Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas has never hired the "right coach"...never will.

Started by snoot hoggy hog, December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

December 30, 2016, 09:54:25 am #50 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:08:23 am by NaturalStateReb
Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm
Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.
We can't help ourselves. We've told some good ones "no".

I don't know that I agree with this, although there's some truth to it.

Holtz and Hatfield won a lot of games at Arkansas.  Hatfield, by percentage, is the winningest coach in Arkansas history.  It's hard to say those weren't good hires.  I know, Jimmy Johnson and all, but they were good hires.  Johnson would have been a great hire, too, but .783 is hard to beat.  You can't just automatically assume that Johnson would have done at Arkansas what he did at Miami.

Crowe was clearly a mistake.  Broyles was in a bind with the timing of Hatfield's departure, and nothing about Crowe's offenses under Hatfield should have filled anyone with confidence.  His only previous stint as a head coach was a mess.  Still, Broyles probably pulled Crowe's cork too quickly, compounding his error.  Crowe went from 3 wins in 1990 to 6 wins in 1991.  The Citadel loss was bad, but Broyles' knee jerk reaction made it worse, and cemented his reputation as a difficult boss.

Joe Kines didn't do too bad of a job with the 1992 team after Crowe's departure.  The team wasn't good and the situation was worse--fired coach, first year in the SEC, Danny Ford obviously waiting in the wings--but he managed to nab 3 conference victories.  Still, Kines was a lifetime coordinator.

Why Danny Ford was hired will always be a mystery to me.  Yeah, he won at Clemson, but that success was clearly built around rampant, almost SMU-level recruiting violations.  His biggest claim to fame at Arkansas is probably guiding a 5-loss team to a West title, and then losing a Carquest Bowl.  He had an eye for talent, but was never a good X's and O's guy.  He was one of several SEC coaches that rolled the dice on Joe Lee Dunn's gimmick defense, but left the cupboard pretty stocked for Nutt.

Houston Nutt was the hometown, fan favorite.  No one will admit now, of course, but we all secretly know it's true.  Your head told you that Tuberville was a better coach (but let's face it--Tuberville doesn't hang around long anywhere, probably for a reason, and that would have almost certainly included Arkansas), but your heart said give Nutt a chance--he'd made Murray State a winner, and started Boise State down the road it's been on since the 1997 season.  He was the son of a local sports family.  Broyles' preference was for Tuberville, but the fans demanded Nutt. 

For a while, it looked like the wisdom of crowds was proven yet again--Nutt came with a hair's breadth of doing something truly phenomenal at Arkansas in the 1998 season.  But Nutt's feast-or-famine recruiting style created whiplash seasons of success followed by deeply unsuccessful campaigns.  Coupled with a fan-fueled soap opera that would make the WWE blush, Nutt was run off to Ole Miss, where the same thing happened with the same results.

Then along comes Petrino--and lots of posts about how Arkansas had finally hired a good man, which now look pretty silly in retrospect.  Bobby Petrino pulled up stakes in the middle of the night in Atlanta, which should have been some indication of his care and concern for his employers.  Petrino instilled discipline in a program that was sorely lacking it, and his offensive prowess can't be denied.  He managed to get Ryan Mallett in as a transfer from Michigan, but his defense-optional style always kept a West title just out of reach.  Recruiting began to slide, and although the 2012 campaign would probably have been great, Arkansas was poised to take a step back in 2013 after those seniors left.

Then Harleygate and John L. Smith--smile!

I don't think Arkansas has hired a coach that's a high level recruiter since joining the SEC.  Ford had an eye for talent, but the state had more talent and connections to Texas then.  Nutt had years where his recruiting strategies paid off, but the gambles he took showed how the recruiting landscape was starting to change--even so, the state still had years when it produced significant D1 talent.  Petrino is a raging jerk, and while the state's talent pool started to dry up, Petrino's charm was beginning to fail in living rooms.  Bielema's perception of what winning talent looked like had to undergo a major revision against SEC competition.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 30, 2016, 09:45:30 am
He need ASU's athletic director.  He seems to know how to hire good coaches.  We would be better off hiring up and comer young dynamic coaches, riding them until they get a destination job, rinse and repeat. 

