Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My question to committee

Started by Kevin, December 04, 2016, 12:30:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

If urban Meyer was the coach at penn state & James franklin was at Ohio state who would be in
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

NuttinItUp

It would likely depend on their records and how good they were given the change in coaching. It is hard to know without running the experiment.

The committee's job is to pick the best 4 teams, regardless of anything else.

Duke of Swine

I hate that the conference championships don't really count though.  The cool thing about college football in the past was that the entire season was basically a playoff. 

sickboy

I think Penn State is a big enough brand that it doesn't matter in this case.

Now, if James Franklin was the coach at Ohio State and Urban Meyer decided to go back to Utah and it was them instead of Penn State in this situation... then I think you'd see the favoritism muddle things.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Kevin on December 04, 2016, 12:30:47 pm
If urban Meyer was the coach at penn state & James franklin was at Ohio state who would be in

Michigan. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Duke of Swine on December 04, 2016, 12:34:21 pm
I hate that the conference championships don't really count though.  The cool thing about college football in the past was that the entire season was basically a playoff. 

The conference championships do count, but it is only one part of the whole. Most of the time the best team wins a conference, but that isn't always the case. I would rather have the best 4 teams, regardless of conference championships.

Kind of like when LSU and Alabama played a few years ago when it was the BCS era still. They were the best two teams, even though they were from the same division & conference.

Kevin

Beat a team head to head. Win the conference championship but the team you beat late in the season plays for the national title.

Just pick the four teams in August and be done with it
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dr. Starcs

Posted it in another thread, but if Ohio St was named Tcu, they'd be left out. A la 2 years ago.

depressed_fan

why would you think the coach would have anything to do with it? they are both great coaches

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on December 04, 2016, 12:45:34 pm
Beat a team head to head. Win the conference championship but the team you beat late in the season plays for the national title.

Want to be in the playoff?  Don't lose.  Penn St lost twice.  Ohio St lost once.  If Penn St wouldn't have lost to Pitt, they would be in.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

longpig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 12:52:19 pm
Posted it in another thread, but if Ohio St was named Tcu, they'd be left out. A la 2 years ago.

false equivalency.  Neither played in a conference championship game but Ohio State has a buttload of impressive wins where TCU didn't, among other things. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

jm

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 04, 2016, 12:38:20 pm
The conference championships do count, but it is only one part of the whole. Most of the time the best team wins a conference, but that isn't always the case. I would rather have the best 4 teams, regardless of conference championships.

Kind of like when LSU and Alabama played a few years ago when it was the BCS era still. They were the best two teams, even though they were from the same division & conference.

The conference championship means nothing. There is no real reason to have conferences at all as things are now. It is much more important to have a big name from a large population state. As things are now, Arkansas will never make the playoffs, and neither will teams a long list of teams like Baylor regardless of how good they are. It is just un-American to give any team a spot that they did not earn on the field. If they can't win their own division in their own conference, they didn't earn the spot.

Dr. Starcs

Don't lose to Pitt?
Clemson did.

(Devil's advocate)

JOKERHOG

Washington and Penn State should have both been in and TOSU out.  Penn State beat them head to head, won conference and is the hotter team now
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on December 04, 2016, 01:07:11 pm
Want to be in the playoff?  Don't lose.  Penn St lost twice.  Ohio St lost once.  If Penn St wouldn't have lost to Pitt, they would be in.

This.

Win your games. Don't lose 2 if you want a chance to dance.

Dr. Starcs

Lsu won a national title with 2 losses.

(Again, devils advocate)

hawgdavis

It's who you are not what you do . ESPN wanted it the way it is so that's what we get. No need for a conference champion just let ESPN decide

Dr. Starcs

I was for once on the side of Danny Kanell.

He had Bama, Clem, Wash and Penn St

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jm on December 04, 2016, 01:09:53 pm
As things are now, Arkansas will never make the playoffs

Arkansas could make the playoffs if they went 13-0 or 12-1. (or even 11-1, 11-2, or 10-2 given the right circumstances at the top with other teams)

Now, the likelihood of that happening is pretty low, but making the playoffs shouldn't be easy.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:13:09 pm
Don't lose to Pitt?
Clemson did.

