Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's next?

Started by GrizzlyRider07, August 02, 2017, 10:39:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

First off congrats to Mr. Wren on his commitment to the best college in America. Now, with this commitment and the last few spots left, who is at the top of the list for our next commitment? Who gets the last few spots if they want to come here?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

Oklahawg

Bohanon (Baylor), Ford (Alabama), and Sewell (Alabama) would all seem to have a spot here if they want it. They'd fit needs (athlete, TE, and OL, respectfully). Ford is likely the best chance for UA despite having decommitted earlier in the summer.

Fulwider (DE), Trout (DT), Ezukanma (WR), and White (OLB) would all seem to be elite level talents that we would try to find a spot for.

We seem destined to land one more OL, Sewell or otherwise. We seem destined to land a TE, Ford or Beal (or otherwise).

There is a silver lining to the short scholarship situation: most of the players above do not seem to be aiming to commit early. We can still recruit them without worrying about oversigning.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

No one for certain, as Okla said, we'll take Sewell anytime he wants to commit, but it will more than likely be a NSD decision. I suspect we're done until the players take their official visits this fall and in January, hopefully we snag one of our remaining top OL targets. We'll also know be then how many more we can squeeze in due to attrition.

GrizzlyRider07

Exactly how many spots do we REALLY have left?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on August 03, 2017, 07:55:15 am
Exactly how many spots do we REALLY have left?

1-2 right now. The number could obviously go up.

You're probably looking at a TE or OL or best available.

Wildhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 03, 2017, 08:44:03 am
1-2 right now. The number could obviously go up.

You're probably looking at a TE or OL or best available.

Thoughts on our chances with Beal?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Wildhog on August 03, 2017, 08:47:28 am
Thoughts on our chances with Beal?

He told me Arkansas would be in his top three if he had one. He plans to make an official visit. That's all you can ask for.

outlawhogeywells

IF we only have two spots left I would love another OL and a DL

ricepig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on August 03, 2017, 03:42:06 pm
IF we only have two spots left I would love another OL and a DL

We'll have two minimum, when it's all said and done.

GrizzlyRider07

Me personally I would love us to take two stud players on defense. A DL or stud LB. We need some difference makers at those positions in a bad way.   
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

ricepig

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on August 03, 2017, 05:42:32 pm
Me personally I would love us to take two stud players on defense. A DL or stud LB. We need some difference makers at those positions in a bad way.   

Gooden and Pool?? I doubt we get two more 4* DL or LB types.

Pork Ranger

I vote best OL you can get. I feel like our overall success depends on how well the OLine is

GrizzlyRider07

I have my doubts about Gooden making it here. He's been entertaining a lot of schools plus there is word that he is now planning on visiting USC-W and we all know how that goes with our staff
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

presidenthog

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on August 03, 2017, 09:13:49 pm
I have my doubts about Gooden making it here. He's been entertaining a lot of schools plus there is word that he is now planning on visiting USC-W and we all know how that goes with our staff
I'm hoping we play well enough on defense this year he sticks. I'm not sure if he ends up here or not. The whole this would be my top 4 if I hadn't committed to arkansas tweet was weird.

Huds_HawgTide

He loves him some again...I'd like to have the other JUCO the big fella DT
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Deep Shoat

There may not be a next.  We have only 4-6 offers still in play.  We won't take more than 2 of those players.  And that's IF any of them choose us.

If the OL from Lake Hamilton has a big season, he will likely get an offer if Sewell and Carvin go elsewhere (likely).
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 02, 2017, 11:00:30 pm
Bohanon (Baylor), Ford (Alabama), and Sewell (Alabama) would all seem to have a spot here if they want it. They'd fit needs (athlete, TE, and OL, respectfully). Ford is likely the best chance for UA despite having decommitted earlier in the summer.

Fulwider (DE), Trout (DT), Ezukanma (WR), and White (OLB) would all seem to be elite level talents that we would try to find a spot for.

We seem destined to land one more OL, Sewell or otherwise. We seem destined to land a TE, Ford or Beal (or otherwise).

There is a silver lining to the short scholarship situation: most of the players above do not seem to be aiming to commit early. We can still recruit them without worrying about oversigning.
Bohannon is Athlette (OLB) or bust with us now.  The QB ship has sailed.

Ford or Beal are auto takes.  I doubt either ends up here.  Sewell or Carvin, same story.  Foucha has an offer in hand, so we will take him.  Fulwider or the DE from St Louis.  Maybe White, but he's going to OU I imagine.

