Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Down SEC and still a mediocre finish

Started by BirdDawg, December 31, 2016, 11:57:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BirdDawg

The season outcome outrcome stings beyond the 2 game collapse when you think the SEC outside of Bama was not real good.

What would have been the Hogs record if it was much better historically like it has been? 4-8?? Not fairing better then we did in an off year is a bad sign. We think we are off a little. Stepping back I think we are a long ways away to being a really good football team on a National scale.

Dr. Starcs

That's another thing that bothers me. Could have very easily been a sugar bowl for us this year. The rest of the league was wide open.

Hogwild

miss read the title I thought it was about the SEC and mediocre finish in bowl games

PonderinHog

Razor Ramon

I absolutely believe that we had the potential to be the 2nd best team in the SEC and after the TCU game I was convinced 10 wins were coming.

Razorbackers

The SEC, as whole, is down...and you don't think we're a part of that?

How does that work?

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 31, 2016, 07:09:59 pm
The SEC, as whole, is down...and you don't think we're a part of that?

How does that work?

He's right, though.  This is the kind of year we have to take advantage of.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 31, 2016, 07:11:54 pm
He's right, though.  This is the kind of year we have to take advantage of.

No, last year was. This year most had us about where we finished. Last year was our 10 win season.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 07:16:34 pm
No, last year was. This year most had us about where we finished. Last year was our 10 win season.

I'm saying that for us to have a big season, we have to take advantage of a down SEC.

But yes, we certainly underperformed last year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 31, 2016, 07:17:30 pm
I'm saying that for us to have a big season, we have to take advantage of a down SEC.

But yes, we certainly underperformed last year.

Well, we cycle too, so I guess it's one's perspective.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 07:20:03 pm
Well, we cycle too, so I guess it's one's perspective.

Sure.  We're not always going to be up when the rest of the SEC is down.  And yes, we finished where many expected before the season, but I also think the SEC was worse than expected, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BirdDawg on December 31, 2016, 11:57:52 am
The season outcome outrcome stings beyond the 2 game collapse when you think the SEC outside of Bama was not real good.

What would have been the Hogs record if it was much better historically like it has been? 4-8?? Not fairing better then we did in an off year is a bad sign. We think we are off a little. Stepping back I think we are a long ways away to being a really good football team on a National scale.

LSU wasn't down especially down the stretch.  They were loaded and played like it in Fay.

AU wasn't when they had a healthy qb. 

You are reaching. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 31, 2016, 07:23:35 pm
Sure.  We're not always going to be up when the rest of the SEC is down.  And yes, we finished where many expected before the season, but I also think the SEC was worse than expected, too.

Well, it's kind of like the old lady, you've got to keep me up to date on the cycle.

HiggiePiggy

Last year was a good chance for us that we failed and this year should have been a 9 win season if they knew how to play a second half. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bubba's Bruisers

There were 4 teams in our own division better than we were.  The MO game was the only surprise outcome, So very few surprises this season.  Overall, Talent is still lacking. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 31, 2016, 07:27:18 pm
Last year was a good chance for us that we failed and this year should have been a 9 win season if they knew how to play a second half.

If we could have run the ball to close games.  Even with a historically bad defense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ghostzapper

JackJohnson

Outside of bama the sec was a steaming pile of hot garbage this year.  I was embarrassed trying to defend the league to my uncle from Michigan over the holidays to the point I had to accept reality that if not for bama the conference was barely above G5 this year

nwahogfan1

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 08:01:22 am
Outside of bama the sec was a steaming pile of hot garbage this year.  I was embarrassed trying to defend the league to my uncle from Michigan over the holidays to the point I had to accept reality that if not for bama the conference was barely above G5 this year

Conferences go through these cycles. Down herevin SEC country we always think we play the best football but not always through. We were probable 3rd this year.  We will see how we finish in the bowls.

code red

Quote from: BirdDawg on December 31, 2016, 11:57:52 am

Mediocre finish???....It was a flipping disaster of a finish.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogwild

Quote from: ghostzapper on December 31, 2016, 08:01:19 pm
ACC is new SEC

Ga Tech, Fla State, Clemson & NC State went 8-0 vs SEC (Ole Miss, Auburn, UGA, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandyx2)

UNC & UL, 0-3 (UGA, UK, LSU)

VA Tech 1-1 (UT, Arkansas)

9-4 with one big one pending

BirdDawg

Quote from: code red on January 01, 2017, 08:14:58 am
Mediocre finish???....It was a flipping disaster of a finish.

Not sure what you are referring to as mediocre finish? Was nowhere in my comment.

To the guy saying LSU and Auburn were good....4 losses each. I guess our opinions of GOOD football is different. LSU Was loaded with talent and underperformed. This was a great year to seize the opportunity of a down SEC and use it to our advantage. Hogs missed the opportunity.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BirdDawg on January 01, 2017, 11:33:41 am
Not sure what you are referring to as mediocre finish? Was nowhere in my comment.

To the guy saying LSU and Auburn were good....4 losses each. I guess our opinions of GOOD football is different. LSU Was loaded with talent and underperformed. This was a great year to seize the opportunity of a down SEC and use it to our advantage. Hogs missed the opportunity.

Not the week we played them.  Sept AM>Nov AM.  Sept Oct OM > Nov OM.  We played AU when they had a healthy qb unlike what they had in Nov.   no excuse for 56-3 or the last two meltdowns

Do some of you really think teams are same every week and throughout season?  SEC was a roller coaster this season.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ghostzapper on December 31, 2016, 08:01:19 pm
ACC is new SEC

Overreaction

Sumlin and AM were going to dominate SEC and take down Saban according to many here.

Hogwild

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 31, 2016, 12:02:33 pm
That's another thing that bothers me. Could have very easily been a sugar bowl for us this year. The rest of the league was wide open.

14 teams in the league only two had worse conference records than us, & we split with those two.  SEC the sec was down, but we were much closer to the bottom than the Sugar Bowl.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogwild on January 01, 2017, 11:20:46 am
Ga Tech, Fla State, Clemson & NC State went 8-0 vs SEC (Ole Miss, Auburn, UGA, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandyx2)

UNC & UL, 0-3 (UGA, UK, LSU)

VA Tech 1-1 (UT, Arkansas)

9-4 with one big one pending

stats are telling.. any idea how many of them the ACC was the dog/favorite.. maybe not, but seemed we played up in a few of those losses... 

Calling All Hogs

We didn't just lose to a down SEC, we were blown out in 4 games. We were blown out in 4/6 of games we played against SEC West opponents. Of the 2 we won, we still gave up 42 points to Miss State. The season was going badly before the last 2 games. The last 2 games just made it that much worse.