(Devil's advocate)
Clemson only has 1 loss.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:14:10 pm

(Again, devils advocate)
There are 4 teams with less than 2 losses this year.  5 if you want to count WMU.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:14:10 pm

(Again, devils advocate)

True. It depends on the year and how many losses everyone else has at the top. Some years 2 losses will get you in, some years 1, some years 0.

hawgdavis

ESPN rules collage football and decide who they want and start building it up weeks ahead of time and start their campaign machine. Crazy

DiamondHogFan

This would be an interesting year for the BCS.  Would Ohio St be #2 based on the BCS system?

HotlantaHog

Maybe Penn State should have scheduled Oklahoma or beaten Pitt.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on December 04, 2016, 01:19:37 pm
This would be an interesting year for the BCS.  Would Ohio St be #2 based on the BCS system?

Yes, someone recreated the BCS rankings and what they would have been. (computer inputs, etc.)
http://www.colleyrankings.com/curBcsLike.html

The only caveat is that the AP Poll is taking the place of the Harris Poll since it doesn't exist anymore.

Ohio State was a pretty unanimous #2 among everyone. (AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and all computers)

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 04, 2016, 01:22:46 pm
Or at least been competitive against Michigan.

DeltaBoy

The committee blew it one year they cry you have to be a conference champion to get into the final 4. This year they let their man crush on Meyer to ignore their own Rule. Penn State won the Big 10championship and got shafted .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dr. Starcs

You guys would be rioting if you switched the names of Penn St and Ohio St to Arkansas and Alabama.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:50:20 pm
You guys would be rioting if you switched the names of Penn St and Ohio St to Arkansas and Alabama.

This is the long and short of it. Pedo U got the shaft. No pun intended.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 04, 2016, 01:53:27 pm
This is the long and short of it. Pedo U got the shaft. No pun intended.

"The Curse of the Sandusky"

longpig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 04, 2016, 01:49:29 pm
The committee blew it one year they cry you have to be a conference champion to get into the final 4. This year they let their man crush on Meyer to ignore their own Rule. Penn State won the Big 10championship and got shafted .

Oh the committee blows because they don't have anything better to do, but I don't recall them saying this.

farmhawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 04, 2016, 12:32:38 pm
It would likely depend on their records and how good they were given the change in coaching. It is hard to know without running the experiment.

The committee's job is to pick the best 4 teams, regardless of anything else.
I disagree. The committee is there to make the most money for the playoff.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 04, 2016, 01:22:46 pm

....and not lose to Michigan by 39.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

alohawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:50:20 pm

Bingo
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

bennyl08

Penn State has every right to argue they should be in the playoff. They do not however have a better argument than tOSU.

Yes, I'd be furious if Ark was in PSU's position. They should be furious as well. However, I'd also be furious if we were in Ohio St's position and were left out and their fans should have been furious if they were left out.

This year, as with many other years, there are genuinely more than 4 teams that have a very strong argument that they should be considered one of the top 2 teams in the country.

The debate isn't should a team be in the top 4 or not. That's not the purpose of the playoff. The debate should be, how many teams have a strong case to make to be one of two teams to play for a national championship. That is why it should be an 8 team playoff.

No doubt, teams that are 9 and 10 will be complaining just the same as teams 5 and 6 might complain right now. No matter how many teams are in the playoff, that is going to happen. The question becomes, are the teams that are left out deserving of being one of 2 teams to play for the national championship or not? When it was 3 and 4, they were definitely deserving almost every year. When it is 5 and 6, More often than not there will be teams deserving of that 1-2 spot getting left out. If you do a 6 team playoff, you still have a significant sprinkling of years where you will leave somebody out who has just as strong a resume to fight for the national title as anybody else. With an 8 team, the only teams left out are ones who would have been lucky to be there anyways.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

longpig

Quote from: farmhawg on December 04, 2016, 02:18:31 pm
I disagree. The committee is there to make the most money for the playoff.

