Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ya'll got him "flinching"

Started by snoot hoggy hog, December 30, 2016, 11:22:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on December 31, 2016, 07:12:12 pm
Want to see and understand what is at least one problem with Bret Bielema.  His inventory statement says it all.  We'll inventory everything, offense, defense, special teams, personnel, recruiting, Staff:::::
Right after staff he should have said, "MYSELF."  Think about that Hogville.  Can't have anything to do with me, hell, I'm the head coach.

Also PRJ who can get carried away worse then me, in answering Wilson, posted a very, very good post with explaining the inner self of BB.  He hit the nail on the head.

As for Arkansas fans and especially those on Hogville being different than other SEC fan bases, horse hockey.  SEC football programs who wish to at least not embarrass themselves annually would not put up with this HC.  He would be dismissed at any SEC West school for this crappy program he has produced.  I totally understand why we shouldn't fire the Guy.  The damn cost is just too much versus the good it would do the program.

And BB did not say he wanted to win Championships, he said we would win championships.  He said he didn't come here to play BAMA, he came here to beat BAMA.  He brayed on forever about the HUNH until he looked plumb stupid.  BB let his alligator mouth overload his, well, angus bull ass.

So, you read minds, who knew?

Rice, I sometimes think you you are smart, then come to my senses.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgon on December 31, 2016, 05:07:59 pm
Do you win?  In every profession, in every job, and in every classroom there are the guys who can accomplish in one hour what it takes another five hours to do.  We are adults and we are all responsible for figuring out what sort of person we are and allotting our time accordingly.  If we get our work done with good results, then we are spending enough time on it, if not then we aren't.

I can buy this.

I might add - how deep is your staff? Do you go "coordinator" deep? Do you have elite position coaches? That eliminates some of the workload, too, when all nine can carry their weight.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Anyone watching the Clemson/Ohio State game.  Note the chairs on the Clemson sideline in a semicircle.  Arkansas and its overpaid HC could learn something right there.  Yep, that is likely a coach stand in front of those chairs doing some teaching and talking strategy.

NOTE: Rice will believe I am mind reading again.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on December 31, 2016, 07:19:09 pm
Rice, I sometimes think you you are smart, then come to my senses.

Well, that's the difference in you and me, I've never thought you were.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on December 31, 2016, 07:22:47 pm
Anyone watching the Clemson/Ohio State game.  Note the chairs on the Clemson sideline in a semicircle.  Arkansas and its overpaid HC could learn something right there.  Yep, that is likely a coach stand in front of those chairs doing some teaching and talking strategy.

NOTE: Rice will believe I am mind reading again.

I guess you don't go to our games, we do the same thing. I realize you have some mental hangup with Bielema, but try to keep your rants at least a little believable.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 31, 2016, 05:51:08 pm
Most of our conference foes would have shown Bielema the door after the double debacle.
You can't actually believe the LSU, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Miss St. fan bases would be taking this any better than Hog fans.

But they haven't shown those coaches the door.

Miles was on the "hot seat" for several years, damn near fired last year but given the chance to coach another game he won and saved his butt for another year (2016). When he had his oops this fall they didn't give him a chance to save himself, they fired him the next morning.

Sumlin has discipline and personal problems that have cost the program a lot of transfers and put the school in the headlines for the wrong reasons. If our AD were in charge we might not see Sumlin again, but CBB meets the expectations set forth by the university.

Freeze, he of the looming NCAA hammer, might have been purged already as well. Instead, he has purged a bunch of assistants (or they've jumped ship before it sinks).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgon

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:22:22 pm
I can buy this.

I might add - how deep is your staff? Do you go "coordinator" deep? Do you have elite position coaches? That eliminates some of the workload, too, when all nine can carry their weight.

Ain't nobody responsible for that staff and making sure they put in the work but Brett Beliema.

But Oklahog, BB hired the best staff in college football that first year and by his own intentions, has bettered on that each and every time he has replaced a part.  Shoot, we had folks on Hogville stating that first staff was our best staff ever and likely the best staff ever assembled in college football. 

Seriously, your point is well taken and is a very valid point.

Miles averaged nearly 10 wins per season while at LSU and won a NC.  Freeze may have cheated his way to the top but he did get way up there and watch what happens if he is found at fault and if he doesn't win.  He likely has 2017 to produce or hit the bricks after this year he just had. Sumlin has been kept but he did beat BAMA (we can't say that) and beat our ass 5 years in a row which is real important to that fanbase. And even at the level Sumlin has won, it is still an increase over what was there before.  I bet Sumlin is fired before BB is fired, way before, Freeze too.

