Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we talk about real stuff for a minute?

Started by Deep Shoat, December 30, 2016, 12:46:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 30, 2016, 09:18:29 pm
Well - not totally a talent issue.
The Allen/Morgan scenario you speak of - is basically 2 very selfish players intentionally shutting out other talented and needed players. Hatcher should never have to beg Austin Allen into voluntary workouts - ever.
And if he does, then maybe the coaches should question Allen's ability to lead the team.
Not surprised about Morgan - his blatant lack of effort last night when blocking for D Reed was obvious to anyone watching.

We can find these situations across the country at a number of schools. We can also find other issues at UA, but it is harder to read when the QB isn't involved.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hoglady

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 09:20:43 pm
We can find these situations across the country at a number of schools. We can also find other issues at UA, but it is harder to read when the QB isn't involved.

But really your QB absolutely can't be involved in that type stuff.
He needs to be the leader on the field and in the locker room that helps diffuse situations / not be the person helping to create them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRinds

So now we are saying that AA and Drew Morgan were sewing seeds of dissension in the locker room? Where is the proof of this assertion? That's a pretty damn big accusation to make without having any proof isn't it?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 09:25:15 pm
So now we are saying that AA and Drew Morgan were sewing seeds of dissension in the locker room? Where is the proof of this assertion? That's a pretty damn big accusation to make without having any proof isn't it?

This article implies something completely different.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/16/late-night-sessions-help-hatcher-bond-younger-alle/

PonderinHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 08:19:11 pm
"real stuff" = a fantastic attempt, and I appreciate it.

Man, that's a lot to unpack, Okla.  I hope it isn't true.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 09:27:12 pm
This article implies something completely different.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/16/late-night-sessions-help-hatcher-bond-younger-alle/

Is that the statement that is being taken as hatcher having to beg for workouts? Surely not because that's not what it said at all.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 09:29:07 pm
Is that the statement that is being taken as hatcher having to beg for workouts? Surely not because that's not what it said at all.

I have no idea.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 09:33:11 pm
I have no idea.

Oklahog isn't one to blow smoke usually. And this is the second time in as many days he's accused Morgan of being a cancer in the locker room. I'd like to hear something to back it up because it's the antithesis of what we've seen and heard for four years.

lakecityhog

So, a backup QB threw a lot of passes to a then backup WR and they clicked, and from this and the article sited above we get that Morgan is a bad teammate??? BULL

Talk about throwing stuff against the wall just to see what sticks!!!

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 30, 2016, 10:08:42 pm
So, a backup QB threw a lot of passes to a then backup WR and they clicked, and from this and the article sited above we get that Morgan is a bad teammate??? BULL

Uh, the article sited above was to dispute that,  or did you read the post?

PorkRinds

It's a pretty explosive accusation about Morgan and Allen.  I'm hoping to get more of an explanation.  Morgan being a cancer in the locker room is something I've literally never heard before.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 10:12:54 pm
It's a pretty explosive accusation about Morgan and Allen.  I'm hoping to get more of an explanation.  Morgan being a cancer in the locker room is something I've literally never heard before.
This really isn't about Morgan.  The worm is turning.

Bebop

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 30, 2016, 05:00:20 pm
Biggest problem this season was internal. Some players thought the wrong people were starting. Created dissention that led to meltdowns.

My assumption is that Bielema was playing favorites.

Bebop

Back to my main point - I have warmed to the notion that the offense scripted heavily to start games but when the script either ran out or defenses adjusted we were done. That is a talent issue, not a coaching issue, in my book.

Wait, what? So players are suppose to "wing-it" when the script runs out? Isn't it part of the responsibility of the coaches to adjust and call plays? If there is a deficiency somewhere (script running out), isn't it the responsibility of the coaches to off-set that?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Bebop on December 30, 2016, 10:28:19 pm
Wait, what? So players are suppose to "wing-it" when the script runs out? Isn't it part of the responsibility of the coaches to adjust and call plays? If there is a deficiency somewhere (script running out), isn't it the responsibility of the coaches to off-set that?

I think what he's saying is that once the scripted plays where AA is given the target are over and Enos is just calling plays that AA is only looking for Morgan. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 09:20:43 pm

And you called me a conspiracy theorist? LMAO.

