Arkansas Recruiting class up to #16 per Rivals

Started by Wehm55, July 27, 2007, 09:42:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wehm55

Been Pumping Sunshine since I was born.

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: Wehm55 on July 27, 2007, 09:42:18 am
We will end up in the top 10.

Again, check the top 10 and how many 4/5 stars they have. We're already locked out of the top 10 regardless of who we sign now. Very close to being locked out of the top 15 as well.

MB Hog

For us to end up in the top 10, we'd have to sign some unexpected home runs and have the current signees move way up during the season.  Two many of the 4 and 5 star recruits will commit to the perennial powers and keep us out of the top 10.  I'm hoping to stay in the top 20.

However, I am very pleased with recruiting this year.  The biggest difference to me is we are getting most of our main targets and getting them early.  By doing so, we shouldn't have to sign a lot of last-minute plan B or C guys who are either projects or borderline on grades.

It should be a solid class that will help us compete at a high level in the SEC.

MB Hog

Hogstocking

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on July 27, 2007, 09:46:56 am

Again, check the top 10 and how many 4/5 stars they have. We're already locked out of the top 10 regardless of who we sign now. Very close to being locked out of the top 15 as well.

Arkansas is nowhere near being locked out of the top 15.

A top 15 class would be a minimum of 7 four stars, half of them would have to be 5.9s (or higher)..The over whelming majority of the three stars would HAVE to be 5.6s or higher.  Oklahoma State finished tied for 15 with 4 four stars in 2003, the followin year Alabama finished #15 with only 4 four stars.

Having said that, IMO this class will be in the 19,20,21 range.  It impossible to tell because RR, position and star ratings will change another 4 times before finalized.

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: Hogstocking on July 27, 2007, 09:53:31 am
Quote from: Razorhog2006q on July 27, 2007, 09:46:56 am

Arkansas is nowhere near being locked out of the top 15.

A top 15 class would be a minimum of 7 four stars, half of them would have to be 5.9s (or higher)..The over whelming majority of the three stars would HAVE to be 5.6s or higher.  Oklahoma State finished tied for 15 with 4 four stars in 2003, the followin year Alabama finished #15 with only 4 four stars.

Having said that, IMO this class will be in the 19,20,21 range.  It impossible to tell because RR, position and star ratings will change another 4 times before finalized.

You're correct. We aren't technically locked out, but it will be near impossible for us to get in with some of the consistently better powers still lacking a ton of committments.

SoTexHog

Before we get all excited about the ranking let's take a little peek inside the numbers.  Last year our 3* recruits averaged a Rivals score of 5.62.  So far this year they average 5.57.  To improve signifigantly over last year's ranking we will probably need to sign all the 4* targets on our list and have a some 2's and 3's move up.

Tomhog™

I feel Arkansas will end up around 18-22 at the end of it all.  Arkansas definitely has a head start and other school will catch up.  I'd be happy with a top 25 class.  With another successful season, I expect Arkansas to have an even better 2009 recruiting class.

Realist

The main thing is we are getting our A list recruits.  Not according to rivals maybe but the ones WE want.  We won't be trying to fill up the class late as people always accuse us of doing

geddie

As much as I enjoy seeing the stars and higher rankings, I really don't pay too close attention to them.  As we have talked about numerous times in the past, even the "experts" get it wrong.  I would gladly take several of our 2-3 star ranked guys in recent years over some of the 4 stars we have landed.  examples: Luigs, Fairchild, Houston, Anderson, Harrison, Monk vs. Chris Baker, Bledsoe.  Obviously McFadden, Jones, and Hillis are exceptions to this rule

geddie

Quote from: geddie on July 27, 2007, 10:46:29 am
As much as I enjoy seeing the stars and higher rankings, I really don't pay too close attention to them.  As we have talked about numerous times in the past, even the "experts" get it wrong.  I would gladly take several of our 2-3 star ranked guys in recent years over some of the 4 stars we have landed.  examples: Luigs, Fairchild, Houston, Anderson, Harrison, Monk vs. Chris Baker, Bledsoe.  Obviously McFadden, Jones, and Hillis are exceptions to this rule

I forgot that I excluded Kevin Thorton and Stumon from the 4* list

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Realist on July 27, 2007, 10:38:52 am
The main thing is we are getting our A list recruits.  Not according to rivals maybe but the ones WE want.  We won't be trying to fill up the class late as people always accuse us of doing

Thats exactly right. The is alot of politics in recruiting ranks. If we are getting our first options then this class should be very good.

