Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumble on the Ridge

Started by Razorod, November 22, 2012, 09:12:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Looking forward to Rumble on the Ridge Reports.

Especially interested in player Hogs are recruiting and the development of the following players:

Trey Thompson--Forrest City (2014)
Kahron Ross (2014) and Marquise Bryant--Jonesboro (2015)

Thanks in advance!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

mhuff

http://rumbleridge.com/

Well gentleman this will be a short report on the Rumble. I was not able to get stats on the games , and my comments will be mainly about five players: Bobby Portis, Jonathon Williams III, Kahron Ross, Marquise Bryant, and Trey Thompson.

Well after I stuffed myself with turkey and all the trimmings, I drove to Wynne, Arkansas to spend the night with my two sons and grandsons. I  wanted to watch the game Thursday between Jonesboro and Clarksville. However, I wouldn't have been able to see my family as they were either going to Fayetteville for the game or leaving town the next morning. So family won out over Rumble. I was told that I missed a really good game. Jonesboro won after being down by 12.

Friday I watched the full slate of games,  I was not particularly interested in the Hughes- Fayetteville game ,so I spent some time visiting with friends and coaches. Corliss Willamson was there ,and I talked with him briefly. I had referred Bobby Hatchett, a PG from SEMO last year. Bobby went the Juco route and is Otto Porter's cousin. Bobby went to Midland Tx. for a year and then left for parts unknown. Georgetown was interested when he was in h.s. I thought it might be a package deal as Bobby would be finishing Juco this year. I refer players to all level of colleges in Arkansas. Fayetteville won big time.  This was a game in the losers bracket.

The next game was a battle of the Titans... Southwind vs. Hall..... Jonathan Williams III, Missouri signee, and Bobby Portis, Arkansas signee. I was impressed with both players ;however, both coaches did not get the ball inside enough to suit me. When you have players like these two, you build an offense around them. You don't just limit them to trash buckets. I am probably exaggerating this, but offense for me starts inside first and then goes outside. I would take Portis over Williams any day of the week. Portis and Kingsley will only get better and bettter. Portis missed a thundering dunk near the end of the game that would have tied the game. Southwind won 47-45.

The game between Clarksville and Gadsden, Al. was the most entertaining game that I saw. I looked forward to the game as I had not seen the Lee brothers play before. It was a game between David and Goliath. I do not wish to disparage the Clarksville team, but my first thought when they hit the floor was..... how did a junior high team get in this tournament. They are really, really short. Gadsden had a a 7'0" center and a 6'8" PF. Once the whistle blew the Clarksville team dogged them all over the court. The most impressive player I saw that night was Dederick Lee. I don't know how many points he scored , but I know he had 6 or 7 3's. He is a much better player than I anticipated. He drove the lane and dished it off. His basketball IQ was off the charts. Clarksville harassed them so badly they had a hard time getting the ball down the court. The Lee brothers were like water bugs and really played tough, tough defense. Freddie did not have that good a game and was a little out of control, but you can tell they are well coached. Gadsden big men were not that big a factor. Clarksville won in the losers side of the bracket by about a dozen. Boys we may have missed the boat with Dederick. He is a better PG than Wagner imho.

The last game I watched was Jonesboro - Forrest City. I was especially interested in watching Kahron Ross, Marquise Bryant , and Trey Thompson play. First, Trey would not be able to run the floor like Kingsley and Portis. He might play a good half court game, but I was not impressed with his play or improvement. The F.C. H.S. former AD was sitting beside me and said Trey played well the night before against Gadsden. I believe Mississippi State was there watching him ,and Pel was there last year. They know talent a lot better than I. ...

I was really impressed with Kahron Ross. I had seen him play as an eighth grader in a Jonesboro AAU jamboree against Memphis. I  thought he was the best player on the court back then and was very,very, impressed with his total game. He had a good handle and distributed the ball well.

Marquise Bryant is a good player. I wasn't that impressed at first ,but as the game progressed I saw how well he worked within the system. I was sitting near Kahron Ross' father and he said Marquise is a freak of an athlete. I think he said that Marquise even played a little QB on the FB team. I will get to see him play again as well as the Monk phenom from East Poinsett in the NEA tournament shortly in Jonesboro. When you watch Jonesboro play, you have to know their commitment to BB. When a kid is in the 4th grade, he is taught how to run a full court press and a half court trap. There are FB schools in eastern Arkansas that don't teach that until 9th or 10th grade....maybe. Jonesboro won in the winners bracket and will play Southwind for the championship today.

Overall, the talent was not quite as good this year; however , I always enjoy the dedication and effort that F.C. puts into the tournament. God bless them all and R.I.P Mr. Cohn. I wanted to return home to SEMO ,so I will will not report Saturday's play. There are others on this board attending, so perhaps someone else will pick up the touch.

Sorry I did not have more scores and stats.

The Hogfather

So, Ded Lee tore it up?   I hope we didn't miss the boat on him.

