thing and he's not ISU rocking right now.

Agree to disagree.
I would NEVER build a program on transfers or one and dones.  However, if you have to you have to.  Haith had no choice.  I like your comparison to ISU which is spot on.

99toLife

Quote from: mizzouman on December 17, 2013, 04:41:10 pm
There was NO recruiting the last year CMA was there.
That is a fact. I think CMA knew he had a deal with Arkansas a year before he left. If he pulls that in the future Hogville will implode.

donkey

I thought that Mizzou was in good shape with Otto Porter before Anderson left, maybe not though.

As for transfers, I don't know how you get any continuity doing it that way.  One and dones don't give that either, but they're one-and-dones and just out talent everyone.  They've been good players at Mizzou, but not great ones.  And the team last year was wildly inconsistent down the stretch. 

At some point Haith will have to bite the bullet and actually build his program.  Is he willing to take the step back that is usually necessary to get this done?  Will Alden allow him the time for that?  If not, and he gets fired or otherwise moves on, it will be a heck of a mess for whoever comes in after him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: donkey on December 17, 2013, 05:15:03 pm
I thought that Mizzou was in good shape with Otto Porter before Anderson left, maybe not though.

As for transfers, I don't know how you get any continuity doing it that way.  One and dones don't give that either, but they're one-and-dones and just out talent everyone.  They've been good players at Mizzou, but not great ones.  And the team last year was wildly inconsistent down the stretch. 

At some point Haith will have to bite the bullet and actually build his program.  Is he willing to take the step back that is usually necessary to get this done?  Will Alden allow him the time for that?  If not, and he gets fired or otherwise moves on, it will be a heck of a mess for whoever comes in after him.

How is he not building his program?

He has 4 star freshmen Wes Clark and Jonathan Williams III. He has Shane Rector, who is a decent freshman PG that had a solid offer list. Same with freshman PF Torren Jones. He has has sophomore post Ryan Rosburg. He's building his team. And he currently has the #27 recruiting class for 2014 per Rivals (#25 per 247 Sports and Scout) with two top 100 players.

I really don't appreciate you guys putting me in the position to defend Frank Haith and the Missouri Tigers but this is getting ridiculous. You'd think Haith was running the program into the ground, but I think he's maintaining the average level of success Anderson had. He's really not doing a bad job up there. You guys need to try and be objective.

nextlevel

Haith hasn't improved on all of Mizzou fans complaints about Anderson.

He has been 1 and done in the tourney and Mizzou fans got quite about road wins all the sudden after Haith's 2 win performance last season...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

99toLife

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 17, 2013, 06:12:34 pm
How is he not building his program?

He has 4 star freshmen Wes Clark and Jonathan Williams III. He has Shane Rector, who is a decent freshman PG that had a solid offer list. Same with freshman PF Torren Jones. He has has sophomore post Ryan Rosburg. He's building his team. And he currently has the #27 recruiting class for 2014 per Rivals (#25 per 247 Sports and Scout) with two top 100 players.

I really don't appreciate you guys putting me in the position to defend Frank Haith and the Missouri Tigers but this is getting ridiculous. You'd think Haith was running the program into the ground, but I think he's maintaining the average level of success Anderson had. He's really not doing a bad job up there. You guys need to try and be objective.
OH NO, you speak logic concerning another team.  You are DOOMED!  ;)

Fayettechill14

Quote from: 99toLife on December 17, 2013, 04:50:49 pm
That is a fact. I think CMA knew he had a deal with Arkansas a year before he left. If he pulls that in the future Hogville will implode.

He knew Pelphrey was going to be fired the year before it happened? Heck, many in the national media believed Pel deserved another year. His firing, while not completely unsurprising, was not a foregone conclusion (like the John L. Smith fiasco).

Fayettechill14

For the record, there are two extremes on Haith and both need to go away.

He reminds me of Kevin Sumlin...made a huge impact his first season and looked like a juggernaut, and then fell back to Earth in year two. Now he looks more like a good coach than a great coach, as he was initially labeled. Missouri is a good enough program, Haith a good enough coach, and the SEC a down enough league, for Mizzou to remain in the top 5-6 of the conference annually for the foreseeable future. I don't see Haith reaching an Elite Eight any time soon, but I also see them at least competing for the Dance every year.

twistitup

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 17, 2013, 11:19:05 pm
He knew Pelphrey was going to be fired the year before it happened? Heck, many in the national media believed Pel deserved another year. His firing, while not completely unsurprising, was not a foregone conclusion (like the John L. Smith fiasco).

