Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just talked to an East Texas high school coach...I’m pumped!

Started by hawgon, February 14, 2018, 12:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

February 15, 2018, 07:37:44 am #50 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:57:55 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 02:55:30 pm
He said not only did he never see Bielema or any of the Arkansas guys the entire time Bielema was there, no one he knew ever saw anyone from Arkansas very much.

Heck with our history down there that is damn near enough reason for them to have gotten fired by itself.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

...it's no secret CBB preferred taking trips to FL not East Texas....his love for sandy beaches, drinks, Marley and flip flops is well known. East Texas? Not so much...

CBB would NOT be a bad guy to run into on your vacation, but not a head coach in the SEC

East Texas may not be South FL - but the talent pool is deep and their willingness to come to AR has been high in the past.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The NewEra

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2018, 07:48:40 am
...it's no secret CBB preferred taking trips to FL not East Texas....his love for sandy beaches, drinks, Marley and flip flops is well known. East Texas? Not so much...

CBB would NOT be a bad guy to run into on your vacation, but not a head coach in the SEC

East Texas may not be South FL - but the talent pool is deep and their willingness to come to AR has been high in the past.

It's become more and more obvious that CBB wasn't committed to the hard work necessary to recruit at Arkansas.  East Texas, Tulsa and Memphis are just a few areas this staff is focusing on that received little to no attention over the past several years.  And, to think this staff didn't even offer in state talent Billy Ferrell last year speaks loudly to the lazy approach he had to recruiting.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgon

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 15, 2018, 08:08:10 am
Interesting.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/amp/Which-Texas-town-has-the-most-football-talent-4875883.php

I've said it over and over and I'll say it again.  Practically every single team in East Texas no matter how small the school, almost always has at least one kid on the roster that can play at the next level. 

Polecat

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on February 14, 2018, 03:25:51 pm
They need to get 540 extended to US 59 all the way to Houston and pipeline those kids to the Hill.

Amen
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2018, 07:48:40 am

Yep, if he was a family member he would be your cool drunk uncle with a boat.  I'm from the South but most of my extended family are Midwesterners.  See many Brets at family reunions.  All great guys

As far as the East Texas part, yes as well.  My daughter started UA this fall and regularly says there are a ton of Texas kids there.  Feels like more than in the past when I was there.  With this being the case seeing more FB players from there as well only makes sense, and shouldn't be too difficult for the staff if they put in the time and it appears that's what they are doing.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

twistitup

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2018, 09:11:18 am
Yep, if he was a family member he would be your cool drunk uncle with a boat.  I'm from the South but most of my extended family are Midwesterners.  See many Brets at family reunions.  All great guys

As far as the East Texas part, yes as well.  My daughter started UA this fall and regularly says there are a ton of Texas kids there.  Feels like more than in the past when I was there.  With this being the case seeing more FB players from there as well only makes sense, and shouldn't be too difficult for the staff if they put in the time and it appears that's what they are doing.

We should recruit the girlfriends and recruits will follow, they are that age.

Football is great, a piece of tail is great - having both away from home all snuggled up in the dormroom....Priceless

twistitup

Hoggish1

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2018, 09:11:18 am

5868/27558 are from Texas. I know everyone likes to say 50% are from Texas, but 50% are out of state students.

https://oir.uark.edu/students/enrollment-state.php

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2018, 10:25:27 am
5868/27558 are from Texas. I know everyone likes to say 50% are from Texas, but 50% are out of state students.

https://oir.uark.edu/students/enrollment-state.php

Thanks for the link

In the last 10 years UofA total enrollment is up 48% (2017 vs 2007)

Enrollment for students from Arkansas is up just 8.5%

Enrollment for students from Texas is up 195%

In terms of sheer numbers UA grew enrollment by Arkansans by +1,126 in those 10 years and enrollment by Texans + 4,372.

Total growth was +8,909 so 49% of the growth is coming from Texas.  When looking at just undergraduate growth Texas accounts for 52%

Also in terms of undergrad the 2017 breakout is as follows

Arkansas 12,248
Texas 5,570
All other 5,226

Since the trend has been consistent growth for the past 10 years I would hazard a guess that this year's freshman class has a higher % of Texas kids than the overall student body.

