Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future non-SEC Games

Started by redleg, February 01, 2018, 03:00:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Arkansas' 2018 non-conference schedule is set, and it's four teams the Hogs should (honestly) beat.
2019 has 3 of 4 teams already scheduled, one more Group of 5 team yet to be named.
2020 and 2021 both have 2 teams set, most notably at Notre Dame in 2020 and at home vs Texas in 2021.
Beyond 2021, the only non-SEC team scheduled is Notre Dame in Fayetteville in 2025.

So who should Arkansas look to try and schedule for non-conference opponents between now and then?

After looking over a few match-ups the Hogs have had over the years at winsipedia.com, I feel that the Hogs should schedule the following teams to renew some old rivalries, or re-start some new ones:

Oklahoma St Cowboys - the Hogs and Pokes have played 46 times over the years, with Arkansas holding a 30-15-1 advantage. Haven't played at all since 1980.
Houston Cougars - Arkansas holds a 12-6 advantage over the Coogs, and they haven't played since the Hogs last year in the SWC in 1991.
Baylor Bears - This game was usually a great contest. Hogs hold a slim 35-33-2 advantage. Plus, I'd love to see a Chavis defense stuff Bohanon. ← I know that's petty, but I don't care!
Texas Tech Red Raiders - I'd love to see the air show between these two schools! Hogs hold a 29-8 advantage. Plus, I wanna see Arkansas whip Kingsbury again!
Rutgers Scarlett Knights - Rutgers (2-0 vs Ark) caught Arkansas at just the right time in the school's history to beat us ... after the Petrino debacle and in Bielema's first year. We OWE them a butt whippin'!
Miami Hurricanes - Arkansas should have scheduled this team years ago before they hired Mark Richt. But the Hogs are 0-3 versus the Canes, so we owe them too!
Georgia Tech Yellowjackets - The Hogs and the Ramblin' Wreck have only played twice (1-1), and the last time was in the 1960 Gator Bowl. This would be a good match up, and it would give Arkansas some needed exposure in a recruit-rich state.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

carolinahogger

Quote from: redleg on February 01, 2018, 03:00:22 pm
Rutgers (2-0 vs Ark) caught Arkansas at just the right time in the school's history to beat us ... after the Petrino debacle and in Bielema's first year. We OWE them a butt whippin'!

Yeah, lucky for them that they played us before BB got the program back on track.   ;)

MultipleScoreGasms

I like all these match ups, especially the first 4.  If we are ever going to become competitive again, we must have a presence in TX recruiting.  I think those games do that.

redleg

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 01, 2018, 03:05:44 pm
Yeah, lucky for them that they played us before BB got the program back on track.   ;)
I see your sarcasm, and raise you that Bielema's 2014, 2015, and maybe even his 2016 teams would have beaten Rutgers. Especially since Rutgers only won 4 games in 2015 and 2 in 2016.

Hawghiggs

How about we play Kansas, Kansas state, or Illinois. I want nothing to do with Miami or any other powerhouse program. We need winning seasons.

Busta_Nutt

Or we could just join the Big 12 and play these TX schools each season. Simple solution.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 01, 2018, 03:35:34 pm
How about we play Kansas, Kansas state, or Illinois. I want nothing to do with Miami or any other powerhouse program. We need winning seasons.

Agreed. Would rather be in top 25 and get picked on for scheduling versus having an L instead.

Would also love another shot at Rutgers. Ugggh that blemish.

Build program back up then schedule harder. We get enough notoriety playing in the SEC.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 01, 2018, 03:53:30 pm
Agreed. Would rather be in top 25 and get picked on for scheduling versus having an L instead.

Would also love another shot at Rutgers. Ugggh that blemish.

Build program back up then schedule harder. We get enough notoriety playing in the SEC.

They just happen to be available in 2020-2021

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/959166203154505728

#Rutgers has withdrawn from a two-game football series with #UCLA scheduled for 2020 & 2021. AD Dan Guerrero was officially informed of RU's decision to cancel the series via e-mail last Thurs. Per the agreement, Rutgers must pay UCLA a $500K termination fee w/i 30 days of demand

Hogcore

I'd love to see the Hogs play Oregon, Colorado, UCLA, Miami, and Ohio State.

Excited about making to trip to South Bend in a few years and Fort Collins this fall.

redeye

Clemson wouldn't be a surprise at some point.

oldhawg

Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2018, 04:30:50 pm
Clemson wouldn't be a surprise at some point.

and perhaps SMU back on the schedule?

redeye

Quote from: oldhawg on February 01, 2018, 05:01:35 pm
and perhaps SMU back on the schedule?

