Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Calling It. Robb Smith is Gone

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, December 31, 2016, 10:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

First I have no inside knowledge.  What I do have is 30+ years in Arkansas and reading the drivel that is "Like it is" by one Wallace Marion Hall in the ADG.

Wallace does not criticize a sitting coach unless that coach's departure has already happened or is in the works. He is not going to risk angering anyone at the UofA or jeopardizing access.  He has plenty of opportunities to do so but never does, unless of course the coach is on his way out and then he's just laying ground work, ie doing his usual work as a mouthpiece.

Two days ago for example, nary a tweet of criticism or snark leveled toward BB or the program.  Follow his twitter feed tonight and he is all over the CFP for picking OSU and cracking wise about their failings and OSU's poor performance.  In his column yesterday again no criticism for the coach and actually praised his filibuster moment.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but now here's my point.  Wallace tweeted this out a little while ago.

[tweet]815400514661842944[/tweet]

This is about as strong a comment as you will get from him.  No way he tweets this unless he's sure or has been told a change is coming at the DC position.  He is not going to risk angering anyone.  This is as close to a stone cold lock as you can get.  Not saying it's going to be Venables but a change is coming and when it happens Wallace will tell us why it had to occur and why the new good is the best thing since Tex Mex.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ballz2thewall

actually, wally called out rob smith a few weeks ago.

he penned a column that focused on assistant salaries. he highlited rob smith's salary, compared it to enos, and others throughout the league.

this was after the missouri game. the timing of the article was such that the implied focus was designed to spotlight smith.

this tweet is following that path
The rest of the frog.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 31, 2016, 10:07:57 pm
actually, wally called out rob smith a few weeks ago.

he penned a column that focused on assistant salaries. he highlited rob smith's salary, compared it to enos, and others throughout the league.

this was after the missouri game. the timing of the article was such that the implied focus was designed to spotlight smith.

this tweet is following that path

Thanks, we gave up the paper about a year ago.  I wanted to save some trees.  My wife asked for it back as a Christmas present and I relented.

Only makes more sense now.  So it is written so it shall be.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

longpig

Why would he mention Venables to hint that CRS is getting shown the door?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The Boar War

Bob Diaco is a Broyles Award winner....

Sir Oinksalot

...haha, exactly, he should be somewhere squatting on a mushroom ...lmao.

Gruuuuuud
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawg Life

Hawg Life

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 31, 2016, 10:02:39 pm
First I have no inside knowledge.  What I do have is 30+ years in Arkansas and reading the drivel that is "Like it is" by one Wallace Marion Hall in the ADG.

Wallace does not criticize a sitting coach unless that coach's departure has already happened or is in the works. He is not going to risk angering anyone at the UofA or jeopardizing access.  He has plenty of opportunities to do so but never does, unless of course the coach is on his way out and then he's just laying ground work, ie doing his usual work as a mouthpiece.

Two days ago for example, nary a tweet of criticism or snark leveled toward BB or the program.  Follow his twitter feed tonight and he is all over the CFP for picking OSU and cracking wise about their failings and OSU's poor performance.  In his column yesterday again no criticism for the coach and actually praised his filibuster moment.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but now here's my point.  Wallace tweeted this out a little while ago.

[tweet]815400514661842944[/tweet]

This is about as strong a comment as you will get from him.  No way he tweets this unless he's sure or has been told a change is coming at the DC position.  He is not going to risk angering anyone.  This is as close to a stone cold lock as you can get.  Not saying it's going to be Venables but a change is coming and when it happens Wallace will tell us why it had to occur and why the new good is the best thing since Tex Mex.

He and Segrest are gone. Anderson is safe, but if the OL underperformed early he may be shown the door during next season.

jgphillips3

With an average defensive coordinator, we would have been 9-4 this season.  With a top notch DC the losses would not have been humiliating and we might have cracked double digits by beating A&M along with Mizzou and VT.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 01, 2017, 02:54:12 am
With an average defensive coordinator, we would have been 9-4 this season.  With a top notch DC the losses would not have been humiliating and we might have cracked double digits by beating A&M along with Mizzou and VT.

Our last two losses we scored zero points in the second half. How about we fire the OC too.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

jgphillips3

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 01, 2017, 03:08:21 am
Our last two losses we scored zero points in the second half. How about we fire the OC too.

