Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any one else feeling the pressure from their spouse to throw in the towel?

Started by Hawg2afault, December 30, 2016, 10:54:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg2afault

We've been season ticket holders since the late 1960s, missed only four home games since 1969.  Last night my wife asked, "How much longer we are going to throw away $6,000 or more a year to watch terrible Razorback teams?"  I've been hearing this argument from her an awful lot the past several years and it's getting more and more difficult to convince her to keep shelling out that kind of cash.  CBB's record of 25-26 isn't exactly what one would expect for the money we are paying him.  Anyone else feeling the pressure?  If so, give me a good reason to help persuade my wife to keep on keeping on. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Nope, I got my wife in check

Also, I don't spend $6K a year to watch a football team play.

hawgXi

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hawg2afault on December 30, 2016, 10:54:08 am
We've been season ticket holders since the late 1960s, missed only four home games since 1969.  Last night my wife asked, "How much longer we are going to throw away $6,000 or more a year to watch terrible Razorback teams?"  I've been hearing this argument from her an awful lot the past several years and it's getting more and more difficult to convince her to keep shelling out that kind of cash.  CBB's record of 25-26 isn't exactly what one would expect for the money we are paying him.  Anyone else feeling the pressure?  If so, give me a good reason to help persuade my wife to keep on keeping on.

Your wife is right.

Give me the 6 grand, and I'll put it to good use.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

One day I want to be like you and have $6,000 to set aside for season tickets lol. Im still a spring chicken.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgXi on December 30, 2016, 10:56:02 am
you'd only be opening up more seats to walmart vendors?
I thought they bought out the NEZ already lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NuttinItUp

longpig

My better half gave up on  teh Bertster at the LSU home field embarrassment,  I'll probably be sitting up on that hill alone in the rain watching the game through the gap on the SEZ pigscreen, sleeping in the car at Sequoyah. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Who is our Coach?

I gave up my seats 2 years ago, and it was the best financial decision I have made recently.  I still donate to the Razorback Foundation, although I have reduced that amount as well.  This year, I went to the Alcorn State and Alabama games because with kids and work, that's the only times I could go.  I sat at the 50 yard line for free at Alcorn, and paid $20 for a 30 yard line seat for Bama.  Given my previous donation level and ticket prices, I literally saved thousands of dollars.  The current donation scam is unsustainable with every game on TV and 60" HD televisions.  Has nothing to do with my feelings towards Bert, Long, the U of A, or anything.  Just math.  It's not worth it anymore.  Why pay thousands in donations and ticket prices when you can get into the stadium somewhere for pennies on the dollar? 

texas tush hog

I can't add anything to your post. My wife has not said it like your's has but hinted at such. My family was over at my house watching the game and my son in law said the only way these second half meltdowns occur is due to sorry coaching. I could not agree more. Been a season ticket holder since 1970 when I graduated and have spent similar dollars for donations and tickets as you have. The last two games have just about did me in. Total lack of charter when you blow leads like Missouri and yesterday, humiliating. Especially when Bielema came out and said, in effect, there would be no staff changes. After the A&M game, I told all my friends "fire Rob Smith yesterday." It has only gotten worse, and I see no signs of anything getting better. Jeff Long does not care about the fans and Bielema, by sticking with this staff is asking to be fired.

AirWarren

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:06:26 am
I gave up my seats 2 years ago, and it was the best financial decision I have made recently.  I still donate to the Razorback Foundation, although I have reduced that amount as well.  This year, I went to the Alcorn State and Alabama games because with kids and work, that's the only times I could go.  I sat at the 50 yard line for free at Alcorn, and paid $20 for a 30 yard line seat for Bama.  Given my previous donation level and ticket prices, I literally saved thousands of dollars.  The current donation scam is unsustainable with every game on TV and 60" HD televisions.  Has nothing to do with my feelings towards Bert, Long, the U of A, or anything.  Just math.  It's not worth it anymore.  Why pay thousands in donations and ticket prices when you can get into the stadium somewhere for pennies on the dollar?

My spouse and I  laugh at all you grown adult men with nothing more in your life than to whine and complain about the Razorbacks. Is it what it is! We are who we are!

F the razorback foundation. F the expansion. F season tickets.