Yea, maybe.  I don't know if Morris has a relationship with Sonny Dykes, but he probably does with the SMU AD.

Flrazrback

SMU and Texas... Go back to the old SWC rivals.. Razorbacks and Longhorns have had some barnburners in the past.

RockyMtnHog

We have to have a Power 5 non-conference game on the schedule.  Houston and any other AAC team would be OK as long as we have that Power 5 team on the schedule.  I would love to see Air Force on our schedule as home and home.  The AFA is 15 miles from my house.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

ChicoHog

Not me.  I live over 2000 miles away, travel to a home game every season, and want to see good games against quality competition.   I would love a home and home against Cal or Stanford (Ole Miss played Cal the last 2 years so why not?) or any teams we normally don't play from Big Ten, ACC or Pac 12.  Let's branch out a little and get creative.  Loved the Michigan match up which was cancelled and now the ND games will be fun.  More of that and less of the directional schools and no FCS teams please!  Same for the rest of the SEC and ACC.  Both leagues are known for this. 

j-mann

we need Texas  schools   and P5 schools we can beat    like these 

Big 12 every school wouild be a good fit 
big ten  NEB  Mich st that program  is about  to have a few lean years   anyone but ohio st wisc or NW   
Pac 10  Arizona St   any school but usc here   
ACC Clem N Car   NCST  GT 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

BLS50

Would very much like our Hogs to play a home and home with Army.  Saw that Air Force was mentioned above.....might as well add Navy to the discussion as well.   

Occams Razorback

Tulsa would usually be an easier game than OSU but have the same positives in recruiting - we oughta just bite the bullet and play over there too - many Hog fans in Tulsa and home and away would be fair

Memphis home and away would be a great draw as well and folks from the eastern part of the state would love it

Louisiana Tech home and away would be similar to the above and would help us in recruiting northern Louisiana

Then add in Houston and we have a quadfecta of somewhat interesting teams from all around us (save Missouri) and obviously that's a great area to recruit

I guess none of those are P5 though - if we have to have one a year, as a fellow hillbilly, I'd like to play WVU
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

hogwxld

Miami Hurricanes - Arkansas should have scheduled this team years ago before they hired Mark Richt. But the Hogs are 0-3 versus the Canes, so we owe them too!

1978 Orange Bowl
Arkansas Razorbacks 31-6 over the Oklahoma Sooners

Happened in Miami. Ima count it anyway. ;)

carolinahogger

Quote from: redleg on February 01, 2018, 03:12:12 pm
I see your sarcasm, and raise you that Bielema's 2014, 2015, and maybe even his 2016 teams would have beaten Rutgers. Especially since Rutgers only won 4 games in 2015 and 2 in 2016.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  0-2.  If it didn't happen on the field it doesn't count.

rickm1976

I'll second that.  We play enough powerhouse teams as it is with our conference games.

ricepig

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 01, 2018, 08:43:42 pm
Not me.  I live over 2000 miles away, travel to a home game every season, and want to see good games against quality competition.   I would love a home and home against Cal or Stanford (Ole Miss played Cal the last 2 years so why not?) or any teams we normally don't play from Big Ten, ACC or Pac 12.  Let's branch out a little and get creative.  Loved the Michigan match up which was cancelled and now the ND games will be fun.  More of that and less of the directional schools and no FCS teams please!  Same for the rest of the SEC and ACC.  Both leagues are known for this. 

Just schedule the Bama or Auburn games every other year to attend, problem solved.

NoogaHog

Living where I live, I like the idea of playing GA Tech. It would be less than an hour and a half from my house. I could be home in time for dinner.

But honestly I do think playing more Texas teams is a good idea, and I would also love to see more SEC-Pac12 matchups, especially since we don't play each other in bowls. So lets play UCLA, ASU, Stanford or U-Dub.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogsanity

1st for me would be no team from any state bordering Arkansas. There is a big world of college football out there, and I'd like to see the Hogs explore it. SO, from the OP, I'd go with Miami or GT.

My preference would be for teams the Hogs have either never played or have not played in at least 3 decades. Oregon, UCLA, PN St, Mich St, FSU, Clem. I'd be happy with with lesser "named" teams like Iowa, AZ, BYU, VA, USF.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 01, 2018, 08:43:42 pm
Not me.  I live over 2000 miles away, travel to a home game every season, and want to see good games against quality competition.   I would love a home and home against Cal or Stanford (Ole Miss played Cal the last 2 years so why not?) or any teams we normally don't play from Big Ten, ACC or Pac 12.  Let's branch out a little and get creative.  Loved the Michigan match up which was cancelled and now the ND games will be fun.  More of that and less of the directional schools and no FCS teams please!  Same for the rest of the SEC and ACC.  Both leagues are known for this.