It is all on the coaches. Your attempt to slyly lay blame on Drew Morgan is beyond pathetic.

Keep proping up your boy.  Sad

PRJ

Oklahawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 09:25:15 pm

No one is saying they sit around and plot a coup d'etat.

QBs have favorites; Drew is Austin's favorite. Drew was not the best WR on the team, as determined by the OC, based on the way scripting worked the last two games (I'm going to limit this to our two most recent offensive whiffs that ended the season).

Proof is right in front of you - go watch the tape.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig In The City

This is a question I expect the guy we pay 4 mil to should know the answer!  The fact that he now has to review A-Z tells me he does not have proper control of this program. I would expect year four for those lingering issues to have been resolved.

GlassofSwine

Bielema has had issues every year with melting down in some form or another. The blown OT loses vs A&M the loss to Toledo. His teams have never been good at finishing games. After the Ole Miss game he was commenting on how good we were playing only to get decimated by Auburn the next week. I think that Bielema byes into his own hype and slacks off when he thinks things are going well. I like Bielema but at this point his process is proving to be flawed. There is no reason outside of bad coaching that this team isn't sitting at 9-4 to end the year.

Oklahawg

Not throwing stuff at walls at all. Not saying Drew is a bad teammate in the sense of wanting the team to fail (far from it, kid had two fumbles where he was trying his best to help us win).  Drew has been the go-to guy for Austin Allen, but Hatcher (last two games) was the designated WR when plays were most likely scripted (opening of the game). Feed all of the Allen commentary about locking in on a receiver if you want to (it helps, but it isn't necessary) and you get where I'm headed.

This is not atypical - every QB has favorites. Morgan is a reliable target for Allen much of the time.

Again, watch film. Watch the interaction of players - who is in the middle of celebrations.

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 30, 2016, 09:35:35 pm
Oklahog isn't one to blow smoke usually. And this is the second time in as many days he's accused Morgan of being a cancer in the locker room. I'd like to hear something to back it up because it's the antithesis of what we've seen and heard for four years.

I think "cancer" is a bit beyond what is reasonable. I apologize if I have suggested as much.

Drew wants to win. Drew plays with passion. Drew makes plays.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a rub between players or groups of players, and that the coaches have "managed" this (in part) by the scripting of plays early in the game. Win more games and this isn't the issue it is today.

Oklahawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 30, 2016, 10:36:10 pm
And you called me a conspiracy theorist? LMAO.

It is all on the coaches. Your attempt to slyly lay blame on Drew Morgan is beyond pathetic.

Keep proping up your boy.  Sad

PRJ

I have no interest in falsely propping up CBB. Or, players for that matter. And, I'm not blaming players for any of this - that is for the coaches to manage.

How else can one respond when evidence derived from simply watching the games proves so many posts (and so many posters) to be brain-dead when it comes to the game of football?

Hey, I get it - we've had some ugly losses, with some really jarring moments that do not cast a favorable light on the coaches. We have game footage that proves all we need to know about player's (talent and otherwise).

Too many posts in too many threads can be described too easily as:
1. posters not really knowing football
2. posters not using the same eyes to watch UA football they use when watching other teams
3. Playstation mentality, that the game we all love is played like a video game.

Sorry if you really do "get it" but don't type it that way in your posts in this thread. I am just responding to what I read.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on December 30, 2016, 01:32:48 pm
V Tech was using deflated footballs the second half... Come on I'm trying to lighten the mood ;D

There were definitely more deflated balls on the Hog sideline.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 11:03:31 pm
No one is saying they sit around and plot a coup d'etat.

QBs have favorites; Drew is Austin's favorite. Drew was not the best WR on the team, as determined by the OC, based on the way scripting worked the last two games (I'm going to limit this to our two most recent offensive whiffs that ended the season).

Proof is right in front of you - go watch the tape.

This is a ridiculous argument. It is not uncommon for the a QB to have a better rapport with a receiver who may not be the most talented guy on the team. It's also not like Morgan hasn't put up good numbers. Last year he led the team in catches, yards and TD's with a different QB. Morgan did not play well in the 2nd half last night but acting like this is the reason Arkansas has fallen apart to end the last two games is a stretch. If Morgan doesn't fumble the ball on those 2 occasions in the 2nd half yesterday, this wouldn't even be an item up for discussion.