Oklahawg

Want to see and understand what is at least one problem with Bret Bielema.  His inventory statement says it all.  We'll inventory everything, offense, defense, special teams, personnel, recruiting, Staff:::::
Right after staff he should have said, "MYSELF."  Think about that Hogville.  Can't have anything to do with me, hell, I'm the head coach.

I'm not sure I'd pin my message board resume to exact quotes from coaches. I would bet a month's paycheck (yours or mine) that if asked a follow-up question about his role in this you would get the answer you want, as well as an explanation that the review would have to start at the top with him.

In fact, I'd bet both of our paychecks.

QuoteAlso PRJ who can get carried away worse then me, in answering Wilson, posted a very, very good post with explaining the inner self of BB.  He hit the nail on the head.

I think that actually is mostly backwards. I want my coach to be an egomaniac. I want a coach who has a swagger - I need my team to have a swagger and these things begin with the coaches. I don't know of a successful HC who doesn't have a life (albeit, limited) outside of football. I will not deny any coach that - if you want to then you are setting the bar higher than any coach, including Lord Nick.

QuoteAs for Arkansas fans and especially those on Hogville being different than other SEC fan bases, horse hockey.  SEC football programs who wish to at least not embarrass themselves annually would not put up with this HC.  He would be dismissed at any SEC West school for this crappy program he has produced.  I totally understand why we shouldn't fire the Guy.  The damn cost is just too much versus the good it would do the program.

And BB did not say he wanted to win Championships, he said we would win championships.  He said he didn't come here to play BAMA, he came here to beat BAMA.  He brayed on forever about the HUNH until he looked plumb stupid.  BB let his alligator mouth overload his, well, angus bull ass.

Freeze and Sumlin have had scandalous moments. Still there. Freeze has the NCAA lurking around. Still there. Miles took how many years to be fired? MS State collapses without Dak. Still there. While I get the angst (and, yes, those last two losses were pretty damning) I think we are guilty of proximity bias. We are around it, and love it, so we notice it more than we should.

And, while you might not like the chatter about sickle cell or HUNH or ... that is largely a by-product of an off-season that begs for talking points. Getting people to talk about UA football in June or July is a pretty good thing in my book.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:26:53 pm

Miles was on the "hot seat" for several years, damn near fired last year but given the chance to coach another game he won and saved his butt for another year (2016). When he had his oops this fall they didn't give him a chance to save himself, they fired him the next morning.

Sumlin has discipline and personal problems that have cost the program a lot of transfers and put the school in the headlines for the wrong reasons. If our AD were in charge we might not see Sumlin again, but CBB meets the expectations set forth by the university.

Freeze, he of the looming NCAA hammer, might have been purged already as well. Instead, he has purged a bunch of assistants (or they've jumped ship before it sinks).

You really gonna compare Les with here? Seriously?

Les won some championships. Bret ain't won jack. Sumlin has owned Bret. Freeze not so much but he took over a cheating dumpster fire that Nutt left.

You're stretching with this one.

PRJ

Dwight_K_Shrute

The biggest similarity with Bielema and Nutt that I see is how they foster unity in the fan base.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:35:02 pm
I'm not sure I'd pin my message board resume to exact quotes from coaches. I would bet a month's paycheck (yours or mine) that if asked a follow-up question about his role in this you would get the answer you want, as well as an explanation that the review would have to start at the top with him.

In fact, I'd bet both of our paychecks.

I think that actually is mostly backwards. I want my coach to be an egomaniac. I want a coach who has a swagger - I need my team to have a swagger and these things begin with the coaches. I don't know of a successful HC who doesn't have a life (albeit, limited) outside of football. I will not deny any coach that - if you want to then you are setting the bar higher than any coach, including Lord Nick.

Freeze and Sumlin have had scandalous moments. Still there. Freeze has the NCAA lurking around. Still there. Miles took how many years to be fired? MS State collapses without Dak. Still there. While I get the angst (and, yes, those last two losses were pretty damning) I think we are guilty of proximity bias. We are around it, and love it, so we notice it more than we should.

And, while you might not like the chatter about sickle cell or HUNH or ... that is largely a by-product of an off-season that begs for talking points. Getting people to talk about UA football in June or July is a pretty good thing in my book.

Swagger? You call what he does and says swagger? I guess if he backed it up....you could call it swagger. 4 full years in and it isn't swagger, it's in over your head. It's clownshoes is what it is.

Stretching once again.

PRJ

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 07:44:31 pm
Swagger? You call what he does and says swagger? I guess if he backed it up....you could call it swagger. 4 full years in and it isn't swagger, it's in over your head. It's clownshoes is what it is.

