Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Reggie Herring recruit?

Started by geddie, July 26, 2007, 10:31:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geddie

I'm not questioning the man's ability to coach on the field.  I do enjoy his blitzing 4-3 scheme.  But does the man recruit?  Lee recruits.  Gus recruited.  I'm sure Thompson and Wommack recruited before him.  I remember seeing a post several months back stating that he pissed off the high school coaches of Arkansas.  It seems like he would do very well in the South Atlantic region where he has played and coached in the past.

It seems like he should be the one to recruit the likes of Arthur Brown.

Richard - Do you know of any players he has personally recruited?

Tomhog™

Herrings selects which players to recruit, but he's not a finisher.  He's not the coach you want in the living room to close the deal.  It isn't his forte.  You send your best recruiters on the road to do that.

jbhicks

He had a big hand in landing Jelani Smith. Also, he recruited Juwan Franklin last year. When he was down there, he saw Lerentee McCray (he is now a 4* LBer committed to Miami), and offered him shortly after. We obviously didn't land him, but he was a Florida guy, and it is hard to get them away from UF, FSU, and Miami. The man has an eye for talent, and knows what he is looking for in his players. He is also recruiting Jeff Little (PB Watson Chapel), who is an absolute specimen. He is 6'2, 220 and runs a 4.49. Little tore his ACL last year on the 3rd play of the game, so not many know about him. He will get an offer after the first or second game of the season if the knee holds up, and will be a Hog shortly after that.

Saying that, Herring is more of a talent evaluator and developer than a true recruiter.

mj4president

lol I have a funny story about him. One time LZ said he was somewhere and Herring offered his sister a cookie and she said she didnt want one then Herring said "take a cookie" lz said you could tell he was pissed but trying to be nice.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

PigPusher

He is a lot like another great Razorback Wilson Mathews.  Rough as a cob but one hell of a coach.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

jackflash

I can live with not being that great of recruiter, you know you better play hard for him, wish we had the same toughness out of our HC

Bomis Hawg

Herring makes his money on game day and in practices.  He knows his system and what players he needs.  He might select a few to go after, but I'm sure he lets the sellers do their job -- like Vaughn and Lee.

Buck Brewer

Herring has a hard on for Watson's Caple's Little. They just want answers on the knee.

nughaud

July 27, 2007, 10:07:52 am #8 Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:09:25 am by nughaud
Speaking of Herring, it'd be nice if we don't run man-to-man 99% of the time.  Mixing up zone coverage with man-to-man is the key to getting interceptions.  It seems Herring only knows how to play man-to-man and zone is something that he hasn't grasped how to blend into the mix. 

If a team knows you are going to play man all game, it's easier for them to prepare.  When you mix up zone with m2m, you keep them guessing all game.  Even the NFL plays a lot of zone and they have better CBs than Arkansas, there is a reason why you play zone.  I just wish we would utilize it more often.  It would allow our defense to be even more aggressive and the turnovers would could rolling in, not only through interceptions but from big hits.

flagstaffhog

If think that while Herring might not be as smooth as at "finisher," he would tell the recruit like it is without any whitewash to it. IMHO, Herring is from the Old School, and I'm glad we have him.....
Go HOGS Go!

jpenrod1

Quote from: nughaud on July 27, 2007, 10:07:52 am
Speaking of Herring, it'd be nice if we don't run man-to-man 99% of the time.  Mixing up zone coverage with man-to-man is the key to getting interceptions.  It seems Herring only knows how to play man-to-man and zone is something that he hasn't grasped how to blend into the mix. 

If a team knows you are going to play man all game, it's easier for them to prepare.  When you mix up zone with m2m, you keep them guessing all game.  Even the NFL plays a lot of zone and they have better CBs than Arkansas, there is a reason why you play zone.  I just wish we would utilize it more often.  It would allow our defense to be even more aggressive and the turnovers would could rolling in, not only through interceptions but from big hits.

He has been quoted as saying we wont run near as much man this year, because we dont have the personnel. Be ready to see him mix it up.