Oklahawg

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 30, 2016, 11:18:58 pm
Bielema has had issues every year with melting down in some form or another. The blown OT loses vs A&M the loss to Toledo. His teams have never been good at finishing games. After the Ole Miss game he was commenting on how good we were playing only to get decimated by Auburn the next week. I think that Bielema byes into his own hype and slacks off when he thinks things are going well. I like Bielema but at this point his process is proving to be flawed. There is no reason outside of bad coaching that this team isn't sitting at 9-4 to end the year.

I think CBB is his own worst enemy at something UA fans are particularly adept at identifying and calling BS: coachspeak. He can't (or won't) say the Nick Saban-esque line, "I am not answering that stupid question" in a presser so he just pukes something out that is Coaching 101 and we all buy it. Hook. Line. Sinker.

Do we really want a coach spending the 8 months we AREN'T playing football telling us the team is going to struggle to get to a bowl game, build an OL, or stop opponents before they've earned a first down every snap?

We assume that coach didn't see this well in advance. I am not convinced - either his acumen (and that of the staff) is horribly overrated (unworthy of coaching in D1, which might garner a nod of approval from some of you but most of us on a good day would not agree with that) or he is really guilty of blowing smoke up our arses.

The final option is that there is a variable missing that we haven't really identified, something beyond simple talent acquisition/development and coaching. Heck, maybe he really needs Barry Alvarez dropping by for a cup of coffee every Monday morning to get the gameplan clicking.

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 30, 2016, 12:46:28 pm
If all you have to add is the standard "Fire Somebody" idiocy, then please post in one of the myriad threads dedicated to that.

It has been more and more obvious, as the season progressed, that we struggle in the 2nd half.  So, the real talk question is "Why?".

Is it lack of depth and fatigue?  Poor halftime adjustment?  Inexperience at key positions?  Weak minded players?

And please don't start the stupid "distracted coaching" crap prj peddles.  Our first half proves that isn't the issue.  There is no doubt Arkansas was a superbly prepared team in the first half yesterday.  And against Mizzou.  So where is the critical failure happening?

It is depth and it is talent, and both are due to the recruiting issues faced by ANY football coach at Arkansas. They are prepared for the game, they show that by how they start out, but eventually fatigue hits due to lack of quality depth, and better players eventually win out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oklahawg

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 30, 2016, 11:32:56 pm
This is a ridiculous argument. It is not uncommon for the a QB to have a better rapport with a receiver who may not be the most talented guy on the team. It's also not like Morgan hasn't put up good numbers. Last year he led the team in catches, yards and TD's with a different QB. Morgan did not play well in the 2nd half last night but acting like this is the reason Arkansas has fallen apart to end the last two games is a stretch. If Morgan doesn't fumble the ball on those 2 occasions in the 2nd half yesterday, this wouldn't even be an item up for discussion.

Actually, it has been a discussion I have actively had with a number of people, including non-HV people, and non-UA people. I have had it following games when Drew played amazingly well and helped us win. This is a unique situation - coaches control the flow of RBs into the game, for example, making it hard to complain about a QB feeling more comfortable with (say) Kody Walker at RB vs RW3 or Whaley.

If Dak Prescott didn't look for Dez Bryant in moments of need fans would wonder. Doesn't mean other Dallas WRs are damn good, quality options, and helping the Cowboys win games. Its not like I'm saying there are fisticuffs at practice or during halftime.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:36:56 pm
It is depth and it is talent, and both are due to the recruiting issues faced by ANY football coach at Arkansas. They are prepared for the game, they show that by how they start out, but eventually fatigue hits due to lack of quality depth, and better players eventually win out.

A fair assessment. You can only "coach up" so much.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 11:40:39 pm
Actually, it has been a discussion I have actively had with a number of people, including non-HV people, and non-UA people. I have had it following games when Drew played amazingly well and helped us win. This is a unique situation - coaches control the flow of RBs into the game, for example, making it hard to complain about a QB feeling more comfortable with (say) Kody Walker at RB vs RW3 or Whaley.