Nah.  He was up and down this year at times but the offense was good in all games except Auburn and LSU.  The defense was just flat bad unless they ran into a terribly one dimensional offense.  The OC has shown he can run a good offense and adapt.  The DC has had two straight years where the defense has gotten worse year over year.  The OC has earned his job and deserves time.  The DC does not.

koreaben

I posted a similar thing yesterday.  Ways to get creative to convince the difference maker type coaches to leave their current situations.  Below

I know there is no coaching vacancy at the moment, and I am generally not one for playing the "what if" when there is no vacancy, but what do you think the Razorback Foundation and the major donors are willing to pay for upgrades in various coaching positions?  In that regard, and getting creative to pry some of the top talents away from the "power schools" at the moment, here are a few thoughts.  Is it too much $ or too out there?
Could Arkansas offer someone like Brent Venables (who else?) 1,500,000 - 2,000,000/year and then get creative with other aspects?  For example: Top 30 defense=250,000, Top 20 defense=500,000, Top 10 defense=1,000,000 bonus? 
Longer-term contract with a high buyout could also be an additional perk to get someone like this in in the program.  4 or 5-year contract with a buyout protection of salary amount/year that doesn't drop below 5,000,000 buyout for for the entire 5 years gets him security and incentive to leave his current job.  If he completes the 5 years, he gets an additional bonus of 2,000,000?  Or more, I don't know? 
Something like this could apply to a variety of position coaches as needed.  A little something extra above and beyond base salary to entice the coaches, position or coordinators, to leave their current "good" situation as needed.
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

RexMentor

Its spot on. It's VB as DC. The Snyder connection makes it an all but certain lock.

hhousewps

January 01, 2017, 06:51:02 am #18 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:42:00 am by hhousewps
Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 01, 2017, 04:25:46 am
Nah.  He was up and down this year at times but the offense was good in all games except Auburn and LSU.  The defense was just flat bad unless they ran into a terribly one dimensional offense.  The OC has shown he can run a good offense and adapt.  The DC has had two straight years where the defense has gotten worse year over year.  The OC has earned his job and deserves time.  The DC does not.

I guess we have different definitions of up and down, because IMO the offensive playcalling has left much to be desired. His playcalling as been suspect in the 2nd half of games to say the least. When you combine SEC games with our bowl game, we've been outscored in the second half 67 to 184. Over those nine games, we've averaged 7.4 points in the 2nd half. Let me say that again, in 2 quarters of football, we average a touchdown.

Everyone seems to say that Enos is some QB whisperer. I don't have enough digits to count the amount of times Allen has taken a loss of yardage while outside the tackle box this season. Does Enos not teach him to throw the ball away? Not to mention the amount of interceptions he throws into double or triple coverage, two of which were in the VT game. A good QB coach would absolutely squash that.

And before you try and come back with how bad our O-line is, that we didn't have weapons, or we become one dimensional, lets not forget that we had no problem putting up points in the first half of games this season. In those same 9 games, we put up 167 points in the 1st half. Playcalling in the second half of games when opponents make adjustments becomes predictable and unimaginative. Not to mention how many times we stalled out inside the red-zone this season due to poor play-calling. Something has got to change across the board on this staff. Letting go of Smith may not be good enough.  It seems like once our team's original game-plan is figured out and adjusted for after halftime we fall apart and fail to make the necessary adjustments ourselves. It's not just a problem with our defense, it's team-wide.

Kevin

The offense was great in 15 and uneven in 16. The defense has bad Wful for two straight years.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SemperFi

I really hope that Coach B will bring in someone, anyone that knows defense and can fix what's broken and recruit some real defensive talent to give us a top 25 defense (baby steps).

I'm not sure that anyone can blame Enos for the offensive performance the last two games. Players need to execute and they simply weren't getting it done. The OL couldn't run block or protect AA, plus he turned into a turnover machine making some very bad throws trying to make something that wasn't there happen. We cannot blame Kurt Anderson for the condition of the OL, because he didn't recruit any of the current players and we can all agree that we were short on talent in that area thanks to Sam Pittman.

Coach B deserves the criticism until he puts together a staff that can get it done both in coaching ability and in recruiting.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Venables Ain't coming here. He is talking about Diaco

nwahogfan1

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 01, 2017, 03:08:21 am

Offensive coaches have to find a way to run the ball particularly in the 2nd half to protect a lead. OC has to do better at play calling, scheming at half time and most importantly at recruiting OLM to get the job done.

JackJohnson

I would love to hire Diaco, who would also bring William Inge with him as the LB coach.