Buck Brewer

TheShow

Doesn't rivals readjust the star levels accordingly after the season is over?  Say for instance, if we have another great year and some of these 3 star recruits have great senior seasons, I thought that I have seen where they will bump the stars based on either performance or by a commitment to a top D1 school?  Maybe I'm wrong.

rzrbckfan83

Hawgballz

Quote from: rzrbckfan83 on July 27, 2007, 06:55:36 pm
Who is #16, I dont see it on rivals

They are talking about Arkansas' team ranking not a 16th commit.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

monticello_hog

this is how auburn built their program up
getting 3 and 4 star guys early and getting the guys that were realistic, then they starting winning and they got better players

Mr. Perfect

This could easily be a top 15 class after all players are reevaluated

Hawgvillain

July 28, 2007, 12:22:49 am #18 Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:30:51 am by Hawgvillain
I'd like to echo what some other people in here have said.  I'm not real concerned with what our Rivals ranking ends up because we are getting the guys we want this year. 

Look at the list of commitments;  Look at the size and speed.  It's very good.  The list is littered with guys who run 4.4's-4.5's.  The linemen actually have the size to be linemen in the SEC (in other words they don't have to add 50 pounds).  We aren't talking guys like Reggie Fish here - the WR/DB are actually big enough to play with elite competition.  Just based on these guys' size and speed - there are very few who are big projects.  They have the athleticism to contribute early.  On top of that, one would think that we should see a large number of these guys actually make it to campus.  I'm guessing that if we are offering this early, they are likely to qualify - which is actually significant.  I would much rather have the number 15-20 class and get them all than have the Ole Miss recruiting classes from the last few years.  This class could be the best one in recent UofA history...Not because it gives us the star power of some of the other classes - but because it may finally give us the depth that some of these other SEC teams have.  How nice would it feel to have the depth chart have 2 quality players at every position...

By the way - I'm no sunshine pumper.  But this staff has finally decided to get on recruiting and it appears to be working.  They deserve some credit...

piggingout

There were a few gems in last years class, and I think this years is going to be a more solid class then last year.  If we end up with a top 20, I will be satisified with that.  Because if McFadden has a heisman type of year, we are going ot get a lot of recruites looking at us for next year.

jackflash

I also like the fact that they seem to be getting who they want. Would like to see a early signing period then the kids could enjoy their senior year. If Askew commits we have two DT who look like the may be able to play early. We been pretty successful moving kids around and finding position for them, the class is not done. Doesn't look like many will have to be moved say from Safety to Defensive end. The  thing the magazine can't tell you about is the heart or how much the want it.

Oklahawg

I've kinda found a new "logic" that I like and I'm gonna trot it out here, again, for you to kick about:

If UA has another 10-win season and is discussed in the BCS banter every week for 6 weeks (ie, like last year) then at some point the so-called payboard "gurus" will begin reconsidering HDN and his staff. Either they will decide they are incredible developers of talent. Or, they have an eye for talent that is very solid. Maybe its a combo of both. But, you can't have "weak recruiting" and "weak player development" AND have back-to-back 10-win seasons.

At that point, you'll see the payboard guys sitting up and paying attention to the players UA targets, especially early on. Those players will get their evaluation bumped based on the fact that UA is recruiting them. Why do you think Texas always has great recruiting classes? Because Bobby Burton provides Texas a paid-for recruiting service. It essentially means that no UT recruit will ever be lower than 4-stars, or very very high 3-stars, and that Texas will always give a look to players Burton really likes.