If Dak Prescott didn't look for Dez Bryant in moments of need fans would wonder. Doesn't mean other Dallas WRs are damn good, quality options, and helping the Cowboys win games. Its not like I'm saying there are fisticuffs at practice or during halftime.

Sortof my point though, the leading receiver for Dallas is Cole Beasley  even though Dez has more targets in  less games. 2nd leading receiver is Jason Witten who also has less targets than Dez while playing more games. Sometimes the most reliable receivers are not the most physically imposing and Drew Morgan for the last 2 years has been that reliable receiver in our offense who gets open and makes catches when we need them.

hogsanity

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 11:41:40 pm
A fair assessment. You can only "coach up" so much.

the other thing people do is look at things like which team has the better Ol or WR group. The thing to look at is how one teas wrs match up against the opponents db's.

VT made the same mistake TCU did, they did not take advantage of how poorly the Hogs defend the middle of the field. TCU started too late and lost. VT came out in the 2nd half and just destroyed the Hogs over the middle ad up the middle.  The Hogs back 7 is just slow and seem to always be out of position. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

"real stuff" = a fantastic attempt, and I appreciate it.

What I don't think has been recognized is the offense's ability to come out "hot" more often than not. That first half vs second half scoring differential is not just the story of a bad finishing team. It is also the skill of the offensive staff to script a strong start.

We have talent issues that make building upon the script difficult.

Consider the players who had meaningful touches in the first third of the game: Pettway, Stewart, O'Grady, Hammonds. Enos and Co involved every bit of talent he could squeeze out of the roster.

Consider that for at least Missouri and Va Tech (I'll suggest there are others) Hatcher is a beast in the first half, and then disappears in the second half. Other teams have coaches watch film, and that should jump off of the tape. What is happening? Enos is SCRIPTING plays and forcing Allen to hit the go-to WR.

When the script runs out you can't trot out some of the players because they lack the capacity to execute. Go back into the August player interviews and Hatcher notes that he had to force his way into summer workout time with Allen. Back-up Austin Allen used to throw extensively with Morgan, before Morgan exploded on the scene in 2015 out of necessity. Now, Hatcher, the #1 WR, has to beg his way into voluntary workouts.

Watch when Reed or Hatcher or Cornelius make a good play. They congratulate each other. Morgan rarely congratulates any of them. The players know who is the top WR. When your QB gets past the opening script and suddenly the top WR production disappears and suddenly Morgan's touches increase...you have the making of a bad situation.

I am of the opinion CBB drew a line in the sand last summer and said this is the year we quit burning redshirts, playing true frosh who really don't play enough to justify not redshirting. You may well have some frustrations from players because someone next to them needed to be replaced by a true frosh, but wasn't.

CBB has a tendency to stick to principles, to a fault. TJ Hammonds played very little because of "ball security" issues. Brian Wallace didn't start to begin the year (and had the off-season of position switches) because he had a tendency to "take off plays". How much did that hurt? What if you live with a bobble or two throughout the year but plug both those guys in from day one?

Back to my main point - I have warmed to the notion that the offense scripted heavily to start games but when the script either ran out or defenses adjusted we were done. That is a talent issue, not a coaching issue, in my book.

Hadn't paid attention to Hatcher's first vs 2nd halves before.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/535877/keon-hatcher

To be fair, Austin's completed passes in general go for 1 less yard in the 2nd than the first, but Hatcher goes from 20 yards per catch down to 12. His ability to convert on 3rd downs when he catches the ball is about the same, with 72% of catches going for first downs in the 1st half and 68% of catches in the 2nd. However, 57% of receptions came in the first half. Of note, Hatcher only appeared in the first half of 11 games and only appeared in the 2nd half/OT of 9 games. So, while he had 57% of his catches in the first half, 55% of playing time was there as well. Still doesn't explain the lack of big plays in the 2nd half.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bebop

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 11:35:01 pm
We assume that coach didn't see this well in advance. I am not convinced - either his acumen (and that of the staff) is horribly overrated (unworthy of coaching in D1, which might garner a nod of approval from some of you but most of us on a good day would not agree with that) or he is really guilty of blowing smoke up our arses.

Who said it isn't both.

QuoteThe final option is that there is a variable missing that we haven't really identified, something beyond simple talent acquisition/development and coaching. Heck, maybe he really needs Barry Alvarez dropping by for a cup of coffee every Monday morning to get the gameplan clicking.

