Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas has never hired the "right coach"...never will.

Started by snoot hoggy hog, December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2016, 12:56:26 pm
Hard not to make it public when the cover up attempt involves a state trooper and a hospital.

My point is there wouldn't have been any press conferences, just an announcement that the situation was being handled in house by the U of A Athletic Department.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on December 31, 2016, 01:00:43 pm
My point is there wouldn't have been any press conferences, just an announcement that the situation was being handled in house by the U of A Athletic Department.

not in this day and age.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Welcome to MMQB, GUV logic.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2016, 01:02:43 pm
not in this day and age.

Yes in this day and age. Terry Don Phillips isn't a Braying Jack*** like Jeff Long is.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on December 31, 2016, 01:12:46 pm
Yes in this day and age. Terry Don Phillips isn't a Braying Jack*** like Jeff Long is.

atta boy guv, start with name calling when you have nothing. In this day and age when a public person can't sneeze without someone putting it on some blog, you are not going to keep it quiet when the highest paid state employee calls a off duty state trooper to take him to the hospital because he was just in a wreck with his mistress along for the ride.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2016, 01:19:18 pm
atta boy guv, start with name calling when you have nothing. In this day and age when a public person can't sneeze without someone putting it on some blog, you are not going to keep it quiet when the highest paid state employee calls a off duty state trooper to take him to the hospital because he was just in a wreck with his mistress along for the ride.

I didn't call you a name and yes it could have and should have been handled in house. When both the ex-mistress and her now husband were paid large sums of hush money by Long to be silent and leave quietly it's obvious there's more to the story than Long wants people to know.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 31, 2016, 01:12:46 pm
Then why do you and Jeff Long not get along?  You have so much in common.

Inhogswetrust

Do you honestly think that with what happened there was NOT going to be some sort of PC? Sorry I forgot who I was replying to. Of course you think that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

snoot hoggy hog

Uhh, did you forget that Petrino called the press conference so that he could get his lie out there?

GuvHog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on December 31, 2016, 06:06:28 pm
Possess any actual evidence?

Petrino was a [CENSORED] with a history of screwing organizations and programs well before his failed stint, here.  There's NO WAY this could have been covered up as Oz the great deceiver (Bobby) was already asking folks to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bottom line?  Bobby wasn't -- and never has been -- the "right coach," anywhere.  Your public riding of his jock is unseemly.

Oh, Bobby was the right coach and the proof is in the pudding:

(1) In a 4 year period he took the program from almost nothing to a #5 final ranking.

(2) His last 2 Hog teams finished 10-3 and 11-2 with one going to a BCS bowl (first time in Arkansas history) and the other beating a #9 ranked Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.

(3) He did all of that while running a clean program that was not even remotely close to being under the threat of an NCAA investigation.

A competent AD does not fire a coach who has accomplished those things for something as trivial as what Bobby was fired for, he handles the discipline in house. Long was horribly wrong and the players and the university are paying a severe price for his idiocy.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm
Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.
We can't help ourselves. We've told some good ones "no".
Wasn't Frank Broyles the one that started this trend by not hiring Jimmy Johnson?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

popcornhog

Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.

Really? Bielema is looking like a poor choice right now, but the jury is still out on next year.

Holtz was a good hire.
Hatfield was a good hire.
Petrino was a good hire but he screwed up.
Ford was an ok hire, despite not panning out in his short tenure.
Bielema was quite a move, although that one hasn't seemed to pan out either. In other words, the hire was impressive but seems to have been a failure thus far.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 30, 2016, 12:07:23 am
He didn't screw the pooch his AD did. Nobody outside of the AD's office gave a damn who the coach was screwing on the side. Hog fans didn't. If they did they would have raised hell over Sutton and Kelly Minton or Nutt and Donna Bragg.

Jesus Christ man, you know it wasn't just about screwing some chick on the side.
WPS

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 11:19:30 am
Actually, most successful college programs are run by a good ole boy network.

indeed. i mean; where do people think "things" come from? some sort of altruistic collective?
The rest of the frog.

GuvHog

Quote from: popcornhog on January 01, 2017, 12:58:46 pm
Jesus Christ man, you know it wasn't just about screwing some chick on the side.

I could go into a long explanation but instead, I'll just say I agree, the affair isn't what got him fired. It wasn't because he lied to his bosses either.

sowmonella

Quote from: GuvHog on January 01, 2017, 03:05:56 pm
I could go into a long explanation but instead, I'll just say I agree, the affair isn't what got him fired. It wasn't because he lied to his bosses either.

Oh I'm sure many of us would love to know the true inside story. By all means enlighten us.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

alohawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 29, 2016, 11:49:09 pm
Petrino was the right guy.  Who knew he'd screw the pooch?

She mighta been a you know what, but I wouldn't call her a pooch.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HardCore

Quote from: GuvHog on January 01, 2017, 03:05:56 pm

May as well elaborate....not like we don't have plenty of time from all the Football we have to watch.  What?  He wouldn't kiss Lindsay's Tail?  Jerry's tail?
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HardCore

It has always bothered me as to how we could produce so many great coaches, but never get one.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: HardCore on October 13, 2019, 05:30:23 am
It has always bothered me as to how we could produce so many great coaches, but never get one.

It's weird. Arkansas can brag about its coaching tree but not about wins/championships. There is this high school in Augusta that likes to brag about its homecoming celebration/party but the school has low graduation rates. That's Arkansas.

Hawginj

Well I hate to think this let alone say it, but don't you think there is a reason for that? FB was/is Arkansas football and I believe that he prefered it that way if you catch my drift

OkieBack

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 30, 2016, 12:01:07 am
It takes hiring the right AD first.

The University messed up years ago for not bringing in Nolan as AD.  He is a winning Razorback, knows football, and I don't think he would have put up with much crap on the field. 

Right now Arkansas is the destination for smooth talking coaches who are just about done fooling everyone else but still gets a good buyout in Fayetteville for doing little next to nothing.  This needs to change.

a shady hog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 29, 2016, 11:50:16 pm
Mediocre job brings mediocre coaches.

Tier 2 jobs brings tier 2 coaches. 

Destination job for few, stepping stone for many.
Unless you do what Texas A &M did. Will they become a top level school? Who knows, but at least they are showing they are committed to becoming one with the hire of Fisher.