Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TJ Hammonds?

Started by hobhog, October 01, 2017, 09:16:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

This team has very few explosive players, yet Hamminds hardly has seen the field. There must be some issue we don't know about, as this team needs a playmaker bad.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 09:16:32 am
This team has very few explosive players, yet Hamminds hardly has seen the field. There must be some issue we don't know about, as this team needs a playmaker bad.
I believe we have several explosive players.  Most teams don't have multiple Joe Adams or Christian Kirks.  Nance, Hayden, Jones are all explosive. 

hobhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:20:57 am
I believe we have several explosive players.  Most teams don't have multiple Joe Adams or Christian Kirks.  Nance, Hayden, Jones are all explosive.

We haven't had an explosive play from running backs all year IMO. They run hard and get good yardage, but we haven't had  a "take it to the house" player appear yet.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 09:28:08 am
We haven't had an explosive play from running backs all year IMO. They run hard and get good yardage, but we haven't had  a "take it to the house" player appear yet.
For the most part, teams have stacked against us.  We don't have a DMac right now, but who does?

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 02:45:47 pm
For the most part, teams have stacked against us.  We don't have a DMac right now, but who does?

The SEC as a whole haven't had a DMac since DMac. There's Hershal, Bo, and DMac. They are the Mount Rushmore of SEC RBs

LRHawg

SEC defenses are faster on the backend, plus I think we are still a little spoiled from DMAC, Davis, and JWill.

hoglady

My LSU friends still talk to me about DMac.
Even the fans of other teams respect and admire his considerable talent to this day.
They feared him yet loved watching him at the same time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: LRHawg on October 01, 2017, 02:53:42 pm
SEC defenses are faster on the backend, plus I think we are still a little spoiled from DMAC, Davis, and JWill.

4.2 speed and power
DDawg would still dominate.

010HogFan

Could be about something else, but judging by his twitter, I think he is getting as frustrated as we are about his lack of use.

WaltonCollege

He should be our primary slot wr not sure what the deal is, he's too good not to be getting a few touches a quarter.

trippigs

I get the intent of this thread despite the sidetracking. I also wonder why he is not playing much at all. He is indeed explosive!

1highhog

He got used yesterday, picked p a few yds., then trotted right back off the field.  He may not can be used as a every down RB because of blocking or some reason, but as a slot, I just don't see why he's not used.

Tusks

I think its' the coaches pressing the players to bend their will into the system instead of bending the system to fit a player.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tejano Jawg

Regarding Hammonds...because he was moved to receiver, he must have good hands. He runs some sweeps, but has anyone seen him involved in the passing game? A smaller quick guy would be great on quick slants. We have to utilize the short passing game more.

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 09:28:08 am

I've thought about this one. One, I like our RBs, but I believe we miss Rawleigh...there's a reason he was on everyone's first or second team All-SEC list last year. Also, more reasons to miss Hatcher and Morgan, and how well they blocked downfield. Our RBs now will hit a hole, but their daylight ends quickly. Safeties, LBs and nickels are never taken out of the play.

Quote from: hoglady on October 01, 2017, 02:57:52 pm
My LSU friends still talk to me about DMac.
Even the fans of other teams respect and admire his considerable talent to this day.
They feared him yet loved watching him at the same time.

On this subject, years ago, someone here posted a link to an LSU/Tiger Droppings thread titled "What player did you totally fear every time they touched the ball?" (Really wish I'd bookmarked it.) The first several replies were either pics of McFadden or pics of Felix AND McFadden. It was a great thread. Matt Jones was well represented too. The other big vote-getter was Miss State's John Bond.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

3kgthog

I don't expect to see TJH get time at RB, but you'd think a guy we've heard about for two years could get more than one touch per game. It's always the same play, too.