I think we are starting to see that this may be more true than not. Alvarez picked Bielema and could help watch/guide over him and his program as the AD.

hobhog

Quote from: Silver Hog on December 30, 2016, 01:08:02 pm
Too much of the "Being Bert" TV show.

Doesn't get a tenth of airtime Saban does,  Sliver Hog.

hogsanity

Real stuff? SEC defense has corners & Lb's like LSU. Their speed is just unreal.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on December 30, 2016, 01:41:02 pm
I still think it is because of our lack of a consistent running game. Our passing game is better than most think so it works well in the first half when the opponents still think they have to worry about our running game. At halftime they realize that our running game is not a threat and they can focus on shutting down the passing game. The result is that we cannot run nor pass in the second half. An added bonus (for the opponent) is that with the O going 3-and-out repeatedly in the second half our D is on the field much more than they should and the lack of skill, experience, and depth becomes more obvious.

How can we get back to running the ball consistently is IMO one of the main questions. The rest can be fixed.

this.
The rest of the frog.

hawgon

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2016, 02:31:16 pm
By logic, there should be 2-3 threads pissed that he took the time to conceive a child.

I don't begrudge him that 45 seconds.

lakecityhog

Okla, I would think that there would be FAR MORE concern among the O'Line group when Froholdt was granted a starting job at LG and NEVER competed with ANYONE to EARN it. Zack Rogers, Jalen Merrick, Jake Raulerson, Johnny Gibson and even the walk-ons had more O'Line experience.

I have a hard time believing that the AA/Morgan connection that came about when BOTH were back-ups is causing nearly as much locker room friction as the above scenario.

elksnort

After reading hundreds of posts I can say that maybe leadership is an issue with this football team but what it really boils down to on the field it is the Razorbacks have to be able to run the ball. And when they don't they lose.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on December 31, 2016, 02:24:04 pm
After reading hundreds of posts I can say that maybe leadership is an issue with this football team but what it really boils down to on the field it is the Razorbacks have to be able to run the ball. And when they don't they lose.

You know it took thousands of well thought out posts to come up with that theory. Unfortunately, it takes about 5 years of posts to come up with that many! We need to run the ball better, fact.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 30, 2016, 05:22:07 pm
Reading comprehension is still on the decline, it seems.  I asked people to talk about what is actually wrong instead of the usual "BERT SUX AND HE'S LAZY AND FAT AND I HATE HIM" idiocy. 

If you want to talk ACTUAL football, I promise, I'll give you all you want.  If you just want to be a jerk about a coach that isn't going ANYWHERE, then you can suck it.

He can't do it. Only emotional vaginal discharges.
[CENSORED]!

WashUhog6

There was a huge difference between 2016 and the 2013-2015 teams when you look at indicators of undisciplined play. We had major problems on the OL and deficiencies in both scheme and talent on defense, but the undisciplined nature of this compounded those issues in an insurmountable way. I have the stats by year but left them out of this post to prevent an already long post from being totally ignored.

To single out our showing against Virginia Tech, we turned the ball over 4 times and committed 12 penalties for 75 yards. Our 4 year average is about 1.5 turnovers/game. VT was only the 3rd time in Bielema's 4 years that we've turned the ball over 4 or more times, but the 2nd (Alabama, 5) this year. We eclipsed our 4 year turnover/game average of about 1.5/game in 7 of our 13 games and had only 2/13 without one, compared to: 2013 - 7/12 above the average and 1/12 without; 2014 - 4/13 above average and 3/13 without; 2015 - only 3/13 above the average with only a maximum of 2 in those games, and 5/13 without.

Let's dive even deeper into the penalty problems. We've committed double digit penalties only 3 times in the last 4 years: 2014 Mizzou, 2015 TAMU, and 2016 Virginia Tech. I'm setting a rather arbitrary number here at 50 penalty yards per game so take it with a grain of salt, but I picked it based on our penalty yard average this year compared to the previous 3. In 2013 we totaled 50 yards or greater in penalty yardage in 4/12 games, 2014 we did it in 4/13 games, 2015 we did it 3/13 games but all in the midst of our 1-3 start, and finally 2016 where we did it in 7/13. Final stat: we've had an average of 4.93 penalties/game under Bielema, but this year we had more than that in 9 of our 13 games. We eclipsed it only 4 times in 2013, 6 in 2014, and 5 in 2015--but again, 4 were during our miserable 1-3 start.

