Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense is just not aggresive enough!!

Started by FATHAWG08, September 26, 2017, 02:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

I wish we would  play more aggressive on defense instead of the  passive style we been playing for years. Does it matter if you play a 3/4 or 4/3 defense if your corners play off their man 7/10 yards on 3rd and 4?
I love off season Football!!

onebadrubi

I've said it for years (back to lsu beating us with a freshman throwing a deep ball over our defense), we are going to give up a few big plays a game.  It doesn't matter if we rush 4 and drop 7 it is going to happen.  Let's man up the WR's put a deep high safety and bring the dang house a few times a game.  If you sent greenlaw, ramsey, and eugene behind this line on a 1st and 10 you have a very good chance of having a 2nd and 16 with a lot of momentum.  I want to know why we aren't seeing it. 

No offense to any player, but we are sometimes outmatched on talent in the back end of this defense against some of the offense we play, lets try to even the score by blitzing.  WE NEVER bring more then they can block. 

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteDefense is just not aggresive enough!!

I agree. 

We need to be so aggresive on defense that we'll have to start spelling it with two "s".

aggsresive!

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

We need to do the same on offense.  Go Go Go.   I believe our players are tired of the slow motion offense with the D always knowing where you are likely to attack and are usually there to stop it.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawgzinbowlz

Both our defense and our offense are overly deliberate and pedestrian...We need our play, on both sides of the ball, to be faster paced, more dynamic and quit being so d@!* predictable.
We are stuck in this mode and I don't believe for one second we will improve to the point of winning the West with CBB as our coach...And I like the guy.

David†

Seems like we can't stop a big play anyway, might as well take a chance on a blitz or 2

EulessHog

This is the new... old reality.

We have to change staff.
Go Hogs Go!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HardCore

I miss the days of Connely and Hamlin getting in there and reeking havoc.  Yes, we need to get back to that aggressive defensive football.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

ballz2thewall

the glaring example of this goes waaaaaay back to kenny hill at atm....

we had'em on the board, and a 3d and long deep in their own territory.

so what do we do?

we give hill all day to find a receiver, and thus the edge to carve a stake that went through our heart.
The rest of the frog.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

you line up 7 yards off of a WR when you don't have the speed to cover him. There were some plays where Kirk was covered by 3 guys because none of them had the speed and athleticism to do it alone.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

It's absolutely maddening when you see the opponents blitz the everliving hell out of us and force our QB's into bad play and bad decisions yet we never seem to really attempt that ourselves. Instead we sit back w/ inferior athletes  and sometimes even when we have the athletic/talent advantage (Toledo, Texas Tech, TCU etc.) and let QB's pick us apart.

Bielema's defenses make pedestrian QB's look like Heisman candidates.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

jkstock04

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 26, 2017, 06:01:38 pm
I've said it for years (back to lsu beating us with a freshman throwing a deep ball over our defense), we are going to give up a few big plays a game.  It doesn't matter if we rush 4 and drop 7 it is going to happen.  Let's man up the WR's put a deep high safety and bring the dang house a few times a game.  If you sent greenlaw, ramsey, and eugene behind this line on a 1st and 10 you have a very good chance of having a 2nd and 16 with a lot of momentum.  I want to know why we aren't seeing it. 

No offense to any player, but we are sometimes outmatched on talent in the back end of this defense against some of the offense we play, lets try to even the score by blitzing.  WE NEVER bring more then they can block. 
I thought with this new defense we were supposed to be more aggressive and send in exotic looking stunts. Instead most of the time we get zero pressure on the qb.

Against A&M the obvious game plan was to sit back begging Mond to throw the football. Sometimes it looks pretty good, sometimes not. I personally would rather see us bring the house much more. Ya it's more risky but who the hell cares. Higher risk higher reward the way I see it.

Our coverage does overall look better than last year but when you have 8 guys running around out there in the backfield lord I hope it would.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

onebadrubi

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 27, 2017, 09:22:41 am
It's absolutely maddening when you see the opponents blitz the everliving hell out of us and force our QB's into bad play and bad decisions yet we never seem to really attempt that ourselves. Instead we sit back w/ inferior athletes  and sometimes even when we have the athletic/talent advantage (Toledo, Texas Tech, TCU etc.) and let QB's pick us apart.

Bielema's defenses make pedestrian QB's look like Heisman candidates.

That's been an Arkansas thing for a decade.

code red

It is not scheme.  It's personell.  We need some SEC type bodies out there.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2017, 11:24:28 am

no no no, it is all want to, don't you read hogville.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

31to6

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2017, 11:24:28 am
You have to coach what you have. You have what you can get.

Wishing for the mythical top-10 recruiting classes is just going to end up in frustration.

Great coaches have gameplans that emphasize the strengths of their players. We seem to have a defense that tries (and fails) to mask their deficiencies. We have playmakers on defense--but even they are not allowed to just go make some plays.