The numbers illustrate what a poor job the last staff did by not focusing on Texas.

CM and Co may or may not be world class recruiters.  That remains to be seen.  But I would say they are shrewd and want to be effective efficient recruiters.  He's establishing a footprint where Arkansas would have the highest chances of success and working outward from there.  What helps success?  Winning of course, but also familiarity, and name recognition. 

If you are a nerd and like looking at such number you can download an Excel file from the link Rice posted.

Shout out to the 1 undergrad student from Rhode Island.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2018, 11:08:23 am
Thanks for the link

In the last 10 years UofA total enrollment is up 48% (2017 vs 2007)

Enrollment for students from Arkansas is up just 8.5%

Enrollment for students from Texas is up 195%

In terms of sheer numbers UA grew enrollment by Arkansans by +1,126 in those 10 years and enrollment by Texans + 4,372.

Total growth was +8,909 so 49% of the growth is coming from Texas.  When looking at just undergraduate growth Texas accounts for 52%

Also in terms of undergrad the 2017 breakout is as follows

Arkansas 12,248
Texas 5,570
All other 5,226

Since the trend has been consistent growth for the past 10 years I would hazard a guess that this year's freshman class has a higher % of Texas kids than the overall student body.

The numbers illustrate what a poor job the last staff did by not focusing on Texas.

CM and Co may or may not be world class recruiters.  That remains to be seen.  But I would say they are shrewd and want to be effective efficient recruiters.  He's establishing a footprint where Arkansas would have the highest chances of success and working outward from there.  What helps success?  Winning of course, but also familiarity, and name recognition. 

If you are a nerd and like looking at such number you can download an Excel file from the link Rice posted.

Shout out to the 1 undergrad student from Rhode Island.

Steinmetz and the BOT have said 30,000 is our limit, or appears to be. They've also said at least 50% of the students would be Arkansans. They are really pushing hard to get more in-state students enrolled.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 07:57:38 am
It's become more and more obvious that CBB wasn't committed to the hard work necessary to recruit at Arkansas.  East Texas, Tulsa and Memphis are just a few areas this staff is focusing on that received little to no attention over the past several years.  And, to think this staff didn't even offer in state talent Billy Ferrell last year speaks loudly to the lazy approach he had to recruiting.
Total BS, CBB was clearly better than the last 2 coaches at recruiting the best we have had since Ford. He had a lot of failures recruiting wasn't it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 07:35:13 am
Do you think any differences between Mathis and Morris will carry over to the Traylor relationship?
Not a chance. Traylor isnt lazy like Mathis was.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

twistitup

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 15, 2018, 11:20:24 am
Total BS, CBB was clearly better than the last 2 coaches at recruiting the best we have had since Ford. He had a lot of failures recruiting wasn't it.

Why give a shiite about recruiting if you don't have enough energy to develop them once on campus? Who cares how good he recruited, when get our arses kicked on the reg

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I agree total BS..! That's exactly what we saw from each of those coaches on the field.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2018, 11:14:39 am
Steinmetz and the BOT have said 30,000 is our limit, or appears to be. They've also said at least 50% of the students would be Arkansans. They are really pushing hard to get more in-state students enrolled.

I think the issue for increasing in-state students is more cost than admissions.  While they have raised standards it's not that high.  My daughter was a fair student and had a so-so ACT.  I was pleasantly surprised when she got in.  The only scholarship she got was AR Lottery so we are paying around $14,000 per semester when it's all said and done.  AR Scholarship goes up progressively each year but still a heavy burden for families to carry. 

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2018, 12:37:23 pm
I think the issue for increasing in-state students is more cost than admissions.  While they have raised standards it's not that high.  My daughter was a fair student and had a so-so ACT.  I was pleasantly surprised when she got in.  The only scholarship she got was AR Lottery so we are paying around $14,000 per semester when it's all said and done.  AR Scholarship goes up progressively each year but still a heavy burden for families to carry. 