The thing that jumps out at me is that we seem to have gotten the worst of both aspects all wrapped up in one team this year. The 2013 and 2016 teams are easily the worst offenders at turning it over--though 2016's TO margin was admittedly much better. 2016 is also clearly the worst offender at committing penalties. It's not the only season we've been flawed in either area, we turned it over in spades in 2013 and committed a lot of penalties in 2014 too. The 2014 team was much better at protecting the ball, though. And our 3-9 2013 team committed the fewest penalties/game of Bielema's time so far. Our team this year has no such positive to report. It's surprising to say, but this year's team was by far the worst at playing sloppy football, and that costs you games. I will never be able to guess exactly why, but the truth is that we were an extremely undisciplined team this year. I wouldn't be shocked if that carried over to many facets of the program when they weren't on the field. I somewhat suspect these issues aren't entirely independent of what happened with Sprinkle and Morgan this week, either.

Oklahawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 31, 2016, 01:40:45 pm
Okla, I would think that there would be FAR MORE concern among the O'Line group when Froholdt was granted a starting job at LG and NEVER competed with ANYONE to EARN it. Zack Rogers, Jalen Merrick, Jake Raulerson, Johnny Gibson and even the walk-ons had more O'Line experience.

Agreed. Just because the calculation was (a) the only way he'll do it is if he has a starting spot, and (b) the only way we can get him schooled up is if he gets every first team rep at a single position, does not mean it was best for the chemistry/mood.

QuoteI have a hard time believing that the AA/Morgan connection that came about when BOTH were back-ups is causing nearly as much locker room friction as the above scenario.

You are not processing this correctly. The relationship built over time, and that is normal (even good - building chemistry with your WRs is good).

The glitch: when it is freakout time the default setting is not optimized for the team's success.

The team has it figured out. It is obvious if you watch video of when the various WRs make a big catch.

The coaches have it figured out - it is why Hatcher is the go-to target in the scripted start to games (especially late in the season).

If you are 10-3 right now we aren't talking about this. Too many people have interpreted this as the major issue on the team. It is a small thing, but it is there. Lots of "small things" going on - at some point they combine together into "something."

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 04:50:01 pm
Agreed. Just because the calculation was (a) the only way he'll do it is if he has a starting spot, and (b) the only way we can get him schooled up is if he gets every first team rep at a single position, does not mean it was best for the chemistry/mood.

You are not processing this correctly. The relationship built over time, and that is normal (even good - building chemistry with your WRs is good).

The glitch: when it is freakout time the default setting is not optimized for the team's success.

The team has it figured out. It is obvious if you watch video of when the various WRs make a big catch.

The coaches have it figured out - it is why Hatcher is the go-to target in the scripted start to games (especially late in the season).

If you are 10-3 right now we aren't talking about this. Too many people have interpreted this as the major issue on the team. It is a small thing, but it is there. Lots of "small things" going on - at some point they combine together into "something."

Okla, and I know I am beating this to death but being in over his head was the start of the "something". 100% effort, 100% of the time. From players and coaches all the way to the head coach. When he isn't into it 100% of the time, his team follows. From the opening press conference, gonna out Bama Bama. I came here to beat Alabama. It has been all mouth a bunch of the time. When he went on his fast play hurts people and sickle cell and bringing up the tragedy of the young man who passed away from sickle cell..people say, wow, a coach who cares...then he leaves Brandon in against Mizzou, obviously hurt. Austin had zero business coming back into the Auburn game...makes his argument about players safety a con. Then onto we will play disciplined, fundamental football that won't beat ourselves. I don't have to give examples of that because it is all there on tape. Another con. When you are wanting to take the next step as a football coach in the SEC, you can't be tweeting recipes and pics of your yorkies. You can't be recording TV shows. You can't get into skirmishes with opposing players like Bama last year. You can't win a 10 minute argument with officials in a game and parade around like a prized peacock of an Arabian prince...not to mention, the momentum killer that was. You got to have a feel for the game, the flow of the game. Your players can't look over for leadership and see you standing there mouth agape and staring off in the distance. You can't run your mouth about Gus, tell folks you had a better record in the Big 10 then Nick Saban. All Hat and no cattle is what Bret is.