A defensive staff next year of the below would actually be the upgrade and best defensive staff that we have been promised for 4 years. 

Diaco DC
Rhoades Assistant Head coach for Defense/secondary
Partridge Associate Head coach for Defense/Special teams Co/Defensive Line
Inge LB coach

nwahogfan1

When should we hear something about coaches leaving?  After the NC game?  I hope sooner the better.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Kevin on January 01, 2017, 07:08:57 am
The offense was great in 15 and uneven in 16. The defense has bad Wful for two straight years.

The offense and defense lost the VT game... They were beaten down until WE turned it over. Then the wheels felloft.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2017, 07:44:52 am
Venables Ain't coming here. He is talking about Diaco

I don't know about the last part, but the first part is 100% correct, Venables wouldn't come for the HC job and pay, much less DC.

parallaxpig

There's gonna be more the the DC leaving...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 08:21:02 am
I don't know about the last part, but the first part is 100% correct, Venables wouldn't come for the HC job and pay, much less DC.

Not saying Diaco is coming. But that is who he was alluding too

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2017, 08:33:38 am

Wally knows Mexican restaurants, that's what Wally knows.

26.2Hog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2017, 08:33:38 am

Agree.  Didn't Beliema and Diaco play together at Iowa?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: koreaben on January 01, 2017, 06:39:42 am
I posted a similar thing yesterday.  Ways to get creative to convince the difference maker type coaches to leave their current situations.  Below

I know there is no coaching vacancy at the moment, and I am generally not one for playing the "what if" when there is no vacancy, but what do you think the Razorback Foundation and the major donors are willing to pay for upgrades in various coaching positions?  In that regard, and getting creative to pry some of the top talents away from the "power schools" at the moment, here are a few thoughts.  Is it too much $ or too out there?
Could Arkansas offer someone like Brent Venables (who else?) 1,500,000 - 2,000,000/year and then get creative with other aspects?  For example: Top 30 defense=250,000, Top 20 defense=500,000, Top 10 defense=1,000,000 bonus? 
Longer-term contract with a high buyout could also be an additional perk to get someone like this in in the program.  4 or 5-year contract with a buyout protection of salary amount/year that doesn't drop below 5,000,000 buyout for for the entire 5 years gets him security and incentive to leave his current job.  If he completes the 5 years, he gets an additional bonus of 2,000,000?  Or more, I don't know? 
Something like this could apply to a variety of position coaches as needed.  A little something extra above and beyond base salary to entice the coaches, position or coordinators, to leave their current "good" situation as needed.

I'm sick of long term contracts with high buyouts. I'm fine with a bonus for length ONLY if both on and off field performance measures are met.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SCHawgfan

I just read up on Diaco, he would be quite the get as DC at UA. Hell if he can teach them to tackle properly I would be  just damn skippy.

Torqued pork

This isn't really related and happened in a very time, but I remember getting the old Arkansas Gazette and reading a slightly negative column on Lou Holtz by Orville Henry. It was the only criticism I had heard or read by a member of the state's sports media. Holtz was gone within a week.

toxichog

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are in denial of the reality of where Arkansas stands in the world of college football.  OUTSIDE of the state people's perception is that it's a basketball school. They remember the good old day when we were feared by all in roundball. 
We are a middle of the pack SEC football program with recruiting challenges that add an extra challenge.  Clemson is a football school, always has been.  Dabo has them at or real near the top of the college football world.
But Brent Venables is going to leave Clemson and move to Fayetteville to take on the SEC West every year.......for money........of which he already makes a ton, and I'm sure. Clemson would be happy to give him more.  It is simply delusional.

The NewEra

In response to a few of the post on here.

1)  I'm a huge fan of performance based compensation. Something like this would make great sense in this era of very high salaries.

2)  It's past time for Rob to go. 

3)  I wonder how Bielema will use the new coaching position that schools are now allowed?

4)  It's time we put a very aggressive defense on the field.  All of the teams who are tough to beat come at you practically every down.  We haven't seen that type of defense around here in quite some time.

5)  I expected a lot more from this football team this year.  We better make great strides next year or it's going to get real ugly in AR.

6)  I want success on the football field, not a head coaching change.  Every time we start over it sets the program back another 3-4 yrs.  I hope Bielema gets it going in the right direction.

TNhawgfan

You think Wally knows smith is gone AND diaco is his replacement? Hilarious
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ricepig

1) Good luck on the performance based pay, although Dabo has picked up $1.3M this season in them. However, he was paid more than our coach to start with.