Well, that's a problem everywhere, unfortunately, I don't see it changing. They did take the challenge from Gov. Hutchinson and agree to freeze tuition for next year, so that's nice.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hawgon on February 15, 2018, 08:14:57 am
I've said it over and over and I'll say it again.  Practically every single team in East Texas no matter how small the school, almost always has at least one kid on the roster that can play at the next level. 

Uhhhh... yes... Earl, "the pearl " Campbell was from Tyler....   he was a man among boys, not only in college but the NFL as well...

twistitup

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 15, 2018, 01:39:01 pm
Uhhhh... yes... Earl, "the pearl " Campbell was from Tyler....   he was a man among boys, not only in college but the NFL as well...

And Adrian Peterson was from Palestine TX ....E Texas stud went to OU- don't know if AR recruited him or not

I honestly don't know the exact percentage rating of Brets classes compared to the other two, but it seemed we got in more 4 star Guys.  Of course, we never get in many 4 star players so just 2 or 3 more over 5 years would be a big deal.

I just don't believe the feedback is bogus that we've got in the area from people that really don't have a dog in the fight, such as the coaches in Tulsa and in East Texas, where they claim to have not heard from the previous staff much at all.  I certainly hope Bret's staff did decent at recruiting because we need those players now.  And if they really did do decent and still didn't actually work at it, then that could mean a hard working staff might greatly improve recruiting.  I could accept that.

flagstaffhog

Ain't that the truth....
Go HOGS Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 02:55:30 pm
He said not only did he never see Bielema or any of the Arkansas guys the entire time Bielema was there, no one he knew ever saw anyone from Arkansas very much.

From 2002-2007 (6 years) for Nutt, 2008-2012 (5 years) for BP/JLS and 2013-2017 (5 years) for Bielema, with regard to Texas Recruits signed.

5           4            3            2/Below         Total
Nutt            0           4           31               6                41
BP/JLS         0           5           17               8                30
Bielema        0           2           13               5                20

I think we are about to see this change. Yes, there is a lot of competition for players in Texas and a lot of teams are recruiting at a high level there. But to allow organized recruiting in a neighboring state like Texas, with so many athletes to recruit "go to seed" the way we have, has hurt us in my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 15, 2018, 02:28:43 am
Yep Queen City. Fred Talley and Decori Birmingham were from the same region as well

Yes, DeCori is from Atlanta and last I heard was a Texas Highway patrolman in that area.

Fred is from Longview and may be detained by the law boys in the Springdale area for a little mess-up.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2018, 01:44:31 pm
And Adrian Peterson was from Palestine TX ....E Texas stud went to OU- don't know if AR recruited him or not

I got to see him play in the Playoffs and he was a MAN amongst boys in HS.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jones3744

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 07:01:42 pm
Atlanta.

If you look at the number of NFL players put out from the Texarkana area alone, we should have an assistant practically living there.

he played at Queen City

cosmodrum

I moved to the DFW 6 months ago. Let me know if we need a bag man.
Go away, batin'

hawgon

And Billy Simms was from Hooks.  And LaMichael James from Texarkana.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Never heard him called the pearl. Did hear him called the Tyler Rose.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 15, 2018, 06:01:36 pm

Only Earl the Pearl I know, was Earl the Pearl Monroe of the Knicks.

Sooiepride

I was working up in the NE part of the State last year and kept noticing campaign signs for some dude running for county judge or commissioner or something. When I got a closer look, his signs all had the running hog on them. This was in Texas.

I see a LOT of Razorback fans in the 5 or 6 NE Texas counties. Most of them have Texas tags, but a Razorback window sticker.  The Arkansas ties in that part of the State is surprising, borderline strange to me.  You'd never see that many aTm fans in SW Arkansas.  It was almost like being home again!
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

hawgon

Quote from: Sooiepride on February 15, 2018, 07:47:21 pm
I was working up in the NE part of the State last year and kept noticing campaign signs for some dude running for county judge or commissioner or something. When I got a closer look, his signs all had the running hog on them. This was in Texas.