J-Five

I totally agree with this post.  I wish the defense would blitz more and actually make the opposition make a quick decision.  On a side note, am I the only one who hates the fact that Bielema ALWAYS accepts the ball when we win the toss.  I'm all about deferring and getting the ball after halftime, for the most important half.. Just my 2 cents...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

31to6

Quote from: J-Five on September 27, 2017, 12:50:05 pm
I totally agree with this post.  I wish the defense would blitz more and actually make the opposition make a quick decision.  On a side note, am I the only one who hates the fact that Bielema ALWAYS accepts the ball when we win the toss.  I'm all about deferring and getting the ball after halftime, for the most important half.. Just my 2 cents...
I don't mind accepting if you have a good chance to score. If your premise is ball control, it's better to have a 7 point lead and 8 minutes off the clock before the opponents touch the ball for the first time.

Of course you still have to hold your water for 60 minutes....

Hogs run wild

that's cuz we play a "bend but don't break" type of style. you know, to prevent the same long plays that got us killed saturday.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Al Boarland

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on September 27, 2017, 12:19:53 pm

Wishing for the mythical top-10 recruiting classes is just going to end up in frustration.

Great coaches have gameplans that emphasize the strengths of their players. We seem to have a defense that tries (and fails) to mask their deficiencies. We have playmakers on defense--but even they are not allowed to just go make some plays.

If what I can get on D is not as good as what my opponent gets on offense I am in trouble. If my db's are a step slower than my opponents wr's, then I pretty much have to play bend but don't break type of D or I am going to get beat time and again.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

31to6

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2017, 01:18:35 pm
If what I can get on D is not as good as what my opponent gets on offense I am in trouble. If my db's are a step slower than my opponents wr's, then I pretty much have to play bend but don't break type of D or I am going to get beat time and again.
I disagree.

Football is becoming more and more a game of matchups. That is the whole premise of the spread offense. It's a story of not so much can your best DB cover their best WR, but can they get a big possession WR in a matchup with a 5'11" safety? Can they force your thumper LB to cover a Hunter Henry? Etc.

If you play bend but don't break then you are sitting back on your heels conceding the initiative to the offense. By conceding the initiative you put yourself in a position where the other team gets to define the matchups.

If you play a more aggressive style, even with some lesser talent, at the very least *you* are defining the matchups--or at least having input into the matchups, which gives you a chance of having your best players in a position to force a big play more often.

JaketheSnake

Maybe that's our problem.  We believe we can control the clock by playing defense at a slower pace. BRILLIANT!

moses_007

Kevin

do we ever blitz the a gap, like teams do use all the time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on September 27, 2017, 01:49:47 pm
I disagree.

Football is becoming more and more a game of matchups. That is the whole premise of the spread offense. It's a story of not so much can your best DB cover their best WR, but can they get a big possession WR in a matchup with a 5'11" safety? Can they force your thumper LB to cover a Hunter Henry? Etc.

If you play bend but don't break then you are sitting back on your heels conceding the initiative to the offense. By conceding the initiative you put yourself in a position where the other team gets to define the matchups.

If you play a more aggressive style, even with some lesser talent, at the very least *you* are defining the matchups--or at least having input into the matchups, which gives you a chance of having your best players in a position to force a big play more often.

Being more aggressive does not dictate the matchups, at least not in a good way. If you blitz, that often leaves a safety or LB trying to cover a wideout. The matchups are determined by offensive formation. And, lets assume for a minute you are right, if my db's are not as good as your receivers, I am in trouble.

code red

The Defense is not aggressive because there is way too much thinking going on out there.  Lbers need to start reacting and not thinking.   
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

sooiebaby

I too would like to see more blitzing and pressure on the QB, but theres two fundamental issues that prevent that for us.

1. Offenses we've been playing are not play action teams like we are. If the ball is out of the QB's hands quickly, you've just completely pissed away your blitz and now your secondary has to make solid open field tackles to prevent more big plays. Which leads directly into the second issue...

2. If you bring pressure, especially in a "jailbreak" type scenario.....you better have some damn athletes behind that first level of defenders who understand their assignments/zones well enough to not get caught with their pants down if your blitz doesnt get home in time. In our first year of a new scheme, i promise we're not to that point yet, even if we had the horses in the back end.

We're a conservative keep the ball in front of us and gang tackle team right now, and will be until further notice....
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

oldhog63

I would much rather lose a game "going all out" than lose one playing passive and be picked apart.

oldhog63

Quote from: sooiebaby on September 29, 2017, 10:54:45 am
I too would like to see more blitzing and pressure on the QB, but theres two fundamental issues that prevent that for us.