I like winning football games. You seem to like hanging your hat on playing good teams and getting your teeth kicked in.  Could not be me.

Cotton

I wanna see us start mixing it up more honestly.

Home and Home with the following teams over the next 10 years:

Oregon
USC
Michigan
Iowa
Virginia Tech
Miami

Recognizable names around the country in unique locations and stadiums gives the kids something to look forward to on top of the SEC venues they already get to play in.  Would have a positive impact on recruiting telling a kid he'll get to play in Oregon and Miami on top of our SEC schedule and bowl(s) (hopefully).
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

redleg

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 02, 2018, 07:13:56 am
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  0-2.  If it didn't happen on the field it doesn't count.
You were being sarcastic, implying that none of Bielema's teams would have beaten Rutgers. I was illuminating your error.  ;)

redleg

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 01, 2018, 03:50:22 pm
Or we could just join the Big 12 and play these TX schools each season. Simple solution.
You know damn well that that will NEVER happen.  :puke:

NoogaHog

This is your friendly reminder that Arkansas has not won a major college nonconference game in Fayetteville since 1973 (Iowa State).

We need more of them and more chances to right that bit of trivia.

Hogtimes

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 01:29:27 pm
This is your friendly reminder that Arkansas has not won a major college nonconference game in Fayetteville since 1973 (Iowa State).

That is shocking news for me.  Never realized that was the case/

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogtimes on February 02, 2018, 01:44:19 pm
That is shocking news for me.  Never realized that was the case/

They hardly ever played ooc games with "major" college teams in FAY though until the late 90's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

count of bacon

We should look for games that will help our recruiting, (and) that are winnable.
    1)  LA Tech, Tulane, Southern Miss
    2)  North Texas, SMU, Sam Houston State, Texas State
    3)  Kansas, Illinois, Northwestern, Arizona,
    4)  Troy, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, South Alabama
    5)  Throw in a tough P5 every once in a while

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 10:41:25 am
I wanna see us start mixing it up more honestly.

Home and Home with the following teams over the next 10 years:

Oregon
USC
Michigan
Iowa
Virginia Tech
Miami

Recognizable names around the country in unique locations and stadiums gives the kids something to look forward to on top of the SEC venues they already get to play in.  Would have a positive impact on recruiting telling a kid he'll get to play in Oregon and Miami on top of our SEC schedule and bowl(s) (hopefully).

I don't think recruits care about this

Hogarusa

Sun Belt, AAC, MAC, Conf USA, and Mtn West teams. Not interested in other P5 OOC games or FCS matchups
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

NoogaHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 02:48:07 pm

Really? Don't you think it would help recruiting when you tell a kid that not only will you play in the prestigious SEC, but you would be able to play against some of the best teams around the country. And you would be able to play in some historic and hallowed stadiums like Notre Dame, the Horseshoe, LA Coliseum, or in Autzen, or in where ever.

You don't think that going to play in South Bend in 2 years has any effect on recruiting?

I think the more of these games we have, the better.

steveaustin69

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 02:56:12 pm
Really? Don't you think it would help recruiting when you tell a kid that not only will you play in the prestigious SEC, but you would be able to play against some of the best teams around the country. And you would be able to play in some historic and hallowed stadiums like Notre Dame, the Horseshoe, LA Coliseum, or in Autzen, or in where ever.

You don't think that going to play in South Bend in 2 years has any effect on recruiting?

No.  Can you point me to the recruit saying he committed to Arkansas so that he can play in South Bend? If so, I will change my mind.

NoogaHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 02:58:03 pm
No.  Can you point me to the recruit saying he committed to Arkansas so that he can play in South Bend? If so, I will change my mind.

That's silly and missing the point of what I am saying. I think it is part of the package and raises the legitimacy and prestige of the school. No recruit is going to say they came to Arkansas to wear anthracite either, but it may make the package more appealing to some.

No one is coming to Arkansas because of Jerry Jones' relationship with the school (except hopefully one), but it makes the package better.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 02:56:12 pm

I think the more of these games we have, the better.

No. Because then that recruit could just simply turn around and say "Or I could just go to school at X and play my home games in the historic and hallowed X Stadium."