Hammonds should either be used or removed from the team.  If he has problems that keep him off the field, it seems doubtful it is really the way he plays so one would believe it's something else.  If he is a bad egg, remove him, if not play him.  When you are an Arkansas type talented team, you absolutely must get the few difference makers in as many plays as possible.  First issue is we don't embrace the get your studs in space thought process, actually we embrace, the we are running right there, try and stop us, thought process.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 12247 on October 01, 2017, 04:18:34 pm
Hammonds should either be used or removed from the team.  If he has problems that keep him off the field, it seems doubtful it is really the way he plays so one would believe it's something else.  If he is a bad egg, remove him, if not play him.  When you are an Arkansas type talented team, you absolutely must get the few difference makers in as many plays as possible.  First issue is we don't embrace the get your studs in space thought process, actually we embrace, the we are running right there, try and stop us, thought process.

That may literally be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 01, 2017, 04:21:48 pm
That may literally be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Read......but, consider the source.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on October 01, 2017, 04:24:04 pm
Read......but, consider the source.

I read it out loud so as to get the full effect.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 01, 2017, 04:25:25 pm
I read it out loud so as to get the full effect.

Lol, in what voice?

PorkRinds

Bubba's Bruisers

I agree, we don't have much, and I don't know what the deal is with Hammonds.  I haven't seen him enough to even know if he's even that type of player, so can't really opine whether or not he should be playing more. 

Hayden has explosion written all over him.  Nobody else gives me that feeling at this point.  There are always some who will eventually surface, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: 12247 on October 01, 2017, 04:18:34 pm
Hammonds has done nothing wrong. Coaches need to put him in or he needs to transfer to another school who will give him a chance. Remember what happened every time he was in the game last year? Lightning in a bottle.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

The_Iceman

I've seen Hammonds on the field multiple times, the ball is just not going his way. He needs to work on running crisper routes and blocking, and he could be used more often at WR.

Dominicanhog

They are saving him for Bama.. going to be the secret weapon...

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 01, 2017, 05:39:26 pm
They are saving him for Bama.. going to be the secret weapon...

Now you've gone and spoiled it, Bama has fans on here gathering info for Nick....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 01, 2017, 05:43:59 pm
Now you've gone and spoiled it, Bama has fans on here gathering info for Nick....

Seems a lot of teams have fans on this board.. they far out weigh the Hog fans... maybe that's just my imagination...

Rockpig5

Dude, Hamminds is my favorite player!!!  I wish he could see the field more.  He is explosive, and fun to watch.  Hopefully he'll see some PT soon. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 01, 2017, 03:30:21 pm
Regarding Hammonds...because he was moved to receiver, he must have good hands. He runs some sweeps, but has anyone seen him involved in the passing game? A smaller quick guy would be great on quick slants. We have to utilize the short passing game more.

This.  Last year, when I heard TJH was moved to receiver, I figure it was because of his skill as a receiver, not because there was something missing in his skills as a running back. Think about the running back type (like our Gary Anderson or USC's Reggie Bush--not saying TJH is that good) who gets moved around to different places on the field. In the slot, out wide and put in motion, etc. Could be a nightmare for d-coordinators.

Maybe someone who has seen more--every snap, maybe some practices--can comment. I'll go one more question, has he been targeted on a pass this year? Or, has he gone out for a pass this year?

JaketheSnake

Best players on the team:  Hammonds, Wallace, and Kelly.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 07:14:05 pm
Best players on the team:  Hammonds, Wallace, and Kelly.

Nicely played.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on October 01, 2017, 02:51:23 pm
The SEC as a whole haven't had a DMac since DMac. There's Hershal, Bo, and DMac. They are the Mount Rushmore of SEC RBs

Agreed. I'm still amazed to go back and watch Dmacs old videos. Never seen anyone eat an angle like he could. He was so explosive in the time it took a defender to react if was too late. He'd just run by them.

texhog22

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 01, 2017, 07:22:04 pm
Agreed. I'm still amazed to go back and watch Dmacs old videos. Never seen anyone eat an angle like he could. He was so explosive in the time it took a defender to react if was too late. He'd just run by them.
I often go find highlights of DMac and Matt Jones, the 2 most electrifying players to ever play at Arkansas.