Stretching once again.

PRJ

Swagger is when you can and have backed it up. Being a blowhard is when you haven't and can't.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoglady

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:26:53 pm

I know Bielema isn't going anywhere - and probably never will be shown the door as long as he wins 6 games a year.
Doesn't mean the fans have to be happy with it.

Couple of reasons probably for Freeze not being shown the door - he's beaten Bama a couple of times, made a New Year's Six bowl (won it) and who could they hire at this point in the middle of the NCAA mess he created? When all that dust settles I expect there's a pretty good chance he could be fired.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 31, 2016, 07:52:18 pm
Swagger is when you can and have backed it up. Being a blowhard is when you haven't and can't.

Blowhard is where he stands for now.
[CENSORED]!

26.2Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 31, 2016, 07:52:18 pm

Exactly.  Was it swagger when he ran his mouth about Ohio State having an easy schedule?  Well,  the next week he got his a$$ kicked by Toledo.  So no, it wasn't swagger.  It was pure blowhard.

WilsonHog

Truth be told, highlighting stuff such as graduation rate is nothing more than rationalization in an attempt to divert attention from on-field performance. Don't have much else to hang our hats on, so let's play up the "our kids do right and graduate" angle. Me included.

If I am completely honest, if I was watching my team in the playoffs today, I probably wouldn't even think about graduation rate beyond the need to meet APR.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 31, 2016, 07:59:18 pm
Exactly.  Was it swagger when he ran his mouth about Ohio State having an easy schedule?  Well,  the next week he got his a$$ kicked by Toledo.  So no, it wasn't swagger.  It was pure blowhard.

Oh my...I had forgot about that one....

Furiously scribbling in my notes....

PRJ

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Does anyone believe that If working 20 hour days was the only way for a coaching staff to be successful that Nick Saban and his staff would work only 12?

In fact, if the time spent working was directly proportional to wins, there is no doubt in my mind that Saban would put in that time, plus more.

Bielema?  He absolutely seems like the kind of coach who would first ask how many wins it would take to guarantee his job, and then work just the amount of time needed to get there and not a minute more, hoping to get lucky the rest of the way.  I just don't think he has the drive needed to be successful in the SEC.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 31, 2016, 12:55:21 pm
How did he lose credibility?
You thought he was going to fire the DC between the Mizzou game and the bowl game?
No. I expected them to do something after Mizzou other than repeating the collapse the very next game.

roothawg

i think this yr is just a blip on the radar. alot of people will disagree but there is no way a coach in any confrence can wi 10 games or more 4 times in 7 yrs and not be a good coach. there are plenty of things to work on but i still have to believe it will get done.

ballz2thewall

since we're free-for-all'ing.......

like mulder, "i want to believe". but here's where i started having cbb doubts.

cheney.

this guy was touted on here, and by cbb as an offensive stud. so i say's to myself "ok, great."

i watch the games. i see some decent stuff, but nothing remarkable. then i notice the odd, sometimes inexplicable play-calling that seems to come from nowhere. much of it absolutely killed an otherwise effective rhythm.

and as far as i can tell, no hammer was raised from above to alter this. and cheney; i'll be honest; i just never liked the guy. something about him. i got the sense he thought he was too good to be here.

but what really bugged me is that is appeared cbb completely left it up to cheney to call whatthehellever he wanted wheneverthehell he wanted to call it.

then, of course, there's the early season slow starts.............

i do not think cheney is much of anything. i never saw anything from him that was remotely impressive. he was forever saying that we cannot throw screen passes. really? not even one?

this made me silently question cbb, early.

but again, like mulder, "i want to believe".
The rest of the frog.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Boar War on December 30, 2016, 11:43:03 pm
True.  But then he's always said what I wanted to hear.  Now I need to actually see it.
That's one thing he does have if the gift of gab...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: havok on December 31, 2016, 08:39:40 am
Yea.. He promised that the team was not going to have a 2nd Half Meltdown too.. I suppose now we have to wait to see it before believing it.
Yep, if you have a 24-0 lead at the half its time for smash mouth football. I don't care if your offensive line gets a penalty, gets you behind the chains, and it's 1st and 15 or 2nd and 7 its time to run the ball. Whatever you do don't turn the ball over. That's the quickest way for the opponent to get back into the game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 01, 2017, 11:27:23 am
Yep, if you have a 24-0 lead at the half its time for smash mouth football. I don't care if your offensive line gets a penalty, gets you behind the chains, and it's 1st and 15 or 2nd and 7 its time to run the ball. Whatever you do don't turn the ball over. That's the quickest way for the opponent to get back into the game.