That's it.  Anyone else would be a shock.  Best chance?  Foucha and Fulwider with a punchers chance at Beal.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HogFoo

Not worried about Gooden.  Kid is solid.  Him and Sosa became friends when they both were being recruited out of HS.  And have continued to be.  He loves the idea of him and Sosa playing together. And i mean LOVES the idea of them both playing and Owning the SEC OLines together!  Thats why he chose the hogs.  OU tried really hard to get him to go to that BBQ a week ago and he ignored it.   i saw the post where he had put the 4schools he thought he might go too.   It was basically just saying, he didnt expect arkansas would be in the mix until he visited. 

As many have said, if we can just get players on campus, we will always have a chance at getting them.. Most have a preconceived idea of how it is at arkansas then they visit and for the most part, are pleasantly surprised at how good things are here. 

i want to believe that we still have a chance with Ford. even after he 'dates' everybody else..  haha.. i think we still have a chance with him or with Beal.  Heck, i also think we have a chance at Bohannon.  If the coaches want him that is.    Me personally, i wouldnt mind if we could get Fulwider or the ekzuna kid.   that guy is special! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

010HogFan

I seriously doubt we are able to keep Gooden. He reposts more Oklahoma stuff than Arkansas and if he wants to take more visits, it's the Luke Ford thing all over again.

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 04, 2017, 10:40:35 am
I seriously doubt we are able to keep Gooden. He reposts more Oklahoma stuff than Arkansas and if he wants to take more visits, it's the Luke Ford thing all over again.
This!!!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

Deep Shoat

If he really wanted to go to OU, he'd already be committed there.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jackflash

I am hoping for DE Fulwider

Vantage 8 dude

Well if he's as fired up about OU as you say he is then it seems very strange he wouldn't go ahead and make an official commit. From what I can tell from of you it's not like they wouldn't accept the opportunity. Weird how your "logic" works.

Muskliketusk

Gooden ain't going to Choke U. He's just funning with their fans. They eat his tweets up like candy and the whole time he ain't giving them so much as a look.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

HogFoo

Quote from: Muskliketusk on August 04, 2017, 02:05:01 pm
Gooden ain't going to Choke U. He's just funning with their fans. They eat his tweets up like candy and the whole time he ain't giving them so much as a look.
this.  Gooden isnt going to Chokelahoma...   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bennyl08

We lose 8 players on our 2 deep for the OL over the next 2 seasons.

We currently have 2 OL committed for this class.

We lose 6 starters in the secondary over the next 2 seasons.

We currently have 1 DB committed for this class.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that we signed a stellar DB class this past year with a pretty good one the year before as well, but we will be short on depth at the position until we can make up the lost numbers. Similarly, it is a bit unfair to mention only the losses at OL without mentioning that we were arguably too full at that position this year with I think 14 scholarship players, but we definitely would like to have 10+. For the 2019 season, we are sitting with only 8 scholarships plus whatever we sign in the rest of this class and the next. If we want to maintain having 14 scholarship guys, we'll need to sign 1 more OL player this year and then 5 more next year (which is a lot).

To make a short story long, I don't know who is next, but I sure hope it includes some more DB's and OL.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 04, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
Flanagan, Hanspard and McCallister are all DBs... One of the last 2 spots will go to an OL

Thought the same thing.

I expect we will sign 3 more. An OL, the best available, and whoever we end up taking to replace gooden whenever he finally stops flirting wirh ofhers, and dates someone else.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I doubt they make him decommit even if he visits USC. See Jeremy Patton

We haven't been consistent in that rule. Used on Chase Hayden last yeat and then didn't on Patton.

CBB tried to explain the situations of when he will let a kid visit in one of his press conferences.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 04, 2017, 07:52:21 pm
We lose 8 players on our 2 deep for the OL over the next 2 seasons.

We currently have 2 OL committed for this class.

We lose 6 starters in the secondary over the next 2 seasons.

We currently have 1 DB committed for this class.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that we signed a stellar DB class this past year with a pretty good one the year before as well, but we will be short on depth at the position until we can make up the lost numbers. Similarly, it is a bit unfair to mention only the losses at OL without mentioning that we were arguably too full at that position this year with I think 14 scholarship players, but we definitely would like to have 10+. For the 2019 season, we are sitting with only 8 scholarships plus whatever we sign in the rest of this class and the next. If we want to maintain having 14 scholarship guys, we'll need to sign 1 more OL player this year and then 5 more next year (which is a lot).

To make a short story long, I don't know who is next, but I sure hope it includes some more DB's and OL.

