Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Calling It. Robb Smith is Gone

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, December 31, 2016, 10:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhawgfan

Quote from: sowmonella on January 01, 2017, 09:12:11 am
Gotta be careful with the timing. NSD in Feb with a very nice class on the way. I don't see anything happening until then.
Some would argue how "nice" this recruiting class is, but you really think kids we have committed wouldn't come if we replaced smith? I don't know a single player who came to the U of A because of RS
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

FaytownHog

Ok, so I admittantly dont know much about this Bob Diaco guy other than what I just googled that he was just fired from Uconn for losing twice as many games as he won.....so what exactly is everyone drulling over here?

Venables would be a dream but its a pipe dream! He can win national championships where he is as a DC so why would he change schools at the same position? Shoot, give him the head coaching job if he wants to come here!

tophawg19

had the defense been decent we could have run the ball to close out our games . But when you know they can't stop anybody , then you have to take risks on offense . it's impossible to play ball control when ypou are always on a long field thanks to the bend but don't break .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Wee Wally is a joke, Wally Pipsqueek is another nickname for the diminutive longtime ADG sports editor.

The OP is right in that no writer/broadcaster who covers the Hogs in my memory, which goes back to the late 60s, criticizes UA coaches until they are on the way out or gone..

It would make ZERO sense for Venables to make a lateral move from what could be a NC team..

I'm sure Wally is referring to Diaco, who was a freshman at Iowa when BB was a SR and BB continued there as a GA throughout Diaco's playing career or at least 2 years of it.

Coming from Wally, it's not a lock, but as I said, Wally and the rest of the sporting press in this state does not criticize UA coaches until something has happened or is in the works. At least, that is the long standing MO..
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Jack The BN

I think if Bielema can bring in Tim Duchamps in to run the defense. I think we might finally have a chance.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

The_Bionic_Pig

Interview immediately following his hire at Notre Dame circa 2010:

On his defensive scheme:
"It bases out of a 3-4. We've created a system where we go quickly from three down linemen to four down linemen and we can get that reduced player wherever we need it to be. That's part of the overall package. One great thing about basing out of a 3-4 is the element that the offense doesn't know where the fourth rusher will be coming from. A fourth rusher can come from the field. A fourth rusher can come from the boundary. A fourth rusher can come from the inside."

On his personality as a coach:
"My personality as a coach is no different than my personality as a person. I try to be the same guy every day. I'm an early-riser. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive in how I operate and how I keep my stuff, my locker, my office, my car and so on. There's a lot of respect there. I'm very detailed. I would say I'm very aggressive. I'd also say that based on the treatment I received as a player where I was never berated, dehumanized or demoralized by any of my coaches, I carry that over to my own coaching style and how I teach young men. At the same time, I'm still an aggressive person and an aggressive coach. There will be consistency, there will be detail, there will be aggressive coaching. I'm an energized, positive person who loves what I do. It all begins with the players."

On his history of working with linebackers:
"I've been with so many coaches and coordinators that teach their linebackers different ways, there's a thousand ways to get it done. The fundamentals of teaching begin with running. It's a running man's game. You'll see our linebackers play a little differently than some. There's not a lot of shuffling and popping the hip or shuffle stack or some of these other words and terms that people are using. It's more based in running and fits in the system. I would say I'm more in line with how Al Groh teaches linebackers. I'd say that fits more with what I believe to be true about linebacker play from playing it myself."

On recruiting:
"I love recruiting. I'm passionate about it. Most predominately, I've recruited New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Florida. Early in my coaching career I was in Chicago and I know that area well. I've also recruited in Ohio, Michigan and Virginia based on where I was coaching at the time. Now, recruiting is recruiting. It doesn't really matter where you go. If you're asked the questions, you have the answers. If you say you're going to get the information to the coach or whomever, you promptly get the information to that individual. If you're diligent, detailed, consistent and forthright, it won't matter if you are recruiting in Connecticut or Texas or California. That's what people are looking for."

On immediate plans:
"Sounds like I'm going to hit the road and go recruiting. I'll visit some committed players and get on the phone with some targeted prospects."

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HamSammich

I'm on the fence.... I sort of remember how hogville touted rob smith as the greatest thing since Velcro pretty recently.... I'm not sure if changing assistants is the magic bullet.

longpig

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 01, 2017, 01:02:47 pm
Some would argue how "nice" this recruiting class is, but you really think kids we have committed wouldn't come if we replaced smith? I don't know a single player who came to the U of A because of RS

Pulley did supposedly, do you know of a player who came to UofA in spite of Robb Smith?
Don't be scared, be smart.

farmhawg

Quote from: HamSammich on January 01, 2017, 04:17:41 pm
I'm on the fence.... I sort of remember how hogville touted rob smith as the greatest thing since Velcro pretty recently.... I'm not sure if changing assistants is the magic bullet.
The same people that love Brett.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jgphillips3

CBB may have a big buyout to keep him warm but his level of failure here is hurting his ability to go anywhere else.  The national media have already begun to pounce.  If anyone worth a darn is advising Bret, they are telling him to offer two or three sacrificial lambs on the coaching altar and throw money at an established DC to come here.  A solid defense could boost him to 9 win territory if the offense doesn't go into a tailspin.

Madface Magician

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 01, 2017, 05:07:27 pm
CBB may have a big buyout to keep him warm but his level of failure here is hurting his ability to go anywhere else.  The national media have already begun to pounce.  If anyone worth a darn is advising Bret, they are telling him to offer two or three sacrificial lambs on the coaching altar and throw money at an established DC to come here.  A solid defense could boost him to 9 win territory if the offense doesn't go into a tailspin

Correct .......2 at least maybe as many as 4........Diaco is in the mix, among others......let it play out !!!