Porked Tongue

ricepig

Only games I made it to were the FC/Hall and Southwind/Jonesboro games last night. Portis would have started last night in LV were he already on the team. I agree with the assement that both he and Williams play a little too far out on the floor, but both are thoroughbreds. Williams is more of a true post player than Bobby, but hit several nice mid-range jumpers against Jonesboro. Kahron has the game for upper D-I ball, I'm just not sure he will get the looks due to his small frame, we've all thought/hoped he would grow to his Dad's size. Marquise is now going by Pointer as his last name, he may have played some QB in Jr high, but he's all basketball now. He's a slasher/finisher type who will need to improve on his outside shot to go D-I, from my perspective. Both he and Kahron have motors that never stop and play defense like any coach would love.

Clarksville and EPC will join Jonesboro in the Hurricane Classic  starting on Thursday here in Jonesboro, it should be some good basketball.

The_Iceman

After seeing our shooting woes in Vegas, I think we should reconsider Lee. Maybe send Wagner packing and bring Lee in to replace him.

Porked Tongue

Lee wouldn't make it on the floor as a Hog.  He's a good player but there is a reason he's not going to the UA. 

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2012, 11:14:04 am
Only games I made it to were the FC/Hall and Southwind/Jonesboro games last night. Portis would have started last night in LV were he already on the team. I agree with the assement that both he and Williams play a little too far out on the floor, but both are thoroughbreds. Williams is more of a true post player than Bobby, but hit several nice mid-range jumpers against Jonesboro. Kahron has the game for upper D-I ball, I'm just not sure he will get the looks due to his small frame, we've all thought/hoped he would grow to his Dad's size. Marquise is now going by Pointer as his last name, he may have played some QB in Jr high, but he's all basketball now. He's a slasher/finisher type who will need to improve on his outside shot to go D-I, from my perspective. Both he and Kahron have motors that never stop and play defense like any coach would love.

Clarksville and EPC will join Jonesboro in the Hurricane Classic  starting on Thursday here in Jonesboro, it should be some good basketball.

Ricepig, could you tell us who won the games you watched and about the play? Thanks

Razorod

Thanks for the info guys! Great stuff.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on November 25, 2012, 03:30:32 pm
Ricepig, could you tell us who won the games you watched and about the play? Thanks

Hall put a beat down on FC, really wasn't much of a game. Portis ranthe floor well and played his role in offense, Hall had them out gunned at every position. Thompson has a nice game, I just don't see him as a major D-I player, but he probably looks better in AAU ball with good team around him.

In the finals, the players from Southwind were every bit as good as advertised. J3 runs the floor well, and has a nice a 15 ft jumper to go with his inside game. As far as the game went, Jonesboro stayed close the first qt, got behind by 11 in the second, but cut it to 5 right at half. Kahron was all over their PG, getting some steals and causing TO's, he and Marquise are good at attacking the basket and getting to the rim. Southwind's defense pushed the Canes's offense further from the basket in the third, and Jonesboro went cold and played sloppily. They eventually pushed it back to a 12 pt lead, but Jonesboro made some plays and got a call or two to cut it to 5. I believe they had two possessions in a row with open looks for a 3 to cut it further, but couldn't knock the shot down. Truthfully, about the only chance they had this game was to hit some 3's, I think they finished 1/15 or at least it seemed they did.

mhuff

November 26, 2012, 09:46:42 am #10 Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:43:35 pm by mhuff
Ricepig, Thanks again for the report. I really cut my report too short on Kahron and Marquise. Kahron hit some three's and definitely penetrated well to dish it off or score. The play of Jonesboro and Clarksville was well worth the price of admission. Plays were made where the ball never hit the floor in the half court. The ball was gotten to the man for wide open shots or layups. That's just good BB in my opinion. Kahron's father said the HOGS were showing interest. He said that after I asked.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on November 26, 2012, 09:46:42 am
Ricepig, Thanks again for the report. I really cut my report too short on Kahron and Marquise. Kahron hit some three's and definitely penetrated well to dish it off or score. The play of Jonesboro and Clarksville was well worth the price of admission. Plays were made where the ball never hit the floor in the half court. The ball was gotten to the man for wide open shots or layups. That's just good BB in my opinion. Kahron's father said the HOGS were showing interest.

Yeah, I know they had him up for the opening practice, I hope he gets a look. I love the kids play, I'm not sold on a big time D-I taking him, hope I'm wrong.  Jonesboro couldn't make an outside shot for anything, they have some good shooters, but it's hard to get in rythm facing a team like Southwind.

RazorAg

Thanks for the report, guys.  Good to see that Dederick played well.  He's appropriately matched with Oral Roberts.

ricepig, actually, I would say that Trey should dominate on the high school stage and not as much in AAU.  Hope I get to see him this year.

Southwind really plays hard and has a ton of length, so it's not surprising that Jonesboro had trouble with them.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorAg on November 26, 2012, 10:41:02 am
Thanks for the report, guys.  Good to see that Dederick played well.  He's appropriately matched with Oral Roberts.

ricepig, actually, I would say that Trey should dominate on the high school stage and not as much in AAU.  Hope I get to see him this year.

Southwind really plays hard and has a ton of length, so it's not surprising that Jonesboro had trouble with them.

Well, I thought he might look better on a team with some other players, take the pressure off him, and maybe someone to pass it to him.