Same concept with UA.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I prefer to eval our recruiting on different standards than most:

1. do we get players we target early and expend a lot of resources recruiting? so far, so good
2. do we target players that don't need to project to a new position to be on the field at UA? (that adds a degree of the unknown into the mix)again, so far, so good
3. are we pursuing academic reaches/longshots, or are we pursuing players with solid academic (and character) backgrounds? impressive academics for many of these recruits
4. are we addressing pressing needs (positionally) as well as attempting to sign a balanced class? impressive effort addressing pressing needs AND getting a little bit of everything

The fewer slots left once September hits the more focus the staff will have. Less likely to have communication falter with topline recruits (a disturbing fault of UA recruiting in the past). Less likely to have on-field needs interfere with the spector of filling out the class (again, a disturbing fault from the past, when the October crisis on the field shut down recruiting off of the field).

Gotta get one more stud RB who is a slamdunk to make it on campus academically.

Gotta get one more OL and 1-2 more DL types.  Should push for one ready-to-go TE and 2 ready-to-go DBs (our biggest hole as best I can see, leading into the season).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

justmaybe

I still believe that if 4 yrs from now you look back you may find that last years class was pretty darn good. Not many headliners but solid guys across the board who can play in the SEC. THis class looks like it will be a notch up from that with the headliners coming on board.

If we can nab another top DL, OL, and LB along with the guys we think are already semi committed like Winston Guy this class may be better than all the rest. However I think with the guys we got back to back will provide depth that we haven't seen in a while.

I still think that across the board at all positions (except for DB last year) we are getting balanced classes that we haven't seen before. I do believe you can even go back an additional year when MM and DM came on board. We got some good lineman that year.

Another interesting tidbit. No Junior College guys this year except the one that committed decomitted or whatever his status is now.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 28, 2007, 12:53:19 pm
I prefer to eval our recruiting on different standards than most:

1. do we get players we target early and expend a lot of resources recruiting? so far, so good
2. do we target players that don't need to project to a new position to be on the field at UA? (that adds a degree of the unknown into the mix)again, so far, so good
3. are we pursuing academic reaches/longshots, or are we pursuing players with solid academic (and character) backgrounds? impressive academics for many of these recruits
4. are we addressing pressing needs (positionally) as well as attempting to sign a balanced class? impressive effort addressing pressing needs AND getting a little bit of everything

The fewer slots left once September hits the more focus the staff will have. Less likely to have communication falter with topline recruits (a disturbing fault of UA recruiting in the past). Less likely to have on-field needs interfere with the spector of filling out the class (again, a disturbing fault from the past, when the October crisis on the field shut down recruiting off of the field).

Gotta get one more stud RB who is a slamdunk to make it on campus academically.

Gotta get one more OL and 1-2 more DL types.  Should push for one ready-to-go TE and 2 ready-to-go DBs (our biggest hole as best I can see, leading into the season).

Good points all around.  I hadn't yet considered the effort/resources aspect.  Of course, it's going to be a lot easier (and probably cheaper) to try to recruit 5-10 more guys than trying to recruit 15-20 as in years past.  I wonder, if we save some resources on this class (since it's almost full) does that mean we will have more resources for next year's class.  I want to see us getting on the '09 guys in Dec./Jan.   Then we'd really be cooking...

Boner

Quote from: geddie on July 27, 2007, 10:48:04 am

You also exclueded Matt Stoltz, Mark Winston, Cedric Logan, and to a degree Bret Smith.

Historically speaking, you don't want to be a 4-star fom Arkansas.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Boner on July 28, 2007, 03:16:20 pm
Quote from: geddie on July 27, 2007, 10:48:04 am

You also exclueded Matt Stoltz, Mark Winston, Cedric Logan, and to a degree Bret Smith.

Historically speaking, you don't want to be a 4-star fom Arkansas.

That's a good point. A lot of the 4-star guys were bumped there as a courtesy: the national paysite gurus let the local gurus recommend a bump here and there as a way of spurring local subscriptions.