To the OP, I support the team at home and give me your 6k$ Man and I can put it to good use.

hogsanity

I have never understood buying season tickets ( not just Arkansas but for ANY sport team ). Tickets are easily had to 99% of all events. Season tickets, psl fees, foundation donations, why pay those? Personally, I think it is an ego thing with many people.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:06:26 am

Lol, so $30 dollar tickets were available on the 30 yard line for the bama game this year for anyone wanting to go?  Don't hold your breath...

Who is our Coach?

And lets be clear, on the ticket issue, it's not only Razorback fans who are feeling this way.  Attendance is down everywhere, across the board.  By accepting the Monopoly money thrown at them by TV, college ADs have made tickets nearly obsolete.  Yes, being at the stadium is an event that is worthy of some cost, but the donations coupled with high ticket prices make those of us who donated and attended feel like chumps when someone behind you got their ticket for $10 and with the donation and full price, you paid something like $200.  It's not sustainable.  People across the country are saying enough.  I know I did.  Had nothing to do with product on the field, feelings for Bielema, etc.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:18:29 am
I have never understood buying season tickets ( not just Arkansas but for ANY sport team ). Tickets are easily had to 99% of all events. Season tickets, psl fees, foundation donations, why pay those? Personally, I think it is an ego thing with many people.

It is. I love reading posters who use it as a "knowledge advantage" as they open up there reply with "as a season ticket holder...". Or callers who call in sports radio shows who state "let me first state that I'm a season ticket holder so I think I should have an opinion".

No you're not. You're just a bigger idiot than the rest of us who spend money on a mediocre product.

Who is our Coach?

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 30, 2016, 11:18:45 am
Lol, so $30 dollar tickets were available on the 30 yard line for the bama game this year for anyone wanting to go?  Don't hold your breath...
Maybe not for everyone, but that's what I paid.  Had other options too.  And that was by far the game with the highest demand.  Could've gone almost for free to the others if you weren't too picky about location.

Hardcore Hoggy

Luckily , I have connections I can get into the Tysons box at least once a season. There is noway I'd spend $50 , or more, to watch a college football game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:20:22 am
And lets be clear, on the ticket issue, it's not only Razorback fans who are feeling this way.  Attendance is down everywhere, across the board.  By accepting the Monopoly money thrown at them by TV, college ADs have made tickets nearly obsolete.  Yes, being at the stadium is an event that is worthy of some cost, but the donations coupled with high ticket prices make those of us who donated and attended feel like chumps when someone behind you got their ticket for $10 and with the donation and full price, you paid something like $200.  It's not sustainable.  People across the country are saying enough.  I know I did.  Had nothing to do with product on the field, feelings for Bielema, etc.

Yep. 60 inch 4k tv, comfy couch, no one climbing over me 20 times to go get food, or go to the bathroom, no jack a ninny behind me yelling at the refs on every play, and 100 other reasons NOT to go.

I have a cousin who lives an hour from Columbus Ohio. Huge Buckeye fan, and has the money to buy season tickets anywhere in the stadium he would want them. I asked him why he did not do that ( he goes to one game a year ) and he said why would he spend money to go sit with 100K people that he maybe knows 10 of them, when he can do 100 other things with that money and time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on December 30, 2016, 11:15:35 am
My spouse and I  laugh at all you grown adult men with nothing more in your life than to whine and complain about the Razorbacks. Is it what it is! We are who we are!

F the razorback foundation. F the expansion. F season tickets.

To the OP, I support the team at home and give me your 6k$ Man and I can put it to good use.

Nah, you'd  just put some new rims on your ride, lol.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 30, 2016, 11:18:45 am
He got a "hook up" from jerry in accounting

bville_hog

I have that fight with myself especially since my tickets/donations required to keep same seats went up by about 100% 2 years ago.

I had basketball tickets for a long time and struggled for years with giving them up, but i finally did and don't regret it.  Football may be next.

AirWarren

Who is our Coach?

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:24:45 am
Yep. 60 inch 4k tv, comfy couch, no one climbing over me 20 times to go get food, or go to the bathroom, no jack a ninny behind me yelling at the refs on every play, and 100 other reasons NOT to go.

I have a cousin who lives an hour from Columbus Ohio. Huge Buckeye fan, and has the money to buy season tickets anywhere in the stadium he would want them. I asked him why he did not do that ( he goes to one game a year ) and he said why would he spend money to go sit with 100K people that he maybe knows 10 of them, when he can do 100 other things with that money and time.
Exactly.  What it does is penalize the people who the universities should be the most thankful for.  The ones who donate and pay and attend the games religiously.  Their thanks?  Paying ten times what the 20 year old kid paid for the same ticket in front of the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.  What other business thanks and honors reliable customers like that? 