I don't think you've got any choice.  There's too much money everywhere now.  When Mississippi State can afford to pay nearly $5 million per year, everywhere in the Power 5 has the possibility of being a destination job.

Mohajir has done a very good job over at Jonesboro.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

bphi11ips

Quote from: userpick on December 30, 2016, 09:33:43 am
It's amazing to me how most people don't believe this. Everyone keeps saying "Fire Bret, Fire Mike A"...the  real problem is that loser that makes the decisions. How in the hell is he not on the hot seat?

I was probably one of the first to refer to Long as a "Yankee carpetbagger".  It was meant as a metaphor, not as a slight to his character.  Jeff Long is clearly a talented politician and businessman. He is a tireless worker with exceptional organizational skills.  Razorbacks athletics as a whole has been well managed, and therein lies the problem.  Arkansans want a winning football team they can rally around from border to border.  They don't care about much else besides the NCAA basketball tournament.

Jeff Long was probably a good fit at Pittsburgh. He'd be a good fit at any metro school.  But he's not a good fit at a major statewide school like Arkansas where football is an institution. The only bottom line we care about is winning. Win and we will come.

Jeff Long has never understood Arkansas culture.  He would probably say that is an oxymoron, and many of you would agree.  Long and Bielema have damaged the culture of Arkansas football at a statewide level in a way that they themselves can not comprehend. 

Terry Don Phillips would have been a better fit.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

JJHog

Ah....Lou and Ken did a pretty good job.

Ford cleaned things up and took us to Atlanta

The only one we missed on was Crowe.

Nutt was adequate or better- still took us to Atlanta more than the others

BP --- screwed himself.

BB - yet to be "determined"
" Think Right, Do Right"

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 30, 2016, 09:58:50 am
I was probably one of the first to refer to Long as a "Yankee carpetbagger".  It was meant as a metaphor, not as a slight to his character.  Jeff Long is clearly a talented politician and businessman. He is a tireless worker with exceptional organizational skills.  Razorbacks athletics as a whole has been well managed, and therein lies the problem.  Arkansans want a winning football team they can rally around from border to border.  They don't care about much else besides the NCAA basketball tournament.

Jeff Long was probably a good fit at Pittsburgh. He'd be a good fit at any metro school.  But he's not a good fit at a major statewide school like Arkansas where football is an institution. The only bottom line we care about is winning. Win and we will come.

Jeff Long has never understood Arkansas culture.  He would probably say that is an oxymoron, and many of you would agree.  Long and Bielema have damaged the culture of Arkansas football at a statewide level in a way that they themselves can not comprehend. 

I'll say this about Jeff Long--he pretty much put an end to the Good Old Boy system in Fayetteville that so many on here complained about for so long.  Terry Don Phillips probably wouldn't have done that. 

depressed_fan

Houston Nutt was an amazing coach. I doubt we will ever see another 10 year stretch 4 games over .500 in the SEC.

tzthib

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 29, 2016, 11:50:16 pm
Mediocre job brings mediocre coaches.

Tier 2 jobs brings tier 2 coaches. 

Destination job for few, stepping stone for many.

If that's the case we should be offering mediocre pay. No reason to have coaches with top 20 pay if we are consistently getting top 35-50 performance. 

hogsanity

Quote from: userpick on December 30, 2016, 09:44:31 am
Shula was fired after 4 years. Zook fired after 3. Rich Rod, 3 years and out. That's one difference in great programs and shittty one likes us.

Those guys were also fired before the age of huge buyouts we are in now. The OP thread title could be used for just about every school in fbs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 30, 2016, 10:02:02 am
I'll say this about Jeff Long--he pretty much put an end to the Good Old Boy system in Fayetteville that so many on here complained about for so long.  Terry Don Phillips probably wouldn't have done that. 

Terry Don Phillips wouldn't have been so stupid as to fire the best HC Arkansas had since Frank Broyles either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 30, 2016, 10:02:02 am

What is funny is all we heard from message board heroes and talk show jockeys, for years, was how the good ole boy network was holding back the program. Now these same people bemoan the results of that being ended.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:04:59 am
What is funny is all we heard from message board heroes and talk show jockeys, for years, was how the good ole boy network was holding back the program. Now these same people bemoan the results of that being ended.