And not to mention the #uncommon, the #neveryield and throwing the A that Long and Bret have run down our throat. Shoplifiting, spitting in people's faces, spitting the bit at halftime way to many times to count isn't uncommon and it sure isn't never yielding. As somebody said yesterday, it seems like Long and Bielema are orchestrating a Nigerian King ponzi scheme.

Until this problem gets solved, talking about players, schemes and all the x's and o's is futile.

PRJ

ArkansasI

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 05:08:34 pm
Okla, and I know I am beating this to death but being in over his head was the start of the "something". 100% effort, 100% of the time. From players and coaches all the way to the head coach. When he isn't into it 100% of the time, his team follows. From the opening press conference, gonna out Bama Bama. I came here to beat Alabama. It has been all mouth a bunch of the time. When he went on his fast play hurts people and sickle cell and bringing up the tragedy of the young man who passed away from sickle cell..people say, wow, a coach who cares...then he leaves Brandon in against Mizzou, obviously hurt. Austin had zero business coming back into the Auburn game...makes his argument about players safety a con. Then onto we will play disciplined, fundamental football that won't beat ourselves. I don't have to give examples of that because it is all there on tape. Another con. When you are wanting to take the next step as a football coach in the SEC, you can't be tweeting recipes and pics of your yorkies. You can't be recording TV shows. You can't get into skirmishes with opposing players like Bama last year. You can't win a 10 minute argument with officials in a game and parade around like a prized peacock of an Arabian prince...not to mention, the momentum killer that was. You got to have a feel for the game, the flow of the game. Your players can't look over for leadership and see you standing there mouth agape and staring off in the distance. You can't run your mouth about Gus, tell folks you had a better record in the Big 10 then Nick Saban. All Hat and no cattle is what Bret is.

And not to mention the #uncommon, the #neveryield and throwing the A that Long and Bret have run down our throat. Shoplifiting, spitting in people's faces, spitting the bit at halftime way to many times to count isn't uncommon and it sure isn't never yielding. As somebody said yesterday, it seems like Long and Bielema are orchestrating a Nigerian King ponzi scheme.

Until this problem gets solved, talking about players, schemes and all the x's and o's is futile.

PRJ
PRJ,

I read a lot of your posts with skepticism because they appear to lack objectivity. This post is no different...  However, I must admit that there are bits and morsels to chew on in here.

I know you're a Razorback. And I know everyone is entitled to his opinion. There are problems in the football program. But are all these barbs that you toss toward Bret fair?

The man was clearly trying to build attitude and expectation from rubble. Maybe not the way we would have tried to get it done, but Arkansas needed someone to believe in. Bret has consistently tried to be that man. I'm not sure he deserves such disdain.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:36:56 pm

How do you explain Mizzou and Tech? Those programs have better depth than Arkansas. The issue is coaching. You have to coach your players to finish. You can't tell me that Mizzou and Tech has better talent.

BallHog1

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2016, 01:32:50 pm
At some point, doesn't this discussion need to come back to the rock bottom consideration of the physical shape of the team?   Bielema isn't doing his team any favors with the personal example he is setting either. 

Outstanding physical conditioning would seem to be a prerequisite to play the type of football Bielema wants but it's clear this team (and the coach) are not where they need to be physically.
This is bull butter. Ever coach I ever had that was over forty was no longer in game shape. It had no effect on the team's level of fitness,
Continuing to try to make it relevant doesn't make it relevant.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 31, 2016, 05:45:06 pm
PRJ,

I read a lot of your posts with skepticism because they appear to lack objectivity. This post is no different...  However, I must admit that there are bits and morsels to chew on in here.

I know you're a Razorback. And I know everyone is entitled to his opinion. There are problems in the football program. But are all these barbs that you toss toward Bret fair?

The man was clearly trying to build attitude and expectation from rubble. Maybe not the way we would have tried to get it done, but Arkansas needed someone to believe in. Bret has consistently tried to be that man. I'm not sure he deserves such disdain.