Tusks

Just put him as a RB or slot and flip the ball out to him.  It's not that damn hard.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

regi

On my television,  TJ was on the field at least a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the offensive snaps.  Ball just didn't find him.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: tusked on October 01, 2017, 03:21:01 pm
I think its' the coaches pressing the players to bend their will into the system instead of bending the system to fit a player.

He's getting the Korliss Marshall treatment.  Obvious to millions of people watching the games yet the coaches can't seem to figure out a way to get the ball to them. Another of the many many reasons why Bielema and crew aren't cut out for the SEC much less made of what it takes to win it.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: regi on October 01, 2017, 08:31:46 pm
On my television,  TJ was on the field at least a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the offensive snaps.  Ball just didn't find him.

Really? I don't doubt what you're saying. I'm just surprised.

regi

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on October 01, 2017, 08:43:09 pm
Really? I don't doubt what you're saying. I'm just surprised.

He was the 4Th reciever,  it appeared,  with J Red and Pettway now out. He also got a couple snaps at RB.

hobhog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 01, 2017, 08:33:44 pm
He's getting the Korliss Marshall treatment.  Obvious to millions of people watching the games yet the coaches can't seem to figure out a way to get the ball to them. Another of the many many reasons why Bielema and crew aren't cut out for the SEC much less made of what it takes to win it.

Korliss doing well? Haven't heard.

TJ needs to touch the ball a few times to prove or not he has ability to be game breaker. There has to be some reason he hasn't.

Letsroll1200

When the coaches say they have to trust him. It's more off the field than on the field. I think this team is trying to find a rhythm on offense. I like the running back situation and Nance is a player at receiver. If our receivers can continue to gain confidence this team will be very good on offense. TJ Hammonds is going to get his opportunity.

Piggfoot

Can TJ play offensive Tackle?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

presidenthog

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 01, 2017, 03:10:38 pm
Could be about something else, but judging by his twitter, I think he is getting as frustrated as we are about his lack of use.
If this staff doesn't figure it out quick, he will transfer.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: presidenthog on October 01, 2017, 09:37:14 pm
If this staff doesn't figure it out quick, he will transfer.
Hes a sophomore getting playing time... a decent amount of playing time.

bphi11ips

It's a good thing Vin Ascolese wasn't from Arkansas.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

devildoghawg

If Knile Davis would have been healthy for his entire career at Arkansas, DMAC would live in his shadow.  Davis was a once in a lifetime back.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 01, 2017, 10:10:14 pm
If Knile Davis would have been healthy for his entire career at Arkansas, DMAC would live in his shadow.  Davis was a once in a lifetime back.
Disagree.  Davis was a great back, but not in same class as DMac. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 10:16:46 pm
Disagree.  Davis was a great back, but not in same class as TJ.
fyp
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogman64

when he was hurt in preseason it was portrayed as a big blow to the offense.........basically he has made no difference in the first 4 games ...IMO hasn't been  given the opportunity to make a difference.  there is a disconnect somewhere.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogman64 on October 01, 2017, 10:56:42 pm
when he was hurt in preseason it was portrayed as a big blow to the offense.........basically he has made no difference in the first 4 games ...IMO hasn't been  given the opportunity to make a difference.  there is a disconnect somewhere.

Could it be that his injury has set him back a bit? I don't think anyone really knows. Lots of guesses though.

devildoghawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 01, 2017, 10:36:46 pm
fyp

Really, you think TJ is a better back than Davis?  I guess I am the only one that remembers the 2010 LSU game, Davis was literally steam rolling the entire LSU defense for an entire half.  It was so bad that the announcers made multiple comments about how he looked unstoppable.  Davis, if healthy, would have had the most career rushing yards at Arkansas, easily.  The kid was a freak, even beyond DMAC.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.