I actually think they were just keeping Pel until they knew they had Mike.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

blu

I am a life long Hog fan, but I have lived in MO for the past 22 years and like Mizzou, my wife is a big Tiger fan. Anyone who thinks we will destroy Mizzou this year in basketball is highly delusional. After CMA's last class left, I was convinced Mizzou would be mediocre at best, but Haith had talented transfers who meshed well with his few returning mainly senior players and he had a better year than we have had in a long long time. Same exact thing for coming into this season, thought Mizzou was going to suck. Again, he is proving he can assemble talented players and win ball games. Clarkson on our team would make us at least a sweet 16 team if not final four. And J-Will III is an incredible blue collar rebounding machine. I believe we would all take Mizzou's past two season records over ours. But Haith is going to need to get past the first round in the dance before long, or his seat may start getting hot. And CMA may have longer term success.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: blu on December 18, 2013, 05:16:05 am
I am a life long Hog fan, but I have lived in MO for the past 22 years and like Mizzou, my wife is a big Tiger fan. Anyone who thinks we will destroy Mizzou this year in basketball is highly delusional. After CMA's last class left, I was convinced Mizzou would be mediocre at best, but Haith had talented transfers who meshed well with his few returning mainly senior players and he had a better year than we have had in a long long time. Same exact thing for coming into this season, thought Mizzou was going to suck. Again, he is proving he can assemble talented players and win ball games. Clarkson on our team would make us at least a sweet 16 team if not final four. And J-Will III is an incredible blue collar rebounding machine. I believe we would all take Mizzou's past two season records over ours. But Haith is going to need to get past the first round in the dance before long, or his seat may start getting hot. And CMA may have longer term success.
Arkansas is a matchup nightmare for mu.  Not to mention they'll be out for blood after the fiasco in como last year.

littlerockhawg

Quote from: nextlevel on December 17, 2013, 06:15:18 pm

He has been 1 and done in the tourney and Mizzou fans got quite about road wins all the sudden after Haith's 2 win performance last season...

What's sad is 2 road wins is double the amount Anderson has had since he's been here and Haith did it after losing four starters, then on top of that losing arguable their best player during the season.  Hopefully we can reach the 2 road win plateau this year..... 

dgfclt

Quote from: nextlevel on December 17, 2013, 06:15:18 pm

Haith is doing a complete rebuild and had to do it with transfers to balance out the classes as he was left with basically Pressey last year.  Bowers should have used his eligibility up the previous year but was granted a redshirt injury year.  Eventually he will weed out needing transfers when he has 4 year kids in the system.  16-34 in true road games during Anderson's 5 year tenure at Missouri, most coming in the first few years.

nextlevel

Quote from: dgfclt on December 18, 2013, 09:07:33 pm
Haith is doing a complete rebuild and had to do it with transfers to balance out the classes as he was left with basically Pressey last year.  Bowers should have used his eligibility up the previous year but was granted a redshirt injury year.  Eventually he will weed out needing transfers when he has 4 year kids in the system.  16-34 in true road games during Anderson's 5 year tenure at Missouri, most coming in the first few years.

Haith could have signed some players during the late period his first year there, it isn't uncommon for players to be signed during this period or the NCAA would have the late signing period.

These players would be Juniors now.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jbcarol

Former Missouri forward Stefan Jankovic will be transferring to Hawaii, according to a report from Brian McInnis of the Honoplulu Star-Advertiser. Jankovic transferred out of Missouri last month

QuoteAnother former Missouri player, Negus Webster-Chan, has already transferred to Hawaii. The Rainbows also have a freshman big man on their roster named Stefan Jovanovic.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Cam Biedscheid, the 2011-12 St. Louis Post-Dispatch high school basketball player of the year, has been in touch with Missouri's coaches about possibly joining the Tigers.

Biedscheid asked to be released from his scholarship at Notre Dame earlier this week and has since been granted permission to contact other schools, the South Bend Tribune dutifully reported (unlike the T'eo fabrication).

Quotend his mother have been in touch with Missouri coach Frank Haith and assistant Tim Fuller, a source close to the situation told the Post-Dispatch. The former Cardinal Ritter standout is expected to visit Mizzou after the Tigers return from Saturday's game at North Carolina State.