Getting ride of the good ole boy network did no good since they turned around and hired a braying Jack*** to replace Frank Broyles.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on December 30, 2016, 11:18:23 am
Getting ride of the good ole boy network did no good since they turned around and hired a braying Jack*** to replace Frank Broyles.

Actually, most successful college programs are run by a good ole boy network.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:19:30 am

Agreed. They'd have been better off to have left well enough alone (Hooty being the exception to that of course).

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:19:30 am

I was thinking the same thing and was never one of those complaining about ours.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 30, 2016, 09:43:35 am
Get your facts straight. JJ was never the head coach at Pitt.

His facts are straight, JJ got pissed at left for Pitt.  He didn't say anything about it being a HC position.  They talk about it on the show Catholics vs Convicts.

k.c.hawg

Stupid ridiculous to assert that Jimmy Johnson would have been a better hire than Lou Holtz. 7 years after that decision was made Lou Holtz was on his way out after a 6-5 season. Jimmy had just finished his 5th year as a head coach with a 29-25-3 record and a 17-15-3 conference record 2 lower tier bowls. Holtz had gone 60-21-1, 37-18-1 in the league and appearances in the Orange, Sugar and Fiesta with 3 lower tier bowls and a conference championship and Cotton Bowl stolen by SMU refs in 82. 4 Top 10 finishes and a Top 15 finish in 7 seasons. Ridiculous to say that was the wrong hire.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Porkette

There is no real history, at least since Broyles, of Arkansas being a stepping stone job. Something just always seems to happen with every coach- either getting fired for not winning enough, or personal clashes or scandals. But then we're not a big-time destination job either. It's weird, and maybe one reason why it's so tricky here.
GO HOGS GO!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: userpick on December 30, 2016, 09:33:43 am
It's amazing to me how most people don't believe this. Everyone keeps saying "Fire Bret, Fire Mike A"...the  real problem is that loser that makes the decisions. How in the hell is he not on the hot seat?

The most important thing an AD has to do is hire the right coaches. Everything else is simply secondary to that. Nothing happens without good coaches. So far the jury is still deliberating on Jeff's ability in that area. Some have worked out fine and some not at all. But his football hires have not worked out well yet.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Gentlemen, you can call this a stepping stone job if you wish but its current holder is the 17th highest paid coach in college football and has arrived at that location in just 3 years here when he arrived at that pay level.  We may be a stepping stone as to wining but not as to pay.  One of the largest differences in back in the day and today is that Broyles knew and understood sports of that day and Long has little or no idea.  Broyles could usually pick out a decent coach and find a way to hire him at a reasonable cost for that time period.  Broyles likely would not have hired BB if he was our AD but if he did, it would have been with a far less guarantee and great reward for actual successes.  The actual agreement that BB and Arkansas signed is just bad, period.  Even if BB won a couple of conference championships and an NC in the first 4years, this contract was bad.  Pay the man for added value and pay him damn well but not betting on the future.  I wonder if Long sees gambling from his office as a failure of integrity.

Hollywood870

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 30, 2016, 12:54:06 am
BPs the one that went on TV and lied about it. He had also lied to his AD. The only person responsible for how everything that went down is BP.
And the people on this board have never lied about anything.

Jim Harris

Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.

Holtz was fine until Broyles got tired of his on-again, off-again nuttiness and it was obvious he wasn't going to get any of the great in-state players anymore.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ballz2thewall

i tend to agree.

the exception was lou holtz. holtz was a good hire at the time.

but hatfield; terrible hire. that was a jesus pick, plain and simple. the basket has been in a perpetual state of unweaving ever since.

qualification; bp was a good hire, too. like holtz; good at the time.
The rest of the frog.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 29, 2016, 11:50:16 pm
Mediocre job brings mediocre coaches.

Tier 2 jobs brings tier 2 coaches. 

Destination job for few, stepping stone for many.
Top 25 in all time victories. State of the Art facilities. Tremendous fan support with annual attendance more than most NFL teams. Yep mediocre.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 30, 2016, 09:54:25 am

Houston Nutt was the hometown, fan favorite.  No one will admit now, of course, but we all secretly know it's true. 

I don't think Arkansas has hired a coach that's a high level recruiter since joining the SEC. 