2) I hear just wait

3) This hasn't passed yet, so too early to tell

4) Blitz! Now get the recruits to do it

5) TBD

6) True

Torqued pork

Quote from: toxichog on January 01, 2017, 08:59:48 am
It never ceases to amaze me how many people are in denial of the reality of where Arkansas stands in the world of college football.  OUTSIDE of the state people's perception is that it's a basketball school. They remember the good old day when we were feared by all in roundball. 
We are a middle of the pack SEC football program with recruiting challenges that add an extra challenge.  Clemson is a football school, always has been.  Dabo has them at or real near the top of the college football world.
But Brent Venables is going to leave Clemson and move to Fayetteville to take on the SEC West every year.......for money........of which he already makes a ton, and I'm sure. Clemson would be happy to give him more.  It is simply delusional.
Quote from: toxichog on January 01, 2017, 08:59:48 am
I certainly don't. Diaco doesn't seem so far-fetched, though.

sowmonella

Gotta be careful with the timing. NSD in Feb with a very nice class on the way. I don't see anything happening until then.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

King Kong

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 01, 2017, 09:03:22 am
You think Wally knows smith is gone AND diaco is his replacement? Hilarious

It's possible he believes Smith is gone and Diaco is a logical replacement

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on January 01, 2017, 09:51:23 am
It's possible he believes Smith is gone and Diaco is a logical replacement

It's possible he spilled his drink on his colum/napkin and wrote another one while eating.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 08:42:21 am
Wally knows Mexican restaurants, that's what Wally knows.

Not saying he has inside info. Just he is alluding to what so many other posters have here as well

depressed_fan

Dwight, allow me to throw out a few theories;

1.) that newspaper has been struggling to survive 7 days a week for a few years now.  Just b/c the policy has been to never criticize coaches as you stated, that doesn't mean it will always be the policy.  The chief editors may be ready to push the envelope especially if Hog coverage isn't pulling it's own in advertisements. If message board forums are allowed to be critical, the newspaper is left out in the cold.

2.) Probably more than that though, Hall may be floating the idea out there to allow readers ask themselves if they want to pay more for tickets, to offset the cost for such a substantial coaching change.  After all you're going to pay Smith some sort of buy out even if he goes somewhere else you pay the difference. And Diaco is likely going to be more expensive than Smith.

ricepig

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 01, 2017, 10:16:41 am
Dwight, allow me to throw out a few theories;

1.) that newspaper has been struggling to survive 7 days a week for a few years now.  Just b/c the policy has been to never criticize coaches as you stated, that doesn't mean it will always be the policy.  The chief editors may be ready to push the envelope especially if Hog coverage isn't pulling it's own in advertisements. If message board forums are allowed to be critical, the newspaper is left out in the cold.

2.) Probably more than that though, Hall may be floating the idea out there to allow readers ask themselves if they want to pay more for tickets, to offset the cost for such a substantial coaching change.  After all you're going to pay Smith some sort of buy out even if he goes somewhere else you pay the difference. And Diaco is likely going to be more expensive than Smith.

#2 is easily in the budget, #1, I doubt it but it's possible.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Basically supports HC but let's fans know changes are on the way
[tweet]815589545773334532[/tweet]

StoernerJonesFan

My vote is for Pete Kwiatkowski...his defense held pretty tight for the most part against Bama.
He's only making $600k per USAtoday...pay him Smith's salary plus incentives.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 07:58:11 am
I would love to hire Diaco, who would also bring William Inge with him as the LB coach.

A defensive staff next year of the below would actually be the upgrade and best defensive staff that we have been promised for 4 years. 

Diaco DC
Rhoades Assistant Head coach for Defense/secondary
Partridge Associate Head coach for Defense/Special teams Co/Defensive Line
Inge LB coach
yes please!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on January 01, 2017, 10:24:24 am
My vote is for Pete Kwiatkowski...his defense held pretty tight for the most part against Bama.
He's only making $600k per USAtoday...pay him Smith's salary plus incentives.
WTH did pete win the broyels' award? what did i miss?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

longtimeHogfan

Robb Smith
Kurt Anderson
Vernon Hargraves and, maybe...
Rory Segrest. 

Promote Paul Rhoads to DC and let him fill those vacancies. 

And maybe Dan Enos.  The bloom's sorta' off his rose for me too. 

And this time next year if we aren't 10-2?  CBB.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.