1. Offenses we've been playing are not play action teams like we are. If the ball is out of the QB's hands quickly, you've just completely pissed away your blitz and now your secondary has to make solid open field tackles to prevent more big plays. Which leads directly into the second issue...

2. If you bring pressure, especially in a "jailbreak" type scenario.....you better have some damn athletes behind that first level of defenders who understand their assignments/zones well enough to not get caught with their pants down if your blitz doesnt get home in time. In our first year of a new scheme, i promise we're not to that point yet, even if we had the horses in the back end.

We're a conservative keep the ball in front of us and gang tackle team right now, and will be until further notice....
And I think that for every big play you give up due to #1 and #2, you make it back with a big play on defense. Right now, we concede 4-7 yards every play and hope the offense makes a mistake before they can drive the length of the field. I would rather take my chances on dictating the action instead of playing catch.

sooiebaby

Quote from: oldhog63 on September 29, 2017, 11:52:39 am
And I think that for every big play you give up due to #1 and #2, you make it back with a big play on defense. Right now, we concede 4-7 yards every play and hope the offense makes a mistake before they can drive the length of the field. I would rather take my chances on dictating the action instead of playing catch.

I respectfully disagree about making it up with a big play on defense. If you bring the house, leaving man to man on the outside with lets say, single high saftey coverage and that reciever slips inside your corner, and manages to hose the safety....well thats an easy 6. I would much rather make them prove to me they can execute time and time again to beat me instead of making me look silly with potential big plays. Obviously that is the mindset this staff has taken as well, for better or worse.

Our defense played well enough to win against TCU (save the last 5 minutes) and just gave up far too many of those big plays we're discussing against A&M. If we dont screw the pooch on those handful of plays and force A&M to execute every single play  like this defense is designed to do.....we probably win by 2 scores or more.
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

1highhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 26, 2017, 06:01:38 pm

I don't think with this current defense we could bring enough players that they can't block.

WaltonCollege

We aren't aggressive, we have no push up front, Agim gets doubled every play, Jackson and Smith have not shown any real consistency or big plays. On the rushing touchdown atm scored right before the half their o-line sealed those 3 with one arm as they comboed their way to running over our backers. Our safeties can't tackle, corners are iffy. Lack of SEC bodies, play calling, aggression, mindset. These are all major factors.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 31to6 on September 27, 2017, 12:19:53 pm

Exactly, we keep trying to hedge to the short and intermediate passing game and RPO's but our pre-snap alignment on first and second down allows a competent offense 4-6 yards a run or bubble screen etc. I don't see anybody with as soft an alignment in the back 7 or 8 that we have. I just do not get it, you help the OL out on run plays find and move to an angle that intercepts the LBs. anybody who has ever had to scrape up on a LB knows the more distance the easier to get the correct angle. The opposing guards and tackles have no problem pulling off combo blocks because of time and distance, we make it simple for them to get up to the second level.

oldhog63

Quote from: sooiebaby on September 29, 2017, 04:20:59 pm
I respectfully disagree about making it up with a big play on defense. If you bring the house, leaving man to man on the outside with lets say, single high saftey coverage and that reciever slips inside your corner, and manages to hose the safety....well thats an easy 6. I would much rather make them prove to me they can execute time and time again to beat me instead of making me look silly with potential big plays. Obviously that is the mindset this staff has taken as well, for better or worse.

Our defense played well enough to win against TCU (save the last 5 minutes) and just gave up far too many of those big plays we're discussing against A&M. If we dont screw the pooch on those handful of plays and force A&M to execute every single play  like this defense is designed to do.....we probably win by 2 scores or more.
I am not saying to bring the house every play or even a majority of the time. But we don't do anything to disrupt the flow of the offense. And, as the game goes on, the offense get more comfortable and executes even better at a time when our defense is wearing down.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Ward on September 29, 2017, 05:45:11 pm
Wrong

Linebackers were missing reads

Had nothing to do with lack of aggression
Wrong

Linebackers sitting back missing tackles.

I would like us to make a play behind the LOS. Why wouldn't you pressure a true Freshmen QB?
I love off season Football!!

LZH

Like it or not, we don't have the LB's or a NG to run a true 3-4, and our secondary is slow. Besides, even if we rushed six, there's a good chance we'll have six missed tackles. We knew there were gonna be some major growing pains by going 3-4.

But i, too, want to see us go all out and take more chances.

Potosihog

I keep hearing we don't have the horses.  Yet it seems every year we send a guy to the NFL who had very few sacks in our defense but looks very good rushing the qb in the NFL. (Wise for example).

When your scheme doesn't allow your talent to rush but teaches them to just hold the gap play after play, you get what we have....No pressure.

I may be over reading body language but a couple games ago Agim let go of his gap assignment and sacked a qb who was rolling out.  He got up, looked at the coaches, and his body language looked like he was saying "see, if you let me rush up field I can get there". Anyone else notice that?