I NEVER thought nutty was the right hire. When I read what Orville said I though "UhOh this isn't going to be good". You are correct on recruiting but we really haven't had one since Frank quit coaching. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 30, 2016, 12:14:58 am
In hindsight you would still take Petrino over Malzhan?

Holtz and Hatfield over Jimmy Johnson?

Nutt over Carroll?

Petrino's much better than Malzahn.  Johnson was better than both Holtz and Hatfield.  Carroll is eons better than Nutt.

Sivad

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 30, 2016, 12:14:58 am
In hindsight you would still take Petrino over Malzhan?

Holtz and Hatfield over Jimmy Johnson?

Nutt over Carroll?

Yes - Petrino over Malzahn
No - Hatfield over Jimmy Johnson
Pick em - Holtz v Jimmy Johnson
No - Nutt over Carroll (would not pick Nutt over the guy hanging off the City of Fayetteville garbage truck).

Tusks

JJ recruited the defense as an assistant for JFB from 74-76, he was promised the job during that time.  When JFB retired he told JJ he didn't have a good enough season (76 he went 5-5-1) and had to hire a proven HC and hired Holtz.  JJ left and those of us that remember, Kiffin came in with enormous talent from JJ and had one of the best defenses in the country.

When Holtz was fired JJ was told he'd get the job AGAIN and went to dinner at Hermans with JFB only to find out Hatfield was going to be hire.  He was PISSED and at that point said "the UA is dead to me".

So the UA passed on JJ not once but twice.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ballz2thewall

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 30, 2016, 09:54:25 am
I don't know that I agree with this, although there's some truth to it.

Holtz and Hatfield won a lot of games at Arkansas.  Hatfield, by percentage, is the winningest coach in Arkansas history.  It's hard to say those weren't good hires.  I know, Jimmy Johnson and all, but they were good hires.  Johnson would have been a great hire, too, but .783 is hard to beat.  You can't just automatically assume that Johnson would have done at Arkansas what he did at Miami.

Crowe was clearly a mistake.  Broyles was in a bind with the timing of Hatfield's departure, and nothing about Crowe's offenses under Hatfield should have filled anyone with confidence.  His only previous stint as a head coach was a mess.  Still, Broyles probably pulled Crowe's cork too quickly, compounding his error.  Crowe went from 3 wins in 1990 to 6 wins in 1991.  The Citadel loss was bad, but Broyles' knee jerk reaction made it worse, and cemented his reputation as a difficult boss.

Joe Kines didn't do too bad of a job with the 1992 team after Crowe's departure.  The team wasn't good and the situation was worse--fired coach, first year in the SEC, Danny Ford obviously waiting in the wings--but he managed to nab 3 conference victories.  Still, Kines was a lifetime coordinator.

Why Danny Ford was hired will always be a mystery to me.  Yeah, he won at Clemson, but that success was clearly built around rampant, almost SMU-level recruiting violations.  His biggest claim to fame at Arkansas is probably guiding a 5-loss team to a West title, and then losing a Carquest Bowl.  He had an eye for talent, but was never a good X's and O's guy.  He was one of several SEC coaches that rolled the dice on Joe Lee Dunn's gimmick defense, but left the cupboard pretty stocked for Nutt.

Houston Nutt was the hometown, fan favorite.  No one will admit now, of course, but we all secretly know it's true.  Your head told you that Tuberville was a better coach (but let's face it--Tuberville doesn't hang around long anywhere, probably for a reason, and that would have almost certainly included Arkansas), but your heart said give Nutt a chance--he'd made Murray State a winner, and started Boise State down the road it's been on since the 1997 season.  He was the son of a local sports family.  Broyles' preference was for Tuberville, but the fans demanded Nutt. 

For a while, it looked like the wisdom of crowds was proven yet again--Nutt came with a hair's breadth of doing something truly phenomenal at Arkansas in the 1998 season.  But Nutt's feast-or-famine recruiting style created whiplash seasons of success followed by deeply unsuccessful campaigns.  Coupled with a fan-fueled soap opera that would make the WWE blush, Nutt was run off to Ole Miss, where the same thing happened with the same results.