If you are averaging less than a single yard per carry, you will be turning the ball over, it will just be on downs by punting. Just running the ball wasn't the answer against Va Tech.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 11:30:47 am
If you are averaging less than a single yard per carry, you will be turning the ball over, it will just be on downs by punting. Just running the ball wasn't the answer against Va Tech.
Rawleigh Williams was averaging 3 yards per carry. Not great but not bad enough to stop running it.
Would you rather have turned the ball over giving Virginia Tech a VERY short field or ran the ball at least on 1st and 2nd down also running some clock maybe or maybe not pick up the first down on 3rd and then punt them deep and make them drive a long field?

Sometimes it needs to turn into a battle of field position. When your up 24-0 and your playing the type of defense we were playing before the momentum switched is one of those times.

BTW: The momentum switched because the turnovers on offense gave them life.

GuvHog

Quote from: roothawg on December 31, 2016, 09:19:18 pm
i think this yr is just a blip on the radar. alot of people will disagree but there is no way a coach in any confrence can wi 10 games or more 4 times in 7 yrs and not be a good coach. there are plenty of things to work on but i still have to believe it will get done.

Sure there is a way for a coach to win 10 games or more in 7 seasons and not be a good coach. He just has to coach a team that plays in a weak division of any conference (Wisconsin) and use the system his AD implemented.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on January 01, 2017, 11:51:03 am
Sure there is a way for a coach to win 10 games or more in 7 seasons and not be a good coach. He just has to coach a team that plays in a weak division of any conference (Wisconsin) and use the system his AD implemented.
Well can you call his AD and see if we can use his system... ??? ...lol

PorkRinds

Also PRJ who can get carried away worse then me, in answering Wilson, posted a very, very good post with explaining the inner self of BB.  He hit the nail on the head.

As for Arkansas fans and especially those on Hogville being different than other SEC fan bases, horse hockey.  SEC football programs who wish to at least not embarrass themselves annually would not put up with this HC.  He would be dismissed at any SEC West school for this crappy program he has produced.  I totally understand why we shouldn't fire the Guy.  The damn cost is just too much versus the good it would do the program.

CBB is staff.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 07:44:31 pm

Stretching once again.

PRJ

I have a very hard time disagreeing with much of what you say nowadays.
This is my non-signature signature.

Granny fan

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2016, 10:12:45 am
"We will play a 4 quarter game, I can guarantee you that".......Enough said, if there is one thing he has excelled at since he swaggered through the door is talking.......

Best post I've read in a while!!

PearlHarbor

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 31, 2016, 10:46:19 am
There's a time to fight for your team as a coach by arguing with the refs (like taking a tech in basketball to fire the players up) and then there's a time when you just STFU. We had one of those "should have STFU" moments in the second quarter in the Belk Bowl. When Bielema spent a full 10 minutes arguing the holding penalty when we punted. Yes, we won the battle right there, but lost the war. For it was at that moment that the game turned on a dime. The Hokie defense took it personally and their fans got fired up and yes, they didn't score off of the Bielema filibuster as they missed a FG before half. But their defense came out with fire in their eyes in the second half and we started giving up points in droves. Every now and then, maybe just maybe when you are 24 up and all is going well, there comes a time to leave well enough alone. IMO, the whole game changed on the play in which Bielema spent a good 10 minutes on the field arguing with the referees.

I thought the same thing at the time. I knew right then we'd lose badly.

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on December 31, 2016, 07:27:46 pm
But Oklahog, BB hired the best staff in college football that first year and by his own intentions, has bettered on that each and every time he has replaced a part.  Shoot, we had folks on Hogville stating that first staff was our best staff ever and likely the best staff ever assembled in college football. 

Seriously, your point is well taken and is a very valid point.

CBB's staffs (plural) are better/deeper than any staff we've had in the SEC era. Doesn't mean that there aren't still same weaknesses to be fixed.

And, no one around here is willing to consider that the coaches might actually be really good if they were better recruiters (like, maybe, a Reggie Herring type coach - pretty good coach with no recruiting interest amongst a defensive staff that was filled with weak recruiters).

hawgon

A whole staff of pretty good coaches isn't as good as a staff of glorified clipboard holders and one mean micromanaging SOB at head coach.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 11:15:49 am
A whole staff of pretty good coaches isn't as good as a staff of glorified clipboard holders and one mean micromanaging SOB at head coach.
But when that guy leaves, you get a vacuum.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2016, 10:12:45 am
"We will play a 4 quarter game, I can guarantee you that".......Enough said, if there is one thing he has excelled at since he swaggered through the door is talking.......
We did play a 4 quarter game...The last 2 just weren't very good...