If that's the case they suck at their job.  Should've gone with Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Michigan.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 01:59:49 pm
Oh the committee blows because they don't have anything better to do, but I don't recall them saying this.
That was their excuse for leaving TCU out a couple of years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

go hogues

THIS!

ESPN wants Bama vs. Ohio State for NCG, so that's what they get.

Hope it's Clemson vs. U dub in the title game.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

farmhawg

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 02:43:52 pm
If that's the case they suck at their job.  Should've gone with Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Michigan.
Ha! They would have if they could.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GoHogs1091

Washington only has 1 good win this season, and that was against Colorado.

Here are the good wins for the main teams that were considered for the 4 spots.

Alabama  Only 2 good wins, Auburn and LSU.  Florida is not a good win for Alabama.

Clemson   4 good wins, Auburn, Troy, Louisville, and Florida State.  Two of those were road wins (Auburn and Florida State).  Before anyone questions the Troy win, Troy went 9-3 this season.

Ohio State  3 good wins, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  Ohio State did play some real mediocre non-conference competition (Bowling Green and Rutgers).

Washington  Only 1 good win, Colorado.  Washington's non-conference competition was atrocious.

Penn State   3 good wins, Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Penn State probably should have got in instead of Washington.

MissippHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 04, 2016, 03:43:00 pm
Washington only has 1 good win this season, and that was against Colorado.

Here are the good wins for the main teams that were considered for the 4 spots.

Alabama  Only 2 good wins, Auburn and LSU.  Florida is not a good win for Alabama.

Clemson   4 good wins, Auburn, Troy, Louisville, and Florida State.  Two of those were road wins (Auburn and Florida State).  Before anyone questions the Troy win, Troy went 9-3 this season.

Ohio State  3 good wins, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  Ohio State did play some real mediocre non-conference competition (Bowling Green and Rutgers).

Washington  Only 1 good win, Colorado.  Washington's non-conference competition was atrocious.

Penn State   3 good wins, Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Penn State probably should have got in instead of Washington.
So you're going to give Clemson a "good win" for beating Troy but Bama doesn't get one for beating USC-W?   
LSU counts as a "good win" but Florida doesn't.....even though Florida beat LSU.  Makes perfect sense. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MissippHog on December 04, 2016, 04:00:38 pm
So you're going to give Clemson a "good win" for beating Troy but Bama doesn't get one for beating USC-W?   
LSU counts as a "good win" but Florida doesn't.....even though Florida beat LSU.  Makes perfect sense. 

I was consistent.

If I gave Alabama a good win for beating Florida, then I would have given Clemson a good win for beating Virginia Tech.

I didn't give Alabama or Clemson a good win for either. 

popcornhog

Quote from: Duke of Swine on December 04, 2016, 12:34:21 pm
PSU has two losses against Pitt and a blowout loss at Michigan.

Ohio State only lost one game by a FG, to PSU and beat that same MU team that smoked PSU.

Ohio State simply has a better resume.
WPS

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Kevin on December 04, 2016, 12:30:47 pm

Have you heard back from the committee yet?

Bubba's Bruisers

I hate tOSU, but the committee probably got it right.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 04, 2016, 04:13:59 pm
I hate tOSU, but the committee probably got it right.
I agree. If they took 2-loss team, Michigan may have been the best choice. 39 point win over PSU was big. Why does PSU get a pass on the loss to Pitt?

buldozer

Just about right! Its all about money, politics and prestige. There is no doubt that tosu would be in the playoff if the situation was reversed here. Watch what happens a few years down the road when this plays out and they let them in over another Big10 team....

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 04, 2016, 01:13:09 pm
Don't lose to Pitt?
Clemson did.

(Devil's advocate)

The Referee in the Clemson/Pittsburgh game was a University of South Carolina graduate.

Clemson got their revenge against the University of South Carolina a week ago yesterday (56-7).

The ACC Office better not assign that South Carolina graduate Referee to another Clemson game.  Clemson's Athletic Director is not going to put up with shenanigans from a South Carolina graduate who will always be biased when officiating a Clemson game.