This is what I am trying to convey. He came in here and said we are gonna out Bama Bama. Now, let's chew on just that. Even trying to build enthusiasm, do you really want to poke the big bear? If he bad stopped right there and went to work, ok, I am cool with it. But he has to go and point out that he has a better record in the Big 10 than Nick? Do you think that was building enthusiasm with fans? Or was he trying to be a peacock?

Then we can move on to players safety. All that talk, all about taking care of players. Then he leaves Brandon in when he was obviously hurt. Left Austin in, obviously hurt. Why? He deserves those...he owns them 100%.

It comes down to this, he came in swaggering. In year 4, he blows the last two games in spectacular fashion. And that is on top of a 53 point loss. Year 4. He makes 4.5 million a year, I don't think I am unfairly critical of him.

PRJ

Oklahawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 06:03:49 pm
This is what I am trying to convey. He came in here and said we are gonna out Bama Bama. Now, let's chew on just that. Even trying to build enthusiasm, do you really want to poke the big bear? If he bad stopped right there and went to work, ok, I am cool with it. But he has to go and point out that he has a better record in the Big 10 than Nick? Do you think that was building enthusiasm with fans? Or was he trying to be a peacock?

Then we can move on to players safety. All that talk, all about taking care of players. Then he leaves Brandon in when he was obviously hurt. Left Austin in, obviously hurt. Why? He deserves those...he owns them 100%.

It comes down to this, he came in swaggering. In year 4, he blows the last two games in spectacular fashion. And that is on top of a 53 point loss. Year 4. He makes 4.5 million a year, I don't think I am unfairly critical of him.

PRJ

Getting a word in edgewise with you is like trying to accomplish the same thing with a car load of teenage girls on the way to a Taylor Swift concert. Geesh

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 06:53:30 pm
Getting a word in edgewise with you is like trying to accomplish the same thing with a car load of teenage girls on the way to a Taylor Swift concert. Geesh

Dear my American friend,

I am a very wealthy king from Liberia. I have recently had my accounts frozen by your American government. If I may, can I ask you a simple favor? Could you deposit a 1,000 dollars into my offshore account and soon, my assets will be unfrozen and I in turn, will deposit 1,000,000 American dollars into yours. Please, just this simple favor and you will become rich, such as myself.

Warmest regards,

PRJ

reddogjcss

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

We got to make changes now, coaching, schemes, CHANGE

ArkansasI

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 06:03:49 pm

PRJ
Poking the bear is rarely a wise move. However, the Hogs hadn't had much luck with those guys before poking them, either. I'm not sure what difference it made. The Hogs should have beat Bama a couple of years ago in Fayetteville. This occurred after the remarks that bother you were made.

If I recall correctly, at the time Bret compared his Big 10 record to Nick's, he was being barraged with questions concerning has inability to win an SEC game. His answer may have been defensive - immature, or he may have been trying to send a message to his team and critics that he has enjoyed success in coaching. Maybe his players should trust him and his critics should stop asking him stupid questions about winning a conference game. 

Talking about player safety is smart to me. It never hurts to be able to walk into a recruit's home and tell his family and him that you care about his health and safety. Safety is a huge issue today and, truth be told, football was not intended to be played via HUNH. Its effectiveness is derived from the ability to catch defenders in incorrect sets and too tired to maintain defensive chase. The rules have had to change to help level the playing field for defenders.

Leaving quarterbacks in games after they are injured... We agree that is bad. The thing is I don't know what conversations took place between players and coaches that led to the decisions to keep them in games. Brandon's injury was further complicated by thre fact that his brother was his backup. Lots of dynamics being dealt with... Whatever, you're right. Bret must own it.

The blown leads this year and the blowouts are terrible. However, so is the overall record. The conference wins and beating TCU in Fort Worth deserve credit that his detractors don't provide.

I agree that his paycheck drives discourse. But it is more symptomatic of the growing problem with college athletics - money.  If it's weren't Bret, it would be the next guy. The money is crazy stupid.  I believe Arkansas (and others) could gain similar results if it paid its football coaches 1/10th their current wages. Of course, then we'd suggest if we just paid more we'd get better results.

We cannot buy more wins. Earning it will require more of everything else from all of Razorback Nation. I think we're up to the challenge, but it will take time.

Go Hogs!  Happy New Year!!