Biedscheid, widely regarded the best player in Missouri when he signed with Notre Dame, has not appeared in any games for the Fighting Irish this season after deciding to redshirt.

Mike Brey: "I think it's going to be a slower process for him."

St. Louis U. may also be in the mix.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 3h
Just spoke to Cam Biedscheid. He was just admitted to Missouri. "It's just a good fit for me."

Cam Biedscheid ‏@CamBiedscheid 7h
I have not made any decision yet or talked to anybody and said I am going anywhere for sure.

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 2h
Lot of signs that Cam Biedscheid will end up at #Mizzou but his father told me 45 minutes ago there was nothing to report at this time

mizzouman

Done with Cam. He will transfer to Mizzou.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 5h
Here's the latest: Biedscheid plans to transfer to Missouri http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/biedscheid-plans-to-transer-to-mizzou/article_3c5721c8-9a25-5d55-a1ab-a0f6b25a0c8a.html ...

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 6h
FYI, Biedscheid is pronounced BEED-shide

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 27m
Haith on Cam Biedscheid joining team: "He is a talented young man from a great family and his addition gets us back into St. Louis where they play fantastic basketball at the high school and AAU levels. His skill set fits our program ..."

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on January 08, 2014, 10:53:44 pm
Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 27m
Haith on Cam Biedscheid joining team: "He is a talented young man from a great family and his addition gets us back into St. Louis where they play fantastic basketball at the high school and AAU levels. His skill set fits our program ..."
Missouri player of the year averaging over 30 points per game his senior year. 

jbcarol

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/missouri

This chart shows the Missouri roster and prospects with the impact of transfers including Biedscheid and Zach Price.

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on January 12, 2014, 05:18:14 pm
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/missouri

This chart shows the Missouri roster and prospects with the impact of transfers including Biedscheid and Zach Price.
Duece Bello.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  31m
A factor I don't buy for attendance issues: too many transfers. MU's best players are transfers; fans rip Rosburg to no end - not a transfer

Steven Waterkotte ‏@Criminallaw20  13m
@Dave_Matter 100% agree. If a team of transfers are winning, fans will embrace despite the transfers. Lazy excuse.

Kevin Gehl ‏@KevinGehlWLNS  10m
@Dave_Matter: It's all nonsense. If #Mizzou was undefeated, arena would be packed, nobody would care where Jabari came from. Wins cure all.

Ben Herrold ‏@benherrold  15m
@Dave_Matter A better noncon could help fans get into hoops mode sooner. 2 ranked noncon opponents in Mizzou Arena history isn't enough.

Brett Begemann ‏@mizzou1983  16m
@Dave_Matter 6 pm weekday starts tough for STL fans

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 08, 2014, 10:48:14 am
Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  31m
A factor I don't buy for attendance issues: too many transfers. MU's best players are transfers; fans rip Rosburg to no end - not a transfer

Steven Waterkotte ‏@Criminallaw20  13m
@Dave_Matter 100% agree. If a team of transfers are winning, fans will embrace despite the transfers. Lazy excuse.

Kevin Gehl ‏@KevinGehlWLNS  10m
@Dave_Matter: It's all nonsense. If #Mizzou was undefeated, arena would be packed, nobody would care where Jabari came from. Wins cure all.

Ben Herrold ‏@benherrold  15m
@Dave_Matter A better noncon could help fans get into hoops mode sooner. 2 ranked noncon opponents in Mizzou Arena history isn't enough.

Brett Begemann ‏@mizzou1983  16m
@Dave_Matter 6 pm weekday starts tough for STL fans

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  Feb 8
Mizzou Arena will see bigger crowds Thursday vs Arkansas, Saturday vs Tenn. But noticeable lack of buzz in building most games

J Merlotti ‏@JMerlotti  Feb 8
@Dave_Matter parking also a big issue.  Few lots open for hoops-even season ticket holders walk half mile in winter.  Fix it Alden.

Jason Becking ‏@jbecking  Feb 8
@JMerlotti @Dave_Matter late to convo, but this is a big factor. It is really hard to get to the games for most. Parking, traffic flow

Tom Jarvis ‏@Tom_Howie_Jarv  Feb 8
@jbecking @Dave_Matter @JMerlotti When I was a student, a huge factor was having to walk up that hill when it was freezing and windy

jbcarol

The crowd at Mizzou Arena is expected to be a little short of capacity Thursday night when the Missouri basketball team plays host to Arkansas and former Coach Mike Anderson.