Then along comes Petrino--and lots of posts about how Arkansas had finally hired a good man, which now look pretty silly in retrospect.  Bobby Petrino pulled up stakes in the middle of the night in Atlanta, which should have been some indication of his care and concern for his employers.  Petrino instilled discipline in a program that was sorely lacking it, and his offensive prowess can't be denied.  He managed to get Ryan Mallett in as a transfer from Michigan, but his defense-optional style always kept a West title just out of reach.  Recruiting began to slide, and although the 2012 campaign would probably have been great, Arkansas was poised to take a step back in 2013 after those seniors left.

Then Harleygate and John L. Smith--smile!

I don't think Arkansas has hired a coach that's a high level recruiter since joining the SEC.  Ford had an eye for talent, but the state had more talent and connections to Texas then.  Nutt had years where his recruiting strategies paid off, but the gambles he took showed how the recruiting landscape was starting to change--even so, the state still had years when it produced significant D1 talent.  Petrino is a raging jerk, and while the state's talent pool started to dry up, Petrino's charm was beginning to fail in living rooms.  Bielema's perception of what winning talent looked like had to undergo a major revision against SEC competition.

hatfield was a terrible hire. he set the program on a backwards trail and as a result arkansas missed a prime opportunity to truly dominate a declining swc. we did pretty good, but had he had any vision whatsoever, he could've become king with an offense that was progressive. but no. hell no. and don't throw the ball to that fellow that drinks beer. many of us remember how dreadful our passing game was. kennybob just didn't have it.

we missed the boat on so many good recruits because of his style of offense.

the W-L record does not reveal the story.

total agreement about danny ford. we'd lost vision by that time; just my opinion. broyles is a consummate politician and deal maker. yet, FORD was the best we could do?
The rest of the frog.

DeltaBoy

We failed to get Bear Bryant cause the Japs  started a war with us.
Frank was so stupid he passed on Jimmy Johnson 2times and passed on Pete Carroll.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 30, 2016, 06:48:12 pm
Petrino's much better than Malzahn.  Johnson was better than both Holtz and Hatfield.  Carroll is eons better than Nutt.

Stupid ass post. Jimmy Johnson hadn't won 25 games by the time Holtz was leaving Arkansas with 4 Top ten and 1 Top 15 finish. Please do not let Vodka impair what Johnson did 10 years after the hire of Holtz. Some of you people are just eaten up with dumbass,
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HardCore

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 30, 2016, 12:01:07 am
It takes hiring the right AD first.

Bingo!  Not a village idiot who was chased out of Pittsburgh for screwing up their program.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

PorkRinds

Quote from: maknbacn on December 30, 2016, 07:13:46 am
Like the university couldn't have handled that..cmon..she probably got paid off anyway. She is going to sue someone for being involved in an affair? Happens all the time. Bible thumper long sent our program into a spiral, he could have used some sort of punishment and moved on...petrino had a scheme that gave mid level teams like ours a shot, similar to baylor, osu, west v, etc...cbb scheme does not work because he cannot recruit the players here to make it work. Petrino made us a "threat" with his scheme, he might not have won a NC here but facts are facts..he had us in a BCS. Those are facts. CBB is trying to play old school football, which I like...the hogs won't ever get much better with that scheme...the teams similar to us in recruiting ability that threaten top tier teams have a offense scheme like a petrino, briles, holgersen,gundy etc...if we want to get better bowl games and maybe 1-3 losses we will get a coach similar. CBB will always have 3-6 losses and 3 will be rare.

Those are not facts. Those are opinions.

bvillepig

Cletus

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 30, 2016, 09:10:40 am
I don't think UA was scared of her suing necessarily but the dozens of other candidates that didn't get the job certainly would have a case. UA very well could have beat all comers wanting to sue but....

No doubt in my mind a bull dog can kick a skunks rear end but I guarantee at some point during the fight the bull dog is going to wonder was it worth the stink! 8)

This. I can't figure out why everybody still thinks he got fired for cheating on his wife. 🤔
See, what had happened was........

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Cletus on December 30, 2016, 11:37:27 pm
This. I can't figure out why everybody still thinks he got fired for cheating on his wife. 🤔

Because they have the aptitude and attention spans of hamsters.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cletus on December 30, 2016, 11:37:27 pm

it is how they justify thinking he did not need to be fired. Had it just been the affair, he would not have been fired. It was the lying to his bosses that got him fired.

rlamb

What about who we could have had? Jimmy Johnson in 77' or 84'.  Barry Switzer at some point. Butch Davis
in the late 80's or 90's. Tommy Tuberville instead of Nutt to name a few. I wonder how many National
Championships we lost out on not hiring any of them?