Bielema use to say he wanted 15 OL on scholarship.  We have not gotte. There yet that I know of, but we have been getting the numbers better. 

On another note, what's happened with the Erik ezukuma (I know I probably butchered the name)? 

King Kong

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 05, 2017, 08:45:02 am
Bielema use to say he wanted 15 OL on scholarship.  We have not gotte. There yet that I know of, but we have been getting the numbers better. 

On another note, what's happened with the Erik ezukuma (I know I probably butchered the name)?

We had 15 until they moved Dylan Hays to defense and that's not including Ty Clary who will be on scholarship sometimes in the near future

Deep Shoat

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 05, 2017, 08:45:02 am

Erik Ezukanma (Or whatever it is) isn't going to get an offer.  We are not looking for WR's in this class.  As repeated often, this is a very small class, and WR just isn't a need this year.
All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 04, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
Flanagan, Hanspard and McCallister are all DBs... One of the last 2 spots will go to an OL

Flanagan and Hanspard are listed as athletes on the hogville official commit list and offense athletes at that with only McCallister listed on defense for CB.

That is what I was going off of.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 05, 2017, 03:21:53 pm
Flanagan and Hanspard are listed as athletes on the hogville official commit list and offense athletes at that with only McCallister listed on defense for CB.

That is what I was going off of.

Well, Flanagan is being recruited as a safety, and Hanspard as a CB.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 05, 2017, 10:06:05 am
Erik Ezukanma (Or whatever it is) isn't going to get an offer.  We are not looking for WR's in this class.  As repeated often, this is a very small class, and WR just isn't a need this year.

Shows he already has an offer

http://247sports.com/Player/Erik-Ezukanma-94296

rolyat_2008

Quote from: aloha_kid on August 05, 2017, 03:33:54 pm
Shows he already has an offer

http://247sports.com/Player/Erik-Ezukanma-94296
Doesn't have official written offer that went out August 1.

Lots of prospects get verbal offers in the process but many of those are never committable.

010HogFan

I hate to say I told y'all so but

010HogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 04, 2017, 11:26:52 am
Well if he's as fired up about OU as you say he is then it seems very strange he wouldn't go ahead and make an official commit. From what I can tell from of you it's not like they wouldn't accept the opportunity. Weird how your "logic" works.

lol

ricepig

He was speaking on another recruits situation, he hasn't de-committed.

010HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 12:47:02 pm
He was speaking on another recruits situation, he hasn't de-committed.

Where are you seeing that?

ricepig

010HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 12:57:20 pm
Pay board

I don't know...that was pretty sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an official announcement that he has decommitted soon.

ricepig

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 06, 2017, 01:01:47 pm
I don't know...that was pretty sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an official announcement that he has decommitted soon.

He told the reporter that it was a message to another recruit. It wouldn't surprise me if he does, but I figured a little more than just "decommit", haha.

jry04

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 06, 2017, 12:36:45 pm
I hate to say I told y'all so but
Always love when smug posters get happy they think they were right about a negative outcome, and then end up still being wrong. He did not deccomit. This is like posting I told you the Hogs would lose at halftime only to see them win.

010HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 01:04:49 pm
He told the reporter that it was a message to another recruit. It wouldn't surprise me if he does, but I figured a little more than just "decommit", haha.

True. Nothing would surprise me as a Hog fan anymore lol

010HogFan

Quote from: jry04 on August 06, 2017, 01:13:40 pm
Always love when smug posters get happy they think they were right about a negative outcome, and then end up still being wrong. He did not deccomit. This is like posting I told you the Hogs would lose at halftime only to see them win.

It's only right that I remind people they were wrong when they were the ones that basically called me stupid for making a prediction

Pinto

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 05, 2017, 10:06:05 am

Passing on a talented skill position  player  like him and picking up a mediocre player just because we "need" that players position is probably why we will always be mediocre. Hopefully we make room for Erik

ricepig

Quote from: Pinto on August 06, 2017, 01:16:58 pm
Passing on a talented skill position  player  like him and picking up a mediocre player just because we "need" that players position is probably why we will always be mediocre. Hopefully we make room for Erik

Haven't others backed off of him due to an injury/surgery?

Muskliketusk

Ought oh we got us a chicken little bawking in here. Bawk bawk bawk OU bawk. Gooden ain't going nowhere little chicken. It'll be alright.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Pinto

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 01:18:30 pm
Haven't others backed off of him due to an injury/surgery?

I'm not sure. How recent was this?

010HogFan

It's almost like years of seeing things like this happen haven't sunk in. The writing is on the wall now