Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prepare For Post Saban SEC

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 24, 2017, 10:15:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 24, 2017, 10:58:50 am
Has any coach ever followed a retiring legend successfully? The odds of success are low -- and the bar to be measured as a success is ridiculously high.
Bret Bielema...

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 10:47:56 am
The subject of this thread is interesting. We all know that it makes logical sense that at some point ole Nick will move on. Even HE'S not immortal, despite Tide fans looking his as a god.  ;) My only question is short of death what will prompt him to move to his next phase. Will some type of illness motivate him to finally pass the reigns? Or will he finally have enough of winning championships and decide to finally "kick back" and enjoy more time with his family? The guy has far more money that he could spend in three life times. Unfortunately my impression tells me that short of one of these factors he's going to continue coaching for a while. He's the type guy that just lives to work, rather than working to live. He's obsessed with winning and loves the challenge each new season brings.

Bear Bryant has 6 NC's at Alabama.  Saban has 4 there, but has 1 at LSU.  He will need 2 more to pass Bear.  I think he coaches until he has the record.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 24, 2017, 03:54:25 pm
Bear Bryant has 6 NC's at Alabama.  Saban has 4 there, but has 1 at LSU.  He will need 2 more to pass Bear.  I think he coaches until he has the record.
Could be. However, let's say he gets those two in say the next couple of years. This still puts him just below 70 years of age. While I certainly have no clue as to what the man might be thinking at that point, he very well might just say "I'm still having a lot of fun, my juices are still flowing so that I still get great enjoyment out of meeting the challenge.  Therefore, I think I'll keep going for a while longer". Perhaps just as likely as your premise. Then again, we all know the future has a way of making fools of us all.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 24, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
Even without Saban, Alabama will continue to dominate.  Saban has built a machine of recruiting, the likes of which has not been seen before in college football,  and it will continue on because of the Alabama name.  They will get whatever coach they want (or just about) because of the opportunity to coach at Alabama, and they will continue on. That is what happens when you have a coach that builds an incredible dynasty out of a football program.
Every school, and that includes Alabama, goes through cycles. No doubt their tradition and their out of this world passion for the game makes it less likely they would be down for long, however, it still happens. NO program's immune to the laws of gravity-everything that goes up must at some point come down. The real questions are how far that fall might be and for how long?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 24, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
Even without Saban, Alabama will continue to dominate.  Saban has built a machine of recruiting, the likes of which has not been seen before in college football,  and it will continue on because of the Alabama name.  They will get whatever coach they want (or just about) because of the opportunity to coach at Alabama, and they will continue on. That is what happens when you have a coach that builds an incredible dynasty out of a football program.

Then that should have held true after the Bear but before Saban got to Bama..............the only one that did win big and dominate any at all was Stallings.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

root_hawg

Dabo will not be the first call, Jimbo will be called first,  Dabo second.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 04:21:07 pm
Then that should have held true after the Bear but before Saban got to Bama..............the only one that did win big and dominate any at all was Stallings.

The point you made is one that many fans tend to either forget or ignore. Research shows that practically all storied football programs have periods of lean success with coaching changes. Another poster mentioned some of those earlier.

Bud Wilkerson at OK had the most consecutive wins at one time but there were some lean years between him and Bob Stoops, except for Barry Switzer. G. Faust at Notre Dame after their run of success. Three coaches barely reached 50% wins at AL between the Bear and Saban.

Then as the other poster mentioned you have similar occurrences at Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. etc.  So it's just as important, or maybe more so, to have the right coach than to be located in a hotbed of recruits. Of course getting good players is important but foremost they must have proper coaching.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: USChog on October 24, 2017, 11:51:26 am
Maybe Saban will take on one last challenge and resurrect the Arkansas progam!

hah, all joking aside, Alabama will win the west every year until Nick is gone. That place is a football factory.

Actually, along those lines... is there another Spurrier out there willing to take a job to test himself?

The OBC is somehow underrated... 3 11-win seasons in a row at South Carolina?  Amazing.  AND he did it with running the ball and defense.

cram224

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 24, 2017, 10:47:07 am
I agree with you about JL but my answer to that is that JL is not in charge here. He is acting on orders from above.
With a vote of confidence.

cram224

I live in Buford, Ga just down the road from Clemson. Guy's take a look at the top 300 high school players and Ga is up there in numbers. He can recruit the same Ga players to Clemson better than Alabama. Plus, Dabo is one of the best coaches I have ever heard give a talk , he's been at Buford's FCA dinner. Yes, Buford is one of the top programs in Ga. He is getting that train a rolling and recruits want to play for him. Clemson hasn't really recruited national yet, but they will. Alabama is home but, Clemson is Dabo. This is coming from a diehard Razorback fan.

Steef

Quote from: root_hawg on October 24, 2017, 04:58:02 pm
Dabo will not be the first call, Jimbo will be called first,  Dabo second.

Chris Peterson.

hog.goblin

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 24, 2017, 01:26:12 pm
Well, what if Long hires one of the 4 or 5 names that have repeatedly been mentioned here as being a good hire.  What would be the problem then?

Well there are a lot names being mentioned here as good hires that I don't think are good hires.

Sure, he could pull it off.  But I don't trust him to.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 24, 2017, 11:00:35 am
I don't think our recruiting is as bad as we think. Florida and LSU get 5* players and they still look average. Coaching makes the difference. When you have true freshmen starting over players that have been in your system 3 or 4 years, its an indictment on your coaching ability
Florida has not recruited as well with McElwain.  He is a mediocre recruiter.  They will always do well because of location and name but not as well as they should. Their talent level has dropped significantly  since Muschamp left, especially on defense where Will recruited very well.  LSU has lost a ton of talent to the NFL, mostly underclassmen the last few years so their roster is not as experienced and they have had some injuries. And Miles under achieved year after year. 

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 24, 2017, 11:20:08 am
And he looks and acts like he is 45.

He surely does, and he has 3 more national championships to win to pass up The Bear.  Bear had six at Bama; Saban stands at four.  And I mean championships won while coaching at Bama, not overall.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: cram224 on October 24, 2017, 06:40:44 pm
I live in Buford, Ga just down the road from Clemson. Guy's take a look at the top 300 high school players and Ga is up there in numbers. He can recruit the same Ga players to Clemson better than Alabama. Plus, Dabo is one of the best coaches I have ever heard give a talk , he's been at Buford's FCA dinner. Yes, Buford is one of the top programs in Ga. He is getting that train a rolling and recruits want to play for him. Clemson hasn't really recruited national yet, but they will. Alabama is home but, Clemson is Dabo. This is coming from a diehard Razorback fan.

So Dabo? He's not going anywhere.

Or is the point that you can hire a very talented assistant no one knows and if he is great, he can win at a high level?

Not sure I understand your point...

LRHawg

Quote from: clutch on October 24, 2017, 01:01:39 pm
I think Saban coaches until he has the record for most NC's. Wish he could have won last year to speed that process up.

Seriously. Just let him have his damn championships so he'll go away. Once(if) he beats Bear then I think he's done.