Cotton

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 02:48:07 pm
False.  They do.  Like another poster said, it's part of the package.  When players are done, they always talk about the different variety of venues they got to play in. They watch football games with their kids and family and say hey look I played in that stadium, the atmosphere was incredible but we got the best of them and so forth.

This isn't opinion, this actually happens. Recruits do care about the upcoming OOC games. 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

NoogaHog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 02, 2018, 03:11:44 pm
No. Because then that recruit could just simply turn around and say "Or I could just go to school at X and play my home games in the historic and hallowed X Stadium."

Well, yeah, but again that's not the only factor. Coaches, proximity to home, where friends and girlfriends are, desired major or area of study, conference affiliation, depth chart issues, scheme, etc.

Again, a stronger schedule adds prestige and makes the package better.

Cotton

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 02, 2018, 03:11:44 pm
You gotta see the broader perspective... "Wow dad, look at Happy Valley! The white out is insane!" "Yeah son, I got the opportunity to play there in 2021... they had a hell of a team that year but we squeaked one out on the road."

Future/Current/Former players talk about road games and neutral venues all the time.  Getting to play a game in Jerry World is a big deal.  Why do you think Bama and other big P5 schools are scheduling these neutral site games to start the season? 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 03:23:46 pm
You gotta see the broader perspective... "Wow dad, look at Happy Valley! The white out is insane!" "Yeah son, I got the opportunity to play there in 2021... they had a hell of a team that year but we squeaked one out on the road."

Future/Current/Former players talk about road games and neutral venues all the time.  Getting to play a game in Jerry World is a big deal.  Why do you think Bama and other big P5 schools are scheduling these neutral site games to start the season?

You keep speaking of all this talking, so i will direct you again to my previous question:

Can you point me to the recruit saying he committed to Arkansas so that he can play in South Bend? If so, I will change my mind.

NoogaHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 03:28:29 pm
You keep speaking of all this talking, so i will direct you again to my previous question:

Can you point me to the recruit saying he committed to Arkansas so that he can play in South Bend? If so, I will change my mind.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 03:19:25 pm
Well, yeah, but again that's not the only factor. Coaches, proximity to home, where friends and girlfriends are, desired major or area of study, conference affiliation, depth chart issues, scheme, etc.

Again, a stronger schedule adds prestige and makes the package better.

No, winning adds to prestige. That's what makes your program successful -- winning. I'm not going to go to Maryland because their strength of schedule. They're still Maryland and they still win 5 games per year. Take a step outside of your Arkansas bubble and realize that we are not a powerhouse. We can't sit down in a kid's living room and say "We're Arkansas. We're going to compete weekly against the best and have a chance to play at a National Championship." Alabama can do that; they can play their schedule and say "We're Alabama - we're going to schedule whomever the hell we want to schedule OOC, because we're going to beat them, and we're going to beat the next team, and the next team until we play for and win a National Championship come January."

Cotton

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 03:28:29 pm

I don't care if you change your mind or not. 

You can lead a horse to water...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 03:33:40 pm
I don't care if you change your mind or not. 

You can lead a horse to water...

Please refer to reply #43

I don't think recruits really care about this, and you have provided zero evidence to the contrary.

26.2Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 01:29:27 pm

And we shouldn't have won that one.  We had driven down to their goal line, made some substitutions, and lined up with 12 men in a wishbone formation that had an extra back.  I was there and thought, oh no, this penalty will kill us.  Hogs snapped the ball and scored the winning TD for a 21-19 win.  Refs never threw a flag.

Everyone in the stadium could see it.  I thought Earl Bruce was going to stroke out, or maybe go to prison for killing a ref or two. 

NoogaHog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 02, 2018, 03:38:21 pm
And we shouldn't have won that one.  We had driven down to their goal line, made some substitutions, and lined up with 12 men in a wishbone formation that had an extra back.  I was there and thought, oh no, this penalty will kill us.  Hogs snapped the ball and scored the winning TD for a 21-19 win.  Refs never threw a flag.

Everyone in the stadium could see it.  I thought Earl Bruce was going to stroke out, or maybe go to prison for killing a ref or two.

Wow! Thanks for the insight. I was 4.

okrazorback

ChicoHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 08:14:18 am
Just schedule the Bama or Auburn games every other year to attend, problem solved.
That's pretty much what I do but I'm tired of seeing those teams.  Saw TCU last year.  that was a disaster!  Probably Auburn this year.  I want a big time OOC Power 5 team playing here in September every other year (home and home for 2 years).