So Arkansas may be looked upon as a dead end middle of the road job now, but there was a time when it was c
considered TOP 10 or 15. Just look at who we could have hired. I even think Joe Gibbs back in the 70's before
he got the Redskin job when he was an assistant under Broyles in the 70's?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 30, 2016, 09:58:50 am

Terry Don hired Dabo at Clemson...............................That doesn't mean every hire worked out for him.

razorjon

would give my left nutt to have Petrino back.  Guy knew how to develop players.
"Starve the studs." — Chad Morris

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: razorjon on December 31, 2016, 03:25:35 am

Is that you Jessica?

98hogs

depressed_fan

Quote from: rlamb on December 31, 2016, 02:55:56 am
What about who we could have had? Jimmy Johnson in 77' or 84'.  Barry Switzer at some point. Butch Davis
in the late 80's or 90's. Tommy Tuberville instead of Nutt to name a few. I wonder how many National
Championships we lost out on not hiring any of them?

So Arkansas may be looked upon as a dead end middle of the road job now, but there was a time when it was c
considered TOP 10 or 15. Just look at who we could have hired. I even think Joe Gibbs back in the 70's before
he got the Redskin job when he was an assistant under Broyles in the 70's?

Explain your theory of how any of those coaches not hired at the time were better than the ones hired? Jimmy Johnson went to Oklahoma state as his first head coach job in 79, and proceeded to go 29-25 there.  His last year was his best year. He was 8-4, and didn't have any marque wins. He goes to Miami where Fidel Castro had just dumped 120,000 refugees and built it into a winner. I would venture to say the Cuban influx of population is what he and Butch Davis both benefited from, greatly.  I don't care what Johnson or Switzer done with the Dallas cowboys. That doesn't mean they were going to be more successful at Arkansas than who was hired at the time.

Barry Switzer Coaches at Oklahoma from 1973 to 88 and was 157-29. Was he really serious about leaving for Arkansas at any point in his tenure?

Butch Davis won at Miami, the same rate Jimmy JOhnson won. Again, he's got 124k cuban refugees that migrated there a decade prior. Out of that 124k, how many were women that were spittin out athletic children? Why does major league baseball get so many players from Cuba? B/c it's a big country and the people have athletic genetics.

Nutt and Tuberville faced off 10 times when Tuberville was at Auburn. I think anyone  that knows anything about SEC football would tell you Auburn is an easier place to recruit to than Arkansas, yet Nutt won the game head to head 5 out of 10 times. I think Nutt held his own respectably against Tuberville, Tuberville at an easier school to recruit to.

So can you explain in more detail?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on December 30, 2016, 10:56:19 am
Terry Don Phillips wouldn't have been so stupid as to fire the best HC Arkansas had since Frank Broyles either.

Yes he would have under the same circumstances.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:59:42 pm
it is how they justify thinking he did not need to be fired. Had it just been the affair, he would not have been fired. It was the lying to his bosses that got him fired.

and hiring the mistress.

hogsanity

looking great so far today, working toward a 3 game slide to end the year.

hobhog

Ok Eyore.....

hobhog

Now THAT sums up message board mentality and knowledge right there!

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 31, 2016, 08:54:44 am
Yes he would have under the same circumstances.

No he wouldn't have. Terry Don Phillips, like the smart AD his is, would have handled the situation and BP's punishment in house in stead of making it public. A good AD doesn't fire a Head Coach who just led his team to an 11-2 season and a #5 final national ranking over something as trivial as that and Terry Don would have been a good one.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on December 31, 2016, 12:52:26 pm
No he wouldn't have. Terry Don Phillips, like the smart AD his is, would have handled the situation and BP's punishment in house in stead of making it public. A good AD doesn't fire a Head Coach who just led his team to an 11-2 season and a #5 final national ranking over something as trivial as that and Terry Don would have been a good one.

Hard not to make it public when the cover up attempt involves a state trooper and a hospital.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:59:42 pm

That isn't what got him fired nor was it the affair that got him fired.