I see a LOT of Razorback fans in the 5 or 6 NE Texas counties. Most of them have Texas tags, but a Razorback window sticker.  The Arkansas ties in that part of the State is surprising, borderline strange to me.  You'd never see that many aTm fans in SW Arkansas.  It was almost like being home again!

It's not strange, it's East Texas.  That's just the way it is.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ballinhog on February 14, 2018, 09:29:59 pm
Does anyone have a list of some of the more big time programs from East Texas?

Longview
John Tyler
Lufkin
Texas High
Marshall

Just to name a few.  Patrick Mahomes played at Whitehouse and had to beat Greg Ward and John Tyler to win the district.  That was in 5A, not even the largest classification.

EastexHawg

Yes, we recruited him.  We saw him on his official visit during the Auburn or Florida game, I don't remember which.  You could tell just by the way that he looked and carried himself that he was the lead dog among the group of players there that day.

hookshog

I talked to Lunney several times 2 years ago. He made regular stops at Hooks, there are a lot of kids from this area that go on to play college ball.

TX HOG

I've lived in Tyler Tx for the last 30 years. Just moved to NWA. I can absolutely say there is a lot of talent in East Texas

TheRazorback500

Quote from: hookshog on February 15, 2018, 10:08:15 pm
I talked to Lunney several times 2 years ago. He made regular stops at Hooks, there are a lot of kids from this area that go on to play college ball.
I was at OU when Billy Sims was there. Barry Switzer knew the value of recruiting east Texas.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 15, 2018, 08:22:41 pm
Longview
John Tyler
Lufkin
Texas High
Marshall

Just to name a few.  Patrick Mahomes played at Whitehouse and had to beat Greg Ward and John Tyler to win the district.  That was in 5A, not even the largest classification.
Jasper, Beaumont Central, West Orange Stark

But their are always some kids in small schools like Groveton or Corrigan-Camden or Crockett or Rusk or Mexia or Diboll who are scholarship worthy every year.  I grew up playing those teams, and everyone of them had at least one big time D-1 kid during my 4 years of varsity.  Most of them sent a player to the NFL during that time.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Phil D

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2018, 11:36:41 am
Why give a shiite about recruiting if you don't have enough energy to develop them once on campus? Who cares how good he recruited, when get our arses kicked on the reg

Valid point
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

wee were 2nd behind OU for AP. he visited.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 14, 2018, 06:51:46 pm
No reason we can't get them to skip again. LSU has a joke of a HC (I know he beat us twice,  but we had what turned out to be a bad joke ourselves). And I'm highly,  highly skeptical of Jimbo. Like, I'd be losing serious sleep if I were an Aggie fan.

If you're skeptical on Jimbo where do you sit on Morris?

Al Boarland

How can you say that when he finished in the bottom 1/3 every cycle?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 15, 2018, 06:01:36 pm
Yes, Tyler Rose was a nick, but also was "Earl the Pearl"...  I heard it firsthand on an ABC broadcast of a UT game.... and.... you do have UT's own statement to the fact in below link...   I didn't just dream it up...,   Sheesh...  you're such a nitpcker.....

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Board/21/Contents/Earl-The-Pearl-CampbellVideoWho-is-the-Next-Earl-18932085

Vantage 8 dude

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe we most certainly DID recruit him out of high school. Not sure how much interest he might have had; obviously the Sooners were much more attractive to him.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 16, 2018, 10:13:42 am
If my memory serves me correctly, I believe we most certainly DID recruit him out of high school. Not sure how much interest he might have had; obviously the Sooners were much more attractive to him.
Well, we've got cosmodrum down there now.  We fixin' to compete!

RedBird5

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2018, 09:12:19 pm
Not supposed to talk about defense I guess. Going all the way with just qb's and wr's.

You know good and well that was not the intent and no one thinks that, save maybe BP.  Why not add something meaningful to the thread instead of stirring the pot?   Your choice of course, but it's kinda fun to provide actual insite. 

twistitup

Byron Bam Morris was another East Texas stud...man among boys back then