A 6 p.m. tipoff will be partly to blame, but the game could have tipped off at 3 in the morning last season and there would have been people lined up to boo him.

I don't sense the same excitement, or perhaps venom, driving MU fans' interest in this game the way there was a year ago when Anderson was back on the bench at his former home for the first time.

I think being another year removed from his abrupt departure has helped lessen the anger those fans felt toward Anderson...

That doesn't mean Anderson should expect a warm reception, nor is he.

Impact of Transfers:
Point guard Jordan Clarkson received much of the credit afterward for his handling of the Razorbacks' pressure. He finished with six assists and only three turnovers in 36 minutes and time and again got the ball to Jabari Brown and Earnest Ross in prime scoring positions, particularly in the second half, when they combined for 35 of the team's 39 points.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/courtside_view/what-to-watch-for-arkansas/article_f3753566-94c7-11e3-bebf-0017a43b2370.html

Mizzou is trying to end a three-game losing streak

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  1h
Mike Anderson said he told his team, "We didn't lose this game. We just ran out of time."

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  10h
Westboro Baptist Church tells me they will have 14 people at @Mizzou tomorrow before the basketball game against Tennessee.

dgfclt

Quote from: exit19 on March 10, 2012, 07:00:06 pm
1) if Haith is the reason for Mizzou's turnaround, why was he such an awful coach at Miami?  He never got above .500 in league play in 8 years in the ACC.  Both Stan and Pel could even get above .500.   So why did he wait until showing up in Columbia to start coaching 'good'?   What was he waiting on in Miami?  Was he not trying?  Or was he trying, and failing?

2) if the answer to the above is "he has better players at Mizzou", who brought those players to Missouri in the first place?   and, not having good players in Miami Florida of all places falls on Haith, if that's the reason.  so if he has a track record of poor recruiting, how will he suddenly become an awesome recruiter?  Again, what was Haith waiting on, if he has this great recruiting ability deep down inside?

It's strange.  the way Mizzou fans on here talk, Frank Haith is 10 times the coach and 10 times the recruiter Mike Anderson was.   BUT IF THIS IS TRUE - Why didn't he coach or recruit at Miami? What was he waiting on?

Serious question for the Mizzou trolls.  Because to me it seems illogical, or even irrational.  So I'd like to know y'alls take.

I don't know the answer to all of that stuff and Haith seems like a chump but in looking at their basketball history it is pretty much on par.  6 winning conf records in the last 23 years and currently sitting at 3-8.  Personally I don't think that school cares about anything but football.  If I lived down there not sure I would be sitting at basketball games either.

dgfclt

Quote from: jbcarol on February 13, 2014, 10:15:49 pm
Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  1h
Mike Anderson said he told his team, "We didn't lose this game. We just ran out of time."

Please tell me he didn't say that.

dgfclt

Quote from: nextlevel on December 18, 2013, 09:14:35 pm
Haith could have signed some players during the late period his first year there, it isn't uncommon for players to be signed during this period or the NCAA would have the late signing period.

These players would be Juniors now.

That wasn't going to happen.  Basketball signing is a heck of a lot different than football.  If a player is any good you better be recruiting them in the 8th and 9th grades.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  51m
From today's P-D: Mizzou needs help from supporting cast vs Tennessee http://m.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tigers-need-help-from-supporting-cast/article_f67aced1-8ce0-58e6-bbfc-3a5b2e2a7980.html?mobile_touch=true ...

Photo: Chris Lee, Post-Dispatch

jbcarol

Vols 59   Mizzou 62  6:00

Transfers Brown and Ross have combined for 32 for Mizzou.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 14, 2014, 09:17:57 pm
Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  10h
Westboro Baptist Church tells me they will have 14 people at @Mizzou tomorrow before the basketball game against Tennessee.

Dani Wex ‏@DaniWex  2h
Makes me nauseous to see the group outside the MATC spitting on the American flag and dragging it on the ground. Preaching hate is wrong

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik  46s
Brown scored 24 and comes up with big steal late as #Mizzou beats Tennessee for second straight win.

tigerinhogtown

Part of CFH failure at Miami has to do with his previous location.  He was Tx lead recruiter, that doesn't help much at Miami, he had no contacts / connections in the area. 

BTW, his record at Miami was 129-101 with 4 NIT appearances and 1 NCAAT look.  Not all that bad for a football school.