There was a great article by a Michigan beat writer about this a few years ago.  Interviewed some folks who had been season ticket holders for something like 40 years and who, on average, paid $350 a seat for their season tickets at the Big House.  And some kids got tickets to the seats behind them for free at a gas station the morning of the game.   

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 30, 2016, 10:57:20 am
One day I want to be like you and have $6,000 to set aside for season tickets lol. Im still a spring chicken.

Good luck. I told my wife the other day before the Belk Bowl (which the results of just makes the case stronger) that I MIGHT be willing to give up our season tickets. We are in the SEZ outdoor club and with travel expenses and all it costs us about $4,000 a year. I'll make my decision when I get the Letter of Intent which is coming up in a few months. I've always waited to the last day to re-up anyway just in case something happened in the program beyond W/L's and anticipated results going forward. NOW that is also going to be factored into my decision more. To be honest IF they needed an answer today it's NO. I'm sure I'll calm down and re-up but they better do something to show some leadership and thus some sort of change.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hardcore Hoggy

On the flip side, tickets wouldn't be so expensive if the demand wasn't there.

hogsanity

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:33:06 am
Exactly.  What it does is penalize the people who the universities should be the most thankful for.  The ones who donate and pay and attend the games religiously.  Their thanks?  Paying ten times what the 20 year old kid paid for the same ticket in front of the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.  What other business thanks and honors reliable customers like that? 

There was a great article by a Michigan beat writer about this a few years ago.  Interviewed some folks who had been season ticket holders for something like 40 years and who, on average, paid $350 a seat for their season tickets at the Big House.  And some kids got tickets to the seats behind them for free at a gas station the morning of the game.   

But those paying $20 in front of the stadium are buying seats someone else already bought as part of a season ticket package, that is not on the school.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 30, 2016, 11:35:21 am
On the flip side, tickets wouldn't be so expensive if the demand wasn't there.

To the BIG games yes. To the little games no. I've tried to sell or even give away tickets to some of the lesser games and couldn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MountainHomeHogger

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:18:29 am

It's like ANY entertainment season ticket. Why do some buy season Opera tickets or Ballet or Theatre or any other ongoing entertainment events. I love to go but I do want to be entertained.

Who is our Coach?

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:37:43 am
But those paying $20 in front of the stadium are buying seats someone else already bought as part of a season ticket package, that is not on the school.
Sure.  But the market result is the same.  You can get a ticket to the game for much lower prices than you are required to pay going through the university.  For folks like me, who can only get to 2, maybe 3 games a year at best, it's just a no brainer especially when you often can't sell the ones you can't use. 

Most of the reporting on this has implied (because surely ADs wouldn't say this publicly, especially to a reporter) that university ADs look at bleacher seats almost as loss leaders and could care less if they are full or not.  The money is made off suites and TV.  Whatever they can milk from donors for normal bleacher seats is gravy.   

BroyledNutts

The wife and I decided to give up our football season tickets after the RSVP program was installed - I'm ok with donating to a program because you want to help that program...and I'm ok with paying the cost to sit where you want to sit...I'm NOT ok with being extorted into forcible minimum donations just to have the opportunity to have the seats I'm willing to pay for - No thanks, not for an historic marginal football program.

We switched all our donations to the baseball program, and it was a good decision, even though we were not allowed to reduce our "Minimum Donation" from our previous football level of giving. Baseball needs the financial support - we enjoy baseball, and Razorback baseball is truly entertaining to watch - there's not enough baseball games on TV to stay home - and the Baseball program has been more consistent year to year overall.

I do wish I could reduce the amount I donate without losing our current baseball seats, but since RSVP has spread its tentacles into the baseball program I'll have to find a way to maintain my current level, even though we've suffered some financial hardships this past year. RSVP has made the situation such that if I gave up my baseball seats or reduce my donor level I'd never get back to the section we're currently in.

jdelo77

Two years ago they asked us if we wanted to upgrade , we got three seats in the indoor club !
This year we get the same the thing and it's almost double ? We said no thanks !!! I go to a few games a year , this year the only game we made it to was LA tech ! We took a break and would watch it from home , my fridge is 20 feet away and no one charges me for beer ...

Who is our Coach?

