Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok, what's the deal with recruiting this year?

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, July 26, 2007, 05:57:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

HDN and his staff's have been notoriously late in offering recruits and have NEVER gotten this many commitments so early in the recruiting year.  What do you credit for this change?    :razorback:
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jbhicks

David Lee's experience in the NFL, Chris Vaughn being back on the recruiting trail, a 10-win season, a Heisman Trophy runnerup (and this year's Heisman frontrunner), SEC Coach of the Year, Pre-Season SEC Player of the Year, and preseason Top 15 team that should win no less than 9 games this year.

Yeah, I think that about covers it.

PigWig

Quote from: jbhicks on July 26, 2007, 06:02:48 pm
David Lee's experience in the NFL, Chris Vaughn being back on the recruiting trail, a 10-win season, a Heisman Trophy runnerup (and this year's Heisman frontrunner), SEC Coach of the Year, Pre-Season SEC Player of the Year, and preseason Top 15 team that should win no less than 9 games this year.

Beat me to it... ;D

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: jbhicks on July 26, 2007, 06:02:48 pm

I don't know about all the others but I think you may be right about the McFadden influence and the publicity he has brought to the program.  We've had coaches with NFL experience before.  We've had Chris Vaughn on the recruiting trail before.  We won 9 games in 1998 and went to the Capitol One Bowl(the name of it back then eludes me). We've been preseason ranked before(1999).  I think McFadden is they key. 
THANK YOU D-MAC

The Coletrain

Not to mention you've got a coach (and a staff for that matter) on the hot seat to a certain extent.  That has a way of moving people into action.   ;)

But teams like Texas and USC have changed the face of recruiting in recent years.  It's something every team is going to have to adjust to if they're going to stay competitive.  I'm just glad we're doing it sooner rather than later.  Imagine how nice our '09 class could be if we're done with all but the finishing touches on the '08 class in November.  I see a nice trend developing . . .       
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Shizzle

I think Nutt feels like he is backed into a corner and is coming out doing maybe his best recruiting of all time. David Lee is apparently doing a jam up job on the trail, I am excited. I think this is definitely a building block if we have another good season the 09 class could be even better.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

BravesHawg

Realist

I also think its ironic that the first time we sign everyone from Warren is the year that Arkansas negativity is the highest among fans in Arkansas.  When things are good they go to TN hah

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: The Coletrain on July 26, 2007, 06:15:33 pm
Not to mention you've got a coach (and a staff for that matter) on the hot seat to a certain extent.  That has a way of moving people into action.   ;)

But teams like Texas and USC have changed the face of recruiting in recent years.  It's something every team is going to have to adjust to if they're going to stay competitive.  I'm just glad we're doing it sooner rather than later.  Imagine how nice our '09 class could be if we're done with all but the finishing touches on the '08 class in November.  I see a nice trend developing . . .       
Quote from: BravesHawg on July 26, 2007, 06:58:03 pm
Houston Nutt, kids love him.
Good posts.

T-Bag Hawg

Imagine if they would have done this
EVERY YEAR?
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

The Coletrain

And while we're giving props to the coaching staff, might as well heap some recognition on the fellas that were willing to stick their neck out when it wasn't quite as popular to do so.  In-state guys like Matt Hall, Jim Youngblood, and Cruz Williams who decided to pull the trigger early and make known with whom they were casting their lot.  That made it a whole lot easier for the next wave of guys to tangibly see what we're doing and where we're going with this program.  It's a heckuva lot easier to jump on the bus when you've already got your buddies on board waiting for you!! 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Urgh

David Lee appears to be a much better recruiter than Gus..........

Okay I just said that to get everyone all riled up.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Urgh on July 26, 2007, 08:26:39 pm
David Lee appears to be a much better recruiter than Gus..........

Okay I just said that to get everyone all riled up.

David Lee recruits with the rest of the staff. Gus was out there on an island with this staff. Makes a difference. Oh, hey, maybe the fact that Gus had a few weeks makes a difference also.

David Lee was a glorified, well-paid, graduate assistant with the Cowgirls. But, the staff has been able to parlay that into some interest from recruits. Good.

Reggie has a plan and it is working.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

T-Bag Hawg

Reggie has a plan and it is working.
[/quote]

Maybe our next HC?
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

Buck Ocean

Quote from: T-Bag Hawg on July 26, 2007, 07:30:24 pm
EVERY YEAR?

Thats what I'm sayin.  Nutt got exposed in the text message fiasco when it was apparent that he wasnt doin any.  Recruits time and time again said Meyer and Carroll are sending text messages all the time.  Dont get me wrong, this aint everything about recruiting.  But I would seriously doubt any of his previous tactics.  Now, on the other hand, he is backed in a corner.  He has 30 percent of the state wanting his act gone.  On the other hand, if you sew up the Top 5 kids in the class by actually going to visit them...well, thats a start.  And the contact is earlier than usual for out of state kids.  Committments are coming in. 

And for the record, that David Lee talk has to be put to sleep.  Quarterbacks are quarterbacks...usually 100% of them were the hero for their high school conference, some the state.  These guys already know how to throw a football.  I hate hearing that Romo garbage.  The dude has played quarterback for 12 years...he was the stud on every level...so I dont credit David Lee for turning the guy into Superman.  He chose a handful of plays that brought out the best in Romo.  People for some reason think he taught  him how to throw with this opposite hand for 3,000 yards.  So whos a good coach?  Try Rocker.  Herring.  They took a guy who played wide receiver and was recruited at wide receiver and got him drafted in the top 10 as a Defensive End.  THATS COACHING.
Think like a Jedi

hogsmaster

Whatever it is, it feels better than last year in-state recruiting.  And I wouldn't have any other way.

JackJohnson

Quote from: T-Bag Hawg on July 26, 2007, 07:30:24 pm
EVERY YEAR?

See, that is what pisses me off the most. They are FINALLY using the vast resourses that most coaches only dream about and have already used to parlay those tools into CONTINUAL TOP 10 NATIONAL CLASSES, and BCS Bowl Games.

He is doing this just to make sure he is saving his ass.  That way he can say see, now that all that crap is behind me, this is how well i will recruit and you can't fire me or this bad ass class i have assembled (granted there is still some MAJOR PROJECTS in this class) will decommit.  Then once he gets a guaranteed lifetime contract, things will go back to how they have always been, pathetic and lazy...

The Boar War

Quote from: The Coletrain on July 26, 2007, 07:37:08 pm
And while we're giving props to the coaching staff, might as well heap some recognition on the fellas that were willing to stick their neck out when it wasn't quite as popular to do so.  In-state guys like Matt Hall, Jim Youngblood, and Cruz Williams who decided to pull the trigger early and make known with whom they were casting their lot.  That made it a whole lot easier for the next wave of guys to tangibly see what we're doing and where we're going with this program.  It's a heckuva lot easier to jump on the bus when you've already got your buddies on board waiting for you!! 

Great post!  I think there are a multitude of different things that have shored up recruiting but you can't substitute for good in-state players committing early.