Should he get credit for what his players did at Miami after he left? the SRs he recuited (4 started) got to the NCAA sweet 16

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Agreed. I am still on the fence about Haith, but he never gets the benefit of the doubt. "He was coaching MA's players to a good record",,,,"MA is having to coach Pel's players."

Good players don't make a good team. A bad coach can screw up a season.

jbcarol

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops ·Feb 17
Mizzou's Jabari Brown averaging 1.22 pts per FG att this year, No. 1 nationally among the Top 50 scorers. Doug McDermott is No. 2 at 1.17

jbcarol

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmerson  26s
Final Georgia 71, Missouri 56. And with that, the Bulldogs are in great shape to finish third in the SEC. Quite a remarkable turnaround.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  1m
Scratch that: Missouri's lowest scoring game since last year's 83-52 loss at Florida

jbcarol

Matthew Harris ‏@MHarrisAdvocate  36m
This is all part of Mizzou's transition plan to the #SEC: Make an entire state apathetic toward hoops.

jbcarol

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/26/4851705/unless-haith-can-transfer-talent.html

Vahe Gregorian of the Kansas City Star: Unless Frank Haith can turn talent into teamwork, Missouri's slide will continue.

There is no evident or effective leadership on the floor. There is no apparent chemistry. Players don't seem to trust one another. The team seems adrift.

It's frustrating to watch, because the Tigers look as frustrated as they play.

Certainly, this may be a mere aberration in Haith's tenure, whose 53-16 record after two seasons was the best two-year start by a MU coach.

But it's also possible this is where his program is trending after three seasons.

This is, after all, his first MU team with only his recruits...

jbcarol

Missouri basketball players can see the empty seats staring back at them during home games at Mizzou Arena.

While they say it doesn't matter much to them, it's also a difficult thing to block out entirely.

Quote"You do notice," sophomore forward Ryan Rosburg said. "The two years I've been here, we've only lost two games. It's disappointing at times, but you understand people's schedules and things like that. It doesn't really affect you that much, but you do notice the numbers."

Missouri has averaged an announced attendance of 9,381 fans for its 15 home dates in the 15,061-seat Mizzou Arena this season and 11,458 fans for its home Southeastern Conference games.

Both numbers are on pace to represent the lowest marks since the 2007-2008 season, when the Tigers drew an average of 8,060 fans overall and 10,981 fans to Big 12 games during Mike Anderson's second year as head coach.

Missouri's average attendance has dipped 22 percent from last year in all games and 17 percent in conference. And, with only cellar dwellers Mississippi State and Texas A&M left on the schedule, its numbers might not change much for the better by the end of the season.

"I don't want to say it's troubling. I want to say we're aware of it and we've spent a significant amount of time looking at it," Missouri deputy athletic director Doug Gillin said. "What can we do better, in terms of what else can we do to make sure the game experience when you get to Mizzou Arena is the best it can possibly be?"

Goes on to blame the football team, weather, TV, ...

Did not ask players how the Mizzou home attendance compares to the schools they used to attend.

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison  1h
Today's announced attendance: 9,403. MU's season average now 9,323. SEC play: 11,201.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  20h
Lunardi has Mizzou among first four out and Tennessee among last four in. Next Saturday HUGE game for both - as long as MU beats A&M

jbcarol

• Twenty years ago, Missouri basketball honored one of its most celebrated senior classes on March 5, 1994 as the Tigers hosted Nebraska in their home finale at the Hearnes Center. Norm Stewart had eight seniors on that magical team, a group that survived the Cornhuskers to complete the Big Eight schedule unscathed at 14-0.

The core players from that senior class — Melvin Booker, Jevon Crudup, Reggie Smith and Lamont Frazier — had spent their entire college careers at Mizzou.

QuoteFor the first time in seven years, Missouri's senior day ceremony won't include a player who has spent his entire college career in Columbia. Before tip-off for tonight's home finale against Texas A&M, the Tigers (20-9, 8-8 SEC) will honor their two seniors, starting guard Earnest Ross, who played his first two seasons at Auburn, and backup forward Tony Criswell, who played at Alabama-Birmingham and Independence, Kan., Community College.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247  13m
HALFTIME IN KNOXVILLE: Tennessee 37, Missouri 19. Vols haven't trailed in nearly 140 minutes. They're trying to tell the bubble to shove it.