Quote from: jdelo77 on December 30, 2016, 11:46:56 am
Two years ago they asked us if we wanted to upgrade , we got three seats in the indoor club !
This year we get the same the thing and it's almost double ? We said no thanks !!! I go to a few games a year , this year the only game we made it to was LA tech ! We took a break and would watch it from home , my fridge is 20 feet away and no one charges me for beer ...
Simple supply and demand leads me to the conclusion that ticket demand is way down, so to maintain revenue levels, they are going to further soak those who currently buy them.  Even more reason to stay home. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 30, 2016, 11:39:04 am
To the BIG games yes. To the little games no. I'ver tried to sell or even give away tickets to some of the lesser games and couldn't.

True, but that is sort of like having the Oxygen channel on your cable/satelite. Of course given the choice you wouldn't pay the same amount, or any , for that channel as you do for ESPN, but your provider isn't stupid, so they have created a package where you HAVE to buy one to get the other.

Same with season tickets. Schools know that NO ONE is going to pay the same amount to watch them play Louisiana Monroe as they will to watch them play Alabama, but schools aren't stupid, so they package the tickets together. You MUST buy a ticket to the Louisiana Monroe game to be able to buy tickets to the Alabama game.

At least as far as season tickets go, which get priority over regular tickets.

ricepig

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:49:43 am
Simple supply and demand leads me to the conclusion that ticket demand is way down, so to maintain revenue levels, they are going to further soak those who currently buy them.  Even more reason to stay home. 

Yeah, because athletes and coaches want to come to a school where everyone is staying home, haha.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 11:55:21 am
Yeah, because athletes and coaches want to come to a school where everyone is staying home, haha.

But but but we have top notch facilities and a great financial backing...and fans are loud...

hogsanity

we should get an idea in 2017 about ticket demand because the home schedule is not very good. sec games Aub, MSu and Mizzu, ooc games TCU is the only one of note.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on December 30, 2016, 11:56:26 am
But but but we have top notch facilities and a great financial backing...and fans are loud...

Try it the other way and see how well it goes.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 12:31:20 pm
we should get an idea in 2017 about ticket demand because the home schedule is not very good. sec games Aub, MSu and Mizzu, ooc games TCU is the only one of note.

I said coming off a record year I could see season tickets off 3-5%.

Hogarusa

She's not throwing the towel in on the Razorbacks, its the $6000
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rzrbackramsfan

As low as I feel now, I'm sure that'll change in the upcoming season. 

You'll think of a reason. 

BassinHawg

Wish Bert's wife was but she won't at $4,000,000 a year. #wastedmoney
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 12:34:04 pm
I said coming off a record year I could see season tickets off 3-5%.

even at 5% that would only be around 3500 season tickets, not a huge number really.

WilsonHog

I gave up my baseball season tickets a couple of years ago. Truth be told, the value is much better for baseball than for football; a fraction of the price. I went to one game last year, opening day. This year, one of my Christmas presents was an SEC Saturday package, so I'll get to see five SEC homes games this spring. That might prove to be a nice compromise.

To be honest, the biggest reason that I buy football season tickets is because I always have. The annual cost is now around $4,000 a year though, and as I grow older I can't help but wonder what else I could do with that money. That being said, I'll likely renew again this year.

buldozer

Its just the opposite for us! I am ready to permanently throw in the towel and my wife still wants to go to ever game no matter how bad we lose.... lol

hawgon

The biggest thing I gained when I gave mine up was time.  So many other things to do on Saturdays and I still get to watch the game.  Instead of sacrificing a whole weekend, I spend three hours or so and then do something else.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hawgon on December 30, 2016, 01:06:38 pm
The biggest thing I gained when I gave mine up was time.  So many other things to do on Saturdays and I still get to watch the game.  Instead of sacrificing a whole weekend, I spend three hours or so and then do something else.

Yeah I"m 90 minutes from campus and can get into any game I want for free, but most weeks I'm like "Is it worth the time of getting ready , going down there, then making the trip home , when I could instead just watch the game on TV?"

Redhogs

It should not take your wife to tell you that you are not getting your money' :-\ :-\s worth
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on December 30, 2016, 01:06:38 pm

That has always been one of my issues going to games ( and I have always been open that I do not go often ). takes me exactly 1 hr to get from my house to the lot at Baum. So when adding in getting up to DWRRS and back to the car I am already 3hrs in. Add in another 3.5 for the game, and another 30 mins getting out of the parking lot, I am in